|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Christine suggests they go away somewhere to be happy, what is Claude's reply?
(a) that he will think about it.
(b) that he can only be happy in his studio.
(c) that she sounds just like Sandoz.
(d) hat he does not want to be happy, he only wants to paint.
2. What are the Salon committee's reactions to Claude's Dead Child painting?
(a) disgust or pity.
(b) excited or indifferent.
(c) shock or amusement.
(d) positive or skeptical.
3. For a while, how does Claude make a fairly good living?
(a) painting portraits of children.
(b) copying the old masters.
(c) painting flower still lifes for British tourists.
(d) doing sketches for a newspaper.
4. What does Claude blame Christine for when his painting does not come out the way he wants?
(a) that she is no longer a good model.
(b) that she keeps changing her position while posing.
(c) that she makes too much noise in the studio.
(d) that she cannot keep Jacques away.
5. What is "varnishing day"?
(a) the day before the Salon opens.
(b) the day they frame the paintings.
(c) the day they redecorate the Salon.
(d) the day they allow art critics to view the paintings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the wedding ceremony for Claude and Christine like?
2. How does Irma Bécot get her revenge on Claude?
3. Why is Sandoz being successful as a novelist?
4. What is the irony of Sandoz's new house?
5. Why does Sandoz stay away from Claude for a time?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)