|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After renewing his association with Sandoz, what is Claude incessantly talking about?
(a) people in Paris Christine has never known.
(b) going to study in Italy.
(c) the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts.
(d) how Mahoudeau and ChaÃ®ne killed off Jabouille.
2. Where do Claude and Christine go on a short trip?
(a) to the south of France near the sea.
(b) to the countryside in Claude's home town.
(c) to Versailles.
(d) to the countryside and visit an inn called Bennecourt.
3. Why does Sandoz not visit Claude and Christine in the country after August?
(a) his mother becomes gravely ill.
(b) he is about to publish his first novel.
(c) he is getting married.
(d) he is tired of making the trip.
4. Why does Claude suggest that Christine stay with Mme. Vandaze?
(a) she is old and may not need Christine long.
(b) she is old and may leave an inheritance for Christine.
(c) she is old and it is not right to leave her.
(d) she is old and may start needing her more.
5. How has Jory stirred up the Paris art scene?
(a) by promoting Italian art.
(b) by praising the sidewalk artists.
(c) by praising one of Claude's paintings.
(d) by attacking the Studio.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claude recognize about the group that still comes together for the Thursday night soirees?
2. Who is the art dealer who has made a fortune out of buying pieces and manipulating their prices?
3. Although Bongrand now only paints what interests him, why can the Beaux-Arts not overlook him?
4. How does love win out over practicality?
5. Where does Claude go to find Dubuche, the aspiring architect?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the neglect of Jacques symbolized?
2. How does the foreshadowed tragedy come to pass?
3. Describe how Claude begins to change his attitude toward living in the country.
4. How does the reader understand that Claude earns a subsistence?
5. How is history repeated with Claude and his huge canvas?
6. Describe how Claude further distances himself from Christine and Jacques.
7. Explain how Claude turns on Christine as the reason his grand painting is not coming together for him.
8. How does Dubuche's appearance at the Thursday night gathering indicate his ultimate destruction as an avant-guarde architect?
9. As the character of Claude develops in the novel, what appears to be his greatest fault?
10. What is the occasion when Claude first goes to the Salon to look for his painting?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)