|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Aubrey feel about Mr. Farquhar?
2. Which vessel is the flagship of the squadron?
3. Why does Matuin tell Aubrey he has to go to Mauritius?
4. What are the gardens like around Aubrey's home?
5. How does Aubrey find life at home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Maturin meet up with accidentally and what does that person tell him?
2. Describe the people who live with Aubrey.
3. Where does Clonfert capture a fort and what happens then?
4. What does Aubrey do with his pennant and what does Bertie tell him?
5. What ultimately happens to Clonfert's and Pym's joint venture?
6. With what does Maturin enlist Mr. Cotton's help and how did it go?
7. What does Aubrey have the crews doing on the voyage?
8. What does Aubrey do before they sail for Mauritius, what ships sail with him and how far do they have to sail?
9. What happened to Corbett's ship?
10. What does the armada do and how does that go? How do the people of Mauritius feel about the British?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much attention is given to the treatment of both wounds and illnesses by Maturin and McAdam. Maturin, in particular seems to be far more advanced than the typical doctor of that era. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast the medical remedies Maturin uses in Mauritius to that which would be done in our modern world.
2. Many wars are partially, if not completely, determined by factors other than the actual fighting. One of those factors is disease. Research and discuss how epidemics/pandemics have influenced the outcome of three different wars throughout history.
3. Discuss some of the medical remedies Maturin performs/uses that were probably not used in that era.
Essay Topic 2
When one of the sailors on board Aubrey's ship has a skull fracture and subsequent operation, Aubrey links his chances of a successful naval battle with the successful recovery of the injured seaman. Aubrey, though very bright in many ways, is somewhat superstitious, a trait common to many sailors. Discuss the following:
1. What is superstition? Can you name a few common superstitions? Do any of them seem to have any validity in logic?
2. Why do you think sailors have the reputation for being superstitious? Do you think it is true? What superstitions are mentioned in Mauritius Command?
3. What are some of the superstitions you are familiar with that sailors seem to believe? Do you believe any of them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Some discussion takes place throughout the novel about various Captains and their command style. Discuss the following:
1. Whose command style seems most effective? Why? Give examples.
2. Whose command style seems least effective? Why? Give examples.
3. During the battle for Mauritius, sailors kill Caption Corbett and then fight as instructed under his second in command. Do you think these men were justified in their actions? Why or why not. Give examples.
4. Is mutiny ever justifiable? Explain.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)