|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom do the men in the yacht say they are planning to move the boat to Nova Scotia?
2. What has President Beckwith's wife urged him to do that he is reluctant about?
3. What area do the Soviet agents enter after crossing the border into the West?
4. Senator Cannon is vehemently opposed to the defense project, stating that it is only the method by which ______ repays heavy contributors.
5. What is left behind on the bodies as a result of the killing of two people by a Soviet agent crossing the border?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the sign that makes the assassinations distinctive?
2. What does Susanna discover about Elliott and Beckwith's relationship as she writes her story?
3. How does Beckwith respond to the airline strike when he is on vacation?
4. What does Michael receive that leads him to believe the dead man is Mahmoud?
5. Why does Delaroche hire Astrid?
6. What is the ruse employed by the two men on a large yacht off the coast of Long Island for their journey?
7. Why does Elizabeth refuse to snoop for Susanna?
8. How do Astrid and Delaroche kill Colin?
9. Why does Braxton accept Elizabeth into his firm?
10. What does Beckwith talk about in his speech to the public?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Silva uses more than one iteration on the theme of betrayal and deception. Identify at least two themes about betrayal in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name. Who feels betrayed in The Mark of the Assassin and in what ways? Who suffers as a result of this betrayal? What emotions are evoked by betrayal? Take a closer look at the different people involved and the roles they play.
Essay Topic 2
Politics play a significant role in the book. Adams refers to the politics of the CIA in The Mark of the Assassin compared to that of other organizations. Discuss the use of politics in the novel. How does politics influence the actions of the main characters of Michael, Nicolai, and others? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Silva uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss of life. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)