|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Christine began to feel about her relationship with Claude?
(a) that she made a mistake falling in love with Claude.
(b) that she is playing second fiddle to a painting.
(c) that she has grown tired and ugly.
(d) that she knows how to get him back.
2. What does Claude seem to taunt Christine about from gossip he has heard?
(a) that a man was coming to the studio when Claude was away.
(b) that she was too stupid to find a job.
(c) that Mme. Vandaze died and left fortunes to her servants.
(d) that God cursed her with an unnatural child.
3. Which friends of Claude's show up at the funeral?
(a) fifty relatives from Plassans.
(b) all his old friends.
(c) no one.
(d) only Sandoz and Bongrand.
4. Why does Mahoudeau's sculpture fall over?
(a) Claude accidentally bumps into it.
(b) Chaîne smashes it out of jealousy over Mathilde.
(c) as the room warms, the clay carving melts.
(d) an earthquake shakes his studio.
5. Why do Sandoz and Claude not go into the Café Baudequin that night?
(a) the place has gone out of business.
(b) they see Fagerolles and Naudet there.
(c) they see Ganière in there alone.
(d) they see Ganière there with Irma.
6. Why has Dubuche been exiled to his father-in-law's home in the country?
(a) it became clear that he really has no talent for architecture.
(b) he was never successful and now cares for his wife and sickly children.
(c) one of his designs became a laughing stock in Paris.
(d) the pressure of building houses caused him to have a breakdown.
7. What time does Claude return to his studio home?
(a) the next day.
(b) a week later.
(c) about three in the morning.
(d) about dawn.
8. Who lives directly across from Fagerolles's small but well appointed mansion?
(b) Pierre and Henriette.
(c) Irma Bécot.
9. Why are Sandoz and Claude depressed after visiting Dubuche in the country?
(a) he has become a snobbish art dealer.
(b) he has been reduced to a disrespected care giver.
(c) he has gone into politics in the provinces.
(d) he has become so important that he has no time for them.
10. What is the site that arouses Claude's enthusiasm after failing again to be included in the Salon?
(a) the Ile de la Cité.
(b) ice on the Seine.
(c) Cathedral Notre Dame.
(d) the Eiffel Tower.
11. How does Christine begin to resent Jacques?
(a) wishing he would go away.
(b) being irritated with his demands.
(c) hating to part with the extra money for his upkeep.
(d) blaming him for the loss of her virgin body.
12. What does Sandoz tray to talk Claude out of doing?
(a) giving no time to Jacques.
(b) working too many long hours.
(c) placing a nude woman in his painting.
(d) sending any more paintings to the Salon.
13. How do Claude's friends react to his latest painting?
(a) they think it is too small for a work by Claude.
(b) they look at it but do not comment.
(c) they hail it as a masterpiece.
(d) they want him to offer it to Naudet.
14. After finally getting Claude back in bed, what happens in Claude's head?
(a) he plots how to get rid of Christine.
(b) he has a stroke and becomes paralyzed.
(c) he hears the woman in his painting calling him.
(d) he hears the laughter of the people in the Salon.
15. What does Claude blame Christine for when his painting does not come out the way he wants?
(a) that she is no longer a good model.
(b) that she makes too much noise in the studio.
(c) that she cannot keep Jacques away.
(d) that she keeps changing her position while posing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Christine under so much nervous tension after they get back to Paris?
2. How does Irma Bécot get her revenge on Claude?
3. What is Claude's mistaken idea about Chaîne?
4. Why does Claude at first not find his painting of the Dead Child?
5. When Christine awakes to find Claude gone, where does she find him?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)