|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What vehicle picks ups Abu's assassin from the yacht?
2. What year does the Prologue begin?
3. How much does Elliott stand to make on the missile defense system?
4. What does Abu take out to complete his mission that is attached to the yacht?
5. What party is President Beckwith part of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elizabeth refuse to snoop for Susanna?
2. What happens to Mahmoud after he completes his mission aboard the whaler?
3. How do the Soviet agents present themselves to the Austrian police?
4. Why is Michael at a desk job for the CIA?
5. Why is Elizabeth angry with Michael when he returns from his investigation to their house in Georgetown?
6. What is the young Soviet agent groomed for?
7. How is Senator Sterling a typical liberal leader?
8. Why is Cannon opposed to the missile project?
9. Why are two men on a large yacht off the coast of Long Island in Part 1: October: Chapters 1-4?
10. Why does Astrid go to Germany in her youth and become a member of the Communist Party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Silva uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss of life. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The Mark of the Assassin is written primarily in the third-person point of view. Is this point of view more or less effective than telling the story from the first-person perspective of Michael?
Essay Topic 3
Silva uses more than one iteration on the theme of betrayal and deception. Identify at least two themes about betrayal in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name. Who feels betrayed in The Mark of the Assassin and in what ways? Who suffers as a result of this betrayal? What emotions are evoked by betrayal? Take a closer look at the different people involved and the roles they play.
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)