|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following campaigns mentioned in Chapter 35 was associated with Austrian patriotism?
2. Who were described as people who were violent and aggressive in Chapter 62?
3. Whom did Diotima humble with objections in Chapter 66?
4. Who appeared to be more mature by Chapter 64?
5. What did Ulrich declare Diotima was doing in Chapter 68?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in The Man Without Qualities. Cite at least two examples that you can identify in the book, and note why irony is exemplified.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as demonstrated in The Man Without Qualities. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain their loneliness if any, and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
There are many autobiographical features in The Man Without Qualities that are believed to belong to Musil. Which aspects appear invented, and which characters seem modeled or inspired by real people in Musil's life? Conduct some research and discuss.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)