|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Musil relocate when the Nazis' power grew?
2. Which of the following did Ulrich's lover do for a living?
3. For which of the following did Diotoma carry the proverbial torch in Chapter 26?
4. How many people did Ulrich face in Chapter 6?
5. Which of the following did Musil write about as being affected by changes at the turn of the Century?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ulrich's affair with Bonadea end in Chapter 34?
2. Describe the love interest that friends pushed Ulrich to make in Chapter 22.
3. Why did Soliman get jealous and angry when he grew up?
4. Describe Rachel.
5. What comparison did Ulrich make between Moosbrugger and his relationship with Bonadea?
6. Why was Clarisse sad about Walter by Chapter 15 and 16?
7. What took Moosbrugger back into the public limelight in Chapter 53?
8. How did the author show that the nouveau rich had improved their castles in Chapter 68?
9. Describe Diotima's role at the 70th Jubilee Celebration of His Majesty in Chapter 71.
10. What made Arnheim famous in Chapter 48?
Essay Topic 1
The Man Without Qualities is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery--powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture that we form in our minds of the story that we read. It can involve visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, and kinesthetic senses. The author uses imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate with in our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
The role of women in The Man Without Qualities takes on very different forms. For example, Bonadea is a mistress who exerts power in the bedroom, while Clarisse is a wife whose abhorrence for mundane life drives her husband mad. Describe.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in The Man Without Qualities. Cite at least two examples that you can identify in the book, and note why irony is exemplified.
This section contains 1,624 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)