|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What distresses Christine when Claude returns home from the Salon?
(a) his attempt to destroy his large unfinished canvas.
(b) his refusal to take her to the Salon.
(c) his unusually happy manner.
(d) his strange and cold manner.
2. Why do Sandoz and Claude not go into the Café Baudequin that night?
(a) they see Ganière in there alone.
(b) the place has gone out of business.
(c) they see Ganière there with Irma.
(d) they see Fagerolles and Naudet there.
3. What does Claude seem to taunt Christine about from gossip he has heard?
(a) that she was too stupid to find a job.
(b) that a man was coming to the studio when Claude was away.
(c) that Mme. Vandaze died and left fortunes to her servants.
(d) that God cursed her with an unnatural child.
4. What do Sandoz and Bongrand have to say about Claude's early works of art?
(a) they agree that they will go up in value.
(b) they agree that they had only promise of greatness.
(c) they agree that they led him in the wrong direction.
(d) they agree they were extraordinary pieces.
5. When Christine awakes to find Claude gone, where does she find him?
(a) sitting by the fire drinking wine.
(b) hanging from the ladder in front of his painting.
(c) lying in Jacques's small bed.
(d) dressing to go out into the cold.
6. What is "varnishing day"?
(a) the day before the Salon opens.
(b) the day they frame the paintings.
(c) the day they redecorate the Salon.
(d) the day they allow art critics to view the paintings.
7. How does Ganière drift away from the group of former art revolutionaries?
(a) by marrying his old maid music teacher.
(b) by returning to the classics.
(c) by practicing the piano many hours a day.
(d) by spending all his time at concerts.
8. After the party at Sandoz's house, what does Christine do when Claude orders her to return home?
(a) she follows Claude to Irma's house.
(b) she follows Claude to where he stands on a bridge.
(c) she follows Claude to just outside the Beaux-Arts.
(d) she follows Claude to the top of a tall building.
9. What painting is almost rejected before it is discovered to be one by a famous artist?
(a) a painting of people having a picnic outdoors.
(b) a painting of a nude man and a clothed woman.
(c) a painting of a nude lady under a tree.
(d) a painting of blue poplars.
10. What is it that Claude does not know while he waits to see if the Dead Child will be included in the Salon?
(a) how Bongand exerted his influence on the committee.
(b) what Fagerolles does to get it included.
(c) how the new committe has changed its ideas.
(d) how popular he has suddenly become.
11. What tragedy strikes the Lantier household one night?
(a) Claude falls from his scaffolding.
(b) Christine has a miscarriage.
(c) Jacques dies alone in his bed.
(d) the studio catches on fire.
12. Who generally shows up on varnishing day?
(a) the elite of Paris society.
(b) the artists whose works are included.
(c) the riff-raff of Paris.
(d) only the Paris art critics.
13. What is Mahoudeau's comment after the sculpture falls apart?
(a) God must be telling me something.
(b) this is what poverty gets you.
(c) there's plenty of time to start over.
(d) I didn't like it anyway.
14. What is the subject of Claude's snow scene?
(a) two ragged urchins eating stolen apples.
(b) snow on the tops of Paris buildings.
(c) a fine carriage drawn by two white horses.
(d) two children building a snowman.
15. What happens on the wedding night?
(a) Jacques gets sick and Christine has to stay with him.
(b) Claude is unable to make love to Christine.
(c) It is like old times in the country.
(d) Christine goes to bed alone and Claude sketches.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sandoz think might be better for true artists?
2. What is the wedding ceremony for Claude and Christine like?
3. How does Christine confront Claude about the nude woman in his painting?
4. When Sandoz comes to take Claude away from the studio, who do they find as a barker at a carnival?
5. How does Irma Bécot get her revenge on Claude?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)