|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many solar cells were damaged when the rover fell?
2. How many liters of water is the water reclaimer designed to process daily?
3. How many kilometers does Mark have to travel to get to Schiaparelli?
4. What book does Mark read on Sol 482?
5. How many kilometers did Mark average per sol on his way to Pathfinder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will Mark use as a bedroom and why when he gets to the MAV?
2. What accident does Mark have, and how much time does he lose?
3. Where is NASA getting a booster for the probe to send to Mark?
4. What is Rich Purnell’s job?
5. What frustrates Mark on Sol 114?
6. What does Mark do on Air Days?
7. How do they buy an additional eleven days to get Iris launched sooner?
8. Why does Mark decide not to visit Opportunity?
9. How does Mark lose communication with Earth?
10. On Sol 115 what is the plan to get supplies to Mark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The point of view in the novel alternates between first person and third person. Why is it necessary for the author to change the point of view in certain sections of the novel? What part of the story could not have been told from Mark’s point of view?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, some characters are more thoroughly described than others. Who are some characters that are merely named in passing or have a minor role in the novel? What is the importance of these flat characters to the story line? In what way do these characters make the main characters more colorful or interesting? When there is conflict, what type of role do these flat characters play?
Essay Topic 3
Although Mark is glad to be able to communicate with NASA, there are times when it can be frustrating. What are the benefits of being able to communicate with NASA? What are some negative aspects of being able to communicate with NASA?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)