|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Zola paint Claude Lantier's angst?
(a) by his desire to protect his paintings.
(b) by his obsession with time.
(c) by his partying when he should be working.
(d) by his mood swings over his painting.
2. Although Naudet can spot a good deal, how does Claude see him?
(a) as a brilliant critic of good art.
(b) as a man who is completely indifferent to good painting.
(c) as an opportunist who cares little about artists.
(d) as a leech in the world of art.
3. Why does Christine pack up everything to return to Paris?
(a) to live in a warm apartment during the winter.
(b) to put Jacques in a good school.
(c) to save Claude and save her marriage.
(d) to get herself a job to support Claude.
4. What does Sandoz usually have with him when he goes out?
(a) a book of poetry.
(b) a sack lunch.
(c) a box of paints.
(d) a map of Paris.
5. Where does Irma say Fagerolles and Jory grew out of?
(a) the same gap in the pavement.
(b) the same cabbage patch.
(c) the same school of ambitious thought.
(d) the same mansion in the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bongrand have to say about Fagerolles's painting?
2. What is the subject of Fagerolles's latest painting?
3. Where does Claude go for a cheap lunch?
4. When Claude meets Dubuche on his way to the Margaillan house, why does he invite Dubuche for a visit?
5. How is Claude received at Duquersonnièr's studio?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claude exhibit manic behavior during the night?
2. How is the decision made to return to Paris?
3. How does the foreshadowed tragedy come to pass?
4. What is the pathos of Claude's funeral?
5. Describe Claude's continuing struggle to be accepted by the art circles in Paris.
6. What is the showdown between Christine and the nude woman in Claude's painting?
7. Describe how Claude begins to change his attitude toward living in the country.
8. What is another evidence of how the Open air group is drifting apart?
9. How does Sandoz know that there is trouble brewing as the group of friends go out after the Salon?
10. How does the reader understand that Claude earns a subsistence?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)