|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many votes did Andrew Jackson win the runoff by?
2. How does Sellers characterize Jackson?
(a) Ardent nationalist.
(b) Anti-intellectual rabble-rouser.
(c) Conservative bureaucrat.
(d) Devoted regionalist.
3. Who gained power during the economic crash?
(a) Radical Republicans.
(b) Conservative Republicans.
(c) Moderate Democrats.
(d) Radical Democrats.
4. How does Sellers describe America at the beginning of the Jacksonian era?
(a) Equilibrium between landholders and workers.
(b) Exploitation of workers by corporations.
(c) Powerful landholders controlled cheap labor.
(d) Growth of corporations with cheap labor.
5. What does Sellers say Jackson learned from his mother as a child?
(a) Defend yourself.
(b) Never tell a lie.
(c) Do the right thing.
(d) Get ahead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sellers say would be the result of expanding markets?
2. How were people feeling about slavery in the 1810s?
3. On what topic does Sellers say James Madison agreed with Thomas Jefferson?
4. What faction became particularly powerful as a result of Republican policies?
5. How did the Second Great Awakening affect Jackson's America, according to Sellers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the vision toward which new Democrats wanted to take the country?
2. How does Sellers characterize the period covered in The Market Revolution?
3. Where else beside New York did democratic opposition to Republicans succeed?
4. What historical developments disturbed the equality between Madisonian and Jeffersonian forces?
5. What period does Sellers's book cover?
6. What happened to the momentum Thomas Jefferson brought into office?
7. What was slavery's role in the development of democratic American capitalism?
8. What was the democratic stance on the money supply, as the Democrats started to come into opposition to the Republicans?
9. What happened when Andrew Jackson intervened against Spanish Florida?
10. What was the Republican strategy for the election of 1824?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)