|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bongrand get rid of Naudet when he comes to buy one of his paintings?
(a) he charges twice what Naudet wants to pay.
(b) he says that the painting is not finished.
(c) he pretends to be contageous.
(d) he lies that it is already sold.
2. Who is the ugly family walking along with Dubuche?
(a) the family of Duquersonnièr.
(b) the family of Mathilde.
(c) the family of Margaillan, a self-made millionaire.
(d) the family of Dubuche's landlord.
3. How does Christine re-enter Claude's life?
(a) she drops by with a thank you gift.
(b) she commissions a painting.
(c) they meet accidentally at the Louvre.
(d) she asks him to pay her for modeling.
4. What does the young woman think about the art she sees in the studio?
(a) she thinks it is romantic.
(b) she thinks it is violent.
(c) she thinks it is beautiful.
(d) she thinks it is childish.
5. Why is Claude told not to bring Christine to the Thursday night dinners?
(a) because they are not married.
(b) because she is too uncouth.
(c) because they quarrel too much.
(d) because she needs to be with Jacques.
6. What does Christine not want to discuss with Claude?
(a) their lovemaking.
(b) the money she keeps hidden from him.
(c) the job she left to be with him.
(d) their not being married.
7. What does Christine fear if Claude escorts her to the station?
(a) being seen with a man early in the morning.
(b) looking like a country hick.
(c) that he will try to take advantage of her.
(d) that he will ask to see her again.
8. What does Bongrand do before Claude sees his work hanging in the Salon des Refusés?
(a) he gives Claude high praise.
(b) he takes Claude to tea.
(c) he withdraws his own painting.
(d) he laughs in Claude's face.
9. What two agonies does Sandoz mention that Claude is all too familiar with?
(a) fame and poverty.
(b) time and money.
(c) torment and dispair.
(d) criticism and doubt.
10. What was the occupation of Mahoudeau before he came to Paris?
(a) a blacksmith.
(b) a school teacher.
(c) a stone cutter.
(d) a grocer.
11. What does Claude do the next morning as the young woman sleeps?
(a) he goes out for croisants.
(b) he removes the blanket covering her.
(c) he makes sketches of her lying in the bed.
(d) he wakes her up and sends her away.
12. How do the young men of the Open Air movement see themselves?
(a) as conquerors of Paris.
(b) as successful artists.
(c) as misunderstood prophets.
(d) as lost in a wasteland.
13. Why do they return late to Paris?
(a) they make love and forget the time.
(b) they decide to stay over for the night.
(c) they get lost in the woods and miss their train.
(d) they miss their train and have to wait for the next one.
14. What is it about Claude's use of colors that Christine has difficulty understanding?
(a) blue in the poplar trees and mauve in the ground.
(b) yellow skies and pink clouds.
(c) people with purple skin.
(d) red bananas and yellow apples.
15. What convinces Claude he still has a vestige of romanticism in his veins?
(a) his desire to see Christine again.
(b) his desire to paint for tourists.
(c) his interest in a quaint Paris street.
(d) his love of romantic literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Christine turn to help get Claude out of his depression?
2. What causes Claude and Pierre to nudge each other in front of the Herbal Shop?
3. How does Claude behave around Christine?
4. When was the beginnings of the Bohemian lifestyle of Claude and Pierre?
5. Why was Mahoudeau sent to Paris from Plassans?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)