|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Claude at first not find his painting of the Dead Child?
(a) it is hung in a hallway.
(b) it is hung very high over large canvases.
(c) it is hung in a small room where almost no one goes.
(d) it is hung near the exit in dim light.
2. What idea does Sandoz have that he thinks might change things for Claude?
(a) throwing a surprise party for Claude and Christine.
(b) writing a novel about a painter like Claude.
(c) having another Thursday evening dinner at his house.
(d) taking Claude on a trip to Italy.
3. What does Sandoz think might be better for true artists?
(a) to live and die an unknown.
(b) to keep all their works until their death.
(c) to live in Italy instead of France.
(d) to develop a following in England.
4. Why is Christine under so much nervous tension after they get back to Paris?
(a) she thinks she might be pregnant again.
(b) Claude seldom comes home.
(c) the studio is small and Jacques is often in the way.
(d) too many people come to visit.
5. What do Sandoz and Bongrand have to say about Claude's early works of art?
(a) they agree that they led him in the wrong direction.
(b) they agree they were extraordinary pieces.
(c) they agree that they will go up in value.
(d) they agree that they had only promise of greatness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on the wedding night?
2. How does Christine begin to resent Jacques?
3. Who takes charge of the funeral and getting Christine to the hospital?
4. What is the subject of Claude's snow scene?
5. What distresses Christine when Claude returns home from the Salon?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)