|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gave the incriminating story to the newspapers in Chapter 38?
2. Who shook off a spell in Chapter 46?
3. Who developed a better friendship in in Chapter 67?
4. Which of the following seemed different about the presentation of facts in Chapter 64?
5. Who of the following was known as His Highness in Chapter 56?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Musil's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances in which humor is apparent, and explain why the author used humor where he did.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the title, The Man Without Qualities? How does it relate to the protagonist Ulrich and in particular to the main theme of the book? What did the author mean by titling the book The Man Without Qualities? Cite an example from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The "hovering life" is a theme that Musil introduces in the Man Without Qualities. What does that phrase mean? How does it relate to science and to the mystical? What does Musil ultimately say about intuition and analysis through the characters of Ulrich and Bonadea? What is the importance of that discovery and the characters' role?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)