|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following were viewed in relation to each other in Chapter 45?
2. Who learned about the murderer through newspapers in Chapter 38?
3. Who appeared to be more mature by Chapter 64?
4. Which of the following were synonymous to scientiﬁc and beneﬁcial in Chapter 61?
5. Who was the teenager mentioned in Chapter 44?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Musil's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances in which humor is apparent, and explain why the author used humor where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Murder and violence appear throughout The Man Without Qualities. Who commits murder? Who is violent? In what ways are characters violent or abusive? What is their effect on other characters and their lives? Do those characters change over time? Why or why not? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
The Man Without Qualities is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery--powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture that we form in our minds of the story that we read. It can involve visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, and kinesthetic senses. The author uses imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate with in our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)