|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the irony of Sandoz's new house?
(a) it is large and ostentacious.
(b) it is an eclectic and old fashioned abode for a very modern writer.
(c) it is in the same area as Irma's and Fagerolles's houses.
(d) it has become a shrine to his late mother.
2. Why are Sandoz and Claude depressed after visiting Dubuche in the country?
(a) he has been reduced to a disrespected care giver.
(b) he has become so important that he has no time for them.
(c) he has become a snobbish art dealer.
(d) he has gone into politics in the provinces.
3. Why is Christine under so much nervous tension after they get back to Paris?
(a) too many people come to visit.
(b) the studio is small and Jacques is often in the way.
(c) she thinks she might be pregnant again.
(d) Claude seldom comes home.
4. Why has Dubuche been exiled to his father-in-law's home in the country?
(a) one of his designs became a laughing stock in Paris.
(b) he was never successful and now cares for his wife and sickly children.
(c) it became clear that he really has no talent for architecture.
(d) the pressure of building houses caused him to have a breakdown.
5. Again under the spell of Paris, what does Claude do?
(a) stays as far away from Jacques as possible.
(b) paints night and day on his new masterpiece.
(c) makes sketches and plans work that never gets started.
(d) talks a lot about his current work.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the Salon, how does Claude behave?
2. To stay close to Claude and fight her rival, the painting, what does Christine decide to do?
3. Who generally shows up on varnishing day?
4. Why does Claude do a smaller version of his large painting?
5. What breaks the solemn reverie of Sandoz and Bongrand at the cemetery?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)