|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the wife consider to be an exceptionally modern occupation in Chapter 51?
2. What was one of Moosbrugger's faults mentioned in Chapter 60?
3. Which of the following was a common reply given out by the Count in Chapter 56?
4. If a person had a particularly severe mental illness, which of the following best described the legal difference associated with that type of condition as mentioned in Chapter 60?
5. Who was the teenager mentioned in Chapter 44?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Ulrich. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The Man Without Qualities is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery--powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture that we form in our minds of the story that we read. It can involve visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, and kinesthetic senses. The author uses imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate with in our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in The Man Without Qualities. Cite at least two examples that you can identify in the book, and note why irony is exemplified.
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)