Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does she notice about Claude's Open Air painting?
(a) the nude woman's body looks like hers.
(b) there is no head on the body of a nude woman.
(c) there is no body under the head of a nude woman.
(d) her head has been painted on the body of a nude woman.
2. Ready to leave, what does the young woman do?
(a) she attempts to clean up the studio.
(b) she offers to cook breakfast.
(c) she begs Claude to escort her to the train station.
(d) she asks Claude for money.
3. Where does Claude want to exhibit his painting?
(a) on the sidewalks of Paris.
(b) the Louvre.
(c) the Salon at the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts.
(d) the Luxemburg Museum.
4. Rejected for the Prix de Rome, what is Fagerolles now painting?
(a) slick, compromising pictures.
(b) copies of Claude's work.
5. What ironic switch in attitude occurs when Christine finally agrees to go in public with Claude?
(a) now he worries they will run into his friends.
(b) now he worries that they will run into her employer.
(c) now he worries that he has no money.
(d) now he worries that they will run into Irma.
6. What convinces Claude he still has a vestige of romanticism in his veins?
(a) his desire to paint for tourists.
(b) his love of romantic literature.
(c) his desire to see Christine again.
(d) his interest in a quaint Paris street.
7. Why does Irma become angry with Claude during a visit to his studio?
(a) he rejects her as a lover.
(b) he rejects her as a nude model.
(c) he rejects her as a patron.
(d) he rejects her as an art critic.
8. What style of art is preferred by the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts?
9. Where does Irma say Fagerolles and Jory grew out of?
(a) the same gap in the pavement.
(b) the same school of ambitious thought.
(c) the same cabbage patch.
(d) the same mansion in the country.
10. What is Bongrand's lament about art dealers?
(a) that artists get no credit for their work.
(b) that art has become important to the rich.
(c) that artists have no chance to improve.
(d) that art is fought over by bank notes.
11. What are the paintings that repulse Christine in Claude's studio?
(a) the scary themes.
(b) the nude men.
(c) the distorted faces.
(d) the nude women.
12. How is Claude received at Duquersonnièr's studio?
(a) by being ignored because they are all busy.
(b) with antagonism from the architecture students.
(c) by being thrown out of the studio.
(d) with joy and lots of pats on the back.
13. What does the young woman think about the art she sees in the studio?
(a) she thinks it is violent.
(b) she thinks it is beautiful.
(c) she thinks it is childish.
(d) she thinks it is romantic.
14. Why does Claude start going out alone to paint leaving Christine in the cottage?
(a) because he wants to be alone.
(b) because she is pregnant.
(c) because she talks too much.
(d) because she keeps questioning his colors.
15. What does Claude think about the young woman standing on his doorstep at night?
(a) he thinks she is beautiful.
(b) he thinks she's a trollop.
(c) he thinks she is insane.
(d) he thinks she is looking for work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Sandoz's novels are selling well, what is happening in literary circles?
2. Who is the former shepherd from near Plassans whose patron sent him to Paris?
3. How does Claude behave around Christine?
4. Although frequently inspired by what he sees in the country, how does Claude react?
5. Why do they return late to Paris?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)