Part I, Mademoiselle
• The story opens on June 23, 1777, in Trois-Islets, Martinico, with a diary entry by a girl named Rose who will one day become Josephine Bonaparte.
• Rose writes in a diary given to her by her Aunt Desiree who lives in Paris and Rose bemoans the fact that she is thirteen on this day and there is no hope of a suitor to marry her.
• Rose lives with her parents, Claire and Joseph, her two sisters, Catherine and Manette, and her grandmother.
• With a slave named Mimi, Rose slips away to see a fortune teller who tells Rose that she will have an unhappy marriage and that she will one day be queen.
• Catherine also visits the fortune teller who tells her that she will die before her next birthday and Catherine dies soon after.
• Rose's Uncle Tascher arrives at the house to announce that Desiree's godson...
This section contains 1,321 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)