|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time does Claude return to his studio home?
(a) a week later.
(b) the next day.
(c) about dawn.
(d) about three in the morning.
2. When they find her, where is Christine?
(a) headed for the train station.
(b) lying half dead on the floor.
(c) holding Claude's head in her lap.
(d) posing nude for Claude's painting.
3. Why does Claude do a smaller version of his large painting?
(a) to practice his new brush strokes.
(b) to check his colors.
(c) to submit to the Salon.
(d) to show Bongrand.
4. For a while, how does Claude make a fairly good living?
(a) copying the old masters.
(b) painting flower still lifes for British tourists.
(c) painting portraits of children.
(d) doing sketches for a newspaper.
5. How does Ganière drift away from the group of former art revolutionaries?
(a) by marrying his old maid music teacher.
(b) by practicing the piano many hours a day.
(c) by returning to the classics.
(d) by spending all his time at concerts.
6. How is the Dead Child painting finally approved for hanging in the Salon?
(a) it is approved by mistake.
(b) Fagerolles uses his "charity" vote.
(c) it is considered a real masterpiece at last.
(d) Bongrand demands it.
7. What breaks the solemn reverie of Sandoz and Bongrand at the cemetery?
(a) the sound of a passing train.
(b) the lamenting of a funeral nearby.
(c) a sudden rainstorm.
(d) a parade passing by.
8. What distresses Christine when Claude returns home from the Salon?
(a) his refusal to take her to the Salon.
(b) his attempt to destroy his large unfinished canvas.
(c) his strange and cold manner.
(d) his unusually happy manner.
9. What is the wedding ceremony for Claude and Christine like?
(a) rushed and without emotion.
(b) quick and exciting.
(c) elaborate and joyful.
(d) plain but meaningful.
10. After the Salon, how does Claude behave?
(a) he puts on a façade of not caring.
(b) he refuses to see anyone.
(c) he happily shows himself in public.
(d) he throws himself back into his large painting.
11. Why is Christine under so much nervous tension after they get back to Paris?
(a) too many people come to visit.
(b) Claude seldom comes home.
(c) she thinks she might be pregnant again.
(d) the studio is small and Jacques is often in the way.
12. Why is Sandoz being successful as a novelist?
(a) he refuses to change his ideas about modern writing.
(b) he is no longer controversial.
(c) he uses Claude's art on the cover of his books.
(d) he has started turning out traditional prose.
13. What is the irony of Sandoz's new house?
(a) it is large and ostentacious.
(b) it is in the same area as Irma's and Fagerolles's houses.
(c) it has become a shrine to his late mother.
(d) it is an eclectic and old fashioned abode for a very modern writer.
14. Which friends of Claude's show up at the funeral?
(a) all his old friends.
(b) only Sandoz and Bongrand.
(c) fifty relatives from Plassans.
(d) no one.
15. When Christine suggests they go away somewhere to be happy, what is Claude's reply?
(a) that he can only be happy in his studio.
(b) that he will think about it.
(c) that she sounds just like Sandoz.
(d) hat he does not want to be happy, he only wants to paint.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Claude at first not find his painting of the Dead Child?
2. What are the Salon committee's reactions to Claude's Dead Child painting?
3. Who lives directly across from Fagerolles's small but well appointed mansion?
4. After the party at Sandoz's house, what does Christine do when Claude orders her to return home?
5. Who takes charge of the funeral and getting Christine to the hospital?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)