1. Briefly describe the dream Henry has in Chapter 1.
He dreams he's in Italy and sees his deceased mother and his Aunt Kate and they want something from him.
2. What is his play GUY DOMVILLE about?
It's about a rich Catholic heir who must choose between carrying on the family line or joining a monastery.
3. Describe who visits him at eleven o'clock.
It's an expatriate Russian princess who is ordered to return to Russia by her cruel husband, Prince Oblisky.
4. What former friend of Henry's does the Russian princess mention and why does it upset Henry?
She drops the name of Paul Joukowsky, whom Henry loved and lost.
5. Why was the success of his play so important to Henry?
He felt as a novelist he had fallen upon evil times and playwriting might be a lifeline and a new beginning.
This section contains 2,448 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)