|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the young woman want to sleep?
(a) sitting up wrapped in a blanket.
(b) in her wet clothes sitting up in a chair.
(c) in her wet clothes on the floor.
(d) in the bed with Claude.
2. What is Pierre Sandoz's vocation?
(a) he is a musician composing new music.
(b) he is a mathematician who loves art.
(c) he is a writer aspiring to sell his first novel.
(d) he is a sculptor doing garden gnomes.
3. To whom does Christine turn to help get Claude out of his depression?
4. While Pierre and Dubuche are in the studio, what does Claude almost do?
(a) throw them out.
(b) declare his painting finished.
(c) commit suicide.
(d) destroy his painting.
5. When is the laughter the loudest?
(a) when they reach Dubuche's architectural drawing.
(b) when they reach Bongrand's picture.
(c) when they reach Marhoudeau's sculpture.
(d) when they reach Claude's picture.
6. Where do Claude and Christine go on a short trip?
(a) to Versailles.
(b) to the south of France near the sea.
(c) to the countryside in Claude's home town.
(d) to the countryside and visit an inn called Bennecourt.
7. How long does Christine stay away after her first return visit to Claude's studio?
(a) three weeks.
(b) a year.
(c) two days.
(d) several months.
8. What does the lusty Jory like about Mahoudeau's sculpture of the Grape Picker?
(a) the amount of clay used in the mold.
(b) the life-like look of her face.
(c) her ample bosom and thick thighs.
(d) her feet and hands.
9. What do Claude and Christine plan to do?
(a) open a small shop and give up art.
(b) form a commune in the country.
(c) to leave the city and go live in the country house.
(d) sell nude paintings of Christine to tourists.
10. Realizing the people are laughing at his painting, what is Claude's reaction?
(a) his old insecurities about his talent return.
(b) he storms out of the Salon.
(c) he does not care about their reactions.
(d) he snatches his painting off the wall.
11. Rejected for the Prix de Rome, what is Fagerolles now painting?
(a) copies of Claude's work.
(c) slick, compromising pictures.
12. What two agonies does Sandoz mention that Claude is all too familiar with?
(a) torment and dispair.
(b) fame and poverty.
(c) criticism and doubt.
(d) time and money.
13. How does Christine re-enter Claude's life?
(a) they meet accidentally at the Louvre.
(b) she asks him to pay her for modeling.
(c) she drops by with a thank you gift.
(d) she commissions a painting.
14. What are the paintings that repulse Christine in Claude's studio?
(a) the nude women.
(b) the scary themes.
(c) the nude men.
(d) the distorted faces.
15. Besides Jory, who else is vying for the attention of Mathilde?
(a) Chaîne and Mahoudeau.
(b) Ganière and Dubuche.
(c) Pierre and Dubuche.
(d) Bongrand and Hugo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christine not want to discuss with Claude?
2. What reawakens in Claude and Sandoz with their renewed friendship?
3. How do the young men of the Open Air movement see themselves?
4. Who do Claude, Pierre, and Jory find sitting at a table making sketches with drops of beer?
5. What is the subject of Fagerolles's latest painting?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)