|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose sanity was under question in Chapter 32?
2. According to Musil, which of the following characterized the previous Century?
3. In Chapter 6, who found Ulrich in a dreadful condition and sent him home in a cab?
4. Whom of the following did Ulrich meet in Chapter 20?
5. Whom of the following was Ulrich apparently better at implementation than in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What point did Diotima want to make with Ulrich concerning Arnheim in Chapter 66?
2. What was the rumor about Arnheim in Chapter 26, and how did that reflect fears within the region?
3. Why was Clarisse sad about Walter by Chapter 15 and 16?
4. Describe Diotima and Ulrich's relationship in Chapter 67.
5. Describe Musil's view on fights and the effect that it had on Ulrich in Chapters 7 and 8.
6. Describe Leona and Ulrich's relationship.
7. Describe the incident that occured in Chapter 1 that affected Ulrich.
8. What did Rachel do for Soliman in Chapter 44?
9. What was considered to be a good sign in Chapter 47 regarding Diotima?
10. Describe Moosbrugger's reaction to public fame in Chapter 54.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many autobiographical features in The Man Without Qualities that are believed to belong to Musil. Which aspects appear invented, and which characters seem modeled or inspired by real people in Musil's life? Conduct some research and discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Ulrich and Bonadea are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Ulrich had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Bonadea had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 3
Murder and violence appear throughout The Man Without Qualities. Who commits murder? Who is violent? In what ways are characters violent or abusive? What is their effect on other characters and their lives? Do those characters change over time? Why or why not? Describe.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)