|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who awakens Thomas as he sleeps in the Med-jack area of the Homestead in Chapter Twenty-Two?
2. Where does Newt say he was injured as a Runner in Chapter Fifteen?
3. What group of Gladers are the only ones allowed to go into the Maze?
4. Who awakens Thomas in Chapter Six?
5. Where does Thomas go to sleep for the night in the beginning of Chapter Twenty-Nine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thomas do when he is surrounded by Grievers in Chapter Twenty-One?
2. How are Thomas and Minho greeted when they return to the Glade in Chapter Twenty-Two?
3. What happens when Thomas, Newt, and Chuck go to the Homestead to see Alby in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
4. How does Thomas go about rescuing Alby in Chapter Eighteen?
5. How do the Keepers respond to Minho's suggestion at the Gathering in Chapter Twenty-Five? What does Minho say to back up his suggestion?
6. What does Newt take Thomas to see in Chapter Six? What frightens Thomas in this setting?
7. Where does Thomas go in response to the experience of telepathy with the girl in Chapter Twenty-Nine? What does he do?
8. What decision do the Keepers reach regarding Thomas at the Gathering in Chapter Twenty-Six?
9. Who arrives to protect Thomas when he is threatened in Chapter Eleven? What ensues?
10. Where does Minho take Thomas to equip him as a Runner in Chapter Thirty-Two? What equipment does Thomas receive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social structure within the Glade. How are decisions made amongst the Gladers? How do you think the Gladers came to establish this type of society? Consider the characters in the novel The Lord of the Flies. How does the society established in that novel differ from the boys’ society in the Glade?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the publication and genre of The Maze Runner. How many novels has the author written? What genres is he notable for? How did the Maze Runner fare critically upon publication? Do you agree or disagree with critics of the novel? In what ways?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the narrative style of the novel. Is the story related from a first, second, or third person narrator? Is the narrator involved in the action of the story? Is the story told from a present or past tense? Why do you think the author made these choices? How would the story differ if the narrative style were changed?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)