|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Marquise call for a doctor?
2. What does the Marquise's mother claim she will do if the Marquise's father does not forgive his daughter?
3. What does the Marquise's father do willingly during the attack?
4. What does the Marquise's mother give the Marquise after her examination?
5. What does the Marquise's father reach for as she pleads her case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Marquise refuse to do before leaving the house?
2. How does the Count shock the Marquise's brother?
3. What does the Marquise's mother do to prompt a reconciliation between the Marquise and her father?
4. What happens following the attack?
5. What kind of life does the Marquise decide to lead after she leaves the family home?
6. What does the Count do after visiting the Marquise's family?
7. What happens to the Marquise's family because of the war?
8. How is the Marquise described?
9. What does the Count share about his experiences since he saw the family last?
10. How does the story end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of good versus evil in the short story collection "The Marquise of O, and Other Stories." What characters struggle with the invisible line between good and evil? Why do they struggle with this, and how do they overcome this struggle?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of religion in the short story "The Earthquake in Chile." What religious elements and ideas are explored in this story? How do the characters view religion and God? In what way is God and God's wrath involved in the downfall of the protagonists?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of revenge in the short story "The Foundling". Who seeks revenge? How and why do these characters seek revenge? How does their desire for revenge affect their lives and the plot in general?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)