|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom of the following did Ulrich visit in Chapter 21?
2. According to Ulrich in Chapter 11, what was the paradoxical power of engineering?
3. Who was Ulrich's lover in Chapter 5?
4. Which of the following cases did Ulrich discuss with his acquaintance in Chapter 20?
5. Who influenced Ulrich in his study?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Arnheim say about the arts in Chapter 40?
2. Describe Moosbrugger's reaction to public fame in Chapter 54.
3. What did Musil think about Moosbrugger's personal life that contributed to his behavior in Chapter 61?
4. Describe the love interest that friends pushed Ulrich to make in Chapter 22.
5. Describe Diotima and Ulrich's relationship in Chapter 67.
6. In Chapter 30 during Moosbrugger's trial, what was brought to light as having strange effects?
7. During his trial, what conclusions did the judge draw about Moosbrugger?
8. Describe Diotoma and Count Leinsdorf's relationship.
9. Why did Soliman get jealous and angry when he grew up?
10. How was Klementine's relationship with her husband in Chapter 51?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many autobiographical features in The Man Without Qualities that are believed to belong to Musil. Which aspects appear invented, and which characters seem modeled or inspired by real people in Musil's life? Conduct some research and discuss.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in The Man Without Qualities. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Select a character whom Ulrich grows to like and become familiar with. How does their relationship evolve?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)