|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens on the wedding night?
(a) It is like old times in the country.
(b) Claude is unable to make love to Christine.
(c) Jacques gets sick and Christine has to stay with him.
(d) Christine goes to bed alone and Claude sketches.
2. What painting is almost rejected before it is discovered to be one by a famous artist?
(a) a painting of a nude lady under a tree.
(b) a painting of a nude man and a clothed woman.
(c) a painting of people having a picnic outdoors.
(d) a painting of blue poplars.
3. When Christine awakes to find Claude gone, where does she find him?
(a) dressing to go out into the cold.
(b) lying in Jacques's small bed.
(c) sitting by the fire drinking wine.
(d) hanging from the ladder in front of his painting.
4. What does Sandoz think might be better for true artists?
(a) to live and die an unknown.
(b) to keep all their works until their death.
(c) to develop a following in England.
(d) to live in Italy instead of France.
5. After the Salon, how does Claude behave?
(a) he refuses to see anyone.
(b) he puts on a façade of not caring.
(c) he happily shows himself in public.
(d) he throws himself back into his large painting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claude seem to taunt Christine about from gossip he has heard?
2. What time does Claude return to his studio home?
3. What are the Salon committee's reactions to Claude's Dead Child painting?
4. Who lives directly across from Fagerolles's small but well appointed mansion?
5. What does Sandoz point out to Claude?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)