|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Christine suggests they go away somewhere to be happy, what is Claude's reply?
(a) hat he does not want to be happy, he only wants to paint.
(b) that she sounds just like Sandoz.
(c) that he can only be happy in his studio.
(d) that he will think about it.
2. Who lives directly across from Fagerolles's small but well appointed mansion?
(b) Pierre and Henriette.
(d) Irma Bécot.
3. What does Sandoz think might be better for true artists?
(a) to develop a following in England.
(b) to keep all their works until their death.
(c) to live and die an unknown.
(d) to live in Italy instead of France.
4. What is Mahoudeau's comment after the sculpture falls apart?
(a) there's plenty of time to start over.
(b) I didn't like it anyway.
(c) God must be telling me something.
(d) this is what poverty gets you.
5. Why does Mahoudeau's sculpture fall over?
(a) as the room warms, the clay carving melts.
(b) Chaîne smashes it out of jealousy over Mathilde.
(c) Claude accidentally bumps into it.
(d) an earthquake shakes his studio.
6. What happens on the wedding night?
(a) Christine goes to bed alone and Claude sketches.
(b) It is like old times in the country.
(c) Claude is unable to make love to Christine.
(d) Jacques gets sick and Christine has to stay with him.
7. What do Sandoz and Bongrand have to say about Claude's early works of art?
(a) they agree they were extraordinary pieces.
(b) they agree that they will go up in value.
(c) they agree that they led him in the wrong direction.
(d) they agree that they had only promise of greatness.
8. How does Irma Bécot get her revenge on Claude?
(a) by spreading gossip about him.
(b) by seducing him in her new mansion.
(c) by seducing Christine.
(d) by buying his painting and burning it.
9. Who takes charge of the funeral and getting Christine to the hospital?
10. What time does Claude return to his studio home?
(a) about dawn.
(b) a week later.
(c) about three in the morning.
(d) the next day.
11. After the Salon, how does Claude behave?
(a) he puts on a façade of not caring.
(b) he happily shows himself in public.
(c) he throws himself back into his large painting.
(d) he refuses to see anyone.
12. How does Christine confront Claude about the nude woman in his painting?
(a) she says that woman is her rival for his affections.
(b) she says that woman is a curse on him.
(c) she says that woman is really her and he should come to her.
(d) she says that woman is a trollop seducing him.
13. After the party at Sandoz's house, what does Christine do when Claude orders her to return home?
(a) she follows Claude to the top of a tall building.
(b) she follows Claude to Irma's house.
(c) she follows Claude to just outside the Beaux-Arts.
(d) she follows Claude to where he stands on a bridge.
14. What is the subject of Claude's snow scene?
(a) two children building a snowman.
(b) two ragged urchins eating stolen apples.
(c) snow on the tops of Paris buildings.
(d) a fine carriage drawn by two white horses.
15. What does Sandoz point out to Claude?
(a) that the critics are all looking at his painting.
(b) the many paintings using his open air style.
(c) that the Dead Child is the only original thing hanging.
(d) that no one is laughing at him now.
Short Answer Questions
1. What distresses Christine when Claude returns home from the Salon?
2. Why does Claude do a smaller version of his large painting?
3. When he submits the snow scene to the Beaux-Arts Salon, what happens?
4. What purchases does Claude make to get started with his painting?
5. What is the site that arouses Claude's enthusiasm after failing again to be included in the Salon?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)