|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Claude and Sandoz become exasperated with stupidity of the crowd?
(a) people eating in the Salon.
(b) the pushing and shoving.
(c) their apparent lack of taste.
(d) the sound of laughter.
2. How is Claude received at Duquersonnièr's studio?
(a) with antagonism from the architecture students.
(b) by being ignored because they are all busy.
(c) with joy and lots of pats on the back.
(d) by being thrown out of the studio.
3. When was the beginnings of the Bohemian lifestyle of Claude and Pierre?
(a) during their school days.
(b) after they met Delacroix.
(c) when they moved to Paris.
(d) after they were rejected by the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts.
4. Where does Claude find Ganière after the dinner at Pierre's house?
(a) walking the street in front of Irma's house.
(b) sleeping under a bridge across the Seine.
(c) sitting alone on a park bench.
(d) at their old table in the Café Baudequin.
5. In spite of opposition, how does Sandoz continue to write?
(a) avoiding any controversial subject.
(b) honestly and exactly as he feels.
(c) using atrange and unexplained vocabulary.
(d) copying the great literary masters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ironic switch in attitude occurs when Christine finally agrees to go in public with Claude?
2. How does Christine re-enter Claude's life?
3. How has Claude's past prepared him for living in the country?
4. What does Bongrand do before Claude sees his work hanging in the Salon des Refusés?
5. To whom does Christine turn to help get Claude out of his depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Christine's response to their love making a believable part of the story?
2. Describe the image of Claude, Sandoz, Jory, and Chaîne marching through the streets of Paris.
3. What is the pathos of Claude's funeral?
4. Discuss Claude's conversations with Christine that show he is more and more dissatisfied.
5. What is the occasion when Claude first goes to the Salon to look for his painting?
6. When Claude finally locates his painting, how does he once again feel rejected?
7. Explain why Christine refuses to go sightseeing with Claude on the streets of Paris.
8. After returning to Paris, what indicates that Claude is taking Christine for granted and no longer has a romantic love for her?
9. In what way does the reader understand that Claude is first and foremost an artist?
10. How does Zola show that the young woman is a proper young lady and not a trollop as Claude suspects?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)