|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Jerónimo's and Josefa's baby?
2. How long is Jerónimo unconscious?
3. What happened to the convent where the baby was being cared for?
4. What does the crowd do to Jerónimo and Josefa in the end?
5. In what year does the earthquake in the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jerónimo and Josefa in the end?
2. What is Don Fernando told on the way to the city?
3. What effect does the favor that Josefa agrees to do for the man have?
4. After the earthquake, where does Jerónimo go?
5. What did Josefa do after seeing the collapsed jail?
6. What is Jerónimo's and Josefa's plan for the future?
7. What happened at the convent?
8. What do Don and his wife decide to do?
9. What does a man announce during the service, and how does the crowd react to this?
10. What does Jerónimo find by a stream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the genre of the collection "The Marquise of O, and Other Stories." Does the author always write in this genre? What are the elements of this genre? What are some other works of the same genre?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of judgment in the short stories from "The Marquise of O, and Other Stories." What examples of judgment can be found in the story "The Marquise of O" and how do these examples affect the protagonist? What examples of judgment can be found in the story "The Earthquake in Chile"? How do these examples affect the protagonist?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of men and women in the short story "The Marquise of O". How does von Kleist portray men? How does he portray women? Why might he have portrayed them in such a different light? What might he be trying to convey to the reader?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)