|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Claude seem to taunt Christine about from gossip he has heard?
(a) that Mme. Vandaze died and left fortunes to her servants.
(b) that God cursed her with an unnatural child.
(c) that a man was coming to the studio when Claude was away.
(d) that she was too stupid to find a job.
2. What purchases does Claude make to get started with his painting?
(a) large paper and new pencils to make his sketches.
(b) new lights and a heater for the studio.
(c) a large frame and seamless canvas.
(d) new paints and brushes.
3. Why is Christine under so much nervous tension after they get back to Paris?
(a) the studio is small and Jacques is often in the way.
(b) Claude seldom comes home.
(c) too many people come to visit.
(d) she thinks she might be pregnant again.
4. How do Claude's friends react to his latest painting?
(a) they look at it but do not comment.
(b) they hail it as a masterpiece.
(c) they think it is too small for a work by Claude.
(d) they want him to offer it to Naudet.
5. After the Salon, how does Claude behave?
(a) he puts on a façade of not caring.
(b) he happily shows himself in public.
(c) he refuses to see anyone.
(d) he throws himself back into his large painting.
6. Why does Claude do a smaller version of his large painting?
(a) to practice his new brush strokes.
(b) to submit to the Salon.
(c) to show Bongrand.
(d) to check his colors.
7. What happens on the wedding night?
(a) It is like old times in the country.
(b) Claude is unable to make love to Christine.
(c) Jacques gets sick and Christine has to stay with him.
(d) Christine goes to bed alone and Claude sketches.
8. After finally getting Claude back in bed, what happens in Claude's head?
(a) he hears the woman in his painting calling him.
(b) he has a stroke and becomes paralyzed.
(c) he plots how to get rid of Christine.
(d) he hears the laughter of the people in the Salon.
9. What idea does Sandoz have that he thinks might change things for Claude?
(a) throwing a surprise party for Claude and Christine.
(b) writing a novel about a painter like Claude.
(c) taking Claude on a trip to Italy.
(d) having another Thursday evening dinner at his house.
10. What does Sandoz tray to talk Claude out of doing?
(a) giving no time to Jacques.
(b) placing a nude woman in his painting.
(c) working too many long hours.
(d) sending any more paintings to the Salon.
11. Who lives directly across from Fagerolles's small but well appointed mansion?
(b) Irma Bécot.
(c) Pierre and Henriette.
12. What is Mahoudeau's comment after the sculpture falls apart?
(a) I didn't like it anyway.
(b) this is what poverty gets you.
(c) God must be telling me something.
(d) there's plenty of time to start over.
13. What are the Salon committee's reactions to Claude's Dead Child painting?
(a) excited or indifferent.
(b) disgust or pity.
(c) positive or skeptical.
(d) shock or amusement.
14. What is the wedding ceremony for Claude and Christine like?
(a) elaborate and joyful.
(b) quick and exciting.
(c) rushed and without emotion.
(d) plain but meaningful.
15. Why does Sandoz stay away from Claude for a time?
(a) he is giving Claude the cold shoulder.
(b) his novels are not selling now.
(c) he and Henriette are having problems.
(d) he is grieving for his dead mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Christine afraid when she wakes to find Claude not in the bed with her?
2. To stay close to Claude and fight her rival, the painting, what does Christine decide to do?
3. What time does Claude return to his studio home?
4. What is the subject of Claude's snow scene?
5. How is the Dead Child painting finally approved for hanging in the Salon?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)