|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character does Amal fear for in "An End?"
2. Which royal event does Anna attend in Chapter 17?
(a) Princess Nazli Fadhil's literary/political salon.
(b) Prince Yusuf Kamal's Oriental dance recital.
(c) The National Opera.
(d) Sheikh Muhammad 'Abdu's annual feast.
3. What controversial issues are discussed at the Ramadan dinner in Chapter 23?
(a) The adoption of British customs and practices in government.
(b) The roles of religion and culture in government.
(c) The education of women and the use of the veil.
(d) The use of force during political protests and political ideals.
4. What does Layla feel has dominated the lives of her family members?
5. What is "'Al-Mar'ah al-Jadidah?"
(a) A new book about the future role of Arabic women in the 20th century.
(b) A new political organization that holds progressive views of Arabic women
(c) A new political organization that holds conservative views of Arabic women.
(d) A new song describing the changing role of Arabic women.
Short Answer Questions
1. What English custom does Anna teach Nur?
2. In "An End", what does Isabel want to show 'Omar?
3. In Chapter 26, which character gives the warning: "The knowledge of what's hidden is with God alone."
4. What gift does Sharif plan to give Anna on their wedding day?
5. What advice does Umm Aya give Isabel in "A Beginning of an End"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anna's life change after Sharif's death?
2. How does the "Entente cordiale" affect Sharif?
3. How does Amal honor her ancestors once her research is complete?
4. Why does Anna decide to remain in Egypt?
5. Why does Anna's wedding take three days to finalize?
6. What atrocity begins with the death of a few pigeons?
7. What complications might arise with Anna and Sharif's marriage?
8. Why did Ibrahim Nassif al-Wardani assassinate Prime Minister Ghali?
9. How does Anna's story affect Amal's future?
10. How does Anna's relationship with Layla and Sharif affect her relationship with other Britons living in Egypt?
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)