|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the young men of the Open Air movement see themselves?
(a) as misunderstood prophets.
(b) as successful artists.
(c) as lost in a wasteland.
(d) as conquerors of Paris.
2. What does the lusty Jory like about Mahoudeau's sculpture of the Grape Picker?
(a) the life-like look of her face.
(b) the amount of clay used in the mold.
(c) her ample bosom and thick thighs.
(d) her feet and hands.
3. How is Claude received at Duquersonnièr's studio?
(a) with joy and lots of pats on the back.
(b) by being ignored because they are all busy.
(c) with antagonism from the architecture students.
(d) by being thrown out of the studio.
4. Where does Claude find Ganière after the dinner at Pierre's house?
(a) at their old table in the Café Baudequin.
(b) walking the street in front of Irma's house.
(c) sleeping under a bridge across the Seine.
(d) sitting alone on a park bench.
5. How does Claude react to Jory's comments about his painting?
(a) he is insulted.
(b) he is aghast.
(c) he is confused.
(d) he is overjoyed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Claude's friends in Paris think is the ideal life for an artist?
2. What does Christine do just before the deadline to enter a painting at the Salon?
3. What is Claude thinking about as he walks home late at night?
4. What happens when the young woman wakes up?
5. Why were girls not allowed in their group of friends back in the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Christine's response to their love making a believable part of the story?
2. Aside from the poverty of Claude's studio, how does the reader come to understand how poor Claude actually is?
3. What is the physical evidence that Dubuche has already deserted to the enemy?
4. What is the showdown between Christine and the nude woman in Claude's painting?
5. Describe how Claude begins to change his attitude toward living in the country.
6. Explain the result of Claude's and Christine's visit to the country.
7. Describe Claude's behavior after the Salon.
8. What happens when Sandoz takes Claude back to visit the country where he once lived?
9. How is history repeated with Claude and his huge canvas?
10. Describe the difference between Sandoz and Jory as writers.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)