|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although Bongrand now only paints what interests him, why can the Beaux-Arts not overlook him?
(a) because of his earlier masterpiece.
(b) because of his great popularity.
(c) because of his great contributions of money.
(d) because of his reputation for vengeance.
2. What self imposed time limit has Claude put on finishing his painting called Open Air?
(a) six months.
(b) six weeks.
(c) one year.
(d) nine months.
3. What gift does Christine send Claude just before his opening in the Salon des Refusés?
(a) a bouquet of white lilacs.
(b) a pie she baked.
(c) a lock of her hair.
(d) a book of poetry.
4. Rejected for the Prix de Rome, what is Fagerolles now painting?
(a) copies of Claude's work.
(c) slick, compromising pictures.
5. Who is Mathilde Jabouille?
(a) the woman Pierre and Claude saw in the herbalist's window.
(b) the fat wife of the skinny herbalist.
(c) a common trollop who loves Mahoudeau.
(d) a wealthy patron ordering a bust of herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Claude go for a cheap lunch?
2. What does Claude do the next morning as the young woman sleeps?
3. What is Pierre Sandoz doing for Claude?
4. How does the young woman want to sleep?
5. Where does Claude find Ganière after the dinner at Pierre's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do praise and laughter demonstrate Claude's personal insecurities at the Salon des Refusés?
2. What is the pathos of Claude's funeral?
3. How do Christine and Claude react differently to tragedy?
4. What is the showdown between Christine and the nude woman in Claude's painting?
5. What indicates that Claude would be perfectly happy just to see Christine from time to time rather than have her move in with him?
6. How does Zola show that the young woman is a proper young lady and not a trollop as Claude suspects?
7. What is another evidence of how the Open air group is drifting apart?
8. How does Dubuche's appearance at the Thursday night gathering indicate his ultimate destruction as an avant-guarde architect?
9. Discuss the Salon des Refusés.
10. As the character of Claude develops in the novel, what appears to be his greatest fault?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)