|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Musil, which of the following characterized the previous Century?
2. What was the position in the country that was held by Diotoma's husband in Chapter 25?
3. According to Musil, which of the following types of behaviors were expected of women?
4. Where did Ulrich spend time with his lover?
5. Who did Ulrich meet and become attracted to in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ulrich and Diotima's interaction in Chapter 69.
2. Describe Diotima's change into maturity at the beginning of Chapter 25.
3. Why did Ulrich separate himself from Arnheim in Chapter 42?
4. How did the author show that the nouveau rich had improved their castles in Chapter 68?
5. During his trial, what conclusions did the judge draw about Moosbrugger?
6. Describe Soliman.
7. What did Ulrich think about engineering in Chapter 11?
8. Describe Diotima and Ulrich's relationship in Chapter 67.
9. Describe Musil's view on fights and the effect that it had on Ulrich in Chapters 7 and 8.
10. Describe Musil's literary style.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in The Man Without Qualities. Cite at least two examples that you can identify in the book, and note why irony is exemplified.
Essay Topic 2
Musil employs simple, minimalist, highly-controlled, meticulous yet effective language in contrast with complex language. Both styles employ powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique that it embodies.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Ulrich. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)