|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people did Ulrich face in Chapter 6?
2. What city did Musil live in later in life as a post-Expressionist writer?
3. What did the judge state that the defendant did regularly with other people in Chapter 30?
4. What was the name of the person whom people wanted Ulrich to meet in Chapter 22?
5. How many chapters are included in the two-volume set of The Man Without Qualities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made Arnheim famous in Chapter 48?
2. Describe Ulrich's lack of concern for Bonadea and its effect on their relationship in Chapter 29.
3. Describe the circumstances that made Musil move to Germany initially.
4. Describe the love interest that friends pushed Ulrich to make in Chapter 22.
5. Describe Arnheim and Diotima's relationship in Chapter 41.
6. What was the rumor about Arnheim in Chapter 26, and how did that reflect fears within the region?
7. What point did Diotima want to make with Ulrich concerning Arnheim in Chapter 66?
8. Describe Diotima's role at the 70th Jubilee Celebration of His Majesty in Chapter 71.
9. Describe Musil's observations about civil engineers in Chapter 10.
10. What did Clarisse's piano playing with her husband reveal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the title, The Man Without Qualities? How does it relate to the protagonist Ulrich and in particular to the main theme of the book? What did the author mean by titling the book The Man Without Qualities? Cite an example from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as demonstrated in The Man Without Qualities. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain their loneliness if any, and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Musil discusses both patriotism and war vividly in The Man Without Qualities. Find some examples of same in the book, and discuss the effect of those topics on Ulrich's character.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)