|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did things change for political elites, according to Sellers?
(a) They paid higher taxes.
(b) Their property was nationalized.
(c) They faced new regulations.
(d) They were pilloried.
2. What was DeWitt Clinton's role in the Republican party?
(a) Opposition candidate.
(c) Populist leader.
(d) Party kingmaker.
3. What did the Speaker of the House under James Monroe advocate?
(c) Free trade.
(d) Tight credit supply.
4. What kinds of positions does Sellers say became more rare in Jackson's America?
(a) Unskilled labor positions.
(b) Apprenticeship positions.
(c) Management positions.
(d) Mercantile positions.
5. How does Sellers describe the Republicanism of Thomas Jefferson and James Madison?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the condition of the U.S. in Jackson's time?
2. What policy did Monroe continue, according to Sellers?
3. Which interests did the Speaker of the House want to strength?
4. How long did the order that came out of the Jacksonian era last, according to Sellers?
5. What aspect of slavery offended liberal capitalist bourgeois morality, in Sellers' account?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was a paper money economy proposed, and what was its effect on American culture?
2. What was John Quincy Adams's role in the development of American capitalism?
3. What was John Calhoun's role in the development of American capitalism?
4. Who supported Thomas Jefferson's rise to power?
5. What was the democratic stance on the money supply, as the Democrats started to come into opposition to the Republicans?
6. What happened to the momentum Thomas Jefferson brought into office?
7. What happened to debtors when the economy crashed, in Sellers's account?
8. What was Martin Van Buren's importance in opposing the Republican party?
9. How did American politics change as a result of the economic crash?
10. What was the Republican strategy for the election of 1824?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)