|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Olympias' and Philip's relationship fall apart?
2. The French were determined to throw a web of alliances over the principalities as a sign of allegiance to whom?
3. Throughout Alexander's childhood, the boy was well educated in many areas suitable to a young royal. Alexander's education included learning to sing and play the lyre, hunt, ride, and to debate, and to appreciate epic poetry, mostly as it related to whom?
4. What war did an uprising in Spain and Portugal against the French emperor later become?
5. What ideas of Wellington impressed Castlereagh?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alexander look as he rides into battle? Why is this important?
2. How was Wellington able to win the Battle of Waterloo? Could it have been won without him? Could it have been won without the aid of the Prussians? Why or why not?
3. Describe Wellington's dress during a battle. Why might he have dressed this way?
4. Why were other soldiers jealous of Wellington? Should they have been jealous? Why or why not?
5. How did Wellington treat his men? What might this reveal about him?
6. Describe Alexander's ten-year march. Why did he do this?
7. How was Wellington rewarded for his military success? Why was he rewarded in this way?
8. How does Wellington's life reveal that he was a man of great persistence, resilience, and fortitude?
9. Why might the author use the word "abstractedly" to describe Wellington?
10. What did Wellington do when the French set fire to the chateau at Hougomont? Why did he do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alexander had great orations skills.
Part 1) Describe the speaking skills of all the leaders discussed in this book. Overall, do they have effective speaking and communication skills? Explain.
Part 2) Is the ability to speak well important for a leader? Why or why not? Are our leaders today great speakers? Explain.
Part 3) What other skills are necessary for a leader to be successful? What lesser skills are also useful for a leader to have? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Western civilization considered WWI "the" war.
Part 1) Why was WWI viewed in this way? How was this reflected in weapon technology and military might?
Part 2) Based on this fact, might the west have expected more wars such as this one? Why or why not? How might "the" war have led to subsequent wars?
Part 3) Do you believe another world war will occur? Why or why not? Predict what this war would be like, based on the information given in this book.
Essay Topic 3
The leaders in this book had differing relationships with their men.
Part 1) How did these leaders feel about their men? How did these feelings influence their behavior toward their soldiers?
Part 2) Do you believe that a leader should trust his or her soldiers? Why or why not? Should a leader physically lead his or her army? Why or why not?
Part 3) What do you believe is the attitude of the U.S. military leaders toward their soldiers today? Why do you believe this? Does this attitude toward the American soldier today differ from the past? Explain.
This section contains 1,323 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)