|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what abstract human characteristic does Maturin ponder?
2. What happens to the ships in Cape Town?
3. Why does Maturin receive a huge sum of gold?
4. What does Farquhar become?
5. What kind of propaganda does Maturin disperse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maturin insists that the local citizens are not harmed during the conquest of La Reunion. Discuss one of the following:
1. How often do you think "innocent" civilians are killed during a war or conflict?
2. Is it immoral to harm non-combatants during a conflict? What if those non-combatants support their government's policies about the war/conflict?
3. In WWII, the US government targeted two cities in Japan with atomic bombs. The targets were not military targets and the intent was to kill as many people as possible, no matter their age, sex, or status. Is this an acceptable way to end a war?
Essay Topic 2
Mauritius and spreads anti-French propaganda, including the singularly decisive information that Napoleon has been subjected to the greater excommunication of the Catholic Church. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think it matters that much that a military officer and head of state has been excommunicated?
2. Would you be willing to follow someone who has been excommunicated if you are Catholic? If you are not Catholic, would you be willing to follow someone with very different religious viewpoints than your own? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it would matter to the American people if John Kennedy had been excommunicated when he was the President? What about to Catholic Americans?
Essay Topic 3
In addition to understanding the war in which O'Brian's novels are set, it is quite helpful to have a basic understanding of nautical terminology and the types of ships and their armaments that were used during the early 1800s. Discuss the following:
1. Define ten of the most commonly-used shipboard terms and discuss how those terms are used in Mauritius.
2. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the ships used in the early 1800s?
3. How is the British navy organized during this period (early 1800s) and how different do you think it is organized today (including how one rises in rank).
4. Compare/contrast one of the naval battles described in the novel with one from WWII.
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)