|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following were being locked up into systems by the violent people mentioned in Chapter 62?
2. Who of the following was known as His Highness in Chapter 56?
3. Which of the following made the person mentioned in Chapter 48 famous?
4. What was the name of Fischel's daughter?
5. Who were described as people who were violent and aggressive in Chapter 62?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Musil discusses both patriotism and war vividly in The Man Without Qualities. Find some examples of same in the book, and discuss the effect of those topics on Ulrich's character.
Essay Topic 2Power in society is a prevailing theme in The Man Without Qualities. Musil frequently refers to that theme, painting the picture of the monarchy's last days in the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the need to preserve order in a shaken world. Which characters appear honest and which appear corrupt. Why? Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they are initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Musil describes? Explain.
Essay Topic 3The role of women in The Man Without Qualities takes on very different forms. For example, Bonadea is a mistress who exerts power in the bedroom, while Clarisse is a wife whose abhorrence for mundane life drives her husband mad. Describe.
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)