|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After renewing his association with Sandoz, what is Claude incessantly talking about?
(a) how Mahoudeau and ChaÃ®ne killed off Jabouille.
(b) people in Paris Christine has never known.
(c) going to study in Italy.
(d) the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts.
2. What style of art is preferred by the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts?
3. What does Claude do the next morning as the young woman sleeps?
(a) he goes out for croisants.
(b) he removes the blanket covering her.
(c) he makes sketches of her lying in the bed.
(d) he wakes her up and sends her away.
4. What are the paintings that repulse Christine in Claude's studio?
(a) the scary themes.
(b) the nude men.
(c) the nude women.
(d) the distorted faces.
5. Why does Christine resist sightseeing in Paris with Claude?
(a) she worries he will take her to a hotel.
(b) she still worries about being out with a man.
(c) she worries she might run into her employer.
(d) she worries she will lose track of time.
6. Where does Irma say Fagerolles and Jory grew out of?
(a) the same mansion in the country.
(b) the same cabbage patch.
(c) the same gap in the pavement.
(d) the same school of ambitious thought.
7. What causes Claude and Pierre to nudge each other in front of the Herbal Shop?
(a) the thin and dark woman staring at them from the shop.
(b) the smell coming from the shop.
(c) the ugly sculpture of a starving child.
(d) their friend, Mahoudeau, coming out of the shop.
8. Although frequently inspired by what he sees in the country, how does Claude react?
(a) he complains that he has no canvases.
(b) he starts paintings but never finishes them.
(c) he lost his confidence after the Salon.
(d) he procrastinates, although Christine urges him to paint.
9. How does love win out over practicality?
(a) Christine gets MMe. Vandaze to move to Paris.
(b) Christine never returns to Passy.
(c) Christine murders Mme. Vandaze.
(d) Christine resigns her position and moves in with Claude.
10. Realizing the people are laughing at his painting, what is Claude's reaction?
(a) he does not care about their reactions.
(b) he storms out of the Salon.
(c) he snatches his painting off the wall.
(d) his old insecurities about his talent return.
11. What does Claude think about the young woman standing on his doorstep at night?
(a) he thinks she is insane.
(b) he thinks she is looking for work.
(c) he thinks she is beautiful.
(d) he thinks she's a trollop.
12. Why is Claude told not to bring Christine to the Thursday night dinners?
(a) because they quarrel too much.
(b) because they are not married.
(c) because she needs to be with Jacques.
(d) because she is too uncouth.
13. What did the boys indulge themselves in during their youth?
(a) planning how to run away from their village.
(b) discussing philosophy with their teacher.
(c) playing pranks on the girls in their school.
(d) long nature hikes and swimming naked in the river.
14. How does the young woman want to sleep?
(a) in her wet clothes on the floor.
(b) sitting up wrapped in a blanket.
(c) in the bed with Claude.
(d) in her wet clothes sitting up in a chair.
15. Who does Jory insist that Claude go with him to see?
(b) Irma Bécot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bongrand have to say about Fagerolles's painting?
2. Who now has a mansion near Claude's and Christine's cottage?
3. What problem do Sandoz and Dubuche have with Claude's Open Air painting?
4. What is Pierre Sandoz's vocation?
5. Where does Claude go to find Dubuche, the aspiring architect?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)