|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sandoz think might be better for true artists?
(a) to live in Italy instead of France.
(b) to develop a following in England.
(c) to live and die an unknown.
(d) to keep all their works until their death.
2. After the Salon, how does Claude behave?
(a) he puts on a façade of not caring.
(b) he throws himself back into his large painting.
(c) he happily shows himself in public.
(d) he refuses to see anyone.
3. For a while, how does Claude make a fairly good living?
(a) doing sketches for a newspaper.
(b) painting flower still lifes for British tourists.
(c) copying the old masters.
(d) painting portraits of children.
4. Why is Christine afraid when she wakes to find Claude not in the bed with her?
(a) she thinks he might be leaving her.
(b) she thinks he might be suicidal.
(c) she thinks he is destroying his paintings.
(d) she thinks he is working too hard.
5. Again under the spell of Paris, what does Claude do?
(a) stays as far away from Jacques as possible.
(b) makes sketches and plans work that never gets started.
(c) talks a lot about his current work.
(d) paints night and day on his new masterpiece.
6. How is Claude when he and Sandoz return to Paris and go to a restaurant?
(a) he talks about quitting painting and starting to write.
(b) he is agitated and angry at how the country has changed.
(c) he is happy and resolved to return to his large canvas.
(d) he is withdrawn and silent during dinner.
7. What is the wedding ceremony for Claude and Christine like?
(a) plain but meaningful.
(b) elaborate and joyful.
(c) rushed and without emotion.
(d) quick and exciting.
8. What distresses Christine when Claude returns home from the Salon?
(a) his unusually happy manner.
(b) his refusal to take her to the Salon.
(c) his strange and cold manner.
(d) his attempt to destroy his large unfinished canvas.
9. Why is Christine under so much nervous tension after they get back to Paris?
(a) too many people come to visit.
(b) she thinks she might be pregnant again.
(c) Claude seldom comes home.
(d) the studio is small and Jacques is often in the way.
10. How is the Dead Child painting finally approved for hanging in the Salon?
(a) it is approved by mistake.
(b) Bongrand demands it.
(c) Fagerolles uses his "charity" vote.
(d) it is considered a real masterpiece at last.
11. What painting is almost rejected before it is discovered to be one by a famous artist?
(a) a painting of a nude lady under a tree.
(b) a painting of blue poplars.
(c) a painting of people having a picnic outdoors.
(d) a painting of a nude man and a clothed woman.
12. How does Christine confront Claude about the nude woman in his painting?
(a) she says that woman is really her and he should come to her.
(b) she says that woman is her rival for his affections.
(c) she says that woman is a curse on him.
(d) she says that woman is a trollop seducing him.
13. Who lives directly across from Fagerolles's small but well appointed mansion?
(c) Irma Bécot.
(d) Pierre and Henriette.
14. Why is Sandoz being successful as a novelist?
(a) he has started turning out traditional prose.
(b) he is no longer controversial.
(c) he refuses to change his ideas about modern writing.
(d) he uses Claude's art on the cover of his books.
15. Who takes charge of the funeral and getting Christine to the hospital?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which friends of Claude's show up at the funeral?
2. What do Sandoz and Bongrand have to say about Claude's early works of art?
3. What is "varnishing day"?
4. To stay close to Claude and fight her rival, the painting, what does Christine decide to do?
5. What happens on the wedding night?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)