|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many chapters are included in the two-volume set of The Man Without Qualities?
2. What was different about Diotoma compared to many women of her social sphere in Chapter 25?
3. Which of the following countries were close-knit rivals in Chapter 21?
4. Where did Ulrich travel in Chapter 21?
5. What did Ulrich do to the woman in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was considered to be a good sign in Chapter 47 regarding Diotima?
2. Describe the contrast that Diotima experienced in her relationship with her husband and the Count regarding her new salon business venture.
3. Describe the incident that occured in Chapter 1 that affected Ulrich.
4. What did Rachel do for Soliman in Chapter 44?
5. Describe Musil's literary style.
6. What did Musil notice about the men at the event in Chapter 72?
7. Why did Ulrich separate himself from Arnheim in Chapter 42?
8. What comparison did Ulrich make between Moosbrugger and his relationship with Bonadea?
9. Describe Ulrich's lack of concern for Bonadea and its effect on their relationship in Chapter 29.
10. Describe Ulrich's view of Napoleon in Chapter 9 and contrast it with the American view.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings in The Man Without Qualities. What is its overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular cultural events. How do those even if imaginary settings, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use those places in The Man Without Qualities?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Ulrich. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the depiction of the two female characters in the book, Bonadea and Clarisse. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through their examples?
This section contains 1,625 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)