1. As the novel opens, what is the condition of the weather?
(a) a clear, starry night.
(b) a rainstorm.
(c) a snow storm.
(d) a dust storm.
2. What is Claude thinking about as he walks home late at night?
(a) his unfinished canvas in his studio.
(b) a woman he met walking in the rain.
(c) how he is going to pay his rent.
(d) his friends he hasn't seen lately.
3. What style of art is preferred by the Ã‰cole des Beaux-Arts?
4. What does Claude think about the young woman standing on his doorstep at night?
(a) he thinks she is beautiful.
(b) he thinks she is looking for work.
(c) he thinks she's a trollop.
(d) he thinks she is insane.
5. Why does Claude take the young woman to his studio?
(a) he wants to use her as a madel.
(b) he feels he cannot leave her outside in the storm.
(c) he wants her to sleep with him.
(d) he expects to hire her as a maid.
This section contains 6,257 words
(approx. 21 pages at 300 words per page)