|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the irony of Sandoz's new house?
(a) it is large and ostentacious.
(b) it has become a shrine to his late mother.
(c) it is an eclectic and old fashioned abode for a very modern writer.
(d) it is in the same area as Irma's and Fagerolles's houses.
2. How does Christine began to feel about her relationship with Claude?
(a) that she has grown tired and ugly.
(b) that she made a mistake falling in love with Claude.
(c) that she knows how to get him back.
(d) that she is playing second fiddle to a painting.
3. What does Sandoz tray to talk Claude out of doing?
(a) giving no time to Jacques.
(b) working too many long hours.
(c) placing a nude woman in his painting.
(d) sending any more paintings to the Salon.
4. What is "varnishing day"?
(a) the day before the Salon opens.
(b) the day they allow art critics to view the paintings.
(c) the day they redecorate the Salon.
(d) the day they frame the paintings.
5. Who lives directly across from Fagerolles's small but well appointed mansion?
(b) Irma Bécot.
(c) Pierre and Henriette.
6. What is it that Claude does not know while he waits to see if the Dead Child will be included in the Salon?
(a) how Bongand exerted his influence on the committee.
(b) how popular he has suddenly become.
(c) how the new committe has changed its ideas.
(d) what Fagerolles does to get it included.
7. To stay close to Claude and fight her rival, the painting, what does Christine decide to do?
(a) take a knife to the painting.
(b) discourage Claude by saying it is not good.
(c) clean his brushes and make great meals.
(d) be his nude model for the painting.
8. How does Irma Bécot get her revenge on Claude?
(a) by seducing Christine.
(b) by buying his painting and burning it.
(c) by spreading gossip about him.
(d) by seducing him in her new mansion.
9. What does Claude blame Christine for when his painting does not come out the way he wants?
(a) that she is no longer a good model.
(b) that she makes too much noise in the studio.
(c) that she cannot keep Jacques away.
(d) that she keeps changing her position while posing.
10. What tragedy strikes the Lantier household one night?
(a) Jacques dies alone in his bed.
(b) Claude falls from his scaffolding.
(c) Christine has a miscarriage.
(d) the studio catches on fire.
11. When Christine awakes to find Claude gone, where does she find him?
(a) lying in Jacques's small bed.
(b) sitting by the fire drinking wine.
(c) dressing to go out into the cold.
(d) hanging from the ladder in front of his painting.
12. What purchases does Claude make to get started with his painting?
(a) new lights and a heater for the studio.
(b) new paints and brushes.
(c) large paper and new pencils to make his sketches.
(d) a large frame and seamless canvas.
13. What are the Salon committee's reactions to Claude's Dead Child painting?
(a) excited or indifferent.
(b) shock or amusement.
(c) positive or skeptical.
(d) disgust or pity.
14. What is the wedding ceremony for Claude and Christine like?
(a) rushed and without emotion.
(b) quick and exciting.
(c) elaborate and joyful.
(d) plain but meaningful.
15. Why does Mahoudeau's sculpture fall over?
(a) as the room warms, the clay carving melts.
(b) Claude accidentally bumps into it.
(c) an earthquake shakes his studio.
(d) Chaîne smashes it out of jealousy over Mathilde.
Short Answer Questions
1. Again under the spell of Paris, what does Claude do?
2. Why is Sandoz being successful as a novelist?
3. What does Sandoz think might be better for true artists?
4. Why has Dubuche been exiled to his father-in-law's home in the country?
5. Which friends of Claude's show up at the funeral?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)