|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem do Sandoz and Dubuche have with Claude's Open Air painting?
(a) the drabness of the color.
(b) the clothed man with nude women.
(c) the fact that the man is only seen from the back.
(d) the idea of nude women in the park.
2. How does the young woman want to sleep?
(a) in her wet clothes on the floor.
(b) in her wet clothes sitting up in a chair.
(c) in the bed with Claude.
(d) sitting up wrapped in a blanket.
3. How does Zola paint Claude Lantier's angst?
(a) by his desire to protect his paintings.
(b) by his partying when he should be working.
(c) by his mood swings over his painting.
(d) by his obsession with time.
4. Who now has a mansion near Claude's and Christine's cottage?
(a) Irma Bécot.
(b) the Margaillan family.
(c) Pierre Sandoz.
5. Beside the clothed man and the naked women, what are the people criticizing?
(a) his heavy brush strokes.
(b) his use of the color blue to indicate daylight.
(c) his oddly shaped trees.
(d) his savage color combinations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous artist joins the group at Pierre's house?
2. How does Claude often see himself artistically?
3. How does Bongrand get rid of Naudet when he comes to buy one of his paintings?
4. What does Bongrand say is better than being at the top?
5. What works are shown in the Salon des Refusés?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Christine and Claude react differently to tragedy?
2. How is history repeated with Claude and his huge canvas?
3. Explain how Claude turns on Christine as the reason his grand painting is not coming together for him.
4. How does the foreshadowed tragedy come to pass?
5. What happens when Sandoz takes Claude back to visit the country where he once lived?
6. How does Zola show the domestic side of Christine?
7. Describe the irony when Christine finally agrees to walk with Claude in public.
8. In what way is Christine's response to their love making a believable part of the story?
9. What is another evidence of how the Open air group is drifting apart?
10. What is the physical evidence that Dubuche has already deserted to the enemy?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)