Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did the man who Ulrich considered to be of importance turn out to be?
2. What was different about Diotoma compared to many women of her social sphere in Chapter 25?
3. Where did Ulrich spend time with his lover?
4. For which of the following did Diotoma carry the proverbial torch in Chapter 26?
5. Who rescued Ulrich in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Musil's observations about civil engineers in Chapter 10.
2. How did Clarisse compare her husband with Ulrich in Chapter 15?
3. Describe Musil's view on the rational and exact in Chapter 61.
4. What about Ulrich's colleagues made him desperate to leave the profession of engineering in Chapter 14?
5. Describe Moosbrugger's reaction to public fame in Chapter 54.
6. During his trial, what conclusions did the judge draw about Moosbrugger?
7. Describe Diotima's role at the 70th Jubilee Celebration of His Majesty in Chapter 71.
8. What did Ulrich learn about events and characters in Chapter 39?
9. In Chapter 36, what did a journalist establish, and how did it affect the Count?
10. Describe Musil's observations of Austrian and German women.
Essay Topic 1
Musil employs simple, minimalist, highly-controlled, meticulous yet effective language in contrast with complex language. Both styles employ powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique that it embodies.
Essay Topic 2
Ulrich and Bonadea are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Ulrich had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Bonadea had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the title, The Man Without Qualities? How does it relate to the protagonist Ulrich and in particular to the main theme of the book? What did the author mean by titling the book The Man Without Qualities? Cite an example from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)