|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Runner claim he saw a dead Griever in the beginning of Chapter Thirteen?
2. Who does Alby say Thomas was with in his memory of him during the Changing in Chapter Thirty-One?
3. The gravestone that looks the oldest in the cemetery has what name painted on it in Chapter Ten?
4. What does Alby tell Thomas he remembers in the Med-jack ward in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
5. Who screams at Thomas to stop as he runs past the closing Doors into the Maze in Chapter Sixteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Chuck relate to Thomas when he visits him in recovery in Chapter Twenty-Three?
2. What decision do the Keepers reach regarding Thomas at the Gathering in Chapter Twenty-Six?
3. Where does Thomas go in response to the experience of telepathy with the girl in Chapter Twenty-Nine? What does he do?
4. How is the setting of the Slammer described in Chapter Thirty? How would you describe Thomas's experience there?
5. Who comes to release Thomas from the Slammer in Chapter Thirty-One? What information does Thomas learn from this character?
6. How do the Keepers respond to Minho's suggestion at the Gathering in Chapter Twenty-Five? What does Minho say to back up his suggestion?
7. What occurs when Thomas approaches the East Door, despite Chuck's warnings, in Chapter Four?
8. Where does Minho take Thomas to equip him as a Runner in Chapter Thirty-Two? What equipment does Thomas receive?
9. What does Alby tell Thomas about his history in the Glade in Chapter Seven? What does he reveal about the Maze?
10. How are Thomas and Minho greeted when they return to the Glade in Chapter Twenty-Two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of memory in The Maze Runner. Why is memory an important aspect of the story? How does this theme relate to the theme of trust? How is memory symbolized throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the reactions of the Gladers when Thomas and Minho return to the Glade after first spending the night in the Maze. Why is this activity so profound to the Gladers? How do you think this has changed the way that Thomas is perceived by the others? How does it change their perception of the Maze?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the publication and genre of The Maze Runner. How many novels has the author written? What genres is he notable for? How did the Maze Runner fare critically upon publication? Do you agree or disagree with critics of the novel? In what ways?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)