|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of woman was Ulrich's rescuer?
2. Why was the woman in Chapter 15 sad about her husband?
3. Which of the following traits did Ulrich seem most enamored by in his lover?
4. According to Musil, which of the following characterized the previous Century?
5. Which of the following did the man who Ulrich considered to be of importance turn out to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about Ulrich's colleagues made him desperate to leave the profession of engineering in Chapter 14?
2. Why did Ulrich separate himself from Arnheim in Chapter 42?
3. Describe Musil's observations of old age and youth in Chapter 45.
4. Describe Musil's view on the rational and exact in Chapter 61.
5. Describe Rachel.
6. Describe Diotima and Ulrich's relationship in Chapter 67.
7. What was the rumor about Arnheim in Chapter 26, and how did that reflect fears within the region?
8. Describe the circumstances that made Musil move to Germany initially.
9. What did Musil say about morality in Chapter 50?
10. What did Ulrich learn about events and characters in Chapter 39?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Musil's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances in which humor is apparent, and explain why the author used humor where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Musil discusses both patriotism and war vividly in The Man Without Qualities. Find some examples of same in the book, and discuss the effect of those topics on Ulrich's character.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Ulrich. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)