|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Sandoz being successful as a novelist?
(a) he is no longer controversial.
(b) he has started turning out traditional prose.
(c) he refuses to change his ideas about modern writing.
(d) he uses Claude's art on the cover of his books.
2. Which friends of Claude's show up at the funeral?
(a) only Sandoz and Bongrand.
(b) no one.
(c) fifty relatives from Plassans.
(d) all his old friends.
3. Why does Sandoz stay away from Claude for a time?
(a) he is giving Claude the cold shoulder.
(b) his novels are not selling now.
(c) he and Henriette are having problems.
(d) he is grieving for his dead mother.
4. Why does Mahoudeau's sculpture fall over?
(a) as the room warms, the clay carving melts.
(b) Chaîne smashes it out of jealousy over Mathilde.
(c) Claude accidentally bumps into it.
(d) an earthquake shakes his studio.
5. What is Claude's mistaken idea about Chaîne?
(a) that he is happy.
(b) that he has not changed.
(c) that he is rich.
(d) that he is proud of his work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Sandoz and Claude depressed after visiting Dubuche in the country?
2. Whose painting called The Lunch Party is a slick, commercial imitation of Claude's open air style?
3. Who takes charge of the funeral and getting Christine to the hospital?
4. When Sandoz comes to take Claude away from the studio, who do they find as a barker at a carnival?
5. What breaks the solemn reverie of Sandoz and Bongrand at the cemetery?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)