|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sheikh Salim ibn Husayn offer Anna and Sharif in Chapter 15?
(a) A ride to Mt. Sinai.
(b) His third wife.
(c) His hospitality.
(d) His camels.
2. What has the house in Amal's dream become?
(a) A museum.
(b) A morgue.
(c) A school.
(d) A hospital.
3. Who is Armand Demange?
(a) A policeman in Cairo.
(b) Head of the Mustafa family.
(c) The French identity Anna wants to assume as she travels to Sinai.
(d) A Frenchman Anna meets on the train to Suez.
4. How long is Husni in jail?
(a) Three nights.
(b) One year.
(c) Three months.
(d) One night.
5. Which mentally challenged character does Isabel visit in Chapter 5?
6. Which sea does Anna view on the way to Sinai?
(a) The Red Sea.
(b) The Arabian Sea.
(c) The Black Sea.
(d) The Dead Sea.
7. What would Isabel like to create using Anna's journals?
(a) A painting.
(b) A film.
(c) A biography.
(d) A sculpture.
8. Why does Ahmad leave Palestine and return to Egypt?
(a) He loses his land when Israel is unified in 1948.
(b) His uncle offers him a job in his shop.
(c) His father is dying.
(d) His mother is dying.
9. Who insists on accompanying Anna to Sinai?
10. How does Husni like to solve problems?
(a) By fighting.
(b) With a gun.
(c) By approaching the head of the family.
(d) Through discussion.
11. What does Sir Charles dislike?
12. Where is Amal al-Ghamrawi when she has her terrifying dream?
(b) Saudi Arabia.
(c) New York.
13. By what famous landmark does Anna have a picnic?
(a) The Sphinx
(b) The Great Pyramid.
(c) The Citadel.
(d) St. Catherine's Monastery.
14. What does Isabel announce is happening to her mother in Chapter 4?
(a) Her mother is undergoing chemotherapy.
(b) Her mother is dying.
(c) Her mother has left her father.
(d) Her mother will join them the next day.
15. What is the mashrabiyya?
(a) The part of an Egyptian house occupied and governed by women.
(b) A type of Egyptian hammock.
(c) A latticework screen used in many Egyptian households.
(d) A type of headgear worn by Egyptian men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Anna's captors sent to sleep?
2. What does Amal discover that matches one of Omar's possessions?
3. What do Amal and Isabel discover carved into the baptismal font at the Mu'allaqah?
4. Who is Sharif?e
5. Which character receives letters from Anna detailing her arrival in Alexandria?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)