|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mathilde Jabouille?
(a) a common trollop who loves Mahoudeau.
(b) the fat wife of the skinny herbalist.
(c) the woman Pierre and Claude saw in the herbalist's window.
(d) a wealthy patron ordering a bust of herself.
2. Although frequently inspired by what he sees in the country, how does Claude react?
(a) he procrastinates, although Christine urges him to paint.
(b) he complains that he has no canvases.
(c) he lost his confidence after the Salon.
(d) he starts paintings but never finishes them.
3. After renewing his association with Sandoz, what is Claude incessantly talking about?
(a) how Mahoudeau and ChaÃ®ne killed off Jabouille.
(b) going to study in Italy.
(c) the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts.
(d) people in Paris Christine has never known.
4. How does Claude behave around Christine?
(a) he is forward.
(b) he is agitated.
(c) he is comfortable.
(d) he is awkward.
5. What happens when the young woman wakes up?
(a) she asks him to pay her for modelling.
(b) she begins to cry.
(c) she slaps Claude's face.
(d) she quickly covers herself.
6. What are the paintings that repulse Christine in Claude's studio?
(a) the scary themes.
(b) the nude women.
(c) the nude men.
(d) the distorted faces.
7. What do Sandoz and Dubuche see in Claude's studio that captures their attention?
(a) left over croissants from his breakfast.
(b) Claude's sketches of Christine.
(c) small paintings of the Cathedral of Notre Dame.
(d) a letter from the Salon committee.
8. To whom does Christine turn to help get Claude out of his depression?
9. Why does Sandoz not visit Claude and Christine in the country after August?
(a) he is getting married.
(b) he is about to publish his first novel.
(c) he is tired of making the trip.
(d) his mother becomes gravely ill.
10. Where does Irma say Fagerolles and Jory grew out of?
(a) the same school of ambitious thought.
(b) the same gap in the pavement.
(c) the same cabbage patch.
(d) the same mansion in the country.
11. Why does Claude suggest that Christine stay with Mme. Vandaze?
(a) she is old and may leave an inheritance for Christine.
(b) she is old and may not need Christine long.
(c) she is old and it is not right to leave her.
(d) she is old and may start needing her more.
12. What is the condition of the clothes the young artists wear?
(a) formal attire even in the daytime.
(b) stuffily overdone.
(c) down at the heel boots and threadbare jackets.
(d) purely rustic country style clothing.
13. How long does Christine stay away after her first return visit to Claude's studio?
(a) two days.
(b) several months.
(c) a year.
(d) three weeks.
14. Why does Claude go into one of his rages after Christine leaves?
(a) because he lost the early morning light to paint by.
(b) because he cannot find anything she had put away.
(c) because of the effect she had on him.
(d) because he had not taken advantage of her.
15. In spite of opposition, how does Sandoz continue to write?
(a) copying the great literary masters.
(b) avoiding any controversial subject.
(c) using atrange and unexplained vocabulary.
(d) honestly and exactly as he feels.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the laughter the loudest?
2. How does the young woman want to sleep?
3. What is Chaîne working on while the others visit in Mahoudeau's studio?
4. How does love win out over practicality?
5. What works are shown in the Salon des Refusés?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)