|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two agonies does Sandoz mention that Claude is all too familiar with?
(a) fame and poverty.
(b) torment and dispair.
(c) time and money.
(d) criticism and doubt.
2. Where does Claude want to exhibit his painting?
(a) on the sidewalks of Paris.
(b) the Salon at the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts.
(c) the Louvre.
(d) the Luxemburg Museum.
3. Who is Jory looking for when he bumps into Claude?
4. Why does Irma become angry with Claude during a visit to his studio?
(a) he rejects her as a lover.
(b) he rejects her as a patron.
(c) he rejects her as a nude model.
(d) he rejects her as an art critic.
5. How does Claude think Irma has changed?
(a) from a trollop into a lady.
(b) from an innocent girl into a weathered hag.
(c) from a common guttersnipe into a "courtesan by Titian."
(d) from a possible model into a fat disaster.
6. Why has the herbalist's shop seen better days?
(a) the owner ran away from the shop.
(b) the owner has lost interest in the shop.
(c) the owner is dying of consumption.
(d) the owner is trying to sell the shop.
7. What is the condition of the clothes the young artists wear?
(a) stuffily overdone.
(b) down at the heel boots and threadbare jackets.
(c) formal attire even in the daytime.
(d) purely rustic country style clothing.
8. What does an old man in the woods offer Claude and Christine?
(a) a place to wait till the train comes.
(b) some peaches grown in his orchard.
(c) to rent his house in the woods.
(d) to give them a ride to the train.
9. What problem do Sandoz and Dubuche have with Claude's Open Air painting?
(a) the idea of nude women in the park.
(b) the fact that the man is only seen from the back.
(c) the clothed man with nude women.
(d) the drabness of the color.
10. How do the young men of the Open Air movement see themselves?
(a) as lost in a wasteland.
(b) as conquerors of Paris.
(c) as successful artists.
(d) as misunderstood prophets.
11. What is Pierre Sandoz's vocation?
(a) he is a writer aspiring to sell his first novel.
(b) he is a musician composing new music.
(c) he is a mathematician who loves art.
(d) he is a sculptor doing garden gnomes.
12. When does Claude finally break down and admit his hurt and disappointment?
(a) when Bongrand tries to cheer him up.
(b) when he returns home and finds Christine there.
(c) when he is alone with Sandoz.
(d) when a small child begins to laugh at the painting.
13. What does she notice about Claude's Open Air painting?
(a) the nude woman's body looks like hers.
(b) there is no body under the head of a nude woman.
(c) her head has been painted on the body of a nude woman.
(d) there is no head on the body of a nude woman.
14. Realizing the people are laughing at his painting, what is Claude's reaction?
(a) his old insecurities about his talent return.
(b) he does not care about their reactions.
(c) he storms out of the Salon.
(d) he snatches his painting off the wall.
15. What is Chaîne working on while the others visit in Mahoudeau's studio?
(a) cooking a pot of beans.
(b) a wood carving of a squirrel.
(c) a picture of the old stove in the studio.
(d) a portrait of Mathilde.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the boys indulge themselves in during their youth?
2. What does Bongrand have to say about Fagerolles's painting?
3. What ironic switch in attitude occurs when Christine finally agrees to go in public with Claude?
4. How does the young woman want to sleep?
5. What famous artist joins the group at Pierre's house?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)