|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does 'Citoyenne' begin?
2. What position does Eugene apprentice as?
3. Where does Agathe routinely visit in 'Citoyenne'?
4. Who does Tallien tell Rose that he is in love with in 'Citoyenne'?
5. Who is the daughter of the woman who Rose moves in with in 'Citoyenne'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reunion of Rose and Eugene after having been separated for awhile in 'Citoyenne'?
2. What big favor does Rose ask of her friends, Princess Amalia and her brother, Frederick in 'Citoyenne'?
3. Why is Alexandre so angry when he learns that Rose has sent the children to England in 'Citoyenne'?
4. What does Rose learn about the profits from the family's plantation business?
5. Why are her finances a constant subject of concern for Rose throughout her life?
6. Why does Rose not terminate Agathe even though she feels she is spying on her?
7. What is the particular sadness Rose feels while leaving the island in 'Madam'?
8. What is the encounter between Rose and William Browden like in 'Madam'?
9. What ploy does Alexandre use in an attempt to change Rose's attitude toward him in their legal matters?
10. What is Hortense's reaction to Alexandre upon her return to Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the conflicts of the novel "The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B". What are some examples of conflict in the novel? How do these conflicts involve and affect Rose? How are these conflicts resolved?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the career of the author of the novel "The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B". Sandra Gulland. What other works has she written? Does she write in other genres? Is she respected in the literary world? What are some of the characteristics of her writing?
Essay Topic 3
What struggles and obstacles does Rose face throughout the novel? How do they affect her mentally and emotionally? Is she able to overcome them? If so, how?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)