|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Overall, Hitler was considered to be a _______________ soldier.
(a) Poorly trained.
(d) Good and dedicated.
2. Hitler was well known for adopting the axiom of whom?
3. Grant would be inaugurated as the __________________ president.
4. The United States only had _____________ thousand men compared to the two hundred thousand men in Britain's army.
5. Hitler believed the axiom meant that an army should first destroy his enemies in the field and then do what?
(a) Clean up the field.
(b) Occupy their capital.
(c) Burn the capital.
(d) Return home.
6. Grant's devotion to the U.S. was ______________________.
(a) Complete and total.
(b) Hardly noticeable.
(c) Fairly strong.
7. As a replacement for his presence, in what did Hitler engage?
(a) A television special.
(b) A strike.
(c) A film.
8. Although Hitler would serve ______________ years as high commander, it was not the man's first foray into the military arena.
(a) Six and a half.
(b) Four and a half.
(c) Five and a half.
(d) Three and a half.
9. The year was 1862, and Grant was serving as the Commander of the District of __________________.
(a) Northern West Virginia.
(b) Eastern Indiana.
(c) Southern Kentucky.
(d) Western Tennessee.
10. Hitler believed that Germany could rise if only what?
(a) The U.S. was destroyed.
(b) The Jews were exterminated.
(c) It was given a second chance.
(d) Poland was destroyed.
11. It was shown that Grant realized his error pre-war when making the distinction between who?
(a) The wealthy soldier and the poor soldier.
(b) The man who volunteered to enlist and the man who served as a soldier during peacetime.
(c) The American soldier and the European soldier.
(d) The northerner and the southerner.
12. The regiment in which Hitler served was filled with the type of people Hitler longed to be with but what?
(a) Were too busy to include him.
(b) Were afraid of him.
(c) Did not understand him.
(d) Whose circle he had not once been admitted into.
13. Describe this person who wrote this axiom?
(a) He was a German professor.
(b) He was a military historian and author of the 1812 essay titled, "Principles of War".
(c) He was a member of the Nazi Party.
(d) He was a German military leader during WWI.
14. Why was Grant chosen for his military appointment?
(a) For his level of education received at West Point.
(b) For his level of education received at West Point and his involvement in the Mexican War.
(c) For his political connections.
(d) For his involvement in the Mexican War.
15. By mid-afternoon on April 6, nearly _______________ of Grant's army had deserted their posts and waited for a chance to escape the battlefield.
Short Answer Questions
1. Additionally, the men who were enlisted were mainly stationed on and around the __________________ River to protect trade and settlement routes.
2. Did Hitler occupy any of these grandiose lodgings?
3. The only surviving letter of Hitler's from World War I recounts an attack involving the 16th Bavarian Reserve in an attack at Ypres in what year?
4. Chapter seven, "Grant the Fighter", recalls what?
5. One man referred to Grant as being _______________.
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)