|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the position in the country that was held by Diotoma's husband in Chapter 25?
(c) Permanent Secretary.
2. What happened to Ulrich while he was out drinking in Chapter 1?
(a) He was involved in an accident.
(b) He was mugged.
(c) He fell down.
(d) He shattered the goblet from which he was drinking.
3. Between which of the following did Ulrich draw a comparison in Chapter 30?
(a) Moosbrugger's theft and Bonadea's murders.
(b) Bonadea's infidelity and Moosbrugger's murders.
(c) Moosabrugger's complicity and Arnheim's theft.
(d) Clarisse's murders and Moosbrugger's theft.
4. What did Ulrich do to the woman in Chapter 12?
(a) Pulled her away.
(b) Pushed her.
(c) Flattered her.
(d) Criticized her.
5. Which of the following did Musil write about as being affected by changes at the turn of the Century?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ulrich in Chapter 11, which of the following gave humans tremendous power through their use?
2. Which of the following was affected by the defendant's alleged actions in Chapter 30?
3. According to Musil, which of the following characterized the previous Century?
4. According to Musil, which of the following presented a paradox at the turn of the Century?
5. Whom of the following was Ulrich apparently better at implementation than in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ulrich's observations of the political climate in Chapter 21.
2. Describe Arnheim.
3. Describe Musil's observations of Austrian and German women.
4. Describe Musil's literary style.
5. What did Musil say about morality in Chapter 50?
6. During his trial, what conclusions did the judge draw about Moosbrugger?
7. Describe Leo Fischel who is mentioned in Chapter 35.
8. What point did Diotima want to make with Ulrich concerning Arnheim in Chapter 66?
9. Why was Clarisse sad about Walter by Chapter 15 and 16?
10. What did Musil notice about the men at the event in Chapter 72?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)