|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following were women expected to emphasize while remaining demure in Chapter 15?
2. Which of the following did Ulrich's lover do for a living?
3. How many children did the woman who rescued Ulrich have?
4. Where did Musil relocate when the Nazis' power grew?
5. Which of the following did Ulrich notice that the country that he visited was moving toward in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Musil say about morality in Chapter 50?
2. How did the author show that the nouveau rich had improved their castles in Chapter 68?
3. What point did Diotima want to make with Ulrich concerning Arnheim in Chapter 66?
4. Describe Musil's view on fights and the effect that it had on Ulrich in Chapters 7 and 8.
5. In Chapter 30 during Moosbrugger's trial, what was brought to light as having strange effects?
6. Describe Musil's observations of old age and youth in Chapter 45.
7. Describe Soliman.
8. What comparison did Ulrich make between Moosbrugger and his relationship with Bonadea?
9. Describe the circumstances that made Musil move to Germany initially.
10. In Chapter 19, what did Musil say about the effect of the turn of the Century on people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in The Man Without Qualities. Cite at least two examples that you can identify in the book, and note why irony is exemplified.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the depiction of the two female characters in the book, Bonadea and Clarisse. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through their examples?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Moosbrugger. What is his role in The Man Without Qualities? What was Musil trying to accomplish by creating Moosbrugger's character in the novel?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)