|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Irma say Fagerolles and Jory grew out of?
(a) the same gap in the pavement.
(b) the same cabbage patch.
(c) the same mansion in the country.
(d) the same school of ambitious thought.
2. What reawakens in Claude and Sandoz with their renewed friendship?
(a) their sense of competition.
(b) their old desire for fame.
(c) their need for nature hikes.
(d) their old doubts about their work.
3. What self imposed time limit has Claude put on finishing his painting called Open Air?
(a) nine months.
(b) six weeks.
(c) one year.
(d) six months.
4. What does Bongrand do before Claude sees his work hanging in the Salon des Refusés?
(a) he gives Claude high praise.
(b) he withdraws his own painting.
(c) he laughs in Claude's face.
(d) he takes Claude to tea.
5. What works are shown in the Salon des Refusés?
(a) those refused for the regular Salon showing.
(b) those eligible for special prizes.
(c) those too good to go in the regular Salon.
(d) those from unknown artists.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christine do the morning after she and Claude consummate their love?
2. Where does Claude want to exhibit his painting?
3. How has Jory stirred up the Paris art scene?
4. What suggestion does Pierre make to Claude about Christine?
5. Who is Mathilde Jabouille?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the attraction Jory has developed for Mathilde.
2. Explain how Claude turns on Christine as the reason his grand painting is not coming together for him.
3. Describe how Claude further distances himself from Christine and Jacques.
4. How does the atmosphere of the country begin to change for Claude and Christine?
5. What is the scene in the the Café Baudequin that adds to the image of defeat for the open air school of thought?
6. What is Claude's behavior after a party at Sandoz's house that alarms Christine?
7. How does Claude exhibit manic behavior during the night?
8. Explain the result of Claude's and Christine's visit to the country.
9. How have things changed for Fagerolles?
10. Explain why Christine refuses to go sightseeing with Claude on the streets of Paris.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)