|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of woman was Ulrich's rescuer?
2. Which of the following statements best describes what the Count said to Diotoma about her idea in Chapter 25?
3. How many chapters are included in the two-volume set of The Man Without Qualities?
4. According to Ulrich in Chapter 11, what was the paradoxical power of engineering?
5. Which of the following cases did Ulrich discuss with his acquaintance in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Arnheim.
2. Describe the love interest that friends pushed Ulrich to make in Chapter 22.
3. What did Musil say about morality in Chapter 50?
4. In Chapter 30 during Moosbrugger's trial, what was brought to light as having strange effects?
5. What did Clarisse's piano playing with her husband reveal?
6. How was Klementine's relationship with her husband in Chapter 51?
7. Describe Diotima's role at the 70th Jubilee Celebration of His Majesty in Chapter 71.
8. What point did Diotima want to make with Ulrich concerning Arnheim in Chapter 66?
9. What did Musil think about Moosbrugger's personal life that contributed to his behavior in Chapter 61?
10. Describe Leona.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Man Without Qualities is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery--powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture that we form in our minds of the story that we read. It can involve visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, and kinesthetic senses. The author uses imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate with in our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Select a character whom Ulrich grows to like and become familiar with. How does their relationship evolve?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in The Man Without Qualities. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,648 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)