|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Sandoz being successful as a novelist?
(a) he is no longer controversial.
(b) he has started turning out traditional prose.
(c) he refuses to change his ideas about modern writing.
(d) he uses Claude's art on the cover of his books.
2. What does Sandoz think might be better for true artists?
(a) to live in Italy instead of France.
(b) to live and die an unknown.
(c) to keep all their works until their death.
(d) to develop a following in England.
3. How does Irma Bécot get her revenge on Claude?
(a) by buying his painting and burning it.
(b) by seducing Christine.
(c) by seducing him in her new mansion.
(d) by spreading gossip about him.
4. How is Claude when he and Sandoz return to Paris and go to a restaurant?
(a) he talks about quitting painting and starting to write.
(b) he is withdrawn and silent during dinner.
(c) he is happy and resolved to return to his large canvas.
(d) he is agitated and angry at how the country has changed.
5. What does Sandoz point out to Claude?
(a) the many paintings using his open air style.
(b) that no one is laughing at him now.
(c) that the critics are all looking at his painting.
(d) that the Dead Child is the only original thing hanging.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ganière drift away from the group of former art revolutionaries?
2. What idea does Sandoz have that he thinks might change things for Claude?
3. What is it that Claude does not know while he waits to see if the Dead Child will be included in the Salon?
4. What are the Salon committee's reactions to Claude's Dead Child painting?
5. What distresses Christine when Claude returns home from the Salon?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)