|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 55, what did the foster boy revengefully do to Arnheim?
2. In Chapter 55, which of the following was noted as the adopted boy's means of employment upon having grown up?
3. What type of women were mentioned at the campaign in Chapter 40?
4. Which of the following were the intelligentsia attracted to in Chapter 47?
5. Who of the following was the wife mentioned in Chapter 51?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the depiction of the two female characters in the book, Bonadea and Clarisse. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through their examples?
Essay Topic 2
The "hovering life" is a theme that Musil introduces in the Man Without Qualities. What does that phrase mean? How does it relate to science and to the mystical? What does Musil ultimately say about intuition and analysis through the characters of Ulrich and Bonadea? What is the importance of that discovery and the characters' role?
Essay Topic 3
Musil employs simple, minimalist, highly-controlled, meticulous yet effective language in contrast with complex language. Both styles employ powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique that it embodies.
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)