|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Eugene bring Rose about Alexandre in 'Citoyenne'?
(a) He has been exiled.
(b) He has been executed.
(c) He has been arrested.
(d) He has escaped to England.
2. Where does Marie's daughter go to stay in 'Madam' in order to give Marie a chance to grieve?
(a) A grandmother's home.
(b) A boarding school.
(c) An aunt's home.
(d) A convent.
3. Why does Rose's mother think that Mimi should be sold?
(a) She is too old to work anymore.
(b) She cannot have any more babies.
(c) An unhappy slave is a dangerous slave.
(d) She is frail from illness.
4. Which expense does Alexandre pay for, relieving Rose of further financial burden in 'Madam'?
(a) The butcher's pay.
(b) The rent on her chateau.
(c) The wet nurse's pay.
(d) The tutor for their daughter.
5. What favor does the Comtesse de Montmorin ask of Rose in 'Citoyenne'?
(a) To intervene on her imprisoned husband's behalf.
(b) To host a weekly salon.
(c) To borrow some jewels.
(d) To introduce her to eligible men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What conclusion can be made when a person in prison has been called to be tried?
2. Who is Fanny's son?
3. For what purpose does Rose employ Marie de Lannoy in 'Citoyenne'?
4. Where is Rose's family's plantation located?
5. Who is William Browden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the turmoil in France have on Rose's life in 'Citoyenne'?
2. What does Rose learn about the profits from the family's plantation business?
3. Why are her finances a constant subject of concern for Rose throughout her life?
4. Why does Rose leave the island prior to an invasion by the English?
5. What is Hortense's reaction to Alexandre upon her return to Paris?
6. What big favor does Rose ask of her friends, Princess Amalia and her brother, Frederick in 'Citoyenne'?
7. Why does Rose bear such guilt over Amalia and Frederick's failed second attempt to escape to England?
8. What is the situation regarding Rose's filing for a legal separation from Alexandre?
9. Why does Claire believe that Mimi should be sold?
10. Who is Emilie and what role does she have in Rose's family?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)