|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the person whom people wanted Ulrich to meet in Chapter 22?
2. Which of the following was the name of the affected party at the trial in Chapter 30?
3. What city did Musil live in later in life as a post-Expressionist writer?
4. Which of the following did the man who Ulrich considered to be of importance turn out to be?
5. Which of the following did Diotoma establish in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ulrich learn about events and characters in Chapter 39?
2. Describe Ulrich's lack of concern for Bonadea and its effect on their relationship in Chapter 29.
3. Describe Bonadea.
4. Describe Diotima and Ulrich's relationship in Chapter 67.
5. Describe Musil's observations of old age and youth in Chapter 45.
6. Describe Soliman.
7. How did the author show that the nouveau rich had improved their castles in Chapter 68?
8. How did Clarisse compare her husband with Ulrich in Chapter 15?
9. Describe Musil's view on the rational and exact in Chapter 61.
10. What did Musil notice about the men at the event in Chapter 72?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings in The Man Without Qualities. What is its overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular cultural events. How do those even if imaginary settings, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use those places in The Man Without Qualities?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Musil's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances in which humor is apparent, and explain why the author used humor where he did.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in The Man Without Qualities. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)