|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don do after the man makes his announcement?
2. What is Jerónimo's last name?
3. What does Don refuse to do?
4. What is Josefa doing when Jerónimo finds her?
5. What does the crowd do to Jerónimo and Josefa in the end?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the favor that Josefa agrees to do for the man have?
2. Why is Jerónimo in jail?
3. How does Don Fernando try to help Jerónimo and Josefa?
4. What is Jerónimo's and Josefa's plan for the future?
5. What is Don Fernando told on the way to the city?
6. What happens to Jerónimo and Josefa in the end?
7. What does the priest preach about at the service?
8. What did Josefa do after seeing the collapsed jail?
9. What is Jerónimo planning to do in his jail cell?
10. What happens to Don Fernando's baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of judgment in the short stories from "The Marquise of O, and Other Stories." What examples of judgment can be found in the story "The Marquise of O" and how do these examples affect the protagonist? What examples of judgment can be found in the story "The Earthquake in Chile"? How do these examples affect the protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of religion in the short story "The Earthquake in Chile." What religious elements and ideas are explored in this story? How do the characters view religion and God? In what way is God and God's wrath involved in the downfall of the protagonists?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the short story collection "The Marquise of O, and Other Stories", Heinrich von Kleist. What were his major career accomplishments? What themes from these stories did he also explore in his other works? Is he respected in the literary world?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)