|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Claude's mistaken idea about Chaîne?
(a) that he is happy.
(b) that he is proud of his work.
(c) that he is rich.
(d) that he has not changed.
2. How is Claude when he and Sandoz return to Paris and go to a restaurant?
(a) he is agitated and angry at how the country has changed.
(b) he is happy and resolved to return to his large canvas.
(c) he talks about quitting painting and starting to write.
(d) he is withdrawn and silent during dinner.
3. Why are Sandoz and Claude depressed after visiting Dubuche in the country?
(a) he has been reduced to a disrespected care giver.
(b) he has become a snobbish art dealer.
(c) he has gone into politics in the provinces.
(d) he has become so important that he has no time for them.
4. What happens on the wedding night?
(a) Claude is unable to make love to Christine.
(b) Jacques gets sick and Christine has to stay with him.
(c) It is like old times in the country.
(d) Christine goes to bed alone and Claude sketches.
5. Why does Claude think his painting of the dead Jacques may be accepted by the Salon committee?
(a) he submits it under an assumed name.
(b) Bongrand is now head of the committee.
(c) Fagerolles promises to get it accepted.
(d) this painting is more like the classics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Dubuche been exiled to his father-in-law's home in the country?
2. How does Ganière drift away from the group of former art revolutionaries?
3. Whose painting called The Lunch Party is a slick, commercial imitation of Claude's open air style?
4. What is it that Claude does not know while he waits to see if the Dead Child will be included in the Salon?
5. What is the irony of Sandoz's new house?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)