|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Maturin and McAdam continue to do?
2. What is one interest in mental health Maturin has?
3. Who joins Clonfert and takes command?
4. What else physically happens to Maturin?
5. What did Clonfert finally decide to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Maturin is aboard Clonfert's vessel, he and McAdam, the Clonfert's surgeon, endlessly discuss whether it is worse to be addicted to alcohol (as McAdam) or opium (as Maturin). Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Maturin or McAdam's addiction is worse or about the same? Discuss using examples both from the text and your personal experience.
2. Do you think most people have one or more addictions? Why or why not?
3. Do you think some addictions are harder to discontinue than others? Why or why not?
4. Should one strive to be completely without addictions of any sort? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In addition to understanding the war in which O'Brian's novels are set, it is quite helpful to have a basic understanding of nautical terminology and the types of ships and their armaments that were used during the early 1800s. Discuss the following:
1. Define ten of the most commonly-used shipboard terms and discuss how those terms are used in Mauritius.
2. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the ships used in the early 1800s?
3. How is the British navy organized during this period (early 1800s) and how different do you think it is organized today (including how one rises in rank).
4. Compare/contrast one of the naval battles described in the novel with one from WWII.
Essay Topic 3
Most of the entire series of novels concerning Captain Jack Aubrey takes place during the Napoleonic Wars; therefore understanding the political and social situation during that time helps to a greater understanding and appreciation of this book and others in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the Napoleonic Wars begin and end.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the naval aspect of the Napoleonic Wars between Britain and France.
3. Compare/Contrast the importance of the British navy during the Napoleonic Wars to the importance of the British navy during either WWI or WWII.
4. Write an expository essay on how the Napoleonic War affects the social culture of one of the following countries: Britian, France, or Spain.
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)