Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Christine able to come to Paris from Passy?
(a) she has no contract with her employer.
(b) she carries the mail for her employer.
(c) her employer gives her time off.
(d) she slips out after her employer goes to bed.
2. How does Claude react to Jory's comments about his painting?
(a) he is overjoyed.
(b) he is confused.
(c) he is aghast.
(d) he is insulted.
3. What does she notice about Claude's Open Air painting?
(a) her head has been painted on the body of a nude woman.
(b) there is no body under the head of a nude woman.
(c) the nude woman's body looks like hers.
(d) there is no head on the body of a nude woman.
4. Where does Claude find GaniÃ¨re after the dinner at Pierre's house?
(a) sitting alone on a park bench.
(b) at their old table in the CafÃ© Baudequin.
(c) walking the street in front of Irma's house.
(d) sleeping under a bridge across the Seine.
5. Why does Irma become angry with Claude during a visit to his studio?
(a) he rejects her as a nude model.
(b) he rejects her as a lover.
(c) he rejects her as an art critic.
(d) he rejects her as a patron.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jory's excuse for not writing about anyone in the group?
2. What self imposed time limit has Claude put on finishing his painting called Open Air?
3. Who has come to the Salon with GaniÃ¨re?
4. What problem do Sandoz and Dubuche have with Claude's Open Air painting?
5. What ironic switch in attitude occurs when Christine finally agrees to go in public with Claude?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the friendship between Claude, Sandoz, and Dubuche.
2. Explain how Sandoz maintains his artistic integrity with his novels.
3. Explain why Christine refuses to go sightseeing with Claude on the streets of Paris.
4. What is it that frightens Christine about Claude?
5. How does the reader know that Christine has been thinking of Claude since the night she spent in his studio?
6. Explain how Claude turns on Christine as the reason his grand painting is not coming together for him.
7. How do praise and laughter demonstrate Claude's personal insecurities at the Salon des RefusÃ©s?
8. What is Claude's goal for gaining acceptance of his art?
9. How does Claude hurt Christine deeply with his complaint about her dinner?
10. Describe how Claude further distances himself from Christine and Jacques.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)