|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrived at the end of Chapter 25?
2. How many children did the woman who rescued Ulrich have?
3. Who did Ulrich meet and become attracted to in Chapter 22?
4. Which of the following did Ulrich's lover do for a living?
5. Whom of the following was Ulrich curious about in order to understand what a man of importance was like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Clarisse's letter in Chapter 59.
2. Describe Diotima and Ulrich's relationship in Chapter 67.
3. What point did Diotima want to make with Ulrich concerning Arnheim in Chapter 66?
4. What did Clarisse's piano playing with her husband reveal?
5. Why was Clarisse sad about Walter by Chapter 15 and 16?
6. Why did Soliman get jealous and angry when he grew up?
7. How was Klementine's relationship with her husband in Chapter 51?
8. How did Ulrich's affair with Bonadea end in Chapter 34?
9. What was considered to be a good sign in Chapter 47 regarding Diotima?
10. Describe what Clarisse shared about Lucy to Ulrich and Diotima in Chapter 70.
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in The Man Without Qualities. Cite at least two examples that you can identify in the book, and note why irony is exemplified.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the title, The Man Without Qualities? How does it relate to the protagonist Ulrich and in particular to the main theme of the book? What did the author mean by titling the book The Man Without Qualities? Cite an example from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in The Man Without Qualities. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,645 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)