|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following cultural groups was not popular in Europe?
2. Which of the following was the War in which Musil served?
3. What type of communication did Ulrich find among the people whom he studied and worked with in Chapter 10?
4. Which of the following statements best describes what the Count said to Diotoma about her idea in Chapter 25?
5. What did the judge try to bring into question about the defendant in Chapter 30?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Musil say about morality in Chapter 50?
2. Describe the love interest that friends pushed Ulrich to make in Chapter 22.
3. Describe Ulrich's observations of the political climate in Chapter 21.
4. What did Musil notice about the men at the event in Chapter 72?
5. Describe Musil's literary style.
6. Describe what Clarisse shared about Lucy to Ulrich and Diotima in Chapter 70.
7. Describe Leona and Ulrich's relationship.
8. How did Ulrich's affair with Bonadea end in Chapter 34?
9. How was Klementine's relationship with her husband in Chapter 51?
10. How did the author show that the nouveau rich had improved their castles in Chapter 68?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Ulrich. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Technology is a recurring theme in The Man Without Qualities. What advancements occur in technology? Describe some of the tools, equipment, and changes. How accurate are they? Do those changes result in positive or negative consequences? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Musil discusses both patriotism and war vividly in The Man Without Qualities. Find some examples of same in the book, and discuss the effect of those topics on Ulrich's character.
This section contains 1,740 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)