|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the irony of Sandoz's new house?
(a) it is in the same area as Irma's and Fagerolles's houses.
(b) it is large and ostentacious.
(c) it is an eclectic and old fashioned abode for a very modern writer.
(d) it has become a shrine to his late mother.
2. Why does Claude at first not find his painting of the Dead Child?
(a) it is hung near the exit in dim light.
(b) it is hung in a small room where almost no one goes.
(c) it is hung very high over large canvases.
(d) it is hung in a hallway.
3. What breaks the solemn reverie of Sandoz and Bongrand at the cemetery?
(a) a parade passing by.
(b) the lamenting of a funeral nearby.
(c) the sound of a passing train.
(d) a sudden rainstorm.
4. What does Claude seem to taunt Christine about from gossip he has heard?
(a) that Mme. Vandaze died and left fortunes to her servants.
(b) that God cursed her with an unnatural child.
(c) that a man was coming to the studio when Claude was away.
(d) that she was too stupid to find a job.
5. How does Irma Bécot get her revenge on Claude?
(a) by buying his painting and burning it.
(b) by seducing Christine.
(c) by spreading gossip about him.
(d) by seducing him in her new mansion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What purchases does Claude make to get started with his painting?
2. How is the Dead Child painting finally approved for hanging in the Salon?
3. Again under the spell of Paris, what does Claude do?
4. What is the site that arouses Claude's enthusiasm after failing again to be included in the Salon?
5. What is Mahoudeau's comment after the sculpture falls apart?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)