|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the gardens like around Aubrey's home?
2. With what is Clonfert well acquainted?
3. With whom will Matuin be traveling to Mauritius?
4. What does Aubrey use his station of commodore to do?
5. What is one thing Aubrey does in preparation for sailing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Pym done and how does Clonfert act when he hears? What does Clonfert decide to do?
2. What do Maturin and McAdam do at Cape Town?
3. How does Colley fare in the long term and how does Aubrey feel about that?
4. What happened to Corbett's ship?
5. How does Clonfert react to Aubrey's victory and how does McAdam respond?
6. What ultimately happens to Clonfert's and Pym's joint venture?
7. Who will be meeting the French force at Mauritius?
8. Why are England and France at war?
9. What does Maturin say is the reason he has come to see Aubrey?
10. From whom does Aubrey receive a note and what does it ask and why does he laugh about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mauritius and spreads anti-French propaganda, including the singularly decisive information that Napoleon has been subjected to the greater excommunication of the Catholic Church. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think it matters that much that a military officer and head of state has been excommunicated?
2. Would you be willing to follow someone who has been excommunicated if you are Catholic? If you are not Catholic, would you be willing to follow someone with very different religious viewpoints than your own? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it would matter to the American people if John Kennedy had been excommunicated when he was the President? What about to Catholic Americans?
Essay Topic 2
Though the author O'Brian may or may not have such personal views on women, the way women are characterized in his naval series is often less than complimentary. Discuss one of the following:
1. Present and analyze the treatment of women in Maurtius Command.
2. O'Brian is trying to be historically accurate, so is his treatment of women in his book(s) justified?
3. Is there any way O'Brian could have presented women in a more positive light and still stayed historically accurate? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Clonfert holds Aubrey in high regard but also feels professional rivalry that occasionally borders on outright hostility. This continues throughout the novel, seriously clouds Clonfert's judgment, and drives Clonfert into a suicidal attack toward the end of the novel. Discuss the following:
1. Is professional rivalry between commanders on the same "side" helpful or harmful to the goal of winning a battle and/or war? Explain using examples from the book.
2. Competition in many forms is an acceptable state in most cultures. Do you think competition is a positive attribute of our culture? Explain with examples.
3. What happens when competition becomes obsession? Give examples.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)