|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the occupation of Mahoudeau before he came to Paris?
2. What does Claude think about the young woman standing on his doorstep at night?
3. What does Christine fear if Claude escorts her to the station?
4. Although Bongrand now only paints what interests him, why can the Beaux-Arts not overlook him?
5. What is Pierre Sandoz doing for Claude?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that frightens Christine about Claude?
2. What is Claude's behavior after a party at Sandoz's house that alarms Christine?
3. Explain how Claude turns on Christine as the reason his grand painting is not coming together for him.
4. Describe the mood at the beginning of the novel.
5. What is the physical evidence that Dubuche has already deserted to the enemy?
6. How does the reader know that Christine has been thinking of Claude since the night she spent in his studio?
7. How does Claude exhibit manic behavior during the night?
8. How does Claude attempt to make Christine happy once again?
9. Describe how Claude further distances himself from Christine and Jacques.
10. What is the occasion when Claude first goes to the Salon to look for his painting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of The Decadent Bourgeois. The essay should center on Margaillan and include (1) his ill-gotten wealth, (2) his conspicuous spending, and (3) his disrespectful manner while viewing Claude's painting at the Salon des RefusÃ©s.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of symbolism in painting. Note in your essay that the nude woman in Claude's paintings represented something in his mind that completely went over the heads of the public. Since classic painting and sculpture had represented the nude body for centuries, what was it about Claude's nude figures that caused the public to laugh at his work?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of contradictory moral values during the 19th century. Use Henriette and Christine versus Irma and Mathilde to point out these contradictions. Be sure to include how Christine manages to maintain her moral character even though she lives many years with Claude before they are married. Also include how Irma is tolerated in polite society whereas Christine is the subject of gossip and condemnation.
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)