Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did the man who Ulrich considered to be of importance turn out to be?
2. What was different about Diotoma compared to many women of her social sphere in Chapter 25?
3. Where did Ulrich spend time with his lover?
4. For which of the following did Diotoma carry the proverbial torch in Chapter 26?
5. Who rescued Ulrich in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Musil's observations about civil engineers in Chapter 10.
2. How did Clarisse compare her husband with Ulrich in Chapter 15?
3. Describe Musil's view on the rational and exact in Chapter 61.
4. What about Ulrich's colleagues made him desperate to leave the profession of engineering in Chapter 14?
5. Describe Moosbrugger's reaction to public fame in Chapter 54.
6. During his trial, what conclusions did the judge draw about Moosbrugger?
7. Describe Diotima's role at the 70th Jubilee Celebration of His Majesty in Chapter 71.
8. What did Ulrich learn about events and characters in Chapter 39?
9. In Chapter 36, what did a journalist establish, and how did it affect the Count?
10. Describe Musil's observations of Austrian and German women.
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in The Man Without Qualities. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Describe some of the settings in The Man Without Qualities. What is its overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular cultural events. How do those even if imaginary settings, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use those places in The Man Without Qualities?
Musil employs simple, minimalist, highly-controlled, meticulous yet effective language in contrast with complex language. Both styles employ powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique that it embodies.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)