|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was considering the qualities necessary for a cultural leap in Chapter 44?
2. With whom did Fischel's daughter share a friendship in Chapter 35?
3. Which of the following were synonymous to scientiﬁc and beneﬁcial in Chapter 61?
4. Whom did Diotima humble with objections in Chapter 66?
5. What kind of skirts did Diotima have after her adventure in Chapter 68?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power in society is a prevailing theme in The Man Without Qualities. Musil frequently refers to that theme, painting the picture of the monarchy's last days in the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the need to preserve order in a shaken world. Which characters appear honest and which appear corrupt. Why? Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they are initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Musil describes? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the depiction of the two female characters in the book, Bonadea and Clarisse. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through their examples?
Essay Topic 3
Musil employs simple, minimalist, highly-controlled, meticulous yet effective language in contrast with complex language. Both styles employ powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique that it embodies.
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)