Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did the man who Ulrich considered to be of importance turn out to be?
2. What was different about Diotoma compared to many women of her social sphere in Chapter 25?
3. Where did Ulrich spend time with his lover?
4. For which of the following did Diotoma carry the proverbial torch in Chapter 26?
5. Who rescued Ulrich in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Musil's observations about civil engineers in Chapter 10.
2. How did Clarisse compare her husband with Ulrich in Chapter 15?
3. Describe Musil's view on the rational and exact in Chapter 61.
4. What about Ulrich's colleagues made him desperate to leave the profession of engineering in Chapter 14?
5. Describe Moosbrugger's reaction to public fame in Chapter 54.
6. During his trial, what conclusions did the judge draw about Moosbrugger?
7. Describe Diotima's role at the 70th Jubilee Celebration of His Majesty in Chapter 71.
8. What did Ulrich learn about events and characters in Chapter 39?
9. In Chapter 36, what did a journalist establish, and how did it affect the Count?
10. Describe Musil's observations of Austrian and German women.
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings in The Man Without Qualities. What is its overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular cultural events. How do those even if imaginary settings, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use those places in The Man Without Qualities?
Essay Topic 2
Power in society is a prevailing theme in The Man Without Qualities. Musil frequently refers to that theme, painting the picture of the monarchy's last days in the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the need to preserve order in a shaken world. Which characters appear honest and which appear corrupt. Why? Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they are initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Musil describes? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Musil's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances in which humor is apparent, and explain why the author used humor where he did.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)