|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who names Rose's daughter?
2. Why will Claire not allow Manette to go to Paris?
3. Who tells others that Rose has gone to a fortune teller?
4. Whose portrait is Rose having difficulty finishing in 'Vicomtese'?
5. What has a strong presence in Rose's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the novel " The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B" begin?
2. How has Rose's parent's marriage colored Rose's opinion of marriage?
3. Describe Rose's family.
4. What preparations does Rose note about her wedding day?
5. What is Rose's punishment for visiting the fortune teller?
6. With whom does Rose first fall in love?
7. What news does Rose's Uncle Tascher bring one day in 'Mademoiselle'?
8. What devastating news does Mimi tell Rose about Alexandre?
9. Why is Rose chosen to be the daughter who is betrothed to Alexandre?
10. Who is the son of the Marquis and why is he so intent on marrying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the conflicts of the novel "The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B". What are some examples of conflict in the novel? How do these conflicts involve and affect Rose? How are these conflicts resolved?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Rose as a mother. Is Rose happy as a mother? Does she get along with her children? What struggles has she had to overcome in connection with her children? When have the children been the source of conflict between Alexandre and Rose?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of suspicion in the novel "The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B". What are some examples of suspicious thoughts or behavior in the novel? Why might hte setting of the novel produce more suspicion than a less turbulent time period?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)