|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which friends of Claude's show up at the funeral?
(a) all his old friends.
(b) only Sandoz and Bongrand.
(c) fifty relatives from Plassans.
(d) no one.
2. How does Christine confront Claude about the nude woman in his painting?
(a) she says that woman is her rival for his affections.
(b) she says that woman is a trollop seducing him.
(c) she says that woman is a curse on him.
(d) she says that woman is really her and he should come to her.
3. Why does Claude do a smaller version of his large painting?
(a) to show Bongrand.
(b) to submit to the Salon.
(c) to check his colors.
(d) to practice his new brush strokes.
4. Why are Sandoz and Claude depressed after visiting Dubuche in the country?
(a) he has gone into politics in the provinces.
(b) he has been reduced to a disrespected care giver.
(c) he has become a snobbish art dealer.
(d) he has become so important that he has no time for them.
5. What is the site that arouses Claude's enthusiasm after failing again to be included in the Salon?
(a) Cathedral Notre Dame.
(b) the Eiffel Tower.
(c) ice on the Seine.
(d) the Ile de la Cité.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Claude think his painting of the dead Jacques may be accepted by the Salon committee?
2. What does Claude blame Christine for when his painting does not come out the way he wants?
3. When Sandoz comes to take Claude away from the studio, who do they find as a barker at a carnival?
4. What is Mahoudeau's comment after the sculpture falls apart?
5. What is it that Claude does not know while he waits to see if the Dead Child will be included in the Salon?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)