|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mutual friend became the topic of conversation between Gosse and Henry after the trial?
2. Who did Gosse say would produce unwashed boys to give evidence against Wilde?
3. What does Lady Wolseley insinuate when assigning Hammond to serve Henry?
4. What upsets Henry the most when visiting the Wolseleys?
5. With what poet's sister did Henry compare Alice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry discover about Alice when they're caught in the rain in Newport?
2. What did Henry long for after observing the people at the ball?
3. What scandal results in Oscar Wilde being brought to open trial?
4. What is his play GUY DOMVILLE about?
5. What happened when Alice's father died within a year after her mother's death?
6. What English locale entrances Henry and what is it like?
7. With whom does Minny argue and about what?
8. What former friend of Henry's does the Russian princess mention and why does it upset Henry?
9. What does Oscar Wilde's wife do because of the scandal and trial of Wilde?
10. What was Symonds' wife like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Who volunteers to help Henry decorate his new home in Rye? and what problem develops?
2) Describe Henry's father's debilitating experience. Who asked Henry about it?
3) What philosopher does Henry James Sr. read who changes his outlook on life to a happier one? What is it that Henry's father finds of interest
in the books of this philosopher?
4) Choose of of the three topics to write about.
Essay Topic 2
1) How does Henry change his opinion of the novel, THE SCARLET LETTER? How is this significant in Henry's life?
2) Describe the attack on Fort Wagner during the Civil War? What happens?
3) Who is James Barker and what happens to him in the Civil War?
4) Choose one of these three topics to write on.
Essay Topic 3
1) Who is Hendrik Andersen and what is his relationship with Henry?
2) What is revealed about the relationship between Henry and his brother William from the correspondence between them concerning the purchase of Lamb House by Henry?
3) What happens during the seance William and Alice have with the medium , Mrs. Fredericks? How does she prove her credibility?
4) Choose one of the three topics to write on.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)