|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Amal decide to move to once Anna's story is finished?
(c) New York.
2. What prediction does the article that Amal reads to Isabel give about the year 2000?
(a) Islam will be the world's fastest growing religion.
(b) The U.S. will control most of the world's wealth.
(c) All the computers will shut down.
(d) Israel will control Jerusalem.
3. What does Isabel create for Omar in Chapter 28?
(a) A portait of 'Omar and Amal in the garden.
(b) A web page about his political activities.
(c) A tapestry of Isis.
(d) An Egyptian dinner.
4. Which character does Isabel blame for putting the missing tapestry in her bag?
(b) Umm Aya.
5. What is Ahmad's gifting that Anna writes about in Chapter 24?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna remove on May 17th, 1901?
2. In Chapter 26, which character gives the warning: "The knowledge of what's hidden is with God alone."
3. What must Sharif wait for before he can set up a school?
4. What honor does Zeinab give Anna the night of her wedding?
5. What is tarab?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Layla, what has been the net result of the political strife in Egypt?
2. Why is 'Omar concerned about Isabel's pregnancy?
3. How does Anna's relationship with Layla and Sharif affect her relationship with other Britons living in Egypt?
4. Why does Anna decide to remain in Egypt?
5. What does Zeinab think of Anna?
6. Why does Anna consider returning to England in Chapter 17?
7. What fear does Sharif have for Nur's future?
8. Why did Ibrahim Nassif al-Wardani assassinate Prime Minister Ghali?
9. Describe Isabel's experience in the shrine.
10. Why does Amal fear for 'Omar?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)