|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following were synonymous to scientiﬁc and beneﬁcial in Chapter 61?
2. Who were described as people who were violent and aggressive in Chapter 62?
3. Which of the following made the person mentioned in Chapter 48 famous?
4. What was likened to being the whole world in Chapter 41?
5. In Chapter 55, what did the foster boy revengefully do to Arnheim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in The Man Without Qualities. Cite at least two examples that you can identify in the book, and note why irony is exemplified.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Musil's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances in which humor is apparent, and explain why the author used humor where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Technology is a recurring theme in The Man Without Qualities. What advancements occur in technology? Describe some of the tools, equipment, and changes. How accurate are they? Do those changes result in positive or negative consequences? Discuss.
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)