|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What distresses Christine when Claude returns home from the Salon?
(a) his strange and cold manner.
(b) his attempt to destroy his large unfinished canvas.
(c) his unusually happy manner.
(d) his refusal to take her to the Salon.
2. When Christine suggests they go away somewhere to be happy, what is Claude's reply?
(a) that he will think about it.
(b) that he can only be happy in his studio.
(c) that she sounds just like Sandoz.
(d) hat he does not want to be happy, he only wants to paint.
3. What is "varnishing day"?
(a) the day before the Salon opens.
(b) the day they redecorate the Salon.
(c) the day they allow art critics to view the paintings.
(d) the day they frame the paintings.
4. After the party at Sandoz's house, what does Christine do when Claude orders her to return home?
(a) she follows Claude to Irma's house.
(b) she follows Claude to the top of a tall building.
(c) she follows Claude to just outside the Beaux-Arts.
(d) she follows Claude to where he stands on a bridge.
5. After the Salon, how does Claude behave?
(a) he refuses to see anyone.
(b) he happily shows himself in public.
(c) he throws himself back into his large painting.
(d) he puts on a façade of not caring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What breaks the solemn reverie of Sandoz and Bongrand at the cemetery?
2. When Sandoz comes to take Claude away from the studio, who do they find as a barker at a carnival?
3. What is Claude's mistaken idea about Chaîne?
4. What is Mahoudeau's comment after the sculpture falls apart?
5. What does Sandoz point out to Claude?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)