|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lady Clonfert find out about Aubrey's command?
(a) The rumor mill.
(b) Her husband is an admiral.
(c) Her father is Captain of another ship.
(d) She is a friend of the Prime Minister.
2. Who is Colonel Keating?
(a) Executive officer of the British marines.
(b) The infantry commander.
(c) Head of the British calvery.
(d) The British governor of Cape Town.
3. In what type of home does Captain Aubrey live?
(a) A townhouse.
(b) A farmhouse.
(c) A castle.
(d) A country cottage.
4. What kind of mental stress is Maturin fighting?
5. What is bothering Aubrey's family?
(a) Stress and penury.
(b) Maturin's visit.
(c) Aubrey's inventions being stolen.
(d) The war.
6. What is Napoleon trying to conquer?
(a) East Africa.
(d) All of Europe.
7. In what year does this book take place?
8. By the time Aubrey reaches Mauritius how is the crew functioning?
(a) Better, but still erratic.
(b) With some grumbling.
9. What do McAdam and Maturin discuss?
(a) Maturin's love of nature.
(b) Corbett's strange personality.
(c) Aubrey's strange personality.
(d) Clonfert's strange personality.
10. What have the French been doing on the ocean that is a problem?
(a) Capturing British Indiamen.
(b) Blowing up British merchant ships.
(c) Blockading England's shores.
(d) Crossing the channel.
11. What do Aubrey's forces and British land forces do on La Reunion?
(a) Capture a key city.
(b) Destroy the crops.
(c) Burn the main towns.
(d) Rescue prisoners.
12. What is the state of Clonfert's ship?
(a) Heavily decorated in bizarre fineries.
(b) Listing heavily from a poorly-loaded hold.
(c) In dry dock.
(d) Missing a mizzenmast.
13. Who reaches Cape Town?
(d) HMS Roland.
14. How would Aubrey describe his wife's mother?
(a) A gentle soul.
(b) Sweet but not very bright.
(c) Quiet and unassuming.
(d) A loudmouthed and overbearing woman.
15. How does Aubrey find life at home?
(a) Uninteresting and boring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aubrey do about Corbett and Clonfert?
2. What has been holding Napoleon back?
3. Where is Captain Aubrey's home?
4. For what use does Aubrey grind lenses?
5. What does Aubrey do with the ship as it sails towards Cape Town?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)