Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did the man who Ulrich considered to be of importance turn out to be?
(a) A coward.
(b) A benefactor.
(c) An informant.
(d) A thief.
2. What was different about Diotoma compared to many women of her social sphere in Chapter 25?
(a) She was more supportive.
(b) She was unfriendlier.
(c) She was more determined.
(d) She was more masculine.
3. Where did Ulrich spend time with his lover?
(a) In private quarters.
(b) Both - in private quarters and out in public.
(c) In the rural countryside.
(d) Out in public.
4. For which of the following did Diotoma carry the proverbial torch in Chapter 26?
(a) For the Species Campaign.
(b) For the Political Campaign.
(c) For the Cultural Campaign.
(d) For the Collateral Campaign.
5. Who rescued Ulrich in Chapter 12?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following types of commoner was Diotoma's husband?
2. Which of the following traits possessed by Ulrich's lover did not become apparent at first, but rather became evident later?
3. To whom did her husband appear more gifted than Ulrich in Chapter 15?
4. What did Ulrich do to the woman in Chapter 12?
5. What did the judge try to bring into question about the defendant in Chapter 30?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Musil's observations about civil engineers in Chapter 10.
2. How did Clarisse compare her husband with Ulrich in Chapter 15?
3. Describe Musil's view on the rational and exact in Chapter 61.
4. What about Ulrich's colleagues made him desperate to leave the profession of engineering in Chapter 14?
5. Describe Moosbrugger's reaction to public fame in Chapter 54.
6. During his trial, what conclusions did the judge draw about Moosbrugger?
7. Describe Diotima's role at the 70th Jubilee Celebration of His Majesty in Chapter 71.
8. What did Ulrich learn about events and characters in Chapter 39?
9. In Chapter 36, what did a journalist establish, and how did it affect the Count?
10. Describe Musil's observations of Austrian and German women.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)