|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Runner that has collapsed in Chapter Twelve?
2. What does Alby tell Newt to protect as he drifts back to sleep in the end of Chapter Twenty-Seven?
3. Whom does Thomas rescue by lifting him through the vines in Chapter Eighteen?
4. What is one aspect that Newt describes happening to a person during the Changing in Chapter Twenty-Three?
5. Who are the Gladers that are in charge of using the pole during the Banishment of Ben in Chapter Fourteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Minho take Thomas to equip him as a Runner in Chapter Thirty-Two? What equipment does Thomas receive?
2. What does Thomas do when Minho collapses in Chapter Twelve? What has Minho found?
3. What does Thomas encounter as he makes his way back to the Glade in Chapter Ten? Who leaps out and frightens Thomas?
4. How is the setting described that Thomas finds himself in after exiting the Box in Chapter Two? Who surrounds him?
5. How does Alby describe the structure and divisions within the Glade? What is each area's designation?
6. What information does Thomas learn from Newt about the Runners in Chapter Fifteen?
7. What statements and suggestions are made at the Gathering regarding Thomas in Chapter Twenty-Four?
8. What occurs when Thomas approaches the East Door, despite Chuck's warnings, in Chapter Four?
9. How is the setting of the Slammer described in Chapter Thirty? How would you describe Thomas's experience there?
10. What do the leaders of the Gladers do upon the arrival of the girl in Chapter Nine? How is the girl's condition described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Teresa in the novel. How old is Teresa? How does she explain her connection to Thomas? What are the immediate memories that Teresa describes after she’s awaken? Do you think that Teresa appears to be a trustworthy character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Gally in the novel. What are the reasons for Gally’s distrust of Thomas? Where does Gally claim to know Thomas from? What happens to Gally in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the deliberation of the Keepers and their decision for Thomas’s punishment and assignment after saving Alby in the Maze. Do you believe that the Keepers chose a fair plan for Thomas? Why or why not? How does Thomas respond to the plan?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)