|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For a while, how does Claude make a fairly good living?
2. Why is Christine afraid when she wakes to find Claude not in the bed with her?
3. How is Claude when he and Sandoz return to Paris and go to a restaurant?
4. What do Sandoz and Bongrand have to say about Claude's early works of art?
5. After finally getting Claude back in bed, what happens in Claude's head?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of The Development of the Rift Between Claude and Christine. Using this line from the end of Chapter 8--"Never again would they be all-in-all to each other; the rift between them could never be healed. The wife had despoiled the mistress, and marriage seems to have done away with love." Explain in the essay what Zola means by those statements.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of Getting to the Top. Using Bongrand as an authority, the essay should center on his statement that the "greatest satisfaction was not being at the top, but in getting there." The essay may also include more modern examples of more modern celebrities who rose to the top of their fields only to end up in obscurity.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of The Tragedy of Dubuche. The main points of the essay are (1) why Dubuche was successful at the studio of DuquersonniÃ¨re, (2) why he failed after joining with Margaillan, and (3) what he was reduced to after failing as an architect.
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)