|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rose go to meet fascinating people?
2. How does Rose try to tell the future in 'Mademoiselle'?
3. Where does Uncle Trascher live?
4. What does Joseph urge Rose to do in 'Vicomtese'?
5. What is the name of the daughter who Justine gives birth to in 1781?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rose's first perception of Paris?
2. How is it evident that Rose is homesick?
3. Why is Rose chosen to be the daughter who is betrothed to Alexandre?
4. Who is the son of the Marquis and why is he so intent on marrying?
5. How has Rose's parent's marriage colored Rose's opinion of marriage?
6. With whom does Rose first fall in love?
7. What are some of the places or events that Rose attends in an attempt to stave off boredom?
8. What news does Rose's Uncle Tascher bring one day in 'Mademoiselle'?
9. What does Rose learn from a fortune teller in 'Mademoiselle'?
10. What is Rose's punishment for visiting the fortune teller?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B". Who are Rose's family members? What sort of relationship does she have with each one? Is family important to Rose? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Rose's money problems in the novel. Why does Rose experience money problems? How does Alexandre and her father make her financial situation worse? What does Rose do to try and make some money? Is she successful?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Rose and Lazare. Under what circumstances do they meet? Does Rose feel any guilt for being with Lazare? Why or why not? How does the affair end?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)