|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was on trial in Chapter 30?
2. According to Musil, what portion of the female body was covered up in clothing?
3. In Chapter 6, who found Ulrich in a dreadful condition and sent him home in a cab?
4. What type of communication did Ulrich find among the people whom he studied and worked with in Chapter 10?
5. According to Ulrich in Chapter 11, what was the paradoxical power of engineering?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Count handle his correspondence in Chapter 58?
2. Describe Leo Fischel who is mentioned in Chapter 35.
3. In Chapter 30 during Moosbrugger's trial, what was brought to light as having strange effects?
4. Describe Leona.
5. What did Rachel do for Soliman in Chapter 44?
6. How did Ulrich's affair with Bonadea end in Chapter 34?
7. Describe Musil's observations of old age and youth in Chapter 45.
8. Describe Musil's observations about civil engineers in Chapter 10.
9. Describe Clarisse's letter in Chapter 59.
10. What about Ulrich's colleagues made him desperate to leave the profession of engineering in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Technology is a recurring theme in The Man Without Qualities. What advancements occur in technology? Describe some of the tools, equipment, and changes. How accurate are they? Do those changes result in positive or negative consequences? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Select a character whom Ulrich grows to like and become familiar with. How does their relationship evolve?
Essay Topic 3
Musil discusses both patriotism and war vividly in The Man Without Qualities. Find some examples of same in the book, and discuss the effect of those topics on Ulrich's character.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)