|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4: April 1895.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What upsets Henry the most when visiting the Wolseleys?
(a) The servants are mistreated.
(b) It's bitterly cold in his room
(c) The horses in the stables are starving.
(d) The young daughter of one of the guests is ignored.
2. Where did Henry go on the opening night of his play?
(a) He attended Oscar Wilde's new play.
(b) He went for a walk in the park.
(c) He went to the opera.
(d) He went to a restaurant and drank.
3. When Henry decides to write his own version of the ghost story, where does he finally decide it should take place?
(a) in an old mansion in New York
(b) in the past in England
(c) in a remote house on the rocks in Newport
(d) in the present in New England
4. With whom did Alice develop a close friendship after her parents died?
(a) her cousin Minny
(b) Mrs. Charles Kingsley
(c) Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
(d) Katherine Loring
5. Why did Henry decide to travel to Ireland?
(a) It was near and the people he visited hadn't seen his play.
(b) His ancestors had come from there.
(c) He loved the landscape.
(d) He wanted to write a novel about Ireland.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mutual friend became the topic of conversation between Gosse and Henry after the trial?
2. What county in Ireland had Henry's ancestors come from?
3. How many children did Oscar Wilde have and what gender were they?
4. What was Symonds's wife like?
5. How did the distinguished guest of the Jameses embarrass and shame Alice?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)