|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Ulrich notice that the country he visited was in during a protracted period in Chapter 21?
2. What kind of woman was Ulrich's rescuer?
3. What was different about Diotoma compared to many women of her social sphere in Chapter 25?
4. Where did Musil relocate when the Nazis' power grew?
5. Whose sanity was under question in Chapter 32?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Clarisse compare her husband with Ulrich in Chapter 15?
2. Describe Diotoma and Count Leinsdorf's relationship.
3. What made Arnheim famous in Chapter 48?
4. Describe the circumstances that made Musil move to Germany initially.
5. What about Ulrich's colleagues made him desperate to leave the profession of engineering in Chapter 14?
6. Describe Clarisse's letter in Chapter 59.
7. Describe Ulrich's observations of the political climate in Chapter 21.
8. In Chapter 30 during Moosbrugger's trial, what was brought to light as having strange effects?
9. Describe the premise behind Moosbrugger's sentence in Chapter 60.
10. What did Ulrich learn about events and characters in Chapter 39?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Moosbrugger. What is his role in The Man Without Qualities? What was Musil trying to accomplish by creating Moosbrugger's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Ulrich. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
The "hovering life" is a theme that Musil introduces in the Man Without Qualities. What does that phrase mean? How does it relate to science and to the mystical? What does Musil ultimately say about intuition and analysis through the characters of Ulrich and Bonadea? What is the importance of that discovery and the characters' role?
This section contains 1,693 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)