|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Claude and Sandoz become exasperated with stupidity of the crowd?
(a) the pushing and shoving.
(b) people eating in the Salon.
(c) their apparent lack of taste.
(d) the sound of laughter.
2. To whom does Christine turn to help get Claude out of his depression?
3. Who is Jory looking for when he bumps into Claude?
4. When was the beginnings of the Bohemian lifestyle of Claude and Pierre?
(a) after they were rejected by the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts.
(b) when they moved to Paris.
(c) after they met Delacroix.
(d) during their school days.
5. What is the condition of the clothes the young artists wear?
(a) purely rustic country style clothing.
(b) stuffily overdone.
(c) formal attire even in the daytime.
(d) down at the heel boots and threadbare jackets.
6. Why does Christine pack up everything to return to Paris?
(a) to put Jacques in a good school.
(b) to get herself a job to support Claude.
(c) to save Claude and save her marriage.
(d) to live in a warm apartment during the winter.
7. What did the boys indulge themselves in during their youth?
(a) playing pranks on the girls in their school.
(b) planning how to run away from their village.
(c) discussing philosophy with their teacher.
(d) long nature hikes and swimming naked in the river.
8. How has Jory stirred up the Paris art scene?
(a) by attacking the Studio.
(b) by praising the sidewalk artists.
(c) by praising one of Claude's paintings.
(d) by promoting Italian art.
9. Back in Paris, Claude returns to walking the streets and leaves what up to Christine?
(a) to settle into the studio they have rented.
(b) to look for a bigger studio to rent.
(c) to find a nanny for Jacques.
(d) to sell his small paintings on the streets.
10. Now that Sandoz is married, what role does his wife, Henriette, play in the household?
(a) she stays upstairs with Sandoz's mother.
(b) she sits quietly and says nothing during the meetings.
(c) she stays in the kitchen cooking the different dishes.
(d) she supervises the dinners and takes care of Sandoz mother.
11. How does Claude react to Jory's comments about his painting?
(a) he is insulted.
(b) he is aghast.
(c) he is overjoyed.
(d) he is confused.
12. Who do Claude, Pierre, and Jory find sitting at a table making sketches with drops of beer?
13. What ironic switch in attitude occurs when Christine finally agrees to go in public with Claude?
(a) now he worries that they will run into her employer.
(b) now he worries that they will run into Irma.
(c) now he worries they will run into his friends.
(d) now he worries that he has no money.
14. In spite of opposition, how does Sandoz continue to write?
(a) avoiding any controversial subject.
(b) using atrange and unexplained vocabulary.
(c) copying the great literary masters.
(d) honestly and exactly as he feels.
15. As the novel opens, what is the condition of the weather?
(a) a snow storm.
(b) a rainstorm.
(c) a clear, starry night.
(d) a dust storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the ugly family walking along with Dubuche?
2. What strange commission does Claude get from Malgras?
3. What style of art is preferred by the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts?
4. What is Claude thinking about as he walks home late at night?
5. What does Christine not want to discuss with Claude?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)