|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that Claude does not know while he waits to see if the Dead Child will be included in the Salon?
(a) what Fagerolles does to get it included.
(b) how popular he has suddenly become.
(c) how Bongand exerted his influence on the committee.
(d) how the new committe has changed its ideas.
2. What breaks the solemn reverie of Sandoz and Bongrand at the cemetery?
(a) a sudden rainstorm.
(b) the sound of a passing train.
(c) a parade passing by.
(d) the lamenting of a funeral nearby.
3. How does Irma Bécot get her revenge on Claude?
(a) by seducing him in her new mansion.
(b) by buying his painting and burning it.
(c) by seducing Christine.
(d) by spreading gossip about him.
4. What idea does Sandoz have that he thinks might change things for Claude?
(a) throwing a surprise party for Claude and Christine.
(b) having another Thursday evening dinner at his house.
(c) writing a novel about a painter like Claude.
(d) taking Claude on a trip to Italy.
5. Again under the spell of Paris, what does Claude do?
(a) paints night and day on his new masterpiece.
(b) makes sketches and plans work that never gets started.
(c) talks a lot about his current work.
(d) stays as far away from Jacques as possible.
6. What time does Claude return to his studio home?
(a) a week later.
(b) about three in the morning.
(c) the next day.
(d) about dawn.
7. What does Claude blame Christine for when his painting does not come out the way he wants?
(a) that she cannot keep Jacques away.
(b) that she makes too much noise in the studio.
(c) that she keeps changing her position while posing.
(d) that she is no longer a good model.
8. What is the irony of Sandoz's new house?
(a) it is in the same area as Irma's and Fagerolles's houses.
(b) it is large and ostentacious.
(c) it is an eclectic and old fashioned abode for a very modern writer.
(d) it has become a shrine to his late mother.
9. What is Claude's mistaken idea about Chaîne?
(a) that he is rich.
(b) that he has not changed.
(c) that he is proud of his work.
(d) that he is happy.
10. What does Sandoz point out to Claude?
(a) that the critics are all looking at his painting.
(b) that no one is laughing at him now.
(c) the many paintings using his open air style.
(d) that the Dead Child is the only original thing hanging.
11. Why is Christine afraid when she wakes to find Claude not in the bed with her?
(a) she thinks he might be leaving her.
(b) she thinks he is destroying his paintings.
(c) she thinks he might be suicidal.
(d) she thinks he is working too hard.
12. Who lives directly across from Fagerolles's small but well appointed mansion?
(a) Pierre and Henriette.
(c) Irma Bécot.
13. What painting is almost rejected before it is discovered to be one by a famous artist?
(a) a painting of a nude lady under a tree.
(b) a painting of people having a picnic outdoors.
(c) a painting of a nude man and a clothed woman.
(d) a painting of blue poplars.
14. What is "varnishing day"?
(a) the day they redecorate the Salon.
(b) the day they frame the paintings.
(c) the day they allow art critics to view the paintings.
(d) the day before the Salon opens.
15. How does Christine begin to resent Jacques?
(a) blaming him for the loss of her virgin body.
(b) hating to part with the extra money for his upkeep.
(c) wishing he would go away.
(d) being irritated with his demands.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Dubuche been exiled to his father-in-law's home in the country?
2. What happens on the wedding night?
3. Whose painting called The Lunch Party is a slick, commercial imitation of Claude's open air style?
4. How is the Dead Child painting finally approved for hanging in the Salon?
5. For a while, how does Claude make a fairly good living?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)