|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Claude's mistaken idea about Chaîne?
(a) that he has not changed.
(b) that he is happy.
(c) that he is rich.
(d) that he is proud of his work.
2. What painting is almost rejected before it is discovered to be one by a famous artist?
(a) a painting of a nude lady under a tree.
(b) a painting of blue poplars.
(c) a painting of people having a picnic outdoors.
(d) a painting of a nude man and a clothed woman.
3. Who generally shows up on varnishing day?
(a) only the Paris art critics.
(b) the elite of Paris society.
(c) the artists whose works are included.
(d) the riff-raff of Paris.
4. What is the wedding ceremony for Claude and Christine like?
(a) rushed and without emotion.
(b) quick and exciting.
(c) plain but meaningful.
(d) elaborate and joyful.
5. What is it that Claude does not know while he waits to see if the Dead Child will be included in the Salon?
(a) how Bongand exerted his influence on the committee.
(b) how the new committe has changed its ideas.
(c) how popular he has suddenly become.
(d) what Fagerolles does to get it included.
6. When they find her, where is Christine?
(a) lying half dead on the floor.
(b) posing nude for Claude's painting.
(c) headed for the train station.
(d) holding Claude's head in her lap.
7. Why does Claude think his painting of the dead Jacques may be accepted by the Salon committee?
(a) he submits it under an assumed name.
(b) this painting is more like the classics.
(c) Fagerolles promises to get it accepted.
(d) Bongrand is now head of the committee.
8. What idea does Sandoz have that he thinks might change things for Claude?
(a) having another Thursday evening dinner at his house.
(b) throwing a surprise party for Claude and Christine.
(c) writing a novel about a painter like Claude.
(d) taking Claude on a trip to Italy.
9. How does Christine begin to resent Jacques?
(a) being irritated with his demands.
(b) wishing he would go away.
(c) hating to part with the extra money for his upkeep.
(d) blaming him for the loss of her virgin body.
10. What tragedy strikes the Lantier household one night?
(a) Claude falls from his scaffolding.
(b) Jacques dies alone in his bed.
(c) the studio catches on fire.
(d) Christine has a miscarriage.
11. What do Sandoz and Bongrand have to say about Claude's early works of art?
(a) they agree that they led him in the wrong direction.
(b) they agree they were extraordinary pieces.
(c) they agree that they will go up in value.
(d) they agree that they had only promise of greatness.
12. Why does Mahoudeau's sculpture fall over?
(a) Chaîne smashes it out of jealousy over Mathilde.
(b) Claude accidentally bumps into it.
(c) an earthquake shakes his studio.
(d) as the room warms, the clay carving melts.
13. When Sandoz comes to take Claude away from the studio, who do they find as a barker at a carnival?
14. What does Claude blame Christine for when his painting does not come out the way he wants?
(a) that she keeps changing her position while posing.
(b) that she makes too much noise in the studio.
(c) that she cannot keep Jacques away.
(d) that she is no longer a good model.
15. What is the subject of Claude's snow scene?
(a) snow on the tops of Paris buildings.
(b) two ragged urchins eating stolen apples.
(c) two children building a snowman.
(d) a fine carriage drawn by two white horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Dubuche been exiled to his father-in-law's home in the country?
2. What distresses Christine when Claude returns home from the Salon?
3. Why is Sandoz being successful as a novelist?
4. How is the Dead Child painting finally approved for hanging in the Salon?
5. When Christine awakes to find Claude gone, where does she find him?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)