|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does a Mars mission take?
2. How long does it take Mark to fire out a pop-tent?
3. What was the speed of sandstorm gusts that buffeted Mark’s mission?
4. On Sol 42, how long does it take to reduce the hydrazine and burn the hydrogen?
5. In Chapter 7, how far away is the Schiaparelli crater from Mark?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Venkat think Mark is using the RTG?
2. On Sol 66, what is Mark’s mission?
3. Why does Mark have a good supply of EVA suits?
4. Why does Mark put on the inner lining of his EVA suit before using the hydrazine?
5. What’s the situation with food supplies for Mark when he is stranded?
6. Who spoke at Watney’s memorial service?
7. What is Mark’s first conversation with NASA on Sol 97?
8. What is Dr. Shields’ opinion of Watney?
9. What are the pros and cons of having hydrazine available?
10. Why doesn’t Sanders want to give Venkat satellite time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Mark is glad to be able to communicate with NASA, there are times when it can be frustrating. What are the benefits of being able to communicate with NASA? What are some negative aspects of being able to communicate with NASA?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 21, a dust storm develops in Arabia Terra. How does Mark learn about the dust storm? What might happen if Mark is caught in the storm for days? How does Mark determine the path of the storm? Are his calculations correct?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 7, Mark embarks on the Sirius missions. What are the Sirius missions? What is the purpose of the missions? What does Mark gain from the missions?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)