|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Diotoma's friend consider to be intolerant in Chapter 65?
2. In Chapter 65, who was back and delighted to put himself at Diotima's disposal rather immediately?
3. What type of women were mentioned at the campaign in Chapter 40?
4. Which of the following did a journalist establish in Chapter 37?
5. Which of the following were the intelligentsia attracted to in Chapter 47?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Musil employs simple, minimalist, highly-controlled, meticulous yet effective language in contrast with complex language. Both styles employ powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique that it embodies.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in The Man Without Qualities. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Power in society is a prevailing theme in The Man Without Qualities. Musil frequently refers to that theme, painting the picture of the monarchy's last days in the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the need to preserve order in a shaken world. Which characters appear honest and which appear corrupt. Why? Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they are initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Musil describes? Explain.
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)