|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What section of the Glade are the Track-hoes in charge of maintaining?
2. What is Thomas's punishment for breaking the number one rule of the Gladers in Chapter Twenty-Six?
3. Who does Newt say has run off and disappeared in Chapter Twenty-Eight?
4. Minho tells Thomas that at least how many Gladers have died in the Maze in Chapter Seventeen?
5. What is the name that new arrivals in the Glade are called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Thomas, Newt, and Chuck go to the Homestead to see Alby in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
2. How does Alby describe the structure and divisions within the Glade? What is each area's designation?
3. How do the Keepers respond to Minho's suggestion at the Gathering in Chapter Twenty-Five? What does Minho say to back up his suggestion?
4. What does Thomas encounter once he's inside the Maze in Chapter Seventeen? What are Minho and Alby doing?
5. What does Thomas encounter as he makes his way back to the Glade in Chapter Ten? Who leaps out and frightens Thomas?
6. Who comes to release Thomas from the Slammer in Chapter Thirty-One? What information does Thomas learn from this character?
7. Where does Minho take Thomas to equip him as a Runner in Chapter Thirty-Two? What equipment does Thomas receive?
8. How does Thomas escape the Griever at the Wall in Chapter Twenty? What does he encounter next?
9. What decision do the Keepers reach regarding Thomas at the Gathering in Chapter Twenty-Six?
10. Where does Thomas go in response to the experience of telepathy with the girl in Chapter Twenty-Nine? What does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the narrative style of the novel. Is the story related from a first, second, or third person narrator? Is the narrator involved in the action of the story? Is the story told from a present or past tense? Why do you think the author made these choices? How would the story differ if the narrative style were changed?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the process of “the Changing” that occurs in The Maze Runner. How did the Changing affect Ben’s behavior? What do you think Ben’s Changing foreshadowed in the narrative? What does Thomas expect from Alby’s Changing? What does Thomas experience in the Changing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Thomas’s discoveries in the falling action and denouement of the narrative. What does Thomas discover about “the Flare” and the history of the world. Why were the Gladers taken and placed in the Glade? What indications of foreshadowing in the novel’s ending suggest further novels to come?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)