|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the journalist who drops in while Pierre and Claude are visiting Mahoudeau and Chaîne?
2. What is it about Claude's use of colors that Christine has difficulty understanding?
(a) blue in the poplar trees and mauve in the ground.
(b) people with purple skin.
(c) red bananas and yellow apples.
(d) yellow skies and pink clouds.
3. Why does Claude go into one of his rages after Christine leaves?
(a) because of the effect she had on him.
(b) because he lost the early morning light to paint by.
(c) because he cannot find anything she had put away.
(d) because he had not taken advantage of her.
4. What self imposed time limit has Claude put on finishing his painting called Open Air?
(a) six weeks.
(b) one year.
(c) nine months.
(d) six months.
5. Beside the clothed man and the naked women, what are the people criticizing?
(a) his heavy brush strokes.
(b) his oddly shaped trees.
(c) his savage color combinations.
(d) his use of the color blue to indicate daylight.
6. How does Claude often see himself artistically?
(a) as impotent.
(b) as ahead of his time.
(c) as needing more study.
(d) as the greatest living artist.
7. What is Pierre Sandoz doing for Claude?
(a) advising him on how to paint.
(b) paying his rent on the studio.
(c) bringing him food when he is broke.
(d) posing for the man in his painting.
8. Besides Jory, who else is vying for the attention of Mathilde?
(a) Chaîne and Mahoudeau.
(b) Ganière and Dubuche.
(c) Pierre and Dubuche.
(d) Bongrand and Hugo.
9. Ready to leave, what does the young woman do?
(a) she asks Claude for money.
(b) she begs Claude to escort her to the train station.
(c) she offers to cook breakfast.
(d) she attempts to clean up the studio.
10. What is Claude thinking about as he walks home late at night?
(a) his friends he hasn't seen lately.
(b) his unfinished canvas in his studio.
(c) how he is going to pay his rent.
(d) a woman he met walking in the rain.
11. What are the paintings that repulse Christine in Claude's studio?
(a) the scary themes.
(b) the nude women.
(c) the distorted faces.
(d) the nude men.
12. What do Sandoz and Dubuche see in Claude's studio that captures their attention?
(a) small paintings of the Cathedral of Notre Dame.
(b) Claude's sketches of Christine.
(c) left over croissants from his breakfast.
(d) a letter from the Salon committee.
13. Although Naudet can spot a good deal, how does Claude see him?
(a) as a brilliant critic of good art.
(b) as a leech in the world of art.
(c) as an opportunist who cares little about artists.
(d) as a man who is completely indifferent to good painting.
14. What does the young woman think about the art she sees in the studio?
(a) she thinks it is beautiful.
(b) she thinks it is violent.
(c) she thinks it is childish.
(d) she thinks it is romantic.
15. What causes Claude and Pierre to nudge each other in front of the Herbal Shop?
(a) their friend, Mahoudeau, coming out of the shop.
(b) the smell coming from the shop.
(c) the thin and dark woman staring at them from the shop.
(d) the ugly sculpture of a starving child.
Short Answer Questions
1. In spite of opposition, how does Sandoz continue to write?
2. Now that Sandoz is married, what role does his wife, Henriette, play in the household?
3. What is the condition of the clothes the young artists wear?
4. What does an old man in the woods offer Claude and Christine?
5. Who now has a mansion near Claude's and Christine's cottage?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)