Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did the man who Ulrich considered to be of importance turn out to be?
2. What was different about Diotoma compared to many women of her social sphere in Chapter 25?
3. Where did Ulrich spend time with his lover?
4. For which of the following did Diotoma carry the proverbial torch in Chapter 26?
5. Who rescued Ulrich in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Musil's observations about civil engineers in Chapter 10.
2. How did Clarisse compare her husband with Ulrich in Chapter 15?
3. Describe Musil's view on the rational and exact in Chapter 61.
4. What about Ulrich's colleagues made him desperate to leave the profession of engineering in Chapter 14?
5. Describe Moosbrugger's reaction to public fame in Chapter 54.
6. During his trial, what conclusions did the judge draw about Moosbrugger?
7. Describe Diotima's role at the 70th Jubilee Celebration of His Majesty in Chapter 71.
8. What did Ulrich learn about events and characters in Chapter 39?
9. In Chapter 36, what did a journalist establish, and how did it affect the Count?
10. Describe Musil's observations of Austrian and German women.
Essay Topic 1
Ulrich and Bonadea are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Ulrich had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Bonadea had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
The role of women in The Man Without Qualities takes on very different forms. For example, Bonadea is a mistress who exerts power in the bedroom, while Clarisse is a wife whose abhorrence for mundane life drives her husband mad. Describe.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in The Man Without Qualities. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)