|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thomas get out of the Box in Chapter One?
2. Where does Newt say he was injured as a Runner in Chapter Fifteen?
3. Who comes to the Gathering to announce that Alby is thrashing about and calling to speak to someone in Chapter Twenty-Six?
4. What does Frypan leave out for dinner for Thomas when he's released from the Slammer in Chapter Thirty-One?
5. Who awakens Thomas in Chapter Six?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the setting described that Thomas finds himself in after exiting the Box in Chapter Two? Who surrounds him?
2. What do the leaders of the Gladers do upon the arrival of the girl in Chapter Nine? How is the girl's condition described?
3. What does Thomas do when Minho collapses in Chapter Twelve? What has Minho found?
4. What does Newt take Thomas to see in Chapter Six? What frightens Thomas in this setting?
5. How is the protagonist introduced in Chapter One? What history is established for this character in the first paragraphs of the novel?
6. What occurs when Thomas approaches the East Door, despite Chuck's warnings, in Chapter Four?
7. What does Alby tell Thomas about his history in the Glade in Chapter Seven? What does he reveal about the Maze?
8. Where does Minho take Thomas to equip him as a Runner in Chapter Thirty-Two? What equipment does Thomas receive?
9. What information does Thomas learn from Newt about the Runners in Chapter Fifteen?
10. How does Thomas escape the Griever at the Wall in Chapter Twenty? What does he encounter next?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the publication and genre of The Maze Runner. How many novels has the author written? What genres is he notable for? How did the Maze Runner fare critically upon publication? Do you agree or disagree with critics of the novel? In what ways?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the Glade. How large is this setting? How are the Walls described that surround the Glade? What are the sections that the Glade is divided into and what is each section’s purpose?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the narrative style of the novel. Is the story related from a first, second, or third person narrator? Is the narrator involved in the action of the story? Is the story told from a present or past tense? Why do you think the author made these choices? How would the story differ if the narrative style were changed?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)