|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Musil end up living later in life?
2. According to Ulrich in Chapter 11, which of the following gave humans tremendous power through their use?
3. Which of the following traits did Ulrich seem most enamored by in his lover?
4. Between which of the following did Ulrich draw a comparison in Chapter 30?
5. Which of the following was the War in which Musil served?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Musil's literary style.
2. How did Ulrich's affair with Bonadea end in Chapter 34?
3. Describe Ulrich's lack of concern for Bonadea and its effect on their relationship in Chapter 29.
4. Describe the circumstances that made Musil move to Germany initially.
5. How was Klementine's relationship with her husband in Chapter 51?
6. Describe Musil's view on fights and the effect that it had on Ulrich in Chapters 7 and 8.
7. Describe Ulrich's observations of the political climate in Chapter 21.
8. What did Musil think about Moosbrugger's personal life that contributed to his behavior in Chapter 61?
9. Describe the love interest that friends pushed Ulrich to make in Chapter 22.
10. Describe Ulrich's view of Napoleon in Chapter 9 and contrast it with the American view.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in The Man Without Qualities. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Moosbrugger. What is his role in The Man Without Qualities? What was Musil trying to accomplish by creating Moosbrugger's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in The Man Without Qualities. Cite at least two examples that you can identify in the book, and note why irony is exemplified.
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)