|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was Robert Musil's nationality?
2. How many chapters are included in the two-volume set of The Man Without Qualities?
3. With whom did Ulrich discuss the crime in Chapter 30?
4. Why was the woman in Chapter 15 sad about her husband?
5. Which of the following was a factor that led Ulrich's rescuer into extramarital affairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Musil think about Moosbrugger's personal life that contributed to his behavior in Chapter 61?
2. What did Musil notice about the men at the event in Chapter 72?
3. What did Ulrich learn about events and characters in Chapter 39?
4. Describe Leo Fischel who is mentioned in Chapter 35.
5. What made Arnheim famous in Chapter 48?
6. Describe Ulrich's observations of the political climate in Chapter 21.
7. Describe the love interest that friends pushed Ulrich to make in Chapter 22.
8. Describe Leona.
9. How did the author show that the nouveau rich had improved their castles in Chapter 68?
10. What did Ulrich think about engineering in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in The Man Without Qualities takes on very different forms. For example, Bonadea is a mistress who exerts power in the bedroom, while Clarisse is a wife whose abhorrence for mundane life drives her husband mad. Describe.
Essay Topic 2
There are many autobiographical features in The Man Without Qualities that are believed to belong to Musil. Which aspects appear invented, and which characters seem modeled or inspired by real people in Musil's life? Conduct some research and discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Select a character whom Ulrich grows to like and become familiar with. How does their relationship evolve?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)