|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At best, Grant's troops could evade and stall until help arrived from another Union battalion located _________ miles away, a distance that would take half a day to cover.
2. In a nutshell, Hitler saw war as what?
(a) A challenge.
(b) A necessary evil.
(d) Survival of the fittest.
3. By mid-afternoon on April 6, nearly _______________ of Grant's army had deserted their posts and waited for a chance to escape the battlefield.
4. The only surviving letter of Hitler's from World War I recounts an attack involving the 16th Bavarian Reserve in an attack at Ypres in what year?
5. Included in Chapter Five are several photos and renderings of Grant, including a portrait and whose surrender at Vicksburg?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Grant did not approve of the tactics used regarding the Rio Grande venture?
2. Additionally, the men who were enlisted were mainly stationed on and around the __________________ River to protect trade and settlement routes.
3. When did things change for Grant?
4. One man referred to Grant as being _______________.
5. On what did Clausewitz focus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Clausewitz? How was he misunderstood by Hitler?
2. Why was it suggested that Grant surrender at the Battle of Shiloh?
3. Why was World War I called "the" war?
4. How does Grant's opinion of the progress of war compare to that of the other leaders mentioned? Why?
5. How did Grant's approach to battle compare to Alexander's?
6. What is Grant's military philosophy?
7. What did Grant think about the reason for the Civil War? Do you agree? Why or why not?
8. How did the results of World War I affect World War II?
9. Why might some factors regarding Hitler as a soldier have been overlooked?
10. How did Grant realize an error pre-war regarding his men?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)