|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Anna's loom empty in Chapter 28?
(a) She has removed her work while in mourning.
(b) Shariff has asked her to remove her work from the loom.
(c) She fears the Imam will punish her for her work.
(d) Her work is complete and is being mounted for display.
2. Which Middle Eastern political group does Sharif oppose?
(c) The Tories.
(d) Baath Party.
3. How does the carriage driver in Chapter 23 offend Sharif?
(a) By refusing to talk to him.
(b) By referring to his house as "the house of the Englishwoman."
(c) By referring to his wife as an "English trophy."
(d) By driving off without offering him change for his fare.
4. What publication does Anna become involved with after her wedding?
(a) Al-Ahram Hebdo, a French-language weekly newspaper.
(b) Akher Sa'a, a government owned weekly newspaper.
(c) A start-up French/Arabic women's magazine.
(d) Akhbar al-Adab, a political magazine.
5. What concern does Sheikh Muhammad 'Abdu have about the future of Palestine?
(a) The United Nations appears to support the relocation of the Jews.
(b) The Arabs in Palestine are at risk for blending their culture.
(c) The United States is too large to oppose.
(d) More and more Jews are buying land in Palestine.
6. Why must Sharif's community projects be privately funded?
(a) The Imam does not approve of his projects.
(b) Taxes are low because most citizens are poor.
(c) Cromer will not release money for culture or education.
(d) Most public funds are spent on the military.
7. What do Sharif and his uncle intend to establish for their community?
(a) A mosque.
(b) A sports league.
(c) A school.
(d) A library.
8. What nationality is Cromer?
9. Where does Sharif instruct Anna to take Nur if he dies?
(a) New York.
10. How are Isis and Osiris related?
(a) They are married.
(b) They are star-crossed lovers.
(c) They are arch enemies.
(d) They are brother and sister.
11. Which political organization was 'Omar once connected with?
(a) The Muslim Brotherhood.
(b) Palestine National Council.
(c) The Kefaya Movement.
(d) National Democratic Party.
12. In Chapter 26, what news does Isabel deliver to Amal over the phone?
(a) She has cancer.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She and 'Omar are engaged.
(d) She is moving back to Egypt.
13. What gift does Sharif plan to give Anna on their wedding day?
(c) A diamond.
(d) An embroidered Egyptian silk gown.
14. Which character offers to help Amal with her community work?
15. What is Ahmad's gifting that Anna writes about in Chapter 24?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does James Barrington turn down a diplomatic posting to Syria?
2. What does Layla feel has dominated the lives of her family members?
3. Why is Sharif cautious about greeting Dr. Milton Bey?
4. What English custom does Anna teach Nur?
5. What physical ailment sometimes prevents Sheikh 'Isa from working?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)