|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Zola paint Claude Lantier's angst?
(a) by his desire to protect his paintings.
(b) by his partying when he should be working.
(c) by his mood swings over his painting.
(d) by his obsession with time.
2. While Pierre and Dubuche are in the studio, what does Claude almost do?
(a) destroy his painting.
(b) declare his painting finished.
(c) throw them out.
(d) commit suicide.
3. What was the occupation of Mahoudeau before he came to Paris?
(a) a blacksmith.
(b) a stone cutter.
(c) a school teacher.
(d) a grocer.
4. What does Christine do just before the deadline to enter a painting at the Salon?
(a) she urges him to use Irma as a model.
(b) she buys him a new set of paints.
(c) she poses in a wet sheet for Claude.
(d) she removes her clothes and poses nude for Claude.
5. What strange commission does Claude get from Malgras?
(a) a painting of ducks.
(b) a small painting of Christine.
(c) a still life painting of a lobster
(d) a still life painting of books.
6. Why does Claude go into one of his rages after Christine leaves?
(a) because of the effect she had on him.
(b) because he cannot find anything she had put away.
(c) because he lost the early morning light to paint by.
(d) because he had not taken advantage of her.
7. How does Claude think Irma has changed?
(a) from a possible model into a fat disaster.
(b) from an innocent girl into a weathered hag.
(c) from a common guttersnipe into a "courtesan by Titian."
(d) from a trollop into a lady.
8. Where does Claude want to exhibit his painting?
(a) the Luxemburg Museum.
(b) on the sidewalks of Paris.
(c) the Salon at the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts.
(d) the Louvre.
9. How does Bongrand get rid of Naudet when he comes to buy one of his paintings?
(a) he says that the painting is not finished.
(b) he charges twice what Naudet wants to pay.
(c) he lies that it is already sold.
(d) he pretends to be contageous.
10. Who is the former shepherd from near Plassans whose patron sent him to Paris?
11. Who is the friend now enrolled at the Beaux-Arts?
12. Who does Jory insist that Claude go with him to see?
(d) Irma Bécot.
13. What does Mahoudeau tell Claude there is little market for these days?
(a) large classic statues.
(b) angels and saints.
(c) Grape Pickers.
(d) garden sculpture.
14. What does Bongrand do before Claude sees his work hanging in the Salon des Refusés?
(a) he gives Claude high praise.
(b) he laughs in Claude's face.
(c) he takes Claude to tea.
(d) he withdraws his own painting.
15. Why does Christine pack up everything to return to Paris?
(a) to get herself a job to support Claude.
(b) to live in a warm apartment during the winter.
(c) to put Jacques in a good school.
(d) to save Claude and save her marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Claude go for a cheap lunch?
2. What style of art is preferred by the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts?
3. Why does Irma become angry with Claude during a visit to his studio?
4. What do Claude and Christine visit after they find an old boat?
5. Although Bongrand now only paints what interests him, why can the Beaux-Arts not overlook him?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)