|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of an accomplice does Delaroche realize he needs before he travels to Amsterdam?
2. To whom do the Soviet agents in the beginning of the book have to present themselves?
3. For what agency has a Soviet agent been groomed for specialized assassinations?
4. How many bullets go into the Soviet agents that are killed after crossing the border into the West?
5. Senator Cannon is vehemently opposed to the defense project, stating that it is only the method by which ______ repays heavy contributors.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Astrid and Delaroche kill Colin?
2. Why is Elizabeth jealous of Sarah?
3. Why does Elizabeth refuse to snoop for Susanna?
4. How is Mahmoud described on board the yacht off the coast of Long Island?
5. Why does Astrid go to Germany in her youth and become a member of the Communist Party?
6. How is Senator Sterling a typical liberal leader?
7. What happens when the three Soviet agents cross the border?
8. What is the young Soviet agent groomed for?
9. What does Beckwith talk about in his speech to the public?
10. Why is Ari Shamron happy with Beckwith's speech?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is sexuality portrayed in The Mark of the Assassin? Which characters appear overtly sexual? Which characters are sexually appealing to others and why? What sexual taboos are broken and what issues are raised in relation to sex?
Essay Topic 2
Silva espouses a radical approach to work and employment that would alter the structure of society. He describes the CIA operative or worker in The Mark of the Assassin who is under pressure to satisfy government objectives that may conflict with personal beliefs. Describe the CIA worker in The Mark of the Assassin. Do you think this is realistic and characteristic of today? Do you think the issues that Adams discusses are still relevant today and if so, in what ways?
Essay Topic 3
Politics play a significant role in the book. Adams refers to the politics of the CIA in The Mark of the Assassin compared to that of other organizations. Discuss the use of politics in the novel. How does politics influence the actions of the main characters of Michael, Nicolai, and others? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)