|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Aubrey receiving only half pay?
2. With what does Bertie entrust Aubrey?
3. What has been holding Napoleon back?
4. By the time Aubrey reaches Mauritius how is the crew functioning?
5. What imaginary line does Aubrey cross on his way to Mauritius?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the three men say about the captains of the other ships?
2. How do the British officials at Cape Town feel about Aubrey's first naval action and what do they do there with the ships?
3. What ship joins the squadron? What do the captains discuss? Where does the squadron go when it leaves Cape Town?
4. What does Aubrey manage to do in his first few days of the voyage to Mauritius?
5. What ultimately happens to Clonfert's and Pym's joint venture?
6. What does the armada do and how does that go? How do the people of Mauritius feel about the British?
7. What does Maturin write about in his journal and what does he continue to use?
8. What does Maturin do on La Reunion?
9. How does Colley fare in the long term and how does Aubrey feel about that?
10. What happens when the squadron goes to Rodriguez and then where do they go and what happens there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some discussion takes place throughout the novel about various Captains and their command style. Discuss the following:
1. Whose command style seems most effective? Why? Give examples.
2. Whose command style seems least effective? Why? Give examples.
3. During the battle for Mauritius, sailors kill Caption Corbett and then fight as instructed under his second in command. Do you think these men were justified in their actions? Why or why not. Give examples.
4. Is mutiny ever justifiable? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Though the author O'Brian may or may not have such personal views on women, the way women are characterized in his naval series is often less than complimentary. Discuss one of the following:
1. Present and analyze the treatment of women in Maurtius Command.
2. O'Brian is trying to be historically accurate, so is his treatment of women in his book(s) justified?
3. Is there any way O'Brian could have presented women in a more positive light and still stayed historically accurate? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Much attention is given to the treatment of both wounds and illnesses by Maturin and McAdam. Maturin, in particular seems to be far more advanced than the typical doctor of that era. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast the medical remedies Maturin uses in Mauritius to that which would be done in our modern world.
2. Many wars are partially, if not completely, determined by factors other than the actual fighting. One of those factors is disease. Research and discuss how epidemics/pandemics have influenced the outcome of three different wars throughout history.
3. Discuss some of the medical remedies Maturin performs/uses that were probably not used in that era.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)