|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Claude told not to bring Christine to the Thursday night dinners?
(a) because they are not married.
(b) because she is too uncouth.
(c) because she needs to be with Jacques.
(d) because they quarrel too much.
2. Where does Claude want to exhibit his painting?
(a) the Salon at the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts.
(b) the Louvre.
(c) the Luxemburg Museum.
(d) on the sidewalks of Paris.
3. How does love win out over practicality?
(a) Christine gets MMe. Vandaze to move to Paris.
(b) Christine resigns her position and moves in with Claude.
(c) Christine murders Mme. Vandaze.
(d) Christine never returns to Passy.
4. Although Naudet can spot a good deal, how does Claude see him?
(a) as a leech in the world of art.
(b) as a brilliant critic of good art.
(c) as a man who is completely indifferent to good painting.
(d) as an opportunist who cares little about artists.
5. To whom does Christine turn to help get Claude out of his depression?
Short Answer Questions
1. Although frequently inspired by what he sees in the country, how does Claude react?
2. What happens when the young woman wakes up?
3. Why is Christine able to come to Paris from Passy?
4. How does Claude behave around Christine?
5. What does the lusty Jory like about Mahoudeau's sculpture of the Grape Picker?
Short Essay Questions
1. Aside from the poverty of Claude's studio, how does the reader come to understand how poor Claude actually is?
2. What is Claude's goal for gaining acceptance of his art?
3. How does Claude hurt Christine deeply with his complaint about her dinner?
4. How has Fagerolles become swallowed up by the commercial world of art?
5. What happens when Sandoz takes Claude back to visit the country where he once lived?
6. How does Dubuche's appearance at the Thursday night gathering indicate his ultimate destruction as an avant-guarde architect?
7. Discuss the Salon des Refusés.
8. How does the foreshadowed tragedy come to pass?
9. Discuss Claude's conversations with Christine that show he is more and more dissatisfied.
10. How do Christine and Claude react differently to tragedy?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)