|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "The Marquise of O-"?
2. Why does the Count want to marry the Marquise?
3. Why does the Marquise not believe the doctor when he says she is pregnant?
4. What country attacks the Marquise's country?
5. How does the Count shock the Marquise's brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of life does the Marquise decide to lead after she leaves the family home?
2. What is the Marquise doing at the beginning of the story?
3. What is surprising about the Count's visit?
4. What does the Marquise's mother do to prompt a reconciliation between the Marquise and her father?
5. What does the Count do after visiting the Marquise's family?
6. During dinner with the Marquise and her family, what does the Count tell them about?
7. What does the doctor tell the Marquise, and how does the Marquise react?
8. How does the Count shock the Marquise's brother?
9. What does the Marquise refuse to do before leaving the house?
10. Why does the Marquise call for a doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the elements of mystery which von Kleist employs throughout the short story "The Marquise of O". What techniques does von Kleist use to create a sense of mystery and intrigue? What plot points are surrounded with mystery? Does the reader learn the truth in the end?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of social damnation in the short stories "The Marquise of O" and "The Earthquake in Chile." In what way and for what reasons are the protagonists in "The Marquise of O" and "The Earthquake in Chile" socially banished or damned? How does this social damnation affect the protagonists and the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between the Marquise and Count F. What are their initial opinions of each other? How does the Marquise's opinion of the Count change? What does the Count do to the Marquise that leads her to view him as a villainous character?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)