Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does she notice about Claude's Open Air painting?
2. Ready to leave, what does the young woman do?
3. Where does Claude want to exhibit his painting?
4. Rejected for the Prix de Rome, what is Fagerolles now painting?
5. What ironic switch in attitude occurs when Christine finally agrees to go in public with Claude?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have the fortunes turned for Irma Bécot?
2. What is the showdown between Christine and the nude woman in Claude's painting?
3. Explain the result of Claude's and Christine's visit to the country.
4. What happens when Sandoz takes Claude back to visit the country where he once lived?
5. What is the physical evidence that Dubuche has already deserted to the enemy?
6. How does the reader understand that Claude earns a subsistence?
7. How does Claude hurt Christine deeply with his complaint about her dinner?
8. How is the decision made to return to Paris?
9. In what way is Christine's response to their love making a believable part of the story?
10. How does Zola's novel parallel the realism that Sandoz believes novels should portray?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of the move toward realism in the modern novel. Using Sandoz as the fictional representation of Zola himself, point out the specifics in THE MASTERPIECE that started the move toward more honesty and openness in novels during the late 19th century. Include reasons that living artists of the day objected to THE MASTERPIECE.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of Art and Art Dealers. The essay topics should include (1) Naudet who could tell which artists could make him money but had no idea about which artist could become a great painter; (2) Bongrand's accusation that art had been reduced to francs, and (3) Malgras who recognized good art but resorted to cheating the artists.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of Foreshadowing Claude's Death. In Chapter 11, there are passages where Sandoz fears for Claude's life, Christine has a "dread she dared not put into words," and Claude recognizes "desire hovering on the brink of blissful death." With those as the main points of the essay, write about what each of them means as a foreshadowing.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)