|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Claude's friends react to his latest painting?
(a) they hail it as a masterpiece.
(b) they think it is too small for a work by Claude.
(c) they want him to offer it to Naudet.
(d) they look at it but do not comment.
2. Again under the spell of Paris, what does Claude do?
(a) paints night and day on his new masterpiece.
(b) makes sketches and plans work that never gets started.
(c) stays as far away from Jacques as possible.
(d) talks a lot about his current work.
3. What does Claude blame Christine for when his painting does not come out the way he wants?
(a) that she is no longer a good model.
(b) that she cannot keep Jacques away.
(c) that she keeps changing her position while posing.
(d) that she makes too much noise in the studio.
4. When Christine opens the door of the bedroom, what is Claude doing?
(a) he is furiously painting his vision of the Ile de la Cité.
(b) he is ripping up his large canvas.
(c) he is scraping off the paint on his large canvas.
(d) he is drinking cognac and weeping.
5. For a while, how does Claude make a fairly good living?
(a) painting portraits of children.
(b) copying the old masters.
(c) doing sketches for a newspaper.
(d) painting flower still lifes for British tourists.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Claude when he and Sandoz return to Paris and go to a restaurant?
2. What is the wedding ceremony for Claude and Christine like?
3. How is the Dead Child painting finally approved for hanging in the Salon?
4. Why does Claude at first not find his painting of the Dead Child?
5. What is "varnishing day"?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)