|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claude seem to taunt Christine about from gossip he has heard?
2. Who lives directly across from Fagerolles's small but well appointed mansion?
3. What is Mahoudeau's comment after the sculpture falls apart?
4. How does Claude afford a larger studio to work on his masterpiece?
5. Why does Claude at first not find his painting of the Dead Child?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of Belief in the Intelligence of the Public. Point one of the essay should include the various reactions to Claude's Open Air painting. Point two should bring in an example like the reaction of the public to the invention of the airplane. Point three should be a more philosophical evaluation of public opinion in general.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of The Tragedy of Dubuche. The main points of the essay are (1) why Dubuche was successful at the studio of DuquersonniÃ¨re, (2) why he failed after joining with Margaillan, and (3) what he was reduced to after failing as an architect.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of Provencal Morality in the 19th century. In the essay points, include (1) public opinion of single women seen in the company of young men, (2) public acceptance of a courtesan but detesting a trollop, (3) double standards for men and women.
This section contains 1,700 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)