|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that Claude does not know while he waits to see if the Dead Child will be included in the Salon?
2. When Christine opens the door of the bedroom, what is Claude doing?
3. What does Claude blame Christine for when his painting does not come out the way he wants?
4. How do Claude's friends react to his latest painting?
5. How does Ganière drift away from the group of former art revolutionaries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of contradictory moral values during the 19th century. Use Henriette and Christine versus Irma and Mathilde to point out these contradictions. Be sure to include how Christine manages to maintain her moral character even though she lives many years with Claude before they are married. Also include how Irma is tolerated in polite society whereas Christine is the subject of gossip and condemnation.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of Provencal Morality in the 19th century. In the essay points, include (1) public opinion of single women seen in the company of young men, (2) public acceptance of a courtesan but detesting a trollop, (3) double standards for men and women.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of art in the grotesque. Discuss how the painting of the Dead Child is, in fact, a serious work of art. How does this address the idea that the purpose of art is not limited to being pretty. How should a person look at a work like the Dead Child? Why would Claude, the artist, not understand how such a painting could be ignored and dismissed?
This section contains 1,738 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)