|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Claude's mistaken idea about Chaîne?
(a) that he is happy.
(b) that he has not changed.
(c) that he is proud of his work.
(d) that he is rich.
2. What is Mahoudeau's comment after the sculpture falls apart?
(a) God must be telling me something.
(b) this is what poverty gets you.
(c) there's plenty of time to start over.
(d) I didn't like it anyway.
3. Why does Mahoudeau's sculpture fall over?
(a) an earthquake shakes his studio.
(b) Chaîne smashes it out of jealousy over Mathilde.
(c) as the room warms, the clay carving melts.
(d) Claude accidentally bumps into it.
4. Why are Sandoz and Claude depressed after visiting Dubuche in the country?
(a) he has gone into politics in the provinces.
(b) he has become so important that he has no time for them.
(c) he has been reduced to a disrespected care giver.
(d) he has become a snobbish art dealer.
5. When Christine awakes to find Claude gone, where does she find him?
(a) sitting by the fire drinking wine.
(b) hanging from the ladder in front of his painting.
(c) dressing to go out into the cold.
(d) lying in Jacques's small bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the site that arouses Claude's enthusiasm after failing again to be included in the Salon?
2. Which friends of Claude's show up at the funeral?
3. How does Claude afford a larger studio to work on his masterpiece?
4. Why does Sandoz stay away from Claude for a time?
5. Whose painting called The Lunch Party is a slick, commercial imitation of Claude's open air style?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)