|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Christine do the morning after she and Claude consummate their love?
(a) she lies to her employer that she has a friend coming to Paris.
(b) she goes to confession.
(c) she returns to Passy and resigns her position.
(d) she sends a letter to her employer that she is ill.
2. What is the subject of Fagerolles's latest painting?
(a) a clown on a highwire.
(b) blue poplars and mauve ground.
(c) an actress looking in the mirror.
(d) a clothed man and a nude woman.
3. Which of Claude's friends do he and Christine see in the street?
(a) Irma and Jory.
(b) Mahoudeau and Mathilde.
(c) Sandoz and Dubuche.
(d) Chaîne and Pierre.
4. What does Sandoz usually have with him when he goes out?
(a) a sack lunch.
(b) a map of Paris.
(c) a book of poetry.
(d) a box of paints.
5. Although Naudet can spot a good deal, how does Claude see him?
(a) as a leech in the world of art.
(b) as a brilliant critic of good art.
(c) as a man who is completely indifferent to good painting.
(d) as an opportunist who cares little about artists.
6. How does Zola paint Claude Lantier's angst?
(a) by his obsession with time.
(b) by his mood swings over his painting.
(c) by his partying when he should be working.
(d) by his desire to protect his paintings.
7. Where does Claude go to find Dubuche, the aspiring architect?
(a) Pierre Sandoz's house.
(b) the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts.
(c) the bistro where they often meet.
(d) DuquersonniÃ¨r's studio.
8. Who now has a mansion near Claude's and Christine's cottage?
(a) Irma Bécot.
(b) the Margaillan family.
(d) Pierre Sandoz.
9. What does the young woman think about the art she sees in the studio?
(a) she thinks it is beautiful.
(b) she thinks it is childish.
(c) she thinks it is violent.
(d) she thinks it is romantic.
10. Although frequently inspired by what he sees in the country, how does Claude react?
(a) he starts paintings but never finishes them.
(b) he procrastinates, although Christine urges him to paint.
(c) he lost his confidence after the Salon.
(d) he complains that he has no canvases.
11. Why does Claude start going out alone to paint leaving Christine in the cottage?
(a) because he wants to be alone.
(b) because she keeps questioning his colors.
(c) because she talks too much.
(d) because she is pregnant.
12. What reawakens in Claude and Sandoz with their renewed friendship?
(a) their sense of competition.
(b) their old desire for fame.
(c) their old doubts about their work.
(d) their need for nature hikes.
13. Why is Claude told not to bring Christine to the Thursday night dinners?
(a) because they are not married.
(b) because they quarrel too much.
(c) because she is too uncouth.
(d) because she needs to be with Jacques.
14. How does the young woman want to sleep?
(a) in her wet clothes sitting up in a chair.
(b) in the bed with Claude.
(c) sitting up wrapped in a blanket.
(d) in her wet clothes on the floor.
15. Who is the friend now enrolled at the Beaux-Arts?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the ugly family walking along with Dubuche?
2. Ready to leave, what does the young woman do?
3. Who is the former shepherd from near Plassans whose patron sent him to Paris?
4. What does she notice about Claude's Open Air painting?
5. Why does Irma become angry with Claude during a visit to his studio?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)