|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Musil consider to be greater than mankind in Chapter 45?
2. Who was born in poverty with dirt coming up through the floorboards in Chapter 40?
3. What did the wife consider to be an exceptionally modern occupation in Chapter 51?
4. Who gave the incriminating story to the newspapers in Chapter 38?
5. Who learned about the murderer through newspapers in Chapter 38?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings in The Man Without Qualities. What is its overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular cultural events. How do those even if imaginary settings, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use those places in The Man Without Qualities?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the title, The Man Without Qualities? How does it relate to the protagonist Ulrich and in particular to the main theme of the book? What did the author mean by titling the book The Man Without Qualities? Cite an example from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in The Man Without Qualities. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)