|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Sandoz and Claude depressed after visiting Dubuche in the country?
2. Whose painting called The Lunch Party is a slick, commercial imitation of Claude's open air style?
3. What is the site that arouses Claude's enthusiasm after failing again to be included in the Salon?
4. When Christine opens the door of the bedroom, what is Claude doing?
5. What painting is almost rejected before it is discovered to be one by a famous artist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of Belief in the Intelligence of the Public. Point one of the essay should include the various reactions to Claude's Open Air painting. Point two should bring in an example like the reaction of the public to the invention of the airplane. Point three should be a more philosophical evaluation of public opinion in general.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of The Tragedy of Dubuche. The main points of the essay are (1) why Dubuche was successful at the studio of DuquersonniÃ¨re, (2) why he failed after joining with Margaillan, and (3) what he was reduced to after failing as an architect.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of The Decadent Bourgeois. The essay should center on Margaillan and include (1) his ill-gotten wealth, (2) his conspicuous spending, and (3) his disrespectful manner while viewing Claude's painting at the Salon des RefusÃ©s.
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)