|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, how long has Mark spent as the loneliest man in history?
2. To what degree does Mark intend to lower the temperature in the Hab to keep the soil alive while he extracts the hydrogen?
3. In Chapter 12, how many seconds does Lewis say that Uncle Sam is paying for every second they are on Mars?
4. On Sol 40, what is the lowest percent that Mark can get the regulator to reduce the oxygen level to in the Hab at first?
5. Phobos is the god of ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Venkat think Mark is using the RTG?
2. What is Dr. Shields’ opinion of Watney?
3. Where is Mark when he locates the Hab signal?
4. On Sol 16, in what context does Mark think about his family?
5. Why does Vankat want satellite time in Chapter 6?
6. How does Mark get the lander safely on the roof of the rover?
7. Why doesn’t Sanders want to give Venkat satellite time?
8. What are some of the dangers that can kill Mark as he is stranded on Mars?
9. What were twenty-three of the most terrifying minutes of Mark’s life?
10. What is Plutonium-238?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 5, Mark causes an explosion. What is Mark doing at the time of the explosion? Had he realized before the incident that the explosion might happen? What was damaged in the explosion? Was there anything that couldn’t be replaced or fixed?
Essay Topic 2
Mark does not have enough rations to last until the next Mars mission. What supplies does Mark have and how long will they last? What does he decide to do about the situation?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 21, a dust storm develops in Arabia Terra. How does Mark learn about the dust storm? What might happen if Mark is caught in the storm for days? How does Mark determine the path of the storm? Are his calculations correct?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)