|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Ulrich react upon learning that he had been mentioned in the letter in Chapter 59?
2. Who had improved castles in Chapter 68?
3. Who learned about the murderer through newspapers in Chapter 38?
4. In Chapter 52, who of the following sent Germans in Berlin for a report on Arnheim?
5. What did Musil consider to be greater than mankind in Chapter 45?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in The Man Without Qualities takes on very different forms. For example, Bonadea is a mistress who exerts power in the bedroom, while Clarisse is a wife whose abhorrence for mundane life drives her husband mad. Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Power in society is a prevailing theme in The Man Without Qualities. Musil frequently refers to that theme, painting the picture of the monarchy's last days in the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the need to preserve order in a shaken world. Which characters appear honest and which appear corrupt. Why? Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they are initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Musil describes? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Musil discusses both patriotism and war vividly in The Man Without Qualities. Find some examples of same in the book, and discuss the effect of those topics on Ulrich's character.
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)