|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can Sheikh 'Isa create?
(a) Intricate baskets.
(b) Haunting melodies.
(c) Beautiful tapestries.
(d) Elaborate embroidery.
2. What types of dangerous letters has 'Omar received?
(a) Reports from the Egyptian resistance.
(b) Official letters from the Egyptian government.
(d) Legal summons.
3. What physical ailment sometimes prevents Sheikh 'Isa from working?
(a) A stigmata.
(c) A rash.
(d) A deep cough.
4. How does the carriage driver in Chapter 23 offend Sharif?
(a) By referring to his wife as an "English trophy."
(b) By driving off without offering him change for his fare.
(c) By referring to his house as "the house of the Englishwoman."
(d) By refusing to talk to him.
5. Which character is depicted on the "missing" panel in "An End?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ahmad's gifting that Anna writes about in Chapter 24?
2. Where does Emily decide to live after Anna's wedding?
3. What concern does Anna have about Sharif's behavior in Chapter 28?
4. Which character asks the question, "How can one arrive at the planet Souad?"
5. In Chapter 23, where does Sharif fear his father may soon go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Amal fear for 'Omar?
2. How does Anna's story affect Amal's future?
3. What fear does Sharif have for Nur's future?
4. Why does 'Omar refuse to continue his relationship with Isabel in Chapter 22?
5. How does Sharif's motivation and behavior change by Chapter 29?
6. Why do Anna and Sharif argue in Chapter 22?
7. How does Anna's life change after Sharif's death?
8. What complications might arise with Anna and Sharif's marriage?
9. How does Tareq offer to help Amal in Chapter 21?
10. Why did Ibrahim Nassif al-Wardani assassinate Prime Minister Ghali?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)