|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What music is on Lewis’s USB drive that Mark finds in Rover 2?
2. What is the top speed in kilometers per hour that a rover can travel?
3. On Sol 81, how far is Mark from Pathfinder?
4. How long is the Hab designed to last?
5. What is the normal percent of oxygen in the Earth’s atmosphere?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mark decide to use ASCII to communicate with NASA?
2. What plan does Jack Trevor come up with to help communicate with Mark?
3. Why does Mark put on the inner lining of his EVA suit before using the hydrazine?
4. What are the pros and cons of having hydrazine available?
5. Why does Vankat want satellite time in Chapter 6?
6. Where is Mark when he locates the Hab signal?
7. Who spoke at Watney’s memorial service?
8. What is Mark’s first conversation with NASA on Sol 97?
9. On Sol 66, what is Mark’s mission?
10. Why does Mindy believe that Watney is alive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 5, Mark causes an explosion. What is Mark doing at the time of the explosion? Had he realized before the incident that the explosion might happen? What was damaged in the explosion? Was there anything that couldn’t be replaced or fixed?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 19, Ares 3 crew members are allowed to talk with family members on Earth. What types of conversations do the crew members have with their loved ones? Are any of the family members upset about the increase in mission time?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Mark finds ingenious ways to solve problems that come up. What are some of the problems that Mark faces? What are some of the clever ways that he solves problems?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)