1. As the novel opens, what is the condition of the weather?
(a) a snow storm.
(b) a dust storm.
(c) a clear, starry night.
(d) a rainstorm.
2. What is Claude thinking about as he walks home late at night?
(a) a woman he met walking in the rain.
(b) his friends he hasn't seen lately.
(c) how he is going to pay his rent.
(d) his unfinished canvas in his studio.
3. What style of art is preferred by the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts?
4. What does Claude think about the young woman standing on his doorstep at night?
(a) he thinks she is beautiful.
(b) he thinks she's a trollop.
(c) he thinks she is looking for work.
(d) he thinks she is insane.
5. Why does Claude take the young woman to his studio?
(a) he wants to use her as a madel.
(b) he wants her to sleep with him.
(c) he feels he cannot leave her outside in the storm.
(d) he expects to hire her as a maid.
This section contains 6,257 words
(approx. 21 pages at 300 words per page)