|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the priest make sure to point out?
2. What was the capital of this country at this time?
3. Why do they want to go to this place after securing a loan?
4. What is the name of Don Fernando's wife?
5. What does a man announce in the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens while Jerónimo is in his jail cell?
2. What happens to Don Fernando's baby?
3. What is Jerónimo's and Josefa's plan for the future?
4. What does Jerónimo find by a stream?
5. How does Don Fernando try to help Jerónimo and Josefa?
6. What did Josefa do after seeing the collapsed jail?
7. What happens to Jerónimo and Josefa in the end?
8. What is Jerónimo planning to do in his jail cell?
9. What does the priest make sure to point out during his sermon?
10. What does the priest preach about at the service?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of good versus evil in the short story collection "The Marquise of O, and Other Stories." What characters struggle with the invisible line between good and evil? Why do they struggle with this, and how do they overcome this struggle?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Jerónimo and Josefa. What background information does the reader learn about in regards to their relationship? Why are they punished? How do they overcome their separation? In what way does their relationship lead to their downfall?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of men and women in the short story "The Marquise of O". How does von Kleist portray men? How does he portray women? Why might he have portrayed them in such a different light? What might he be trying to convey to the reader?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)