|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Claude's friends do he and Christine see in the street?
2. Although Sandoz's novels are selling well, what is happening in literary circles?
3. What does Mahoudeau tell Claude there is little market for these days?
4. Now that Sandoz is married, what role does his wife, Henriette, play in the household?
5. In spite of opposition, how does Sandoz continue to write?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Claude finally locates his painting, how does he once again feel rejected?
2. What is Claude's goal for gaining acceptance of his art?
3. In what way do some of Claude's friends add to his personal insecurity?
4. How does Sandoz know that there is trouble brewing as the group of friends go out after the Salon?
5. How has Fagerolles become swallowed up by the commercial world of art?
6. In what way does the reader understand that Claude is first and foremost an artist?
7. How does Claude attempt to make Christine happy once again?
8. How do Christine and Claude react differently to tragedy?
9. What is the occasion when Claude first goes to the Salon to look for his painting?
10. Explain how Sandoz maintains his artistic integrity with his novels.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of Jacques as Possibly Autistic. Re-read the passage in the middle of Chapter 8 where Jacques keeps repeating "nice cat, naughty cat." Discuss his behavior as possibly being that of an autistic child. Include in the essay both Claude's and Christine's reactions to the scene as people who do not know how to deal with such a child. Conclude with Jacques's reaction to Claude's outburst. Autism was not a recognizable disability in the 19th century, so is this possibly Zola's observation of such behavior without giving it a name?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of The Development of the Rift Between Claude and Christine. Using this line from the end of Chapter 8--"Never again would they be all-in-all to each other; the rift between them could never be healed. The wife had despoiled the mistress, and marriage seems to have done away with love." Explain in the essay what Zola means by those statements.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the topic of Art and Art Dealers. The essay topics should include (1) Naudet who could tell which artists could make him money but had no idea about which artist could become a great painter; (2) Bongrand's accusation that art had been reduced to francs, and (3) Malgras who recognized good art but resorted to cheating the artists.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)