|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the young woman wakes up?
(a) she begins to cry.
(b) she slaps Claude's face.
(c) she asks him to pay her for modelling.
(d) she quickly covers herself.
2. Why was Mahoudeau sent to Paris from Plassans?
(a) he won a sculpture contest.
(b) he was to become an architect.
(c) he was courting the mayor's daughter.
(d) he lost a bet.
3. Where does Irma say Fagerolles and Jory grew out of?
(a) the same gap in the pavement.
(b) the same cabbage patch.
(c) the same school of ambitious thought.
(d) the same mansion in the country.
4. How does Zola paint Claude Lantier's angst?
(a) by his desire to protect his paintings.
(b) by his partying when he should be working.
(c) by his obsession with time.
(d) by his mood swings over his painting.
5. Why is Claude told not to bring Christine to the Thursday night dinners?
(a) because they quarrel too much.
(b) because she needs to be with Jacques.
(c) because they are not married.
(d) because she is too uncouth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jory insist that Claude go with him to see?
2. Why do they return late to Paris?
3. Because it is Thursday, what event will take place in the evening?
4. Why does Christine pack up everything to return to Paris?
5. What gift does Christine send Claude just before his opening in the Salon des Refusés?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the character of Claude develops in the novel, what appears to be his greatest fault?
2. How does Dubuche's appearance at the Thursday night gathering indicate his ultimate destruction as an avant-guarde architect?
3. How is Sandoz, the one character besides Claude who remains steadfast to the revolt against romanticism, able to remain steadfast to their revolutionary ideas?
4. How does Claude attempt to make Christine happy once again?
5. Describe the mood at the beginning of the novel.
6. Explain how Claude turns on Christine as the reason his grand painting is not coming together for him.
7. How have things changed for Fagerolles?
8. Why does Christine turn to Sandoz to help pull Claude out of one of his depressions?
9. Describe the difference between Sandoz and Jory as writers.
10. How does Sandoz know that there is trouble brewing as the group of friends go out after the Salon?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)