|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides Jory, who else is vying for the attention of Mathilde?
(a) Bongrand and Hugo.
(b) Chaîne and Mahoudeau.
(c) Pierre and Dubuche.
(d) Ganière and Dubuche.
2. Who is the ugly family walking along with Dubuche?
(a) the family of Duquersonnièr.
(b) the family of Mathilde.
(c) the family of Margaillan, a self-made millionaire.
(d) the family of Dubuche's landlord.
3. When was the beginnings of the Bohemian lifestyle of Claude and Pierre?
(a) after they were rejected by the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts.
(b) during their school days.
(c) after they met Delacroix.
(d) when they moved to Paris.
4. Who is Jory looking for when he bumps into Claude?
5. Why does Claude start going out alone to paint leaving Christine in the cottage?
(a) because he wants to be alone.
(b) because she is pregnant.
(c) because she keeps questioning his colors.
(d) because she talks too much.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jory insist that Claude go with him to see?
2. How does Claude often see himself artistically?
3. What do Sandoz and Dubuche see in Claude's studio that captures their attention?
4. What two agonies does Sandoz mention that Claude is all too familiar with?
5. Where does Claude find Ganière after the dinner at Pierre's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Christine's response to their love making a believable part of the story?
2. How is Sandoz, the one character besides Claude who remains steadfast to the revolt against romanticism, able to remain steadfast to their revolutionary ideas?
3. How does Sandoz know that there is trouble brewing as the group of friends go out after the Salon?
4. In what way do some of Claude's friends add to his personal insecurity?
5. Why is Claude told not to bring Christine to the Thursday night gatherings?
6. Discuss the Salon des Refusés.
7. How do praise and laughter demonstrate Claude's personal insecurities at the Salon des Refusés?
8. How does the atmosphere of the country begin to change for Claude and Christine?
9. What is the physical evidence that Dubuche has already deserted to the enemy?
10. What happens when Sandoz takes Claude back to visit the country where he once lived?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)