|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem do Sandoz and Dubuche have with Claude's Open Air painting?
(a) the fact that the man is only seen from the back.
(b) the drabness of the color.
(c) the clothed man with nude women.
(d) the idea of nude women in the park.
2. What happens when the young woman wakes up?
(a) she quickly covers herself.
(b) she slaps Claude's face.
(c) she begins to cry.
(d) she asks him to pay her for modelling.
3. Where do Claude and Christine go on a short trip?
(a) to Versailles.
(b) to the south of France near the sea.
(c) to the countryside in Claude's home town.
(d) to the countryside and visit an inn called Bennecourt.
4. Who do Claude, Pierre, and Jory find sitting at a table making sketches with drops of beer?
5. What is the subject of Fagerolles's latest painting?
(a) a clothed man and a nude woman.
(b) a clown on a highwire.
(c) blue poplars and mauve ground.
(d) an actress looking in the mirror.
6. Who now has a mansion near Claude's and Christine's cottage?
(a) the Margaillan family.
(b) Pierre Sandoz.
(c) Irma Bécot.
7. Who does Claude see who pretends he has not seen Claude's painting?
8. How has Claude's past prepared him for living in the country?
(a) he returns to the nature walks he once had with Sandoz.
(b) he is just a country boy at heart.
(c) he knows how easy it is to hide in the country.
(d) he remembers the fresh air of the country.
9. Why does Claude start going out alone to paint leaving Christine in the cottage?
(a) because she is pregnant.
(b) because he wants to be alone.
(c) because she talks too much.
(d) because she keeps questioning his colors.
10. What suggestion does Pierre make to Claude about Christine?
(a) to marry and make an honest woman of her.
(b) to bring her flowers.
(c) to spend more time with her.
(d) to send her back to Paris.
11. Why does Claude go into one of his rages after Christine leaves?
(a) because he had not taken advantage of her.
(b) because he lost the early morning light to paint by.
(c) because of the effect she had on him.
(d) because he cannot find anything she had put away.
12. What do Claude's friends in Paris think is the ideal life for an artist?
(a) to paint in the country but live in the city.
(b) to live in the country and pile up masterpieces.
(c) to walk the busy streets of Paris.
(d) to take up farming and give up painting.
13. How long does Christine stay away after her first return visit to Claude's studio?
(a) three weeks.
(b) two days.
(c) a year.
(d) several months.
14. What is Pierre Sandoz's vocation?
(a) he is a musician composing new music.
(b) he is a writer aspiring to sell his first novel.
(c) he is a mathematician who loves art.
(d) he is a sculptor doing garden gnomes.
15. What does Christine do just before the deadline to enter a painting at the Salon?
(a) she poses in a wet sheet for Claude.
(b) she buys him a new set of paints.
(c) she urges him to use Irma as a model.
(d) she removes her clothes and poses nude for Claude.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides Jory, who else is vying for the attention of Mathilde?
2. Now that Sandoz is married, what role does his wife, Henriette, play in the household?
3. How does Claude behave around Christine?
4. Which of Claude's friends do he and Christine see in the street?
5. What does Christine fear if Claude escorts her to the station?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)