|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Claude when he and Sandoz return to Paris and go to a restaurant?
2. What purchases does Claude make to get started with his painting?
3. What is the site that arouses Claude's enthusiasm after failing again to be included in the Salon?
4. Why is Christine afraid when she wakes to find Claude not in the bed with her?
5. When Christine suggests they go away somewhere to be happy, what is Claude's reply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of the move toward realism in the modern novel. Using Sandoz as the fictional representation of Zola himself, point out the specifics in THE MASTERPIECE that started the move toward more honesty and openness in novels during the late 19th century. Include reasons that living artists of the day objected to THE MASTERPIECE.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of The Tragedy of Dubuche. The main points of the essay are (1) why Dubuche was successful at the studio of DuquersonniÃ¨re, (2) why he failed after joining with Margaillan, and (3) what he was reduced to after failing as an architect.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of Belief in the Intelligence of the Public. Point one of the essay should include the various reactions to Claude's Open Air painting. Point two should bring in an example like the reaction of the public to the invention of the airplane. Point three should be a more philosophical evaluation of public opinion in general.
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)