|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What distresses Christine when Claude returns home from the Salon?
2. Why are Sandoz and Claude depressed after visiting Dubuche in the country?
3. What are the Salon committee's reactions to Claude's Dead Child painting?
4. What do Sandoz and Bongrand have to say about Claude's early works of art?
5. How is the Dead Child painting finally approved for hanging in the Salon?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic, The Past Cannot Be Recaptured. Using the things Claude and Sandoz see in the country, the essay should explain Zola's statement, "The past was but the cemetery of our illusions: one simply stubbed one's toes on the gravestones."
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of The Decadent Bourgeois. The essay should center on Margaillan and include (1) his ill-gotten wealth, (2) his conspicuous spending, and (3) his disrespectful manner while viewing Claude's painting at the Salon des RefusÃ©s.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of Artistic Procrastination. In the essay, analyze the first summer for Claude and Christine in the country. (1) There is no end to the sights that inspire Claude. (2) Christine worries that she is keeping him from his work to which he responds, "...just you wait till tomorrow, you'll see what I can do." (3) The ways Zola describes Claude's summer of working in "fits and starts."
This section contains 1,697 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)