|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Diotoma transforming herself in Chapter 25?
(a) She was becoming more mature.
(b) She was becoming colder.
(c) She was becoming more loving.
(d) She was becoming more difficult.
2. Where did Musil spend most of his life?
3. Where did Ulrich spend time with his lover?
(a) Out in public.
(b) In private quarters.
(c) In the rural countryside.
(d) Both - in private quarters and out in public.
4. According to Musil, what portion of the female body was covered up in clothing?
(a) Bosom downward.
(b) Stomach upward.
(c) Neck downward.
(d) Waist upward.
5. For which of the following did Diotoma carry the proverbial torch in Chapter 26?
(a) For the Political Campaign.
(b) For the Species Campaign.
(c) For the Cultural Campaign.
(d) For the Collateral Campaign.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the judge state that the defendant did regularly with other people in Chapter 30?
2. What kind of woman was Ulrich's rescuer?
3. To whom did her husband appear more gifted than Ulrich in Chapter 15?
4. Which of the following did Musil write about as being affected by changes at the turn of the Century?
5. According to Ulrich in Chapter 11, what was the paradoxical power of engineering?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Count handle his correspondence in Chapter 58?
2. What did Musil think about Moosbrugger's personal life that contributed to his behavior in Chapter 61?
3. What took Moosbrugger back into the public limelight in Chapter 53?
4. Describe the premise behind Moosbrugger's sentence in Chapter 60.
5. What did Ulrich think about engineering in Chapter 11?
6. Describe Ulrich's lack of concern for Bonadea and its effect on their relationship in Chapter 29.
7. Describe Ulrich's view of Napoleon in Chapter 9 and contrast it with the American view.
8. What about Ulrich's colleagues made him desperate to leave the profession of engineering in Chapter 14?
9. How was Klementine's relationship with her husband in Chapter 51?
10. In Chapter 19, what did Musil say about the effect of the turn of the Century on people?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)