|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the crew members in Chapter 12 has a European Union flag on the uniform?
2. What was Mark’s Ares Mission?
3. How many liters of water will Mark need for his farmland?
4. How long is the Hab designed to last?
5. How long did it take Mark’s crew to get to Mars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the dangers that can kill Mark as he is stranded on Mars?
2. Why does Venkat think Mark is using the RTG?
3. What’s the situation with food supplies for Mark when he is stranded?
4. Why doesn’t Sanders want to give Venkat satellite time?
5. What plan does Jack Trevor come up with to help communicate with Mark?
6. What is Mark’s plan if he isn’t rescued and runs out of food?
7. What does Mark do to ensure his potato plants will survive his expedition on Sirius 4?
8. On Sol 16, in what context does Mark think about his family?
9. What are the pros and cons of having hydrazine available?
10. Why does Mindy believe that Watney is alive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Chinese donate a booster to Mark’s rescue mission. How did the Chinese happen to have a booster ready to go? Why did they decide to let NASA use it? What did the Chinese get in exchange?
Essay Topic 2
Mark uses ASCII to communicate with NASA at first. How does Mark present his first message to NASA? Why doesn’t he just write out his messages? Why does he decide to use ASCII to communicate?
Essay Topic 3
Mark’s sense of humor and emotional makeup allow him to survive on Mars. Is Mark a pessimist or optimist? What does Mark usually do when a crisis occurs? How does his state of mind help him survive?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)