|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was the Collateral Campaign inclusive of in Chapter 44?
2. Which of the following were the intelligentsia attracted to in Chapter 47?
3. Whom of the following did Ulrich visit in Chapter 35?
4. To which of the following did the adopted boy react intensely in Chapter 55?
5. Which of the following did the author turn out to be in Chapter 67?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as demonstrated in The Man Without Qualities. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain their loneliness if any, and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the title, The Man Without Qualities? How does it relate to the protagonist Ulrich and in particular to the main theme of the book? What did the author mean by titling the book The Man Without Qualities? Cite an example from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in The Man Without Qualities. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)