|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the Raisonable after the squadron returns to Cape Town?
2. How long does it take Rodriquez to capitulate?
3. What French ship is anchored south of the French fleet in a protected area?
4. At what is Aubrey furious at their destination?
5. Who cares for Maturin medically?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most of the entire series of novels concerning Captain Jack Aubrey takes place during the Napoleonic Wars; therefore understanding the political and social situation during that time helps to a greater understanding and appreciation of this book and others in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the Napoleonic Wars begin and end.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the naval aspect of the Napoleonic Wars between Britain and France.
3. Compare/Contrast the importance of the British navy during the Napoleonic Wars to the importance of the British navy during either WWI or WWII.
4. Write an expository essay on how the Napoleonic War affects the social culture of one of the following countries: Britian, France, or Spain.
Essay Topic 2
When one of the sailors on board Aubrey's ship has a skull fracture and subsequent operation, Aubrey links his chances of a successful naval battle with the successful recovery of the injured seaman. Aubrey, though very bright in many ways, is somewhat superstitious, a trait common to many sailors. Discuss the following:
1. What is superstition? Can you name a few common superstitions? Do any of them seem to have any validity in logic?
2. Why do you think sailors have the reputation for being superstitious? Do you think it is true? What superstitions are mentioned in Mauritius Command?
3. What are some of the superstitions you are familiar with that sailors seem to believe? Do you believe any of them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Clonfert holds Aubrey in high regard but also feels professional rivalry that occasionally borders on outright hostility. This continues throughout the novel, seriously clouds Clonfert's judgment, and drives Clonfert into a suicidal attack toward the end of the novel. Discuss the following:
1. Is professional rivalry between commanders on the same "side" helpful or harmful to the goal of winning a battle and/or war? Explain using examples from the book.
2. Competition in many forms is an acceptable state in most cultures. Do you think competition is a positive attribute of our culture? Explain with examples.
3. What happens when competition becomes obsession? Give examples.
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)