|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of the country's characteristics that had changed that Ulrich noticed in Chapter 21?
2. According to Musil, which of the following types of behaviors were expected of women?
3. Where did Musil relocate when the Nazis' power grew?
4. When her friendship with Ulrich escalated, which of the following types of intimacy developed between them in Chapter 12?
5. What trait of a married woman was under discussion in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Arnheim and Diotima's relationship in Chapter 41.
2. Describe Leona and Ulrich's relationship.
3. In Chapter 30 during Moosbrugger's trial, what was brought to light as having strange effects?
4. Describe Leo Fischel who is mentioned in Chapter 35.
5. How was Klementine's relationship with her husband in Chapter 51?
6. Describe the premise behind Moosbrugger's sentence in Chapter 60.
7. What point did Diotima want to make with Ulrich concerning Arnheim in Chapter 66?
8. What was the rumor about Arnheim in Chapter 26, and how did that reflect fears within the region?
9. Describe Diotima and Ulrich's relationship in Chapter 67.
10. Describe Musil's observations about civil engineers in Chapter 10.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Ulrich. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Power in society is a prevailing theme in The Man Without Qualities. Musil frequently refers to that theme, painting the picture of the monarchy's last days in the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the need to preserve order in a shaken world. Which characters appear honest and which appear corrupt. Why? Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they are initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Musil describes? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The "hovering life" is a theme that Musil introduces in the Man Without Qualities. What does that phrase mean? How does it relate to science and to the mystical? What does Musil ultimately say about intuition and analysis through the characters of Ulrich and Bonadea? What is the importance of that discovery and the characters' role?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)