• Six months of what should have been the greatest months of Mark Watney's life have turned into a nightmare.
• As members of the Ares 3 mission to Mars, Mark and his fellow crew members are sandblasted by 175 kph winds.
• Since the mission is designed for gusts up to 150 kph, NASA gives the order to abort the mission after only 6 days.
• As they are leaving, a thin antenna from the communications dish slams into Mark.
• It tears through his suit, and the last thing Mark remembers is seeing Johanssen hopelessly reaching out for him.
• Mark awakens to the sound of his oxygen alarm.
• He is face-down, nearly buried in the sand, with a hole in his suit and his side.
• His suit performed admirably and managed to seal the hole and keep him supplied with oxygen.
• However the level of oxygen is much too high, and Mark is...
This section contains 4,550 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)