Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the Dead Child painting finally approved for hanging in the Salon?
(a) it is approved by mistake.
(b) Fagerolles uses his "charity" vote.
(c) Bongrand demands it.
(d) it is considered a real masterpiece at last.
2. When he submits the snow scene to the Beaux-Arts Salon, what happens?
(a) it is rejected.
(b) it is damaged and returned to him.
(c) it is highly praised.
(d) it is disqualified because of its size.
3. How does Christine began to feel about her relationship with Claude?
(a) that she has grown tired and ugly.
(b) that she knows how to get him back.
(c) that she is playing second fiddle to a painting.
(d) that she made a mistake falling in love with Claude.
4. What is the irony of Sandoz's new house?
(a) it has become a shrine to his late mother.
(b) it is an eclectic and old fashioned abode for a very modern writer.
(c) it is in the same area as Irma's and Fagerolles's houses.
(d) it is large and ostentacious.
5. What breaks the solemn reverie of Sandoz and Bongrand at the cemetery?
(a) the sound of a passing train.
(b) a sudden rainstorm.
(c) a parade passing by.
(d) the lamenting of a funeral nearby.
6. Why does Claude do a smaller version of his large painting?
(a) to show Bongrand.
(b) to submit to the Salon.
(c) to practice his new brush strokes.
(d) to check his colors.
7. What is it that Claude does not know while he waits to see if the Dead Child will be included in the Salon?
(a) what Fagerolles does to get it included.
(b) how popular he has suddenly become.
(c) how Bongand exerted his influence on the committee.
(d) how the new committe has changed its ideas.
8. Why is Christine under so much nervous tension after they get back to Paris?
(a) too many people come to visit.
(b) the studio is small and Jacques is often in the way.
(c) Claude seldom comes home.
(d) she thinks she might be pregnant again.
9. What time does Claude return to his studio home?
(a) about three in the morning.
(b) a week later.
(c) the next day.
(d) about dawn.
10. When Christine opens the door of the bedroom, what is Claude doing?
(a) he is drinking cognac and weeping.
(b) he is furiously painting his vision of the Ile de la Cité.
(c) he is scraping off the paint on his large canvas.
(d) he is ripping up his large canvas.
11. What tragedy strikes the Lantier household one night?
(a) Jacques dies alone in his bed.
(b) the studio catches on fire.
(c) Claude falls from his scaffolding.
(d) Christine has a miscarriage.
12. How does Claude afford a larger studio to work on his masterpiece?
(a) by painting murals for rich clients.
(b) by drawing from the capital of his inheritance.
(c) by copying masterpieces of other artists.
(d) by selliing small nude paintings of Christine.
13. How do Claude's friends react to his latest painting?
(a) they think it is too small for a work by Claude.
(b) they want him to offer it to Naudet.
(c) they look at it but do not comment.
(d) they hail it as a masterpiece.
14. For a while, how does Claude make a fairly good living?
(a) copying the old masters.
(b) painting portraits of children.
(c) painting flower still lifes for British tourists.
(d) doing sketches for a newspaper.
15. Again under the spell of Paris, what does Claude do?
(a) talks a lot about his current work.
(b) makes sketches and plans work that never gets started.
(c) stays as far away from Jacques as possible.
(d) paints night and day on his new masterpiece.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Christine confront Claude about the nude woman in his painting?
2. What does Sandoz tray to talk Claude out of doing?
3. How does Ganière drift away from the group of former art revolutionaries?
4. What does Sandoz point out to Claude?
5. What is "varnishing day"?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)