|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ironic switch in attitude occurs when Christine finally agrees to go in public with Claude?
(a) now he worries that they will run into her employer.
(b) now he worries that he has no money.
(c) now he worries that they will run into Irma.
(d) now he worries they will run into his friends.
2. Back in Paris, Claude returns to walking the streets and leaves what up to Christine?
(a) to find a nanny for Jacques.
(b) to look for a bigger studio to rent.
(c) to settle into the studio they have rented.
(d) to sell his small paintings on the streets.
3. How does love win out over practicality?
(a) Christine gets MMe. Vandaze to move to Paris.
(b) Christine never returns to Passy.
(c) Christine resigns her position and moves in with Claude.
(d) Christine murders Mme. Vandaze.
4. How does Claude think Irma has changed?
(a) from a common guttersnipe into a "courtesan by Titian."
(b) from a trollop into a lady.
(c) from an innocent girl into a weathered hag.
(d) from a possible model into a fat disaster.
5. How do the young men of the Open Air movement see themselves?
(a) as misunderstood prophets.
(b) as conquerors of Paris.
(c) as successful artists.
(d) as lost in a wasteland.
6. What famous artist joins the group at Pierre's house?
7. What is it about Claude's use of colors that Christine has difficulty understanding?
(a) blue in the poplar trees and mauve in the ground.
(b) red bananas and yellow apples.
(c) yellow skies and pink clouds.
(d) people with purple skin.
8. Who has come to the Salon with Ganière?
(d) Irma Bécot.
9. Where does Irma say Fagerolles and Jory grew out of?
(a) the same mansion in the country.
(b) the same cabbage patch.
(c) the same school of ambitious thought.
(d) the same gap in the pavement.
10. Who visits Claude while Christine is hiding behind the screen?
(a) Sandoz and Dubuche.
(b) Mahoudeau and Mathilde.
(c) Jory and Irma.
(d) Chaîne and Pierre.
11. What gift does Christine send Claude just before his opening in the Salon des Refusés?
(a) a lock of her hair.
(b) a book of poetry.
(c) a bouquet of white lilacs.
(d) a pie she baked.
12. What does Christine fear if Claude escorts her to the station?
(a) looking like a country hick.
(b) that he will ask to see her again.
(c) that he will try to take advantage of her.
(d) being seen with a man early in the morning.
13. Why does Christine resist sightseeing in Paris with Claude?
(a) she worries she might run into her employer.
(b) she worries she will lose track of time.
(c) she still worries about being out with a man.
(d) she worries he will take her to a hotel.
14. Why does Claude start going out alone to paint leaving Christine in the cottage?
(a) because she keeps questioning his colors.
(b) because she is pregnant.
(c) because she talks too much.
(d) because he wants to be alone.
15. Who does Claude see who pretends he has not seen Claude's painting?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does she notice about Claude's Open Air painting?
2. What is Chaîne working on while the others visit in Mahoudeau's studio?
3. What is the condition of the clothes the young artists wear?
4. How does Claude react to Jory's comments about his painting?
5. In spite of opposition, how does Sandoz continue to write?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)