|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "varnishing day"?
(a) the day they redecorate the Salon.
(b) the day they allow art critics to view the paintings.
(c) the day before the Salon opens.
(d) the day they frame the paintings.
2. How do Claude's friends react to his latest painting?
(a) they want him to offer it to Naudet.
(b) they look at it but do not comment.
(c) they think it is too small for a work by Claude.
(d) they hail it as a masterpiece.
3. What is Claude's mistaken idea about Chaîne?
(a) that he has not changed.
(b) that he is happy.
(c) that he is proud of his work.
(d) that he is rich.
4. Why has Dubuche been exiled to his father-in-law's home in the country?
(a) one of his designs became a laughing stock in Paris.
(b) it became clear that he really has no talent for architecture.
(c) the pressure of building houses caused him to have a breakdown.
(d) he was never successful and now cares for his wife and sickly children.
5. What painting is almost rejected before it is discovered to be one by a famous artist?
(a) a painting of a nude man and a clothed woman.
(b) a painting of a nude lady under a tree.
(c) a painting of people having a picnic outdoors.
(d) a painting of blue poplars.
6. After the Salon, how does Claude behave?
(a) he throws himself back into his large painting.
(b) he happily shows himself in public.
(c) he refuses to see anyone.
(d) he puts on a façade of not caring.
7. What idea does Sandoz have that he thinks might change things for Claude?
(a) taking Claude on a trip to Italy.
(b) having another Thursday evening dinner at his house.
(c) throwing a surprise party for Claude and Christine.
(d) writing a novel about a painter like Claude.
8. Again under the spell of Paris, what does Claude do?
(a) talks a lot about his current work.
(b) stays as far away from Jacques as possible.
(c) makes sketches and plans work that never gets started.
(d) paints night and day on his new masterpiece.
9. Why is Christine afraid when she wakes to find Claude not in the bed with her?
(a) she thinks he is working too hard.
(b) she thinks he might be suicidal.
(c) she thinks he might be leaving her.
(d) she thinks he is destroying his paintings.
10. Who lives directly across from Fagerolles's small but well appointed mansion?
(c) Irma Bécot.
(d) Pierre and Henriette.
11. How does Christine confront Claude about the nude woman in his painting?
(a) she says that woman is her rival for his affections.
(b) she says that woman is a trollop seducing him.
(c) she says that woman is really her and he should come to her.
(d) she says that woman is a curse on him.
12. What is the subject of Claude's snow scene?
(a) a fine carriage drawn by two white horses.
(b) two children building a snowman.
(c) snow on the tops of Paris buildings.
(d) two ragged urchins eating stolen apples.
13. Why does Claude do a smaller version of his large painting?
(a) to submit to the Salon.
(b) to check his colors.
(c) to show Bongrand.
(d) to practice his new brush strokes.
14. After finally getting Claude back in bed, what happens in Claude's head?
(a) he has a stroke and becomes paralyzed.
(b) he hears the woman in his painting calling him.
(c) he plots how to get rid of Christine.
(d) he hears the laughter of the people in the Salon.
15. How does Irma Bécot get her revenge on Claude?
(a) by buying his painting and burning it.
(b) by seducing Christine.
(c) by spreading gossip about him.
(d) by seducing him in her new mansion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mahoudeau's sculpture fall over?
2. How does Christine began to feel about her relationship with Claude?
3. What time does Claude return to his studio home?
4. Why is Sandoz being successful as a novelist?
5. How is the Dead Child painting finally approved for hanging in the Salon?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)