|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city does Anna visit with Lady Caroline Burke in January of 1900?
2. What happens to the car while Amal and Isabel are traveling to Amal's house?
(a) It has a flat tire.
(b) It overheats.
(c) The transmission dies.
(d) It is hit by a bus.
3. How are Amal and Isabel different?
(a) Amal is Jewish and Isabel is Palestinian.
(b) Isabel is Jewish and Amal is Palestinian.
(c) Amal is ten years older than Isabel.
(d) Isabel is ten years older than Amal.
4. Which Egyptian god did King Akhen Atun and Queen Nefertiti want to worship?
5. Who is Tareq 'Atiyya?
(a) The mechanic who repaired Amal's car.
(b) The leader of the student protests.
(c) One of Anna's assumed identities.
(d) Amal's father's friend's son.
6. What is the Nugb Hawa?
(a) The garden at St. Catherine's Monastery.
(b) A relic of the early church housed in St. Catherine's Monastery.
(c) The spire of St. Catherine's Monastery.
(d) The difficult, but beautiful path to St. Catherine's Monastery.
7. How did Sharif come to be head of the Baroudi family?
(a) His Uncle Mustafa is dead and his father is in hiding.
(b) His Uncle Mustafa and his father are both dead.
(c) His Uncle Mustafa is in political exile and his father is dead.
(d) His Uncle Mustafa is in political exile and his father is in hiding.
8. Which character helps Anna learn Arabic?
9. Who is Sharif?e
(a) Layla's husband.
(b) Layla's father.
(c) Layla's uncle.
(d) Layla's brother.
10. Which sea does Anna view on the way to Sinai?
(a) The Red Sea.
(b) The Black Sea.
(c) The Dead Sea.
(d) The Arabian Sea.
11. How long did Sharif's first marriage last?
(a) Six years.
(b) A year.
(c) Three years.
(d) Six months.
12. What item of Anna's does Amal find?
(a) Her basket.
(b) Her scarf.
(c) Her journal.
(d) Her house.
13. What does Professor Yusuf claim brings meaning to life?
14. What are Sir Charles' views on the occupation of Egypt?
(a) He vigorously assists the agency in maintaining the occupation.
(b) He is in favor of the occupation.
(c) He accepts the occupation as part of the natural order.
(d) He opposes the occupation.
15. What is the haramlek?
(a) The part of an Egyptian house occupied and governed by women.
(b) A latticework screen used in many Egyptian households.
(c) A type of Egyptian hammock.
(d) A type of headgear worn by Egyptian men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Amal sleep poorly the night she reads about Anna and Sharif in the garden outside St. Catherine's Monastery?
2. What group is Omar rumored to be associated with?
3. How does 'Who's Who" describe Omar?
4. Why does Anna go to Alexandria in Chapter 6?
5. Which character receives a letter from Anna describing her meeting with Layla?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)