|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who of the following was the wife mentioned in Chapter 51?
2. Which of the following were synonymous to scientiﬁc and beneﬁcial in Chapter 61?
3. In Chapter 55, which of the following was noted as the adopted boy's means of employment upon having grown up?
4. What did the wife consider to be an exceptionally modern occupation in Chapter 51?
5. How did the little boy do in foster care with Arnheim in Chapter 55?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Ulrich. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
There are many autobiographical features in The Man Without Qualities that are believed to belong to Musil. Which aspects appear invented, and which characters seem modeled or inspired by real people in Musil's life? Conduct some research and discuss.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the title, The Man Without Qualities? How does it relate to the protagonist Ulrich and in particular to the main theme of the book? What did the author mean by titling the book The Man Without Qualities? Cite an example from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)