Chapters 1 and 2
• The novel opens in Hampshire, England, Captain Jack Aubrey's home in the year 1810.
• The French and the British are at war. The British naval might thus far is holding Napoleon back.
• Aubrey is on shore leave at half pay awaiting a command.
• His friend Stephen Maturin is visiting.
• Aubrey spends much of his time grinding lens for telescopes and trying to find a way to determine longitude at sea.
• Maturin is a physician of renown, a natural scientist, and a covert intelligence agent for the British crown.
• Though Aubrey is an excellent sea captain he has little knack for financial matters and the family is broke.
• Sophie, his wife, asks Maturin if he can't find a command for Aubrey so his half pay will become whole pay.
• Maturin tells Aubrey the French have a heavy presence in Mauritius and Jack will be sent with a force...
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)