|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom did her husband appear more gifted than Ulrich in Chapter 15?
2. Which of the following cases did Ulrich discuss with his acquaintance in Chapter 20?
(a) Lichendeit. Feudalist.
3. Which of the following groups of writers shared the same literary lineage with Musil?
(a) Tolstoy, Balzac, and Dostoevsky.
(b) Milton, Yeats, and Balzac.
(c) Goethe, Marx, and Whitmore.
(d) Spencer, Wordsworth, and Shakespeare.
4. What did the relationship that Ulrich and his rescuer share carry as an ominous feeling?
(c) Temporary nature.
5. Who arrived at the end of Chapter 25?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Musil relocate when the Nazis' power grew?
2. Between which of the following did Ulrich draw a comparison in Chapter 30?
3. For which of the following did Diotoma carry the proverbial torch in Chapter 26?
4. What city did Musil live in later in life as a post-Expressionist writer?
5. Who influenced Ulrich in his study?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the incident that occured in Chapter 1 that affected Ulrich.
2. Why did Musil move back to Austria, and how did that affect his work?
3. Describe Ulrich and Diotima's interaction in Chapter 69.
4. During his trial, what conclusions did the judge draw about Moosbrugger?
5. Why did Ulrich separate himself from Arnheim in Chapter 42?
6. Describe the premise behind Moosbrugger's sentence in Chapter 60.
7. Describe Musil's view on fights and the effect that it had on Ulrich in Chapters 7 and 8.
8. What did Musil notice about the men at the event in Chapter 72?
9. In Chapter 30 during Moosbrugger's trial, what was brought to light as having strange effects?
10. Describe Diotima and Ulrich's relationship in Chapter 67.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)