|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Irma Bécot get her revenge on Claude?
(a) by seducing Christine.
(b) by buying his painting and burning it.
(c) by spreading gossip about him.
(d) by seducing him in her new mansion.
2. Why has Dubuche been exiled to his father-in-law's home in the country?
(a) one of his designs became a laughing stock in Paris.
(b) the pressure of building houses caused him to have a breakdown.
(c) it became clear that he really has no talent for architecture.
(d) he was never successful and now cares for his wife and sickly children.
3. Why is Sandoz being successful as a novelist?
(a) he uses Claude's art on the cover of his books.
(b) he refuses to change his ideas about modern writing.
(c) he has started turning out traditional prose.
(d) he is no longer controversial.
4. What happens on the wedding night?
(a) Christine goes to bed alone and Claude sketches.
(b) Jacques gets sick and Christine has to stay with him.
(c) It is like old times in the country.
(d) Claude is unable to make love to Christine.
5. What is the wedding ceremony for Claude and Christine like?
(a) plain but meaningful.
(b) elaborate and joyful.
(c) rushed and without emotion.
(d) quick and exciting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Claude think his painting of the dead Jacques may be accepted by the Salon committee?
2. What does Sandoz think might be better for true artists?
3. Whose painting called The Lunch Party is a slick, commercial imitation of Claude's open air style?
4. How do Claude's friends react to his latest painting?
5. After the party at Sandoz's house, what does Christine do when Claude orders her to return home?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)