|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides Jory, who else is vying for the attention of Mathilde?
(a) Bongrand and Hugo.
(b) Chaîne and Mahoudeau.
(c) Pierre and Dubuche.
(d) Ganière and Dubuche.
2. How does Claude think Irma has changed?
(a) from a common guttersnipe into a "courtesan by Titian."
(b) from an innocent girl into a weathered hag.
(c) from a possible model into a fat disaster.
(d) from a trollop into a lady.
3. Who is Mathilde Jabouille?
(a) a common trollop who loves Mahoudeau.
(b) a wealthy patron ordering a bust of herself.
(c) the fat wife of the skinny herbalist.
(d) the woman Pierre and Claude saw in the herbalist's window.
4. Why is Christine able to come to Paris from Passy?
(a) she carries the mail for her employer.
(b) she slips out after her employer goes to bed.
(c) she has no contract with her employer.
(d) her employer gives her time off.
5. When does Claude finally break down and admit his hurt and disappointment?
(a) when he is alone with Sandoz.
(b) when Bongrand tries to cheer him up.
(c) when he returns home and finds Christine there.
(d) when a small child begins to laugh at the painting.
6. What does an old man in the woods offer Claude and Christine?
(a) a place to wait till the train comes.
(b) to rent his house in the woods.
(c) some peaches grown in his orchard.
(d) to give them a ride to the train.
7. Because it is Thursday, what event will take place in the evening?
(a) the meeting of the Salon.
(b) a lecture at the Beaux-Arts.
(c) dinner at Pierre's house.
(d) fireworks on the Seine.
8. What problem do Sandoz and Dubuche have with Claude's Open Air painting?
(a) the drabness of the color.
(b) the clothed man with nude women.
(c) the fact that the man is only seen from the back.
(d) the idea of nude women in the park.
9. How is Claude received at Duquersonnièr's studio?
(a) with joy and lots of pats on the back.
(b) with antagonism from the architecture students.
(c) by being thrown out of the studio.
(d) by being ignored because they are all busy.
10. Although Sandoz's novels are selling well, what is happening in literary circles?
(a) he is getting trounced by the critics.
(b) his books are being burned.
(c) he is being taken off of library shelves.
(d) he is being praised as the new style novelist.
11. How does Claude often see himself artistically?
(a) as impotent.
(b) as the greatest living artist.
(c) as needing more study.
(d) as ahead of his time.
12. Why was Mahoudeau sent to Paris from Plassans?
(a) he lost a bet.
(b) he won a sculpture contest.
(c) he was to become an architect.
(d) he was courting the mayor's daughter.
13. Realizing the people are laughing at his painting, what is Claude's reaction?
(a) he does not care about their reactions.
(b) he storms out of the Salon.
(c) his old insecurities about his talent return.
(d) he snatches his painting off the wall.
14. After renewing his association with Sandoz, what is Claude incessantly talking about?
(a) people in Paris Christine has never known.
(b) going to study in Italy.
(c) the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts.
(d) how Mahoudeau and ChaÃ®ne killed off Jabouille.
15. Where do Claude and Christine go on a short trip?
(a) to Versailles.
(b) to the countryside in Claude's home town.
(c) to the south of France near the sea.
(d) to the countryside and visit an inn called Bennecourt.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Claude's past prepared him for living in the country?
2. Beside the clothed man and the naked women, what are the people criticizing?
3. Who is the ugly family walking along with Dubuche?
4. How does the young woman want to sleep?
5. What gift does Christine send Claude just before his opening in the Salon des Refusés?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)