|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11: October 1899.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What idea for a story comes to Henry while riding to dinner at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) the story of the affection of an orphaned brother and sister
(b) the story of an ill girl who has hallucinations
(c) the story of an American family in England
(d) the story of an Irish princess falling in love with an Englishman
2. How did Henry like to be seen as a writer by people?
(a) as a writer who would be known as a genius in the future
(b) as a popular, rich success
(c) as a playwright not a novelist
(d) as a noble, selfless non-materialist devoted to his art
3. What does Henry like about the American girls' reaction to Paris?
(a) their delight in the colors, vistas and grandeur of Paris
(b) their interest in art and museums
(c) their interest in historical facts about the city.
(d) their desire to walk everywhere and keep journals
4. What publication accepted Henry's first story written in the French style about an adulterous woman?
(a) the Newport News
(b) the North American Review
(c) the Atlantic Monthly
(d) the Continental Monthly
5. What was Henry's dog's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession did Henry's friend, Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr., have?
2. Who did Gosse say would produce unwashed boys to give evidence against Wilde?
3. Who visits Henry in the first chapter?
4. What fort was Wilky's regiment sent to attack?
5. Who are the two relatives who appear in Henry's dream?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)