|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Fischel's daughter share a friendship in Chapter 35?
2. In Chapter 56, who of the following sent a letter about Ulrich?
3. According to Musil, which of the following was in the feminine sphere?
4. What particular characteristic(s) did the identity question relate to in Chapter 39?
5. What topic was under discussion in Chapter 66?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ulrich and Bonadea are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Ulrich had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Bonadea had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the title, The Man Without Qualities? How does it relate to the protagonist Ulrich and in particular to the main theme of the book? What did the author mean by titling the book The Man Without Qualities? Cite an example from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Murder and violence appear throughout The Man Without Qualities. Who commits murder? Who is violent? In what ways are characters violent or abusive? What is their effect on other characters and their lives? Do those characters change over time? Why or why not? Describe.
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)