|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Josefa going to embrace the abbess?
2. Where is this event taking place?
3. What does the priest blame the earthquake on?
4. Where does the earthquake take place?
5. Due to the destruction, what was Josefa sure of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jerónimo find by a stream?
2. What did Josefa do after seeing the collapsed jail?
3. What does Jerónimo ask people on the streets?
4. What does the priest preach about at the service?
5. What do Don and his wife decide to do?
6. What effect does the favor that Josefa agrees to do for the man have?
7. What is Don Fernando told on the way to the city?
8. Why is Jerónimo in jail?
9. After the earthquake, where does Jerónimo go?
10. What is Jerónimo planning to do in his jail cell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the elements of mystery which von Kleist employs throughout the short story "The Marquise of O". What techniques does von Kleist use to create a sense of mystery and intrigue? What plot points are surrounded with mystery? Does the reader learn the truth in the end?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the examples of out-of-wedlock pregnancies found in the short stories "The Marquise of O" and "The Earthquake in Chile". How do these pregnancies affect the protagonists of the stories? How does society react to these pregnancies?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of good versus evil in the short story collection "The Marquise of O, and Other Stories." What characters struggle with the invisible line between good and evil? Why do they struggle with this, and how do they overcome this struggle?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)