|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the former shepherd from near Plassans whose patron sent him to Paris?
2. Returning to Paris, what does Christine want to do?
(a) find a priest and get married.
(b) resign her position and stay with Claude.
(c) get Claude to paint fans for tourists.
(d) break off her relationship with Claude.
3. What does Christine not want to discuss with Claude?
(a) the job she left to be with him.
(b) their lovemaking.
(c) the money she keeps hidden from him.
(d) their not being married.
4. Realizing the people are laughing at his painting, what is Claude's reaction?
(a) he snatches his painting off the wall.
(b) his old insecurities about his talent return.
(c) he storms out of the Salon.
(d) he does not care about their reactions.
5. Rejected for the Prix de Rome, what is Fagerolles now painting?
(a) slick, compromising pictures.
(b) copies of Claude's work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claude recognize about the group that still comes together for the Thursday night soirees?
2. How does Claude react to Jory's comments about his painting?
3. Who does Jory insist that Claude go with him to see?
4. How has Jory stirred up the Paris art scene?
5. How does love win out over practicality?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Claude finally locates his painting, how does he once again feel rejected?
2. How do Christine and Claude react differently to tragedy?
3. What is the physical evidence that Dubuche has already deserted to the enemy?
4. How does Zola show the domestic side of Christine?
5. What indicates that Claude would be perfectly happy just to see Christine from time to time rather than have her move in with him?
6. How does Fagerolles manage to get Claude's painting of the Dead Child included in the Salon proper?
7. What is the scene in the the Café Baudequin that adds to the image of defeat for the open air school of thought?
8. How does the reader know that Christine has been thinking of Claude since the night she spent in his studio?
9. How has Fagerolles become swallowed up by the commercial world of art?
10. How does the atmosphere of the country begin to change for Claude and Christine?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)