|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What revelation does Mimi have for Rose in 'Vicomtese'?
2. Which of Rose's uncles arrives in January of 1778?
3. Who is Rose's daughter?
4. Where does Rose go to meet fascinating people?
5. How does Rose try to tell the future in 'Mademoiselle'?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alexandre insult Rose in a letter in 'Vicomtese'?
2. What preparations does Rose note about her wedding day?
3. Why does Rose's Aunt Desiree make alterations to Rose's appearance?
4. Who is the son of the Marquis and why is he so intent on marrying?
5. What is Alexandre's position on his affair with Laure?
6. How does the novel " The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B" begin?
7. Describe Rose's family.
8. What is Rose's first perception of Paris?
9. What is Rose's punishment for visiting the fortune teller?
10. With whom does Rose first fall in love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Rose and Lazare. Under what circumstances do they meet? Does Rose feel any guilt for being with Lazare? Why or why not? How does the affair end?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the marriage between Rose and Alexandre. What does Rose think of Alexandre before they marry? Does her opinion of him change as the years go on? How does Alexandre treat Rose during their marriage? What leads Rose to her decision to separate from Alexandre?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of adultery in the novel. How does Rose feel about Alexandre's extramarital affairs? Why does she agree to look after his illegitimate children? What compels Rose to take on a lover of her own? How does Rose's father's dalliances affect her?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)