|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rescued Ulrich in Chapter 12?
2. Which of the following was Robert Musil's nationality?
3. Which of the following types of commoner was Diotoma's husband?
4. According to Musil, which of the following presented a paradox at the turn of the Century?
5. Whom of the following did Ulrich visit in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 36, what did a journalist establish, and how did it affect the Count?
2. Why did Soliman get jealous and angry when he grew up?
3. Describe Musil's observations of Austrian and German women.
4. Describe Ulrich and Diotima's interaction in Chapter 69.
5. Describe Arnheim and Diotima's relationship in Chapter 41.
6. What comparison did Ulrich make between Moosbrugger and his relationship with Bonadea?
7. What did Arnheim say about the arts in Chapter 40?
8. Describe Leona.
9. How did the author show that the nouveau rich had improved their castles in Chapter 68?
10. What did Musil think about Moosbrugger's personal life that contributed to his behavior in Chapter 61?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Technology is a recurring theme in The Man Without Qualities. What advancements occur in technology? Describe some of the tools, equipment, and changes. How accurate are they? Do those changes result in positive or negative consequences? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
The Man Without Qualities is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery--powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture that we form in our minds of the story that we read. It can involve visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, and kinesthetic senses. The author uses imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate with in our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Murder and violence appear throughout The Man Without Qualities. Who commits murder? Who is violent? In what ways are characters violent or abusive? What is their effect on other characters and their lives? Do those characters change over time? Why or why not? Describe.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)