|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is William Browden?
2. What news does Eugene bring Rose about Alexandre in 'Citoyenne'?
3. What does a voice instruct Rose to do in her vision in 'Citoyenne'?
4. What is Rose's husband's position?
5. How does Hortense feel about her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Alexandre so angry when he learns that Rose has sent the children to England in 'Citoyenne'?
2. What is the particular sadness Rose feels while leaving the island in 'Madam'?
3. Why is Rose afraid for Alexandre regarding his new position in 'Citoyenne'?
4. Why does Rose leave the island prior to an invasion by the English?
5. Why does Rose not terminate Agathe even though she feels she is spying on her?
6. What does Rose learn about the profits from the family's plantation business?
7. Why does Rose feel compelled to move out of her home in 'Madam'?
8. What ploy does Alexandre use in an attempt to change Rose's attitude toward him in their legal matters?
9. Why does Alexandre have Eugene removed from the convent without Rose's knowledge?
10. What big favor does Rose ask of her friends, Princess Amalia and her brother, Frederick in 'Citoyenne'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B". Who are Rose's family members? What sort of relationship does she have with each one? Is family important to Rose? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the conclusion of the novel "The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B". What happens at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? Does the ending stay true to the real historical events? Why might Gulland have chosen to end the story where she does?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of adultery in the novel. How does Rose feel about Alexandre's extramarital affairs? Why does she agree to look after his illegitimate children? What compels Rose to take on a lover of her own? How does Rose's father's dalliances affect her?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)