|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Claude at first not find his painting of the Dead Child?
(a) it is hung in a hallway.
(b) it is hung in a small room where almost no one goes.
(c) it is hung near the exit in dim light.
(d) it is hung very high over large canvases.
2. When Sandoz comes to take Claude away from the studio, who do they find as a barker at a carnival?
3. What do Sandoz and Bongrand have to say about Claude's early works of art?
(a) they agree that they had only promise of greatness.
(b) they agree that they led him in the wrong direction.
(c) they agree that they will go up in value.
(d) they agree they were extraordinary pieces.
4. What idea does Sandoz have that he thinks might change things for Claude?
(a) having another Thursday evening dinner at his house.
(b) taking Claude on a trip to Italy.
(c) throwing a surprise party for Claude and Christine.
(d) writing a novel about a painter like Claude.
5. What does Sandoz point out to Claude?
(a) that no one is laughing at him now.
(b) the many paintings using his open air style.
(c) that the Dead Child is the only original thing hanging.
(d) that the critics are all looking at his painting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What breaks the solemn reverie of Sandoz and Bongrand at the cemetery?
2. What happens on the wedding night?
3. What is the irony of Sandoz's new house?
4. What is Mahoudeau's comment after the sculpture falls apart?
5. When he submits the snow scene to the Beaux-Arts Salon, what happens?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)