|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did the person whom Ulrich met leave him with in Chapter 20?
2. Where did Ulrich go after leaving the cavalry?
3. What affair ended in Chapter 33?
4. Which of the following types of commoner was Diotoma's husband?
5. What happened to Ulrich while he was out drinking in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What took Moosbrugger back into the public limelight in Chapter 53?
2. What did Rachel do for Soliman in Chapter 44?
3. Describe Leona.
4. Describe Arnheim.
5. Describe Arnheim and Diotima's relationship in Chapter 41.
6. Describe Ulrich's view of Napoleon in Chapter 9 and contrast it with the American view.
7. Describe Diotima's change into maturity at the beginning of Chapter 25.
8. Describe the incident that occured in Chapter 1 that affected Ulrich.
9. Describe Ulrich's lack of concern for Bonadea and its effect on their relationship in Chapter 29.
10. How did the Count handle his correspondence in Chapter 58?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The "hovering life" is a theme that Musil introduces in the Man Without Qualities. What does that phrase mean? How does it relate to science and to the mystical? What does Musil ultimately say about intuition and analysis through the characters of Ulrich and Bonadea? What is the importance of that discovery and the characters' role?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in The Man Without Qualities. Cite at least two examples that you can identify in the book, and note why irony is exemplified.
Essay Topic 3
Ulrich and Bonadea are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Ulrich had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Bonadea had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 1,648 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)