|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he submits the snow scene to the Beaux-Arts Salon, what happens?
(a) it is rejected.
(b) it is highly praised.
(c) it is damaged and returned to him.
(d) it is disqualified because of its size.
2. How is Claude when he and Sandoz return to Paris and go to a restaurant?
(a) he is happy and resolved to return to his large canvas.
(b) he is agitated and angry at how the country has changed.
(c) he is withdrawn and silent during dinner.
(d) he talks about quitting painting and starting to write.
3. When Christine suggests they go away somewhere to be happy, what is Claude's reply?
(a) that he will think about it.
(b) hat he does not want to be happy, he only wants to paint.
(c) that she sounds just like Sandoz.
(d) that he can only be happy in his studio.
4. What are the Salon committee's reactions to Claude's Dead Child painting?
(a) shock or amusement.
(b) excited or indifferent.
(c) positive or skeptical.
(d) disgust or pity.
5. How does Christine begin to resent Jacques?
(a) being irritated with his demands.
(b) blaming him for the loss of her virgin body.
(c) wishing he would go away.
(d) hating to part with the extra money for his upkeep.
6. What is the wedding ceremony for Claude and Christine like?
(a) plain but meaningful.
(b) rushed and without emotion.
(c) quick and exciting.
(d) elaborate and joyful.
7. How is the Dead Child painting finally approved for hanging in the Salon?
(a) it is considered a real masterpiece at last.
(b) it is approved by mistake.
(c) Fagerolles uses his "charity" vote.
(d) Bongrand demands it.
8. Why does Claude think his painting of the dead Jacques may be accepted by the Salon committee?
(a) he submits it under an assumed name.
(b) Bongrand is now head of the committee.
(c) Fagerolles promises to get it accepted.
(d) this painting is more like the classics.
9. What does Sandoz point out to Claude?
(a) that no one is laughing at him now.
(b) that the critics are all looking at his painting.
(c) that the Dead Child is the only original thing hanging.
(d) the many paintings using his open air style.
10. What purchases does Claude make to get started with his painting?
(a) new paints and brushes.
(b) new lights and a heater for the studio.
(c) a large frame and seamless canvas.
(d) large paper and new pencils to make his sketches.
11. Why is Sandoz being successful as a novelist?
(a) he has started turning out traditional prose.
(b) he is no longer controversial.
(c) he refuses to change his ideas about modern writing.
(d) he uses Claude's art on the cover of his books.
12. When Christine opens the door of the bedroom, what is Claude doing?
(a) he is drinking cognac and weeping.
(b) he is furiously painting his vision of the Ile de la Cité.
(c) he is ripping up his large canvas.
(d) he is scraping off the paint on his large canvas.
13. When they find her, where is Christine?
(a) holding Claude's head in her lap.
(b) lying half dead on the floor.
(c) headed for the train station.
(d) posing nude for Claude's painting.
14. How does Christine began to feel about her relationship with Claude?
(a) that she knows how to get him back.
(b) that she is playing second fiddle to a painting.
(c) that she has grown tired and ugly.
(d) that she made a mistake falling in love with Claude.
15. Who takes charge of the funeral and getting Christine to the hospital?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mahoudeau's comment after the sculpture falls apart?
2. What is the irony of Sandoz's new house?
3. Who lives directly across from Fagerolles's small but well appointed mansion?
4. What does Sandoz tray to talk Claude out of doing?
5. Why does Sandoz stay away from Claude for a time?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)