|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Henry go on the opening night of his play?
(a) He went to the opera.
(b) He went for a walk in the park.
(c) He attended Oscar Wilde's new play.
(d) He went to a restaurant and drank.
2. How did Alice behave when a young man came into the room?
(a) She became garrulous, shrill and uneasy.
(b) She left the room immediately.
(c) She made a point of ignoring the young man.
(d) She became extremely flirtatious.
3. What does Lady Wolseley insinuate when assigning Hammond to serve Henry?
(a) that Henry should be treated like royalty
(b) that it will be a match since they're both homosexuals
(c) that Henry likes to be waited on hand and foot
(d) that Henry isn't capable of taking care of himself
4. With whom had Sturges met to discuss Oscar Wilde's trial?
(a) Lady Wolseley
(b) Wilde's parents
(c) George Bernard Shaw
(d) Lord Wolseley
5. When was the worst time for Alice when she had her most severe nervous breakdown?
(a) when she was staying in London
(b) before and just after William's marriage
(c) when she was traveling in Italy
(d) when she returned to New England
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Henry do after the play ended?
2. Who was Mr. Webster?
3. Who was Lord Alfred Douglas?
4. Describe Alice, Henry's younger sister.
5. Where did Henry , Alice and Aunt Kate visit together when Alice was suffering from hysteria?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the mutual friend, John Addington Symonds, whom Henry and Gosse discuss after the trial.
2. What does Henry discover about Alice when they're caught in the rain in Newport?
3. What English locale entrances Henry and what is it like?
4. What is the plot of the novel Henry writes at the end of Chapter 4?
5. Why had the two lords invited Henry to visit them in Ireland?
6. What inspires Henry to return to his writing with vigor in the beginning of Chapter 4?
7. Who was Gus Barker?
8. Where does Henry find an inspiration for a story?
9. Who is Mr. Webster and how does he interact with Henry?
10. Briefly describe the dream Henry has in Chapter 1.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)