|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mahoudeau's comment after the sculpture falls apart?
(a) there's plenty of time to start over.
(b) I didn't like it anyway.
(c) this is what poverty gets you.
(d) God must be telling me something.
2. Which friends of Claude's show up at the funeral?
(a) all his old friends.
(b) only Sandoz and Bongrand.
(c) fifty relatives from Plassans.
(d) no one.
3. Again under the spell of Paris, what does Claude do?
(a) stays as far away from Jacques as possible.
(b) makes sketches and plans work that never gets started.
(c) talks a lot about his current work.
(d) paints night and day on his new masterpiece.
4. Who lives directly across from Fagerolles's small but well appointed mansion?
(a) Pierre and Henriette.
(c) Irma Bécot.
5. Why does Sandoz stay away from Claude for a time?
(a) he is grieving for his dead mother.
(b) he and Henriette are having problems.
(c) he is giving Claude the cold shoulder.
(d) his novels are not selling now.
6. What does Sandoz tray to talk Claude out of doing?
(a) giving no time to Jacques.
(b) working too many long hours.
(c) placing a nude woman in his painting.
(d) sending any more paintings to the Salon.
7. How is the Dead Child painting finally approved for hanging in the Salon?
(a) it is approved by mistake.
(b) Bongrand demands it.
(c) it is considered a real masterpiece at last.
(d) Fagerolles uses his "charity" vote.
8. After the Salon, how does Claude behave?
(a) he puts on a façade of not caring.
(b) he happily shows himself in public.
(c) he refuses to see anyone.
(d) he throws himself back into his large painting.
9. What idea does Sandoz have that he thinks might change things for Claude?
(a) taking Claude on a trip to Italy.
(b) having another Thursday evening dinner at his house.
(c) throwing a surprise party for Claude and Christine.
(d) writing a novel about a painter like Claude.
10. When Christine awakes to find Claude gone, where does she find him?
(a) hanging from the ladder in front of his painting.
(b) dressing to go out into the cold.
(c) sitting by the fire drinking wine.
(d) lying in Jacques's small bed.
11. What is Claude's mistaken idea about Chaîne?
(a) that he has not changed.
(b) that he is proud of his work.
(c) that he is rich.
(d) that he is happy.
12. After the party at Sandoz's house, what does Christine do when Claude orders her to return home?
(a) she follows Claude to Irma's house.
(b) she follows Claude to the top of a tall building.
(c) she follows Claude to where he stands on a bridge.
(d) she follows Claude to just outside the Beaux-Arts.
13. How does Ganière drift away from the group of former art revolutionaries?
(a) by marrying his old maid music teacher.
(b) by spending all his time at concerts.
(c) by practicing the piano many hours a day.
(d) by returning to the classics.
14. When they find her, where is Christine?
(a) lying half dead on the floor.
(b) headed for the train station.
(c) posing nude for Claude's painting.
(d) holding Claude's head in her lap.
15. How is Claude when he and Sandoz return to Paris and go to a restaurant?
(a) he talks about quitting painting and starting to write.
(b) he is happy and resolved to return to his large canvas.
(c) he is agitated and angry at how the country has changed.
(d) he is withdrawn and silent during dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. For a while, how does Claude make a fairly good living?
2. Who generally shows up on varnishing day?
3. What is the site that arouses Claude's enthusiasm after failing again to be included in the Salon?
4. What happens on the wedding night?
5. Why has Dubuche been exiled to his father-in-law's home in the country?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)