|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days must Anna sleep apart from her husband in Chapter 24?
2. Which Oriental nation defeated Russia in 1905?
(b) Saudi Arabia.
3. In Chapter 26, which character gives the warning: "The knowledge of what's hidden is with God alone."
4. When is Anna supposed to meet Sharif's father?
(a) After they are married.
(b) After a formal banquet.
(c) At the formal banquet.
(d) On the day of the wedding.
5. What does Anna remove on May 17th, 1901?
(a) Her eyeglasses.
(b) Edward's wedding ring.
(c) Her Western shoes.
(d) Her Western clothing.
6. What does Isabel create for Omar in Chapter 28?
(a) An Egyptian dinner.
(b) A tapestry of Isis.
(c) A web page about his political activities.
(d) A portait of 'Omar and Amal in the garden.
7. Who is Hasna?
(a) The maid given to Anna by Zeinab.
(b) Isabel's new daughter.
(c) An Egyptian police officer symapthetic to the British.
(d) Sharif's first wife.
8. What has ten-year-old Ahmad memorized in Chapter 27?
(a) The Qur'an.
(b) The lyrics to a dozen British songs.
(c) The United States Constitution.
(d) Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata."
9. How does Amal honor Sharif in "An End?"
(a) She has a surah of the Qur'an chanted for Sharif.
(b) She paints his portrait.
(c) She begins to write his memoir.
(d) She vows to name her son after him.
10. What concern does Sheikh Muhammad 'Abdu have about the future of Palestine?
(a) The United Nations appears to support the relocation of the Jews.
(b) The United States is too large to oppose.
(c) The Arabs in Palestine are at risk for blending their culture.
(d) More and more Jews are buying land in Palestine.
11. How does the carriage driver in Chapter 23 offend Sharif?
(a) By refusing to talk to him.
(b) By referring to his house as "the house of the Englishwoman."
(c) By referring to his wife as an "English trophy."
(d) By driving off without offering him change for his fare.
12. Which Middle Eastern political group does Sharif oppose?
(b) Baath Party.
(c) The Tories.
13. What controversial issues are discussed at the Ramadan dinner in Chapter 23?
(a) The use of force during political protests and political ideals.
(b) The education of women and the use of the veil.
(c) The roles of religion and culture in government.
(d) The adoption of British customs and practices in government.
14. What does Anna happily reveal in Chapter 24?
(a) She has completed her work.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) Sharif has received a promotion.
(d) She is going to London.
15. What is tarab?
(a) The highly ornate wedding gown.
(b) A traditional Arabic wedding gift.
(c) A type of Arabic dance.
(d) A form of Arabic music.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Sharif plan to give Anna on their wedding day?
2. Why does Sharif buy Anna English-style trees to plant in their garden?
3. Which character does Isabel blame for putting the missing tapestry in her bag?
4. What English custom does Anna teach Nur?
5. Who is Zeinab?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)