|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is McAdam during the fight with the French?
2. What do the sailors call a dugong?
3. What does Aubrey do with some of his ships before going to Rodriquez?
4. Which ship does Aubrey recapture?
5. How does Maturin feel about McAdam's alcoholism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much attention is given to the treatment of both wounds and illnesses by Maturin and McAdam. Maturin, in particular seems to be far more advanced than the typical doctor of that era. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast the medical remedies Maturin uses in Mauritius to that which would be done in our modern world.
2. Many wars are partially, if not completely, determined by factors other than the actual fighting. One of those factors is disease. Research and discuss how epidemics/pandemics have influenced the outcome of three different wars throughout history.
3. Discuss some of the medical remedies Maturin performs/uses that were probably not used in that era.
Essay Topic 2
When one of the sailors on board Aubrey's ship has a skull fracture and subsequent operation, Aubrey links his chances of a successful naval battle with the successful recovery of the injured seaman. Aubrey, though very bright in many ways, is somewhat superstitious, a trait common to many sailors. Discuss the following:
1. What is superstition? Can you name a few common superstitions? Do any of them seem to have any validity in logic?
2. Why do you think sailors have the reputation for being superstitious? Do you think it is true? What superstitions are mentioned in Mauritius Command?
3. What are some of the superstitions you are familiar with that sailors seem to believe? Do you believe any of them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
While Maturin is aboard Clonfert's vessel, he and McAdam, the Clonfert's surgeon, endlessly discuss whether it is worse to be addicted to alcohol (as McAdam) or opium (as Maturin). Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Maturin or McAdam's addiction is worse or about the same? Discuss using examples both from the text and your personal experience.
2. Do you think most people have one or more addictions? Why or why not?
3. Do you think some addictions are harder to discontinue than others? Why or why not?
4. Should one strive to be completely without addictions of any sort? Why or why not?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)