|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the Salon, how does Claude behave?
(a) he refuses to see anyone.
(b) he happily shows himself in public.
(c) he throws himself back into his large painting.
(d) he puts on a façade of not caring.
2. When Christine suggests they go away somewhere to be happy, what is Claude's reply?
(a) that he can only be happy in his studio.
(b) that he will think about it.
(c) hat he does not want to be happy, he only wants to paint.
(d) that she sounds just like Sandoz.
3. Why is Christine afraid when she wakes to find Claude not in the bed with her?
(a) she thinks he might be suicidal.
(b) she thinks he is working too hard.
(c) she thinks he is destroying his paintings.
(d) she thinks he might be leaving her.
4. What are the Salon committee's reactions to Claude's Dead Child painting?
(a) shock or amusement.
(b) positive or skeptical.
(c) excited or indifferent.
(d) disgust or pity.
5. What idea does Sandoz have that he thinks might change things for Claude?
(a) writing a novel about a painter like Claude.
(b) throwing a surprise party for Claude and Christine.
(c) having another Thursday evening dinner at his house.
(d) taking Claude on a trip to Italy.
6. After finally getting Claude back in bed, what happens in Claude's head?
(a) he plots how to get rid of Christine.
(b) he hears the laughter of the people in the Salon.
(c) he has a stroke and becomes paralyzed.
(d) he hears the woman in his painting calling him.
7. After the party at Sandoz's house, what does Christine do when Claude orders her to return home?
(a) she follows Claude to Irma's house.
(b) she follows Claude to where he stands on a bridge.
(c) she follows Claude to the top of a tall building.
(d) she follows Claude to just outside the Beaux-Arts.
8. What distresses Christine when Claude returns home from the Salon?
(a) his unusually happy manner.
(b) his strange and cold manner.
(c) his refusal to take her to the Salon.
(d) his attempt to destroy his large unfinished canvas.
9. When Christine awakes to find Claude gone, where does she find him?
(a) lying in Jacques's small bed.
(b) sitting by the fire drinking wine.
(c) hanging from the ladder in front of his painting.
(d) dressing to go out into the cold.
10. What tragedy strikes the Lantier household one night?
(a) Christine has a miscarriage.
(b) the studio catches on fire.
(c) Jacques dies alone in his bed.
(d) Claude falls from his scaffolding.
11. What is it that Claude does not know while he waits to see if the Dead Child will be included in the Salon?
(a) how Bongand exerted his influence on the committee.
(b) how popular he has suddenly become.
(c) how the new committe has changed its ideas.
(d) what Fagerolles does to get it included.
12. How is Claude when he and Sandoz return to Paris and go to a restaurant?
(a) he is happy and resolved to return to his large canvas.
(b) he is agitated and angry at how the country has changed.
(c) he is withdrawn and silent during dinner.
(d) he talks about quitting painting and starting to write.
13. What is the site that arouses Claude's enthusiasm after failing again to be included in the Salon?
(a) Cathedral Notre Dame.
(b) the Eiffel Tower.
(c) ice on the Seine.
(d) the Ile de la Cité.
14. Why is Sandoz being successful as a novelist?
(a) he has started turning out traditional prose.
(b) he refuses to change his ideas about modern writing.
(c) he uses Claude's art on the cover of his books.
(d) he is no longer controversial.
15. What is Claude's mistaken idea about Chaîne?
(a) that he is happy.
(b) that he is proud of his work.
(c) that he is rich.
(d) that he has not changed.
Short Answer Questions
1. To stay close to Claude and fight her rival, the painting, what does Christine decide to do?
2. How do Claude's friends react to his latest painting?
3. How does Christine began to feel about her relationship with Claude?
4. What do Sandoz and Bongrand have to say about Claude's early works of art?
5. Why are Sandoz and Claude depressed after visiting Dubuche in the country?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)