|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who visits Claude while Christine is hiding behind the screen?
(a) Chaîne and Pierre.
(b) Jory and Irma.
(c) Mahoudeau and Mathilde.
(d) Sandoz and Dubuche.
2. What does an old man in the woods offer Claude and Christine?
(a) to give them a ride to the train.
(b) to rent his house in the woods.
(c) a place to wait till the train comes.
(d) some peaches grown in his orchard.
3. Why does Christine pack up everything to return to Paris?
(a) to put Jacques in a good school.
(b) to live in a warm apartment during the winter.
(c) to get herself a job to support Claude.
(d) to save Claude and save her marriage.
4. What works are shown in the Salon des Refusés?
(a) those too good to go in the regular Salon.
(b) those eligible for special prizes.
(c) those from unknown artists.
(d) those refused for the regular Salon showing.
5. What does Claude think about the young woman standing on his doorstep at night?
(a) he thinks she is looking for work.
(b) he thinks she's a trollop.
(c) he thinks she is insane.
(d) he thinks she is beautiful.
6. What do Sandoz and Dubuche see in Claude's studio that captures their attention?
(a) Claude's sketches of Christine.
(b) left over croissants from his breakfast.
(c) small paintings of the Cathedral of Notre Dame.
(d) a letter from the Salon committee.
7. Why does Claude suggest that Christine stay with Mme. Vandaze?
(a) she is old and may leave an inheritance for Christine.
(b) she is old and may start needing her more.
(c) she is old and may not need Christine long.
(d) she is old and it is not right to leave her.
8. What makes Claude and Sandoz become exasperated with stupidity of the crowd?
(a) their apparent lack of taste.
(b) people eating in the Salon.
(c) the sound of laughter.
(d) the pushing and shoving.
9. What are the paintings that repulse Christine in Claude's studio?
(a) the nude men.
(b) the nude women.
(c) the scary themes.
(d) the distorted faces.
10. Although frequently inspired by what he sees in the country, how does Claude react?
(a) he starts paintings but never finishes them.
(b) he procrastinates, although Christine urges him to paint.
(c) he lost his confidence after the Salon.
(d) he complains that he has no canvases.
11. What convinces Claude he still has a vestige of romanticism in his veins?
(a) his desire to see Christine again.
(b) his desire to paint for tourists.
(c) his interest in a quaint Paris street.
(d) his love of romantic literature.
12. When was the beginnings of the Bohemian lifestyle of Claude and Pierre?
(a) after they were rejected by the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts.
(b) during their school days.
(c) when they moved to Paris.
(d) after they met Delacroix.
13. Where does Claude go to find Dubuche, the aspiring architect?
(a) the bistro where they often meet.
(b) the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts.
(c) DuquersonniÃ¨r's studio.
(d) Pierre Sandoz's house.
14. How does love win out over practicality?
(a) Christine gets MMe. Vandaze to move to Paris.
(b) Christine murders Mme. Vandaze.
(c) Christine resigns her position and moves in with Claude.
(d) Christine never returns to Passy.
15. How does Claude think Irma has changed?
(a) from a trollop into a lady.
(b) from a common guttersnipe into a "courtesan by Titian."
(c) from a possible model into a fat disaster.
(d) from an innocent girl into a weathered hag.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Claude go into one of his rages after Christine leaves?
2. What does Bongrand do before Claude sees his work hanging in the Salon des Refusés?
3. What are the needs of Jory that Mathilde fulfills so easily?
4. What does the lusty Jory like about Mahoudeau's sculpture of the Grape Picker?
5. Why were girls not allowed in their group of friends back in the village?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)