|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character proves to be a helpful friend to Anna in Alexandria?
2. What is torn down to modernize Egypt?
(a) Historical landmarks.
(b) A mosque.
(d) Old buildings.
3. Why does Anna visit the South Kensington Museum?
(a) To admire the paintings of Frederick Lewis.
(b) To admire jewelry from the Russian Tsars.
(c) To study Egyptian artifacts.
(d) To study the paintings of Claude Monet.
4. What has Isabel brought with her from New York?
(a) A letter.
(b) An album.
(c) A book.
(d) A trunk.
5. What does Mu'allaqah mean?
6. How does Amal compare Americans to Britons in Chapter 7?
(a) Both cultures refuse to adapt to new languages.
(b) Both cultures want things done their way.
(c) Both cultures are too quick to embrace change.
(d) Both cultures are lazy.
7. What has the house in Amal's dream become?
(a) A school.
(b) A hospital.
(c) A morgue.
(d) A museum.
8. What talent makes Omar famous?
9. What city does Anna visit with Lady Caroline Burke in January of 1900?
10. By what famous landmark does Anna have a picnic?
(a) The Great Pyramid.
(b) St. Catherine's Monastery.
(c) The Sphinx
(d) The Citadel.
11. Which country rules Egypt in Chapter 6?
(a) Great Britain.
(b) The United States.
12. How is Layla related to Amal?
(a) She is the first cousin of Amal's grandmother.
(b) They are not related.
(c) She is Amal's grandmother.
(d) She is Amal's great-aunt.
13. Which character receives a letter from Anna describing her meeting with Layla?
(b) Sir Charles.
14. Where is Amal's house located?
15. How long is Husni in jail?
(a) Three nights.
(b) One night.
(c) One year.
(d) Three months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Armand Demange?
2. What would Isabel like to create using Anna's journals?
3. What language do Layla and Anna have in common?
4. What does the black column in the ancient church that Anna visits represent?
5. When Anna wakes in Chapter 12, where does she feel like she has been placed?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)