|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of Claude's snow scene?
(a) two children building a snowman.
(b) two ragged urchins eating stolen apples.
(c) a fine carriage drawn by two white horses.
(d) snow on the tops of Paris buildings.
2. After the Salon, how does Claude behave?
(a) he refuses to see anyone.
(b) he puts on a façade of not caring.
(c) he happily shows himself in public.
(d) he throws himself back into his large painting.
3. Why does Mahoudeau's sculpture fall over?
(a) Chaîne smashes it out of jealousy over Mathilde.
(b) an earthquake shakes his studio.
(c) Claude accidentally bumps into it.
(d) as the room warms, the clay carving melts.
4. What is Claude's mistaken idea about Chaîne?
(a) that he is proud of his work.
(b) that he has not changed.
(c) that he is happy.
(d) that he is rich.
5. When Sandoz comes to take Claude away from the studio, who do they find as a barker at a carnival?
6. Which friends of Claude's show up at the funeral?
(a) only Sandoz and Bongrand.
(b) fifty relatives from Plassans.
(c) all his old friends.
(d) no one.
7. When he submits the snow scene to the Beaux-Arts Salon, what happens?
(a) it is rejected.
(b) it is damaged and returned to him.
(c) it is disqualified because of its size.
(d) it is highly praised.
8. How does Christine confront Claude about the nude woman in his painting?
(a) she says that woman is really her and he should come to her.
(b) she says that woman is her rival for his affections.
(c) she says that woman is a trollop seducing him.
(d) she says that woman is a curse on him.
9. Why has Dubuche been exiled to his father-in-law's home in the country?
(a) it became clear that he really has no talent for architecture.
(b) the pressure of building houses caused him to have a breakdown.
(c) he was never successful and now cares for his wife and sickly children.
(d) one of his designs became a laughing stock in Paris.
10. After finally getting Claude back in bed, what happens in Claude's head?
(a) he hears the laughter of the people in the Salon.
(b) he hears the woman in his painting calling him.
(c) he has a stroke and becomes paralyzed.
(d) he plots how to get rid of Christine.
11. What happens on the wedding night?
(a) Christine goes to bed alone and Claude sketches.
(b) Claude is unable to make love to Christine.
(c) It is like old times in the country.
(d) Jacques gets sick and Christine has to stay with him.
12. How is the Dead Child painting finally approved for hanging in the Salon?
(a) it is considered a real masterpiece at last.
(b) Bongrand demands it.
(c) it is approved by mistake.
(d) Fagerolles uses his "charity" vote.
13. What tragedy strikes the Lantier household one night?
(a) Jacques dies alone in his bed.
(b) Claude falls from his scaffolding.
(c) Christine has a miscarriage.
(d) the studio catches on fire.
14. What does Sandoz tray to talk Claude out of doing?
(a) placing a nude woman in his painting.
(b) working too many long hours.
(c) giving no time to Jacques.
(d) sending any more paintings to the Salon.
15. After the party at Sandoz's house, what does Christine do when Claude orders her to return home?
(a) she follows Claude to where he stands on a bridge.
(b) she follows Claude to just outside the Beaux-Arts.
(c) she follows Claude to Irma's house.
(d) she follows Claude to the top of a tall building.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sandoz and Bongrand have to say about Claude's early works of art?
2. Why are Sandoz and Claude depressed after visiting Dubuche in the country?
3. Why is Christine afraid when she wakes to find Claude not in the bed with her?
4. What distresses Christine when Claude returns home from the Salon?
5. When they find her, where is Christine?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)