|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Musil spend most of his life?
2. What did Ulrich do to the woman in Chapter 12?
3. Which of the following did Ulrich join after he finished school?
4. Whom of the following did Ulrich meet in Chapter 20?
5. According to Ulrich in Chapter 11, which of the following gave humans tremendous power through their use?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the contrast that Diotima experienced in her relationship with her husband and the Count regarding her new salon business venture.
2. Describe Diotoma and Count Leinsdorf's relationship.
3. What did Ulrich learn about events and characters in Chapter 39?
4. In Chapter 19, what did Musil say about the effect of the turn of the Century on people?
5. Describe Musil's view on fights and the effect that it had on Ulrich in Chapters 7 and 8.
6. In Chapter 36, what did a journalist establish, and how did it affect the Count?
7. Describe Musil's literary style.
8. What did Musil notice about the men at the event in Chapter 72?
9. Describe what Clarisse shared about Lucy to Ulrich and Diotima in Chapter 70.
10. What did Arnheim say about the arts in Chapter 40?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Moosbrugger. What is his role in The Man Without Qualities? What was Musil trying to accomplish by creating Moosbrugger's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Ulrich and Bonadea are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Ulrich had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Bonadea had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in The Man Without Qualities. Cite at least two examples that you can identify in the book, and note why irony is exemplified.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)