|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it about Claude's use of colors that Christine has difficulty understanding?
(a) people with purple skin.
(b) blue in the poplar trees and mauve in the ground.
(c) red bananas and yellow apples.
(d) yellow skies and pink clouds.
2. Ready to leave, what does the young woman do?
(a) she offers to cook breakfast.
(b) she asks Claude for money.
(c) she attempts to clean up the studio.
(d) she begs Claude to escort her to the train station.
3. Who do Claude, Pierre, and Jory find sitting at a table making sketches with drops of beer?
4. How do the young men of the Open Air movement see themselves?
(a) as lost in a wasteland.
(b) as conquerors of Paris.
(c) as misunderstood prophets.
(d) as successful artists.
5. To whom does Christine turn to help get Claude out of his depression?
Short Answer Questions
1. Realizing the people are laughing at his painting, what is Claude's reaction?
2. What happens when the young woman wakes up?
3. What does Christine do the morning after she and Claude consummate their love?
4. How does Bongrand get rid of Naudet when he comes to buy one of his paintings?
5. How does Zola paint Claude Lantier's angst?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Claude's behavior after a party at Sandoz's house that alarms Christine?
2. Why is Claude told not to bring Christine to the Thursday night gatherings?
3. How does Sandoz know that there is trouble brewing as the group of friends go out after the Salon?
4. How does Claude attempt to make Christine happy once again?
5. How is Sandoz, the one character besides Claude who remains steadfast to the revolt against romanticism, able to remain steadfast to their revolutionary ideas?
6. Describe Claude's continuing struggle to be accepted by the art circles in Paris.
7. Describe the friendship between Claude, Sandoz, and Dubuche.
8. How does the reader know that Christine has been thinking of Claude since the night she spent in his studio?
9. Discuss Claude's conversations with Christine that show he is more and more dissatisfied.
10. Explain how Claude turns on Christine as the reason his grand painting is not coming together for him.
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)