|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What famous novelist visited the Jameses in Paris?
(c) George Eliot
(d) Guy de Maupassant
2. How many children did Oscar Wilde have and what gender were they?
(a) a boy and a girl
(b) two girls
(c) two boys and a girl
(d) two boys
3. How did Henry like to be seen as a writer by people?
(a) as a noble, selfless non-materialist devoted to his art
(b) as a popular, rich success
(c) as a writer who would be known as a genius in the future
(d) as a playwright not a novelist
4. Where did Henry's story appear in print?
(a) the Irish Illustrated Magazine
(b) the New England Quarterly
(c) the English Illustrated Magazine
(d) as a published book in London
5. What did Henry have to occupy his time with in the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) visiting a sick friend daily
(b) writing columns for the London Times
(c) writing letters to his many friends
(d) showing friends and relatives around London
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Oscar Wilde's wife do because of the scandal and trial?
2. Where did Henry go on the opening night of his play?
3. Who is the love of Oscar Wilde's life?
4. What did Gosse say Wilde's children looked like?
5. Who did Henry visit first after his play was a failure in London?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Princess Casamassima a double portrait of Henry's sister, Alice?
2. Describe Minny Temple, Henry's cousin.
3. What was the reception of Henry's play in comparison with the reception of Oscar Wilde's play?
4. What English locale entrances Henry and what is it like?
5. Describe the mutual friend, John Addington Symonds, whom Henry and Gosse discuss after the trial.
6. What former friend of Henry's does the Russian princess mention and why does it upset Henry?
7. What upsets Henry the most while visiting the Wolseleys?
8. Who was Gus Barker?
9. Describe who visits him at eleven o'clock.
10. What does Holmes talk about with Henry's brother, William, and not with Henry?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)