Chapter 1, Land and Market
1. When does Sellers date the beginning of the Jacksonian era?
2. When did the Jackson administration end?
3. What sphere did NOT change under Jackson, according to Sellers?
4. What resulted from the changes that took place under Jackson?
(a) A repressive socialist regime.
(b) Our modern liberal democratic state.
(c) A neo-feudalist militaristic state.
(d) A confederation of independent states.
5. How long did the order that came out of the Jacksonian era last, according to Sellers?
(a) Until World War II.
(b) Until the Civil War.
(c) Until the present.
(d) Until the Great War.
6. What does Sellers say the original economic conflict took place between in America?
(a) Land and market.
(b) Farmer and manufacturer.
(c) Market and currency.
(d) Indigene and immigrant.
7. What was the condition of the U.S. in Jackson's time?
(a) Mostly agricultural territory.
(b) Mostly settled territory.
(c) Mostly open territory.
(d) Mostly Eastern seaboard territory.
8. How does Sellers characterize labor in Jackson's America?
This section contains 4,269 words
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)