|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the ugly family walking along with Dubuche?
(a) the family of Mathilde.
(b) the family of Dubuche's landlord.
(c) the family of Margaillan, a self-made millionaire.
(d) the family of Duquersonnièr.
2. What causes Claude and Pierre to nudge each other in front of the Herbal Shop?
(a) the smell coming from the shop.
(b) their friend, Mahoudeau, coming out of the shop.
(c) the thin and dark woman staring at them from the shop.
(d) the ugly sculpture of a starving child.
3. What do Sandoz and Dubuche see in Claude's studio that captures their attention?
(a) a letter from the Salon committee.
(b) Claude's sketches of Christine.
(c) small paintings of the Cathedral of Notre Dame.
(d) left over croissants from his breakfast.
4. When was the beginnings of the Bohemian lifestyle of Claude and Pierre?
(a) after they met Delacroix.
(b) during their school days.
(c) when they moved to Paris.
(d) after they were rejected by the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts.
5. What does Bongrand have to say about Fagerolles's painting?
(a) it is little more than a photograph.
(b) it is a shameless copy of Claude's work.
(c) it is fit only for a French postcard.
(d) it is pandering to the masses.
6. Where does Irma say Fagerolles and Jory grew out of?
(a) the same gap in the pavement.
(b) the same cabbage patch.
(c) the same mansion in the country.
(d) the same school of ambitious thought.
7. Who has come to the Salon with Ganière?
(c) Irma Bécot.
8. Returning to Paris, what does Christine want to do?
(a) find a priest and get married.
(b) break off her relationship with Claude.
(c) resign her position and stay with Claude.
(d) get Claude to paint fans for tourists.
9. Although frequently inspired by what he sees in the country, how does Claude react?
(a) he lost his confidence after the Salon.
(b) he complains that he has no canvases.
(c) he starts paintings but never finishes them.
(d) he procrastinates, although Christine urges him to paint.
10. How does Claude react to Jory's comments about his painting?
(a) he is overjoyed.
(b) he is insulted.
(c) he is confused.
(d) he is aghast.
11. As the novel opens, what is the condition of the weather?
(a) a rainstorm.
(b) a clear, starry night.
(c) a snow storm.
(d) a dust storm.
12. What problem do Sandoz and Dubuche have with Claude's Open Air painting?
(a) the fact that the man is only seen from the back.
(b) the drabness of the color.
(c) the clothed man with nude women.
(d) the idea of nude women in the park.
13. What happens when the young woman wakes up?
(a) she begins to cry.
(b) she quickly covers herself.
(c) she asks him to pay her for modelling.
(d) she slaps Claude's face.
14. Besides Jory, who else is vying for the attention of Mathilde?
(a) Bongrand and Hugo.
(b) Chaîne and Mahoudeau.
(c) Pierre and Dubuche.
(d) Ganière and Dubuche.
15. What strange commission does Claude get from Malgras?
(a) a painting of ducks.
(b) a still life painting of a lobster
(c) a small painting of Christine.
(d) a still life painting of books.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Sandoz's novels are selling well, what is happening in literary circles?
2. Because it is Thursday, what event will take place in the evening?
3. Why does Claude start going out alone to paint leaving Christine in the cottage?
4. What do Claude's friends in Paris think is the ideal life for an artist?
5. What is Pierre Sandoz's vocation?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)