|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Politicians.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Andrew Jackson defeat for the democratic nomination?
(a) James Monroe.
(b) Henry Clay.
(c) John Quincy Adams.
(d) John Calhoun.
2. What does Sellers say happened to farmers during the economic crash?
(a) They had to pay cash wages for labor they used to get simply for room and board.
(b) They sold their farms and moved their families to the cities.
(c) They could not afford the costs of raising their crops.
(d) They lost money in speculation and were sucked into the market.
3. What does Sellers attribute Jackson's rise to?
(c) Economic disaffection.
4. Where did democratic sentiment exist in the south, in Sellers's account?
(a) In the masses who did not work on plantations.
(b) In the slaves.
(c) In the slave holders.
(d) In the few urban centers.
5. How did Southerners see labor, according to Sellers?
(a) As the engine of regional strength.
(b) As God's work.
(c) As beneath them.
(d) As the foundation for nationalism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does capitalism result in, according to Sellers?
2. What force does Sellers say created political pressure from the South?
3. When does Sellers date the beginning of the Jacksonian era?
4. Whom did James Monroe replace in the White House?
5. What is the first event of 1810 Sellers describes?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)