|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what did Clausewitz focus?
(a) The end of the battle.
(b) Occupation of the capital.
(c) The battlefield.
(d) The reparations that must take place after a battle.
2. The Battle of Shiloh was a surprise to the northerners. Why?
(a) They were exhausted and poorly prepared.
(b) They did not know there was an army nearby.
(c) They were not very intelligent.
(d) They did not know the country was in war.
3. The army was down to about ________ thousand men.
4. It was shown that Grant realized his error pre-war when making the distinction between who?
(a) The northerner and the southerner.
(b) The man who volunteered to enlist and the man who served as a soldier during peacetime.
(c) The wealthy soldier and the poor soldier.
(d) The American soldier and the European soldier.
5. Keegan details the progression of war and what is referred to as ______________________, noting the size of the armies of various countries.
(a) The military population expansion.
(b) The military population growth.
(c) The military population development.
(d) The military population explosion.
6. Describe this person who wrote this axiom?
(a) He was a German professor.
(b) He was a member of the Nazi Party.
(c) He was a German military leader during WWI.
(d) He was a military historian and author of the 1812 essay titled, "Principles of War".
7. Why did Grant did not approve of the tactics used regarding the Rio Grande venture?
(a) He saw the American role as an entity trying to pick a fight.
(b) He saw the Americans as victims to the Mexican military.
(c) He saw this venture as a waste of time and money.
(d) He saw the Mexicans as very dangerous.
8. The author says, "Few today think of Hitler as a soldier. But it was as a soldier, quite as much as a politician or ____________ - the strangest of his delusions - that he thought of himself" (p. 235).
(a) An artist.
(b) A musician.
(c) An actor.
(d) A dancer.
9. Overall, Hitler was considered to be a _______________ soldier.
(a) Poorly trained.
(c) Good and dedicated.
10. Hitler erected more than _____________ wartime lodgings.
11. One man referred to Grant as being _______________.
12. Hitler taunted who's ignorance of the Clausewitz work?
(a) The British's.
(b) His soldiers'.
(c) The Americans'.
(d) His generals'.
13. What political was Grant a part of?
(a) The Democratic Party.
(b) The Republican Party.
(c) The Green Party.
(d) The Whig Party.
14. Additionally, the men who were enlisted were mainly stationed on and around the __________________ River to protect trade and settlement routes.
(d) Rio Grande.
15. Included in Chapter Five are several photos and renderings of Grant, including a portrait and whose surrender at Vicksburg?
Short Answer Questions
1. Hitler was one of the most __________________ leaders of his or any other time.
2. How does Grant believe the Civil War was best fought?
3. At best, Grant's troops could evade and stall until help arrived from another Union battalion located _________ miles away, a distance that would take half a day to cover.
4. Chapter six, "Hitler in Command", may be the ____________ chapter in the text.
5. Lincoln recognized what in Grant?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)