|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over what period of time had the person in Chapter 64 matured?
2. How did Ulrich react upon learning that he had been mentioned in the letter in Chapter 59?
3. Between whom of the following was there a rift in Chapter 66?
4. Who appeared to be more mature by Chapter 64?
5. What did Ulrich declare Diotima was doing in Chapter 68?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as demonstrated in The Man Without Qualities. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain their loneliness if any, and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Musil employs simple, minimalist, highly-controlled, meticulous yet effective language in contrast with complex language. Both styles employ powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique that it embodies.
Essay Topic 3
Murder and violence appear throughout The Man Without Qualities. Who commits murder? Who is violent? In what ways are characters violent or abusive? What is their effect on other characters and their lives? Do those characters change over time? Why or why not? Describe.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)