|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9: March 1899.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did Alice develop a close friendship after her parents died?
(a) Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
(b) her cousin Minny
(c) Mrs. Charles Kingsley
(d) Katherine Loring
2. Describe Alice, Henry's younger sister.
(a) She was pretty but shallow.
(b) She was healthy and very athletic.
(c) She was a robust, happy girl.
(d) She was in ill health but stoic.
3. Who did Aunt Kate say Alice would marry?
(a) Ned Lowell
(b) her older brother William
(c) Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
(d) Charles Kingsley
4. Who did Henry meet in Paris in the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Lucinda and Mary Emmet
(b) Rosina and Bay Emmet
(c) Rosalind and Betty Emmet
(d) Lucy and Marilyn Emmet
5. What was the garden at Lamb House like?
(a) neglected but with a great deal of promise
(b) medium-sized but the plantings weren't to Henry's liking
(c) well-tended but too large for Henry's needs
(d) small with beautiful plantings
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the stenographer Henry hired?
2. What does Henry buy for his house which he is advised not to buy?
3. When was the worst time for Alice when she had her most severe nervous breakdown?
4. The girls Henry meets in Paris are the daughters of whom?
5. What famous novelist visited the Jameses in Paris?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)