|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Anna and Sharif confront Lord Cromer at the Agency?
(a) They want their marriage to be recognized in Britain.
(b) Lord Cromer has denied Anna's visa.
(c) Lord Cromer has threatened to jail Sharif for marrying Anna.
(d) Lord Cromer has threatened to annul their marriage.
2. What is "'Al-Mar'ah al-Jadidah?"
(a) A new political organization that holds conservative views of Arabic women.
(b) A new book about the future role of Arabic women in the 20th century.
(c) A new political organization that holds progressive views of Arabic women
(d) A new song describing the changing role of Arabic women.
3. When is Anna supposed to meet Sharif's father?
(a) At the formal banquet.
(b) After they are married.
(c) After a formal banquet.
(d) On the day of the wedding.
4. How does the carriage driver in Chapter 23 offend Sharif?
(a) By referring to his house as "the house of the Englishwoman."
(b) By referring to his wife as an "English trophy."
(c) By refusing to talk to him.
(d) By driving off without offering him change for his fare.
5. What types of dangerous letters has 'Omar received?
(a) Reports from the Egyptian resistance.
(b) Official letters from the Egyptian government.
(d) Legal summons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is depicted on Amal's tapestry panel?
2. How is "little Sharif" related to Amal?
3. Why is the museum closed in Chapter 25?
4. Which character is 'Omar attracted to in Chapter 21?
5. Which characters prepare Anna on her "Henna Day"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What complications might arise with Anna and Sharif's marriage?
2. How does Tareq help Amal and the fellaheen in Chapter 26?
3. Why does Anna consider returning to England in Chapter 17?
4. Why does Anna feel her baby is in the balance against the ills of the world?
5. Why is Sharif offended by the carriage driver in Chapter 23?
6. What is the subject of "'Al-Mar'ah al-Jadidah"?
7. How does Anna's life change after Sharif's death?
8. Why does Anna's wedding take three days to finalize?
9. According to Layla, what has been the net result of the political strife in Egypt?
10. How does Amal honor her ancestors once her research is complete?
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)