|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For a while, how does Claude make a fairly good living?
(a) copying the old masters.
(b) painting portraits of children.
(c) painting flower still lifes for British tourists.
(d) doing sketches for a newspaper.
2. What breaks the solemn reverie of Sandoz and Bongrand at the cemetery?
(a) the sound of a passing train.
(b) a parade passing by.
(c) the lamenting of a funeral nearby.
(d) a sudden rainstorm.
3. How is the Dead Child painting finally approved for hanging in the Salon?
(a) Bongrand demands it.
(b) it is approved by mistake.
(c) Fagerolles uses his "charity" vote.
(d) it is considered a real masterpiece at last.
4. What does Sandoz think might be better for true artists?
(a) to develop a following in England.
(b) to live in Italy instead of France.
(c) to keep all their works until their death.
(d) to live and die an unknown.
5. Who generally shows up on varnishing day?
(a) the riff-raff of Paris.
(b) only the Paris art critics.
(c) the elite of Paris society.
(d) the artists whose works are included.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sandoz comes to take Claude away from the studio, who do they find as a barker at a carnival?
2. How is Claude when he and Sandoz return to Paris and go to a restaurant?
3. When he submits the snow scene to the Beaux-Arts Salon, what happens?
4. Why are Sandoz and Claude depressed after visiting Dubuche in the country?
5. Who lives directly across from Fagerolles's small but well appointed mansion?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)