|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the occupation of Mahoudeau before he came to Paris?
(a) a grocer.
(b) a school teacher.
(c) a stone cutter.
(d) a blacksmith.
2. Who is the art dealer who has made a fortune out of buying pieces and manipulating their prices?
3. What does Claude do the next morning as the young woman sleeps?
(a) he removes the blanket covering her.
(b) he makes sketches of her lying in the bed.
(c) he goes out for croisants.
(d) he wakes her up and sends her away.
4. Beside the clothed man and the naked women, what are the people criticizing?
(a) his use of the color blue to indicate daylight.
(b) his oddly shaped trees.
(c) his heavy brush strokes.
(d) his savage color combinations.
5. Although frequently inspired by what he sees in the country, how does Claude react?
(a) he starts paintings but never finishes them.
(b) he procrastinates, although Christine urges him to paint.
(c) he lost his confidence after the Salon.
(d) he complains that he has no canvases.
6. After renewing his association with Sandoz, what is Claude incessantly talking about?
(a) going to study in Italy.
(b) the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts.
(c) how Mahoudeau and ChaÃ®ne killed off Jabouille.
(d) people in Paris Christine has never known.
7. Who do Claude, Pierre, and Jory find sitting at a table making sketches with drops of beer?
8. What does Claude think about the young woman standing on his doorstep at night?
(a) he thinks she is beautiful.
(b) he thinks she is insane.
(c) he thinks she's a trollop.
(d) he thinks she is looking for work.
9. Who has come to the Salon with Ganière?
(b) Irma Bécot.
10. Although Bongrand now only paints what interests him, why can the Beaux-Arts not overlook him?
(a) because of his reputation for vengeance.
(b) because of his great contributions of money.
(c) because of his earlier masterpiece.
(d) because of his great popularity.
11. To whom does Christine turn to help get Claude out of his depression?
12. Who is Mathilde Jabouille?
(a) a common trollop who loves Mahoudeau.
(b) the fat wife of the skinny herbalist.
(c) a wealthy patron ordering a bust of herself.
(d) the woman Pierre and Claude saw in the herbalist's window.
13. Why does Claude start going out alone to paint leaving Christine in the cottage?
(a) because she keeps questioning his colors.
(b) because he wants to be alone.
(c) because she is pregnant.
(d) because she talks too much.
14. When is the laughter the loudest?
(a) when they reach Marhoudeau's sculpture.
(b) when they reach Claude's picture.
(c) when they reach Bongrand's picture.
(d) when they reach Dubuche's architectural drawing.
15. What reawakens in Claude and Sandoz with their renewed friendship?
(a) their old desire for fame.
(b) their need for nature hikes.
(c) their sense of competition.
(d) their old doubts about their work.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Claude finally break down and admit his hurt and disappointment?
2. Where do Claude and Christine go on a short trip?
3. Why does Sandoz not visit Claude and Christine in the country after August?
4. What does Bongrand do before Claude sees his work hanging in the Salon des Refusés?
5. Why does Christine pack up everything to return to Paris?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)