|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who now has a mansion near Claude's and Christine's cottage?
(b) Irma Bécot.
(c) Pierre Sandoz.
(d) the Margaillan family.
2. Besides Jory, who else is vying for the attention of Mathilde?
(a) Ganière and Dubuche.
(b) Bongrand and Hugo.
(c) Chaîne and Mahoudeau.
(d) Pierre and Dubuche.
3. Returning to Paris, what does Christine want to do?
(a) get Claude to paint fans for tourists.
(b) resign her position and stay with Claude.
(c) find a priest and get married.
(d) break off her relationship with Claude.
4. What was the occupation of Mahoudeau before he came to Paris?
(a) a school teacher.
(b) a grocer.
(c) a stone cutter.
(d) a blacksmith.
5. What does Bongrand do before Claude sees his work hanging in the Salon des Refusés?
(a) he takes Claude to tea.
(b) he laughs in Claude's face.
(c) he gives Claude high praise.
(d) he withdraws his own painting.
6. Why is Christine able to come to Paris from Passy?
(a) she has no contract with her employer.
(b) she slips out after her employer goes to bed.
(c) her employer gives her time off.
(d) she carries the mail for her employer.
7. How does Claude react to Jory's comments about his painting?
(a) he is overjoyed.
(b) he is insulted.
(c) he is aghast.
(d) he is confused.
8. What does an old man in the woods offer Claude and Christine?
(a) to rent his house in the woods.
(b) some peaches grown in his orchard.
(c) to give them a ride to the train.
(d) a place to wait till the train comes.
9. Rejected for the Prix de Rome, what is Fagerolles now painting?
(b) copies of Claude's work.
(d) slick, compromising pictures.
10. What strange commission does Claude get from Malgras?
(a) a small painting of Christine.
(b) a still life painting of a lobster
(c) a painting of ducks.
(d) a still life painting of books.
11. Why is Claude told not to bring Christine to the Thursday night dinners?
(a) because they are not married.
(b) because they quarrel too much.
(c) because she is too uncouth.
(d) because she needs to be with Jacques.
12. What suggestion does Pierre make to Claude about Christine?
(a) to marry and make an honest woman of her.
(b) to spend more time with her.
(c) to send her back to Paris.
(d) to bring her flowers.
13. How does Zola describe Irma Bécot?
(a) a young girl being eaten alive by the city of Paris.
(b) an important art critic of the day.
(c) a virginal beauty looking for a husband.
(d) a trollop with the makings of a future Parisian courtesan.
14. How does the young woman want to sleep?
(a) sitting up wrapped in a blanket.
(b) in the bed with Claude.
(c) in her wet clothes on the floor.
(d) in her wet clothes sitting up in a chair.
15. Who do Claude, Pierre, and Jory find sitting at a table making sketches with drops of beer?
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Claude and Pierre to nudge each other in front of the Herbal Shop?
2. What does the young woman think about the art she sees in the studio?
3. Where does Claude go to find Dubuche, the aspiring architect?
4. What makes Claude and Sandoz become exasperated with stupidity of the crowd?
5. Who has come to the Salon with Ganière?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)