|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does it usually take to yield full-sized potatoes?
2. Mark’s crew ordered to abort their mission after how many days?
3. What was the speed of sandstorm gusts that buffeted Mark’s mission?
4. In Chapter 12, how many seconds does Lewis say that Uncle Sam is paying for every second they are on Mars?
5. What music is on Lewis’s USB drive that Mark finds in Rover 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mark have to do a photo-op in Chapter 11?
2. How does Mark arrange everything so he can return to the Hab with the probe?
3. Why doesn’t Sanders want to give Venkat satellite time?
4. Why does Venkat think Mark is using the RTG?
5. Why does Mark have a good supply of EVA suits?
6. Why is the weak point of a lander the battery?
7. What does Mark do to ensure his potato plants will survive his expedition on Sirius 4?
8. How does Mark get the lander safely on the roof of the rover?
9. What is Dr. Shields’ opinion of Watney?
10. What is Mark’s plan if he isn’t rescued and runs out of food?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 21, a dust storm develops in Arabia Terra. How does Mark learn about the dust storm? What might happen if Mark is caught in the storm for days? How does Mark determine the path of the storm? Are his calculations correct?
Essay Topic 2
Mark’s sense of humor and emotional makeup allow him to survive on Mars. Is Mark a pessimist or optimist? What does Mark usually do when a crisis occurs? How does his state of mind help him survive?
Essay Topic 3
The Iris probe is a failure. What is the purpose of the Iris probe? What kind of timeline was necessary to get the probe completed on time? What shortcuts were taken? How did the shortcuts affect the mission?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)