|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did the Northern Europeans lack in terms of literature?
2. Where did Ulrich spend time with his lover?
3. Who was on trial in Chapter 30?
4. Which of the following did Ulrich's lover do for a living?
5. What type of communication did Ulrich find among the people whom he studied and worked with in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Musil's literary style.
2. Describe Musil's view on fights and the effect that it had on Ulrich in Chapters 7 and 8.
3. Describe the contrast that Diotima experienced in her relationship with her husband and the Count regarding her new salon business venture.
4. Describe Rachel.
5. Describe Musil's view on the rational and exact in Chapter 61.
6. Describe Clarisse's letter in Chapter 59.
7. How did the author show that the nouveau rich had improved their castles in Chapter 68?
8. What made Arnheim famous in Chapter 48?
9. Describe Leo Fischel who is mentioned in Chapter 35.
10. What took Moosbrugger back into the public limelight in Chapter 53?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Musil's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances in which humor is apparent, and explain why the author used humor where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as demonstrated in The Man Without Qualities. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain their loneliness if any, and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Murder and violence appear throughout The Man Without Qualities. Who commits murder? Who is violent? In what ways are characters violent or abusive? What is their effect on other characters and their lives? Do those characters change over time? Why or why not? Describe.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)