|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which mentally challenged character does Isabel visit in Chapter 5?
2. Why does Amal sleep poorly the night she reads about Anna and Sharif in the garden outside St. Catherine's Monastery?
(a) She drank too much tea while reading.
(b) She hears the shouts of protestors in the street below.
(c) She is wondering what will happen next to Anna.
(d) She is thinking about meeting Irving in London.
3. What game are Professor Yusuf and Mahgoub al-Tilmisani playing in the Atelier 'am Ghazzali?
4. What is the mashrabiyya?
(a) A type of headgear worn by Egyptian men.
(b) A latticework screen used in many Egyptian households.
(c) The part of an Egyptian house occupied and governed by women.
(d) A type of Egyptian hammock.
5. By what famous landmark does Anna have a picnic?
(a) The Citadel.
(b) St. Catherine's Monastery.
(c) The Great Pyramid.
(d) The Sphinx
6. What is torn down to modernize Egypt?
(a) Historical landmarks.
(b) A mosque.
(c) Old buildings.
7. What happens to Edward in Chapter 3?
(a) He cannot adapt to civillan life and leaves Anna.
(b) He is redeployed overseas.
(c) He suffers from the psychological effects of war and is institutionalized.
(d) He suffers from the psychological effects of war and dies.
8. In "An End of a Beginning", why does the mechanic refuse payment for his services?
(a) He is entranced by Isabel's light blue eyes.
(b) He wants Amal to introduce him to Isabel.
(c) He is too proud to be perceived as poor by a foreigner.
(d) He is Amal's cousin.
9. Where does Isabel plan to go for the millennium celebration?
(b) New York.
10. Why did 'Urabi Basha lead a revolt?
(a) He wanted to control Palestine.
(b) He wanted a constitution for Egypt.
(c) He was angry that Israel forced Palestinians out of their lands.
(d) He wanted to be ruler of Egypt.
11. What does Sharif give Anna the night they sit in the garden outside St. Catherine's Monastery?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A blue journal.
(c) A ring.
(d) A kiss on her hand.
12. What does Amal discover that matches one of Omar's possessions?
(a) A green journal.
(b) A blue journal.
(c) A watercolor painting.
(d) A Pharaonic tapestry.
13. What item of Anna's does Amal find?
(a) Her house.
(b) Her basket.
(c) Her journal.
(d) Her scarf.
14. While on their way to Amal's house, what do Amal and Isabel see that frightens them?
(a) Fires being set to schools and a clinic.
(b) Three bodies of bound, bloodied peasants lying on the side of the road.
(c) Three bound, bloodied peasants being corralled roughly by the authorities.
(d) The authorities beating a group of student protestors.
15. What does Anna decide to do at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) Call Emily.
(b) Reunite with her husband.
(c) Educate herself about the local culture.
(d) Return to England.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Sharif's first marriage last?
2. How does Tareq offend Amal?
3. While at the Atelier 'am Ghazzali, what empire does Arwa compare to the United States?
4. Where was Anna's husband stationed while fighting in the war?
5. Who is Armand Demange?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)