|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Claude when he and Sandoz return to Paris and go to a restaurant?
(a) he is agitated and angry at how the country has changed.
(b) he is happy and resolved to return to his large canvas.
(c) he is withdrawn and silent during dinner.
(d) he talks about quitting painting and starting to write.
2. What is it that Claude does not know while he waits to see if the Dead Child will be included in the Salon?
(a) how Bongand exerted his influence on the committee.
(b) how the new committe has changed its ideas.
(c) what Fagerolles does to get it included.
(d) how popular he has suddenly become.
3. How does Irma Bécot get her revenge on Claude?
(a) by seducing him in her new mansion.
(b) by spreading gossip about him.
(c) by buying his painting and burning it.
(d) by seducing Christine.
4. How does Christine confront Claude about the nude woman in his painting?
(a) she says that woman is a trollop seducing him.
(b) she says that woman is a curse on him.
(c) she says that woman is really her and he should come to her.
(d) she says that woman is her rival for his affections.
5. What breaks the solemn reverie of Sandoz and Bongrand at the cemetery?
(a) the sound of a passing train.
(b) the lamenting of a funeral nearby.
(c) a sudden rainstorm.
(d) a parade passing by.
6. What does Claude seem to taunt Christine about from gossip he has heard?
(a) that a man was coming to the studio when Claude was away.
(b) that she was too stupid to find a job.
(c) that God cursed her with an unnatural child.
(d) that Mme. Vandaze died and left fortunes to her servants.
7. What is the wedding ceremony for Claude and Christine like?
(a) elaborate and joyful.
(b) plain but meaningful.
(c) quick and exciting.
(d) rushed and without emotion.
8. Whose painting called The Lunch Party is a slick, commercial imitation of Claude's open air style?
9. After the Salon, how does Claude behave?
(a) he puts on a façade of not caring.
(b) he happily shows himself in public.
(c) he refuses to see anyone.
(d) he throws himself back into his large painting.
10. How is the Dead Child painting finally approved for hanging in the Salon?
(a) it is considered a real masterpiece at last.
(b) it is approved by mistake.
(c) Fagerolles uses his "charity" vote.
(d) Bongrand demands it.
11. Which friends of Claude's show up at the funeral?
(a) no one.
(b) fifty relatives from Plassans.
(c) all his old friends.
(d) only Sandoz and Bongrand.
12. After finally getting Claude back in bed, what happens in Claude's head?
(a) he hears the laughter of the people in the Salon.
(b) he plots how to get rid of Christine.
(c) he hears the woman in his painting calling him.
(d) he has a stroke and becomes paralyzed.
13. What time does Claude return to his studio home?
(a) about three in the morning.
(b) a week later.
(c) the next day.
(d) about dawn.
14. Why does Claude think his painting of the dead Jacques may be accepted by the Salon committee?
(a) Fagerolles promises to get it accepted.
(b) he submits it under an assumed name.
(c) Bongrand is now head of the committee.
(d) this painting is more like the classics.
15. What does Sandoz tray to talk Claude out of doing?
(a) placing a nude woman in his painting.
(b) working too many long hours.
(c) giving no time to Jacques.
(d) sending any more paintings to the Salon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mahoudeau's comment after the sculpture falls apart?
2. Why is Christine afraid when she wakes to find Claude not in the bed with her?
3. What is the site that arouses Claude's enthusiasm after failing again to be included in the Salon?
4. What idea does Sandoz have that he thinks might change things for Claude?
5. Again under the spell of Paris, what does Claude do?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)