|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Claude want to exhibit his painting?
(a) the Luxemburg Museum.
(b) on the sidewalks of Paris.
(c) the Louvre.
(d) the Salon at the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts.
2. What does Claude recognize about the group that still comes together for the Thursday night soirees?
(a) that they are really helping each other now.
(b) that everyone is a success except him.
(c) that it is deteriorating, except for Sandoz.
(d) that it has more power than before.
3. Why is Claude told not to bring Christine to the Thursday night dinners?
(a) because she is too uncouth.
(b) because they quarrel too much.
(c) because she needs to be with Jacques.
(d) because they are not married.
4. What is Bongrand's lament about art dealers?
(a) that artists have no chance to improve.
(b) that art has become important to the rich.
(c) that artists get no credit for their work.
(d) that art is fought over by bank notes.
5. To whom does Christine turn to help get Claude out of his depression?
6. What is Pierre Sandoz doing for Claude?
(a) advising him on how to paint.
(b) bringing him food when he is broke.
(c) paying his rent on the studio.
(d) posing for the man in his painting.
7. Why is Christine able to come to Paris from Passy?
(a) her employer gives her time off.
(b) she carries the mail for her employer.
(c) she has no contract with her employer.
(d) she slips out after her employer goes to bed.
8. Who is the journalist who drops in while Pierre and Claude are visiting Mahoudeau and Chaîne?
9. What does Christine fear if Claude escorts her to the station?
(a) looking like a country hick.
(b) that he will try to take advantage of her.
(c) that he will ask to see her again.
(d) being seen with a man early in the morning.
10. What self imposed time limit has Claude put on finishing his painting called Open Air?
(a) six weeks.
(b) nine months.
(c) six months.
(d) one year.
11. Who is Jory looking for when he bumps into Claude?
12. After renewing his association with Sandoz, what is Claude incessantly talking about?
(a) people in Paris Christine has never known.
(b) the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts.
(c) how Mahoudeau and ChaÃ®ne killed off Jabouille.
(d) going to study in Italy.
13. Who is the friend now enrolled at the Beaux-Arts?
14. When does Claude finally break down and admit his hurt and disappointment?
(a) when he returns home and finds Christine there.
(b) when a small child begins to laugh at the painting.
(c) when Bongrand tries to cheer him up.
(d) when he is alone with Sandoz.
15. What causes Claude and Pierre to nudge each other in front of the Herbal Shop?
(a) the thin and dark woman staring at them from the shop.
(b) the smell coming from the shop.
(c) their friend, Mahoudeau, coming out of the shop.
(d) the ugly sculpture of a starving child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who now has a mansion near Claude's and Christine's cottage?
2. What does Claude think about the young woman standing on his doorstep at night?
3. What works are shown in the Salon des Refusés?
4. What does Mahoudeau tell Claude there is little market for these days?
5. What do Sandoz and Dubuche see in Claude's studio that captures their attention?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)