|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following cultural groups was not popular in Europe?
(a) The Swedish.
(b) The German.
(c) The English.
(d) The Jewish.
2. Which of the following was Robert Musil's nationality?
3. How many chapters are included in the two-volume set of The Man Without Qualities?
4. Whom of the following did Ulrich visit in Chapter 21?
5. According to Musil, which of the following presented a paradox at the turn of the Century?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following were women expected to emphasize while remaining demure in Chapter 15?
2. Whom of the following was Ulrich apparently better at implementation than in Chapter 15?
3. Which of the following was affected by the defendant's alleged actions in Chapter 30?
4. Where did Ulrich spend time with his lover?
5. Which of the following was a factor that led Ulrich's rescuer into extramarital affairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about Ulrich's colleagues made him desperate to leave the profession of engineering in Chapter 14?
2. Describe Musil's literary style.
3. Describe Ulrich's view of Napoleon in Chapter 9 and contrast it with the American view.
4. Describe Soliman.
5. Describe Ulrich's lack of concern for Bonadea and its effect on their relationship in Chapter 29.
6. Describe Musil's view on the rational and exact in Chapter 61.
7. Describe the premise behind Moosbrugger's sentence in Chapter 60.
8. In Chapter 19, what did Musil say about the effect of the turn of the Century on people?
9. Why did Musil move back to Austria, and how did that affect his work?
10. Describe Diotima's role at the 70th Jubilee Celebration of His Majesty in Chapter 71.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)