|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who of the following was most idealistic about the mystery that Musil wrote about in Chapter 49?
2. Which of the following types of meeting was held in Chapter 52?
3. Which of the following was Moosbrugger on trial for in Chapter 53?
4. What did the wife consider to be an exceptionally modern occupation in Chapter 51?
5. Who developed a better friendship in in Chapter 67?
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in The Man Without Qualities takes on very different forms. For example, Bonadea is a mistress who exerts power in the bedroom, while Clarisse is a wife whose abhorrence for mundane life drives her husband mad. Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings in The Man Without Qualities. What is its overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular cultural events. How do those even if imaginary settings, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use those places in The Man Without Qualities?
Essay Topic 3
Musil employs simple, minimalist, highly-controlled, meticulous yet effective language in contrast with complex language. Both styles employ powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique that it embodies.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)