|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Christine afraid when she wakes to find Claude not in the bed with her?
(a) she thinks he is working too hard.
(b) she thinks he is destroying his paintings.
(c) she thinks he might be suicidal.
(d) she thinks he might be leaving her.
2. What happens on the wedding night?
(a) Jacques gets sick and Christine has to stay with him.
(b) Christine goes to bed alone and Claude sketches.
(c) Claude is unable to make love to Christine.
(d) It is like old times in the country.
3. What painting is almost rejected before it is discovered to be one by a famous artist?
(a) a painting of a nude lady under a tree.
(b) a painting of blue poplars.
(c) a painting of a nude man and a clothed woman.
(d) a painting of people having a picnic outdoors.
4. How does Claude afford a larger studio to work on his masterpiece?
(a) by drawing from the capital of his inheritance.
(b) by copying masterpieces of other artists.
(c) by painting murals for rich clients.
(d) by selliing small nude paintings of Christine.
5. How does Christine begin to resent Jacques?
(a) blaming him for the loss of her virgin body.
(b) wishing he would go away.
(c) being irritated with his demands.
(d) hating to part with the extra money for his upkeep.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Christine confront Claude about the nude woman in his painting?
2. What tragedy strikes the Lantier household one night?
3. What is it that Claude does not know while he waits to see if the Dead Child will be included in the Salon?
4. What distresses Christine when Claude returns home from the Salon?
5. What does Claude blame Christine for when his painting does not come out the way he wants?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)