|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Sharif and his uncle intend to establish for their community?
(a) A mosque.
(b) A school.
(c) A library.
(d) A sports league.
2. Who is Hasna?
(a) An Egyptian police officer symapthetic to the British.
(b) Sharif's first wife.
(c) The maid given to Anna by Zeinab.
(d) Isabel's new daughter.
3. Why does Anna decide to remain in Egypt in Chapter 17?
(a) She receives a love letter from Sharif.
(b) The weather is too rough to sail to England.
(c) She becomes involved with a political movement.
(d) Layla begs her to stay.
4. Where does Amal go after she discovers the museum is closed?
(c) New York.
(d) The mosque.
5. Which character offers to help Amal with her community work?
6. How many days must Anna sleep apart from her husband in Chapter 24?
7. What does Isabel create for Omar in Chapter 28?
(a) A portait of 'Omar and Amal in the garden.
(b) A web page about his political activities.
(c) An Egyptian dinner.
(d) A tapestry of Isis.
8. What does Amal want to teach if she can re-open her school?
(b) The ancient stories.
(d) Political science.
9. Why is Anna's loom empty in Chapter 28?
(a) She fears the Imam will punish her for her work.
(b) Her work is complete and is being mounted for display.
(c) Shariff has asked her to remove her work from the loom.
(d) She has removed her work while in mourning.
10. What publication does Anna become involved with after her wedding?
(a) A start-up French/Arabic women's magazine.
(b) Al-Ahram Hebdo, a French-language weekly newspaper.
(c) Akhbar al-Adab, a political magazine.
(d) Akher Sa'a, a government owned weekly newspaper.
11. In "An End", what does Isabel want to show 'Omar?
(a) A statuette.
(b) The "missing" panel.
(c) The old Baroudi house.
(d) A black oval pebble.
12. What is tarab?
(a) A traditional Arabic wedding gift.
(b) A form of Arabic music.
(c) The highly ornate wedding gown.
(d) A type of Arabic dance.
13. What incident sparks a bloody shootout between British troops and the fellaheen?
(a) Pigeon shooting.
(b) A museum closing.
(c) The arrest of an Arabic woman.
(d) A terrorist bombing.
14. What good news does Anna receive from Sir Charles in Chapter 19?
(a) Great Britain will give Egypt its independence.
(b) He and Caroline are to be married in England.
(c) He is coming to the wedding.
(d) Urabi Pasha may be pardoned.
15. What odor does Isabel smell as she meets Umm Aya and Sheikh 'Isa?
(a) Sweet cakes.
(b) Orange blossom.
(c) Cinnamon incense.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Middle Eastern political group does Sharif oppose?
2. How is "little Sharif" related to Amal?
3. Why is the museum closed in Chapter 25?
4. Why does James Barrington turn down a diplomatic posting to Syria?
5. How does Amal honor Sharif in "An End?"
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)