|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Claude told not to bring Christine to the Thursday night dinners?
(a) because she needs to be with Jacques.
(b) because she is too uncouth.
(c) because they quarrel too much.
(d) because they are not married.
2. Although frequently inspired by what he sees in the country, how does Claude react?
(a) he procrastinates, although Christine urges him to paint.
(b) he lost his confidence after the Salon.
(c) he complains that he has no canvases.
(d) he starts paintings but never finishes them.
3. What famous artist joins the group at Pierre's house?
4. What does Bongrand say is better than being at the top?
(a) the slide down the mountain.
(b) the journey to the top.
(c) being in the middle.
(d) being at the beginning.
5. What two agonies does Sandoz mention that Claude is all too familiar with?
(a) criticism and doubt.
(b) fame and poverty.
(c) time and money.
(d) torment and dispair.
6. How does Claude behave around Christine?
(a) he is comfortable.
(b) he is agitated.
(c) he is forward.
(d) he is awkward.
7. How does Zola paint Claude Lantier's angst?
(a) by his mood swings over his painting.
(b) by his obsession with time.
(c) by his partying when he should be working.
(d) by his desire to protect his paintings.
8. When does Claude finally break down and admit his hurt and disappointment?
(a) when Bongrand tries to cheer him up.
(b) when he is alone with Sandoz.
(c) when he returns home and finds Christine there.
(d) when a small child begins to laugh at the painting.
9. Returning to Paris, what does Christine want to do?
(a) get Claude to paint fans for tourists.
(b) break off her relationship with Claude.
(c) find a priest and get married.
(d) resign her position and stay with Claude.
10. What does Bongrand do before Claude sees his work hanging in the Salon des Refusés?
(a) he takes Claude to tea.
(b) he withdraws his own painting.
(c) he laughs in Claude's face.
(d) he gives Claude high praise.
11. What is Bongrand's lament about art dealers?
(a) that art is fought over by bank notes.
(b) that art has become important to the rich.
(c) that artists have no chance to improve.
(d) that artists get no credit for their work.
12. Who has come to the Salon with Ganière?
(d) Irma Bécot.
13. Back in Paris, Claude returns to walking the streets and leaves what up to Christine?
(a) to look for a bigger studio to rent.
(b) to find a nanny for Jacques.
(c) to sell his small paintings on the streets.
(d) to settle into the studio they have rented.
14. Who do Claude, Pierre, and Jory find sitting at a table making sketches with drops of beer?
15. How does the young woman want to sleep?
(a) in her wet clothes on the floor.
(b) in her wet clothes sitting up in a chair.
(c) sitting up wrapped in a blanket.
(d) in the bed with Claude.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the occupation of Mahoudeau before he came to Paris?
2. Who visits Claude while Christine is hiding behind the screen?
3. To whom does Christine turn to help get Claude out of his depression?
4. Now that Sandoz is married, what role does his wife, Henriette, play in the household?
5. What do Sandoz and Dubuche see in Claude's studio that captures their attention?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)