|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7: April 1898.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which novel of Henry's mentioned at the end of Chapter 5 was a tribute to Minny?
(a) The Princess Casamassima
(b) Daisy Miller
(c) The Bostonians
(d) Portrait of a Lady
2. What did Henry's father live on?
(a) his writing
(b) his inheritance, rent and dividends
(c) his wife's fortune
(d) his children's earnings
3. What was one of the photographs Henry looked at at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) his aunt Kate
(b) Lamb House
(c) the monument to the 54 Massachusetts Regiment
(d) His brother William
4. Why were the family meals a trial for Alice?
(a) She had no appetite and was constantly urged to eat.
(b) She was asked by her parents to tell about her day.
(c) Bob and Wilky teased her and left her defenseless.
(d) She didn't like being with the family but wanted to be alone.
5. What did Henry's father say was a woman's job?
(a) be a sweetheart and lover
(b) be a helpmeet to her husband in his career
(c) be submissive, cook, do needlework and care for her children.
(d) help make ends meet by earning some money
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Henry purchases before he left London?
2. What advantage did Emerson say Henry James, Sr. had over him?
3. Who was Lord Alfred Douglas?
4. After Alice's arrival in England, what novel did Henry write that had a double portrait of her?
5. What did Wilky and Bob have in common?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)