Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Christine able to come to Paris from Passy?
2. How does Claude react to Jory's comments about his painting?
3. What does she notice about Claude's Open Air painting?
4. Where does Claude find GaniÃ¨re after the dinner at Pierre's house?
5. Why does Irma become angry with Claude during a visit to his studio?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the friendship between Claude, Sandoz, and Dubuche.
2. Explain how Sandoz maintains his artistic integrity with his novels.
3. Explain why Christine refuses to go sightseeing with Claude on the streets of Paris.
4. What is it that frightens Christine about Claude?
5. How does the reader know that Christine has been thinking of Claude since the night she spent in his studio?
6. Explain how Claude turns on Christine as the reason his grand painting is not coming together for him.
7. How do praise and laughter demonstrate Claude's personal insecurities at the Salon des RefusÃ©s?
8. What is Claude's goal for gaining acceptance of his art?
9. How does Claude hurt Christine deeply with his complaint about her dinner?
10. Describe how Claude further distances himself from Christine and Jacques.
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of The Development of the Rift Between Claude and Christine. Using this line from the end of Chapter 8--"Never again would they be all-in-all to each other; the rift between them could never be healed. The wife had despoiled the mistress, and marriage seems to have done away with love." Explain in the essay what Zola means by those statements.
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of contradictory moral values during the 19th century. Use Henriette and Christine versus Irma and Mathilde to point out these contradictions. Be sure to include how Christine manages to maintain her moral character even though she lives many years with Claude before they are married. Also include how Irma is tolerated in polite society whereas Christine is the subject of gossip and condemnation.
Write a critique of the novel. Discuss Zola's style and use of language, giving specific examples. Include the autobiographical nature of Sandoz as Zola himself. Express how you feel about the suspense of the novel and whether it makes you not want to put it down. Conclude with your recommendation for others to read THE MASTERPIECE.
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)