|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who developed a better friendship in in Chapter 67?
2. What topic was under discussion in Chapter 66?
3. Which of the following did Musil cite as having been affected by bourgeois education in Chapter 46?
4. Who was famous in Chapter 48?
5. Who was the little black boy whom Arnheim took in Chapter 55?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as demonstrated in The Man Without Qualities. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain their loneliness if any, and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in The Man Without Qualities. Cite at least two examples that you can identify in the book, and note why irony is exemplified.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings in The Man Without Qualities. What is its overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular cultural events. How do those even if imaginary settings, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use those places in The Man Without Qualities?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)