|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Christine do just before the deadline to enter a painting at the Salon?
(a) she urges him to use Irma as a model.
(b) she poses in a wet sheet for Claude.
(c) she buys him a new set of paints.
(d) she removes her clothes and poses nude for Claude.
2. Why was Mahoudeau sent to Paris from Plassans?
(a) he was to become an architect.
(b) he lost a bet.
(c) he was courting the mayor's daughter.
(d) he won a sculpture contest.
3. Why does Christine resist sightseeing in Paris with Claude?
(a) she worries she will lose track of time.
(b) she still worries about being out with a man.
(c) she worries he will take her to a hotel.
(d) she worries she might run into her employer.
4. In spite of opposition, how does Sandoz continue to write?
(a) avoiding any controversial subject.
(b) copying the great literary masters.
(c) honestly and exactly as he feels.
(d) using atrange and unexplained vocabulary.
5. How has Claude's past prepared him for living in the country?
(a) he is just a country boy at heart.
(b) he knows how easy it is to hide in the country.
(c) he remembers the fresh air of the country.
(d) he returns to the nature walks he once had with Sandoz.
Short Answer Questions
1. Back in Paris, Claude returns to walking the streets and leaves what up to Christine?
2. What does Claude do the next morning as the young woman sleeps?
3. Which of Claude's friends do he and Christine see in the street?
4. Who now has a mansion near Claude's and Christine's cottage?
5. Where does Irma say Fagerolles and Jory grew out of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Claude's goal for gaining acceptance of his art?
2. What is the pathos of Claude's funeral?
3. How does Fagerolles manage to get Claude's painting of the Dead Child included in the Salon proper?
4. Describe how Claude begins to change his attitude toward living in the country.
5. Explain why Christine refuses to go sightseeing with Claude on the streets of Paris.
6. In what way is Christine's response to their love making a believable part of the story?
7. Describe how Claude further distances himself from Christine and Jacques.
8. How does Zola show the domestic side of Christine?
9. In what way does the reader understand that Claude is first and foremost an artist?
10. Describe the attraction Jory has developed for Mathilde.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)