|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom had Sturges met to discuss Oscar Wilde's trial?
2. Who was Lord Alfred Douglas?
3. What English locale did Henry fall in love with?
4. Who was Minny Temple?
5. Who was Hammond?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry discover about Alice when they're caught in the rain in Newport?
2. Why had the two lords invited Henry to visit them in Ireland?
3. What was the reception of Henry's play in comparison with the reception of Oscar Wilde's play?
4. What upsets Henry the most while visiting the Wolseleys?
5. What inspires Henry to return to his writing with vigor in the beginning of Chapter 4?
6. What is the plot of the novel Henry writes at the end of Chapter 4?
7. Where does Henry find an inspiration for a story?
8. With whom does Minny argue and about what?
9. Briefly describe the dream Henry has in Chapter 1.
10. Why was the success of his play so important to Henry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Where does Henry's family originally come from in Ireland? How does Webster insult Henry about his family?
2) Describe the costume ball that Lady Wolseley puts on during Henry's visit? Who does Mrs. Webster dress as? Who does Mona dreaa as?
3) Who is Mona? What upsets Henry concerning her?
4) Choose one of the three topics and write on it.
Essay Topic 2
1) Who is Gus Barker? What does he do at the school where William is a student? What happens to him during the Civil War?
2) Who are Minny Temple's three male suitors and what novel the James write based on the possible outcomes of her life with these three men?
3) Which English writer does Minny Temple love and how does Henry to some extent address this issue after Minny's death?
4) Choose one of the three questions to answer.
Essay Topic 3
1) Where does the James family move to after Newport and what breakthrough in his writing does Henry have there regarding a sense memory?
2) Who is Mrs. Florence Lett? Describe her.
3) What does Mrs. Lett's daughter do which touches Henry and warms his heart?
4) Choose one of the three topics to write about.
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)