|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Claude's friends do he and Christine see in the street?
(a) Chaîne and Pierre.
(b) Sandoz and Dubuche.
(c) Irma and Jory.
(d) Mahoudeau and Mathilde.
2. What does Claude do the next morning as the young woman sleeps?
(a) he goes out for croisants.
(b) he wakes her up and sends her away.
(c) he makes sketches of her lying in the bed.
(d) he removes the blanket covering her.
3. How does Christine re-enter Claude's life?
(a) she asks him to pay her for modeling.
(b) she drops by with a thank you gift.
(c) she commissions a painting.
(d) they meet accidentally at the Louvre.
4. What do Sandoz and Dubuche see in Claude's studio that captures their attention?
(a) left over croissants from his breakfast.
(b) Claude's sketches of Christine.
(c) small paintings of the Cathedral of Notre Dame.
(d) a letter from the Salon committee.
5. How do the young men of the Open Air movement see themselves?
(a) as conquerors of Paris.
(b) as misunderstood prophets.
(c) as lost in a wasteland.
(d) as successful artists.
6. Who are the late comers for Sandoz's Thursday soiree?
(a) Ganière and Dubuche.
(b) Irma and Christine.
(c) Malgras and Hugo.
(d) Mahoudeau and Chaîne.
7. How does Zola paint Claude Lantier's angst?
(a) by his desire to protect his paintings.
(b) by his mood swings over his painting.
(c) by his partying when he should be working.
(d) by his obsession with time.
8. Rejected for the Prix de Rome, what is Fagerolles now painting?
(b) slick, compromising pictures.
(c) copies of Claude's work.
9. Why does Christine resist sightseeing in Paris with Claude?
(a) she worries she might run into her employer.
(b) she worries she will lose track of time.
(c) she worries he will take her to a hotel.
(d) she still worries about being out with a man.
10. What is it about Claude's use of colors that Christine has difficulty understanding?
(a) red bananas and yellow apples.
(b) people with purple skin.
(c) blue in the poplar trees and mauve in the ground.
(d) yellow skies and pink clouds.
11. Why do they return late to Paris?
(a) they decide to stay over for the night.
(b) they get lost in the woods and miss their train.
(c) they miss their train and have to wait for the next one.
(d) they make love and forget the time.
12. How is Claude received at Duquersonnièr's studio?
(a) by being thrown out of the studio.
(b) with antagonism from the architecture students.
(c) by being ignored because they are all busy.
(d) with joy and lots of pats on the back.
13. While Pierre and Dubuche are in the studio, what does Claude almost do?
(a) commit suicide.
(b) throw them out.
(c) destroy his painting.
(d) declare his painting finished.
14. What is Claude thinking about as he walks home late at night?
(a) his unfinished canvas in his studio.
(b) how he is going to pay his rent.
(c) his friends he hasn't seen lately.
(d) a woman he met walking in the rain.
15. What strange commission does Claude get from Malgras?
(a) a still life painting of a lobster
(b) a still life painting of books.
(c) a painting of ducks.
(d) a small painting of Christine.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Claude think Irma has changed?
2. Why does Claude take the young woman to his studio?
3. Where does Claude go for a cheap lunch?
4. What is Pierre Sandoz's vocation?
5. What does Bongrand do before Claude sees his work hanging in the Salon des Refusés?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)