|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Christine not want to discuss with Claude?
(a) the money she keeps hidden from him.
(b) the job she left to be with him.
(c) their not being married.
(d) their lovemaking.
2. Who is the former shepherd from near Plassans whose patron sent him to Paris?
3. Beside the clothed man and the naked women, what are the people criticizing?
(a) his savage color combinations.
(b) his oddly shaped trees.
(c) his heavy brush strokes.
(d) his use of the color blue to indicate daylight.
4. Rejected for the Prix de Rome, what is Fagerolles now painting?
(a) slick, compromising pictures.
(b) copies of Claude's work.
5. Who is Jory looking for when he bumps into Claude?
6. How does Claude react to Jory's comments about his painting?
(a) he is aghast.
(b) he is overjoyed.
(c) he is insulted.
(d) he is confused.
7. Where does Claude find Ganière after the dinner at Pierre's house?
(a) walking the street in front of Irma's house.
(b) at their old table in the Café Baudequin.
(c) sleeping under a bridge across the Seine.
(d) sitting alone on a park bench.
8. Although Naudet can spot a good deal, how does Claude see him?
(a) as an opportunist who cares little about artists.
(b) as a brilliant critic of good art.
(c) as a leech in the world of art.
(d) as a man who is completely indifferent to good painting.
9. When is the laughter the loudest?
(a) when they reach Dubuche's architectural drawing.
(b) when they reach Marhoudeau's sculpture.
(c) when they reach Claude's picture.
(d) when they reach Bongrand's picture.
10. Why does Sandoz not visit Claude and Christine in the country after August?
(a) he is tired of making the trip.
(b) his mother becomes gravely ill.
(c) he is about to publish his first novel.
(d) he is getting married.
11. What does the lusty Jory like about Mahoudeau's sculpture of the Grape Picker?
(a) the life-like look of her face.
(b) the amount of clay used in the mold.
(c) her feet and hands.
(d) her ample bosom and thick thighs.
12. What style of art is preferred by the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts?
13. Because it is Thursday, what event will take place in the evening?
(a) dinner at Pierre's house.
(b) the meeting of the Salon.
(c) a lecture at the Beaux-Arts.
(d) fireworks on the Seine.
14. How does Bongrand get rid of Naudet when he comes to buy one of his paintings?
(a) he lies that it is already sold.
(b) he says that the painting is not finished.
(c) he charges twice what Naudet wants to pay.
(d) he pretends to be contageous.
15. Although Sandoz's novels are selling well, what is happening in literary circles?
(a) he is getting trounced by the critics.
(b) he is being taken off of library shelves.
(c) he is being praised as the new style novelist.
(d) his books are being burned.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Claude's past prepared him for living in the country?
2. When does Claude finally break down and admit his hurt and disappointment?
3. Although Bongrand now only paints what interests him, why can the Beaux-Arts not overlook him?
4. What are the needs of Jory that Mathilde fulfills so easily?
5. What does Christine do just before the deadline to enter a painting at the Salon?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)