|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the person whom people wanted Ulrich to meet in Chapter 22?
2. What did the judge try to bring into question about the defendant in Chapter 30?
3. Where did Ulrich go after leaving the cavalry?
4. Which of the following traits did Ulrich seem most enamored by in his lover?
5. Which of the following did Ulrich join after he finished school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Soliman get jealous and angry when he grew up?
2. What comparison did Ulrich make between Moosbrugger and his relationship with Bonadea?
3. In Chapter 36, what did a journalist establish, and how did it affect the Count?
4. How did the Count handle his correspondence in Chapter 58?
5. During his trial, what conclusions did the judge draw about Moosbrugger?
6. What was the rumor about Arnheim in Chapter 26, and how did that reflect fears within the region?
7. Describe Diotoma and Count Leinsdorf's relationship.
8. Describe Diotima's role at the 70th Jubilee Celebration of His Majesty in Chapter 71.
9. Describe Leona and Ulrich's relationship.
10. Describe Arnheim and Diotima's relationship in Chapter 41.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Man Without Qualities is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery--powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture that we form in our minds of the story that we read. It can involve visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, and kinesthetic senses. The author uses imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate with in our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Murder and violence appear throughout The Man Without Qualities. Who commits murder? Who is violent? In what ways are characters violent or abusive? What is their effect on other characters and their lives? Do those characters change over time? Why or why not? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in The Man Without Qualities. Cite at least two examples that you can identify in the book, and note why irony is exemplified.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)