|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although Naudet can spot a good deal, how does Claude see him?
(a) as a leech in the world of art.
(b) as an opportunist who cares little about artists.
(c) as a man who is completely indifferent to good painting.
(d) as a brilliant critic of good art.
2. Realizing the people are laughing at his painting, what is Claude's reaction?
(a) he snatches his painting off the wall.
(b) he does not care about their reactions.
(c) he storms out of the Salon.
(d) his old insecurities about his talent return.
3. Who is the ugly family walking along with Dubuche?
(a) the family of Dubuche's landlord.
(b) the family of Duquersonnièr.
(c) the family of Margaillan, a self-made millionaire.
(d) the family of Mathilde.
4. Why is Christine able to come to Paris from Passy?
(a) she has no contract with her employer.
(b) her employer gives her time off.
(c) she carries the mail for her employer.
(d) she slips out after her employer goes to bed.
5. What does Claude do the next morning as the young woman sleeps?
(a) he wakes her up and sends her away.
(b) he removes the blanket covering her.
(c) he goes out for croisants.
(d) he makes sketches of her lying in the bed.
6. Who visits Claude while Christine is hiding behind the screen?
(a) Jory and Irma.
(b) Chaîne and Pierre.
(c) Sandoz and Dubuche.
(d) Mahoudeau and Mathilde.
7. After renewing his association with Sandoz, what is Claude incessantly talking about?
(a) going to study in Italy.
(b) the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts.
(c) how Mahoudeau and ChaÃ®ne killed off Jabouille.
(d) people in Paris Christine has never known.
8. Besides Jory, who else is vying for the attention of Mathilde?
(a) Ganière and Dubuche.
(b) Pierre and Dubuche.
(c) Chaîne and Mahoudeau.
(d) Bongrand and Hugo.
9. How is Claude received at Duquersonnièr's studio?
(a) with antagonism from the architecture students.
(b) by being thrown out of the studio.
(c) with joy and lots of pats on the back.
(d) by being ignored because they are all busy.
10. What was the occupation of Mahoudeau before he came to Paris?
(a) a stone cutter.
(b) a grocer.
(c) a blacksmith.
(d) a school teacher.
11. What do Claude's friends in Paris think is the ideal life for an artist?
(a) to take up farming and give up painting.
(b) to paint in the country but live in the city.
(c) to walk the busy streets of Paris.
(d) to live in the country and pile up masterpieces.
12. What happens when the young woman wakes up?
(a) she quickly covers herself.
(b) she slaps Claude's face.
(c) she asks him to pay her for modelling.
(d) she begins to cry.
13. How does Zola describe Irma Bécot?
(a) a young girl being eaten alive by the city of Paris.
(b) a virginal beauty looking for a husband.
(c) a trollop with the makings of a future Parisian courtesan.
(d) an important art critic of the day.
14. What is Claude thinking about as he walks home late at night?
(a) his friends he hasn't seen lately.
(b) a woman he met walking in the rain.
(c) how he is going to pay his rent.
(d) his unfinished canvas in his studio.
15. Why does Claude suggest that Christine stay with Mme. Vandaze?
(a) she is old and may not need Christine long.
(b) she is old and may leave an inheritance for Christine.
(c) she is old and it is not right to leave her.
(d) she is old and may start needing her more.
Short Answer Questions
1. What works are shown in the Salon des Refusés?
2. When is the laughter the loudest?
3. Who is the art dealer who has made a fortune out of buying pieces and manipulating their prices?
4. To whom does Christine turn to help get Claude out of his depression?
5. Why do they return late to Paris?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)