|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 52, who of the following sent Germans in Berlin for a report on Arnheim?
2. Who of the following was not included in the important political meetings in Chapter 56?
3. In Chapter 55, which of the following was noted as the adopted boy's means of employment upon having grown up?
4. Whom of the following did Ulrich visit in Chapter 35?
5. Which of the following were synonymous to scientiﬁc and beneﬁcial in Chapter 61?
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in The Man Without Qualities takes on very different forms. For example, Bonadea is a mistress who exerts power in the bedroom, while Clarisse is a wife whose abhorrence for mundane life drives her husband mad. Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Musil employs simple, minimalist, highly-controlled, meticulous yet effective language in contrast with complex language. Both styles employ powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique that it embodies.
Essay Topic 3
Technology is a recurring theme in The Man Without Qualities. What advancements occur in technology? Describe some of the tools, equipment, and changes. How accurate are they? Do those changes result in positive or negative consequences? Discuss.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)