|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Musil, which of the following characterized the previous Century?
2. Which of the following types of commoner was Diotoma's husband?
3. Which of the following were women expected to emphasize while remaining demure in Chapter 15?
4. According to Musil, which of the following types of behaviors were expected of women?
5. Which of the following brought about a story shift in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 19, what did Musil say about the effect of the turn of the Century on people?
2. What did Musil say about philosophers' take on violent people in Chapter 64?
3. Describe Diotima's change into maturity at the beginning of Chapter 25.
4. What comparison did Ulrich make between Moosbrugger and his relationship with Bonadea?
5. What did Musil think about Moosbrugger's personal life that contributed to his behavior in Chapter 61?
6. In Chapter 36, what did a journalist establish, and how did it affect the Count?
7. What did Musil notice about the men at the event in Chapter 72?
8. Why did Soliman get jealous and angry when he grew up?
9. Describe Ulrich's view of Napoleon in Chapter 9 and contrast it with the American view.
10. How did the author show that the nouveau rich had improved their castles in Chapter 68?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Musil discusses both patriotism and war vividly in The Man Without Qualities. Find some examples of same in the book, and discuss the effect of those topics on Ulrich's character.
Essay Topic 2
Musil employs simple, minimalist, highly-controlled, meticulous yet effective language in contrast with complex language. Both styles employ powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique that it embodies.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Moosbrugger. What is his role in The Man Without Qualities? What was Musil trying to accomplish by creating Moosbrugger's character in the novel?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)