|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem does Henry have with the Smiths which forces him to fire them?
(a) They both start becoming rude and surly to guests.
(b) They both start drinking heavily
(c) They are keep taking off and going back to London.
(d) They both are caught stealing
2. What hadn't he done for a long time because of his painful hand?
(a) had a good night's sleep
(b) eaten any steak or food he had to cut with a knife
(c) kept up with the serialized novel he was writing
(d) written any serious letters
3. How old was Florence Lett's daughter in Chapter 8?
4. Who helps Henry pick out furnishings for his house in Rye?
(c) Lady Wolseley
(d) hit aunt Kate
5. What peculiar physical mannerism did Mrs. Florence Lett exhibit as she sat in Henry's drawing room?
(a) She held her pinky up straight while drinking her tea.
(b) She made different passionate facial expressions
(c) She rolled her eyes all the time.
(d) She moved her foot back and forth quickly.
6. What did Wilky and Bob have in common?
(a) noisy, not interested in education, became soldiers
(b) quiet and introverted
(c) handsome and attractive to women
(d) charming and charismatic to everyone
7. Who did Henry visit in Marseilles?
(a) Henri Bourgis and his wife
(b) Pierre Boulet and his wife
(c) Paul Bourget and his wife
(d) Peter Bourget and his wife Claire
8. What was Henry's dog's name?
9. What was the garden at Lamb House like?
(a) neglected but with a great deal of promise
(b) well-tended but too large for Henry's needs
(c) medium-sized but the plantings weren't to Henry's liking
(d) small with beautiful plantings
10. How old was Henry and how old was Constance when they met?
(a) Henry was 40, Constance 38
(b) Henry was 38, Constance 42
(c) Henry was 37, Constance 40
(d) Henry was 39, Constance 41
11. Which of Henry's cousins joined the army in the first year of the war?
(a) Bob Temple and Joseph Barker
(b) William Barker and Gus Temple
(c) Jim and Harry Temple
(d) Gus Barker and William Temple
12. Who had been Henry's best friend, the person closest to him outside his own family?
(a) Edmund Gosse
(b) Jonathan Sturges
(c) Lady Wolseley
(d) Constance Fenimore Woolson
13. What had Henry's friend, Edward Warren, offered to do for Henry?
(a) introduce him to some English nobility as possible patrons
(b) help him pay for the stenographer
(c) make drawings of the houses in Henry's novels
(d) find him a house outside London where he could write
14. What part of Henry's hand hurt him?
(a) all his fingers
(b) along and around the bone from his wrist to his little finger
(c) his thumb running to his wrist
(d) his forefinger and palm
15. What does Henry do when he returns to Venice after a five-year absence?
(a) visits several Venetian churches where he prays
(b) begins a novel about Constance Fenimore Woolson
(c) enjoys his return to the beautiful, romantic city
(d) tries to avoid the street where Constance committed suicide
Short Answer Questions
1. What story was one of the delights of Henry's childhood?
2. Who became a regular visitor of Henry's while he was preparing to leave London?
3. What prestigious club in London did Henry want to join?
4. Who was the famous mother of Maud Elliot?
5. What advantage did Emerson say Henry James, Sr. had over him?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)