|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character does Amal fear for in "An End?"
2. Which character offers to help Amal with her community work?
3. What gift does Sharif plan to give Anna on their wedding day?
(a) A diamond.
(b) An embroidered Egyptian silk gown.
4. What publication does Anna become involved with after her wedding?
(a) Akher Sa'a, a government owned weekly newspaper.
(b) Akhbar al-Adab, a political magazine.
(c) Al-Ahram Hebdo, a French-language weekly newspaper.
(d) A start-up French/Arabic women's magazine.
5. What does Anna paint in Chapter 28?
(a) Nur's garden.
(b) Sharif's portrait.
(c) The haramlek.
(d) Nur's portrait.
6. What does Layla feel has dominated the lives of her family members?
7. Which royal event does Anna attend in Chapter 17?
(a) The National Opera.
(b) Sheikh Muhammad 'Abdu's annual feast.
(c) Princess Nazli Fadhil's literary/political salon.
(d) Prince Yusuf Kamal's Oriental dance recital.
8. Why is Sharif cautious about greeting Dr. Milton Bey?
(a) He is concerned for Anna's safety.
(b) Being friendly to a British man might damage his reputation.
(c) Dr. Bey's patients have a high mortality rate.
(d) Dr. Bey might be a British spy.
9. Why are 'Am Abu el-Ma'ti and seventeen other men arrested in Chapter 26?
(a) They are suspects in the museum robbery.
(b) Because over fifty tourists have been murdered in Luxor.
(c) The British government suspects they are staging a coup.
(d) The Imam declares them to be infidels.
10. What does Anna happily reveal in Chapter 24?
(a) She has completed her work.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is going to London.
(d) Sharif has received a promotion.
11. Where does Amal go after she discovers the museum is closed?
(a) The mosque.
(b) New York.
12. Which Middle Eastern political group does Sharif oppose?
(b) Baath Party.
(d) The Tories.
13. What is Ahmad's gifting that Anna writes about in Chapter 24?
14. Which character does Isabel blame for putting the missing tapestry in her bag?
(a) Umm Aya.
15. How is "little Sharif" related to Amal?
(a) He is her grandson.
(b) He is her son.
(c) He is her godson.
(d) He is her nephew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does little Sharif grab that belongs to Amal?
2. Which political organization was 'Omar once connected with?
3. In Chapter 24, which character does Anna wish would visit her?
4. What controversial issues are discussed at the Ramadan dinner in Chapter 23?
5. Where does Sharif instruct Anna to take Nur if he dies?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)