|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie ask Maturin to do?
2. What does Aubrey do with the ship as it sails towards Cape Town?
3. What have the French been doing on the ocean that is a problem?
4. What does Maturin do on the first island on which he goes ashore?
5. Who reaches Cape Town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maturin go ashore at Mauritius and what information does he use?
2. What does Aubrey do when he discovers he needs help? How does he feel about the response?
3. What does Aubrey have a chance to do?
4. How do the British officials at Cape Town feel about Aubrey's first naval action and what do they do there with the ships?
5. What has Pym done and how does Clonfert act when he hears? What does Clonfert decide to do?
6. What happens to Maturin on the way to Mauritius?
7. Who comes to visit Aubrey at the beginning of the novel? What does the person do and how long has it been since they've seen each other?
8. What ship joins the squadron? What do the captains discuss? Where does the squadron go when it leaves Cape Town?
9. What does Clonfert do when Pym is doing something else?
10. What do the men see during the voyage on Clonfert's ship and what does McAdams call it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Readers learn that Aubrey's ship surgeon is heavily addicted to opium. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the use of opium is not regulated as it is today?
2. Do you think it is a more or less enlightened society that regulates personal drug use? Explain.
3. Do you think the execution of Maturin's duties are compromised by his frequent use of opium? Why or why not? Give examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Clonfert holds Aubrey in high regard but also feels professional rivalry that occasionally borders on outright hostility. This continues throughout the novel, seriously clouds Clonfert's judgment, and drives Clonfert into a suicidal attack toward the end of the novel. Discuss the following:
1. Is professional rivalry between commanders on the same "side" helpful or harmful to the goal of winning a battle and/or war? Explain using examples from the book.
2. Competition in many forms is an acceptable state in most cultures. Do you think competition is a positive attribute of our culture? Explain with examples.
3. What happens when competition becomes obsession? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Maturin acts as a covert agency for the Crown and spreads anti-French propaganda on both La Reunion and Maurtius. Discuss the following:
1. What sort of covert operations does Maturin undertake? How similar do you think his covert operations are to that of an organization such as the CIA of today?
2. How much does Maturin's covert operations affect the outcome of the capture of La Reunion and Maurtius?
3. Do you see any conflict of interests between being a doctor and also a covert operator? Why or why not.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)