|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem does Henry have with the Smiths which forces him to fire them?
(a) They both start becoming rude and surly to guests.
(b) They both start drinking heavily
(c) They are keep taking off and going back to London.
(d) They both are caught stealing
2. How were the downstairs rooms at Lamb house like?
(a) small and cozy
(b) medium-sized and dark
(c) elegant with large windows
(d) large and airy
3. What was one of the photographs Henry looked at at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) the monument to the 54 Massachusetts Regiment
(b) his aunt Kate
(c) Lamb House
(d) His brother William
4. What are Hendrik and Henry celebrating when they have dinner at Hendrik's favorite restaurant?
(a) an award Hendrik won for a sculpture he made
(b) the acceptance for publication of one of Henry's stories
(c) Henry's purchase of a small bust of Hendrik's
(d) their mutual affection for one another
5. What did Florence Lett's daughter look like and what was she wearing during her mother's visit to Lamb House?
(a) She was a red-head in a bright green dress.
(b) She was beautiful, fair with blue eyes and a blue dress.
(c) She was ordinary-looking with dark hair and a red dress
(d) She was a dark-skinned brunette in a white dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hadn't he done for a long time because of his painful hand?
2. How old was Henry James when he was touring Paris with the two American sisters?
3. What experience did Henry's father have in London many years ago which completely debilitated him?
4. How did Henry's good friend, Constance Fenimore Woolson, die?
5. What did Henry give a moving speech about at a party in Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom does Henry tour Paris and what are they like?
2. Which story did Henry decide to submit to which publication and which character in the story started to take on a life of her own, developing in ways Henry had not originally intended?
3. What transpires when Hendrick visits Henry at Lamb House?
4. What do Henry and his friend, Perry, do during the first summer of the Civil War and what is the effect on them?
5. Who was George Gammon and what was he like?
6. Who does Henry bring along with him from London to continue in his hire?
7. Where did the James family move and what brought about Henry's first breakthrough in his writing at the end of Chapter 7?
8. Who helps Henry choose furnishings for his house and what problem develops with that person?
9. What morbid thought comes to Henry when he envisions his life in Lamb House in Rye?
10. Who visits Henry again and again as Henry prepares to leave London and what does he ask Henry to recount to him?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)