|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom do the Soviet agents in the beginning of the book have to present themselves?
2. What does Vandenburg charge Susanna with regarding her work when she calls him prior to turning in her journalistic piece about the President?
3. Where does Douglas Cannon live?
4. Who did Ari, Michael, and Kalkinov hire to murder the perpetrator of the plane bombing?
5. Where does Astrid live when she learns her father was involved with the Nazis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the sign left behind at the crime scene that Michael remembers?
2. What does Beckwith talk about in his speech to the public?
3. Why are two men on a large yacht off the coast of Long Island in Part 1: October: Chapters 1-4?
4. What does Michael receive that leads him to believe the dead man is Mahmoud?
5. Why does Delaroche hire Astrid?
6. Why does Michael not believe that the airline incident involved the Sword of Gaza?
7. Why does Astrid go to Germany in her youth and become a member of the Communist Party?
8. What does Susanna discover about Elliott and Beckwith's relationship as she writes her story?
9. How is Senator Sterling a typical liberal leader?
10. Why is Ari Shamron happy with Beckwith's speech?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for The Mark of the Assassin. What is the overall setting? How does the city of Washington DC change over time? How is this different from Langley? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in The Mark of the Assassin?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Mulchabarat with the KGB. How are these organizations similar? How are they different? How do they compare to the CIA?
Essay Topic 3
Describe The Mark of the Assassin's CIA practice of gaining power through money and violence. How does this contrast with the rise to ascendancy of political groups? Which group is more committed to success if any? Which group is more ethical and how so? Which group ultimately wins the popular support and why?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)