|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did Musil write about as being affected by changes at the turn of the Century?
2. According to Musil, what portion of the female body was covered up in clothing?
(a) Bosom downward.
(b) Stomach upward.
(c) Waist upward.
(d) Neck downward.
3. According to Musil, which of the following geographical areas emphasized decorum, yet allure in dress?
(a) England and France.
(b) Asia and the Pacific.
(c) Austria and Germany.
(d) America and Canada.
4. Who influenced Ulrich in his study?
5. According to Ulrich in Chapter 11, what was the paradoxical power of engineering?
(a) That it led those in the profession to fight and then make peace.
(b) That it empowered and enslaved.
(c) That jobs in the field would open, and then close up.
(d) That more equipment would end up being broken than getting fixed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people did Ulrich face in Chapter 6?
2. What city did Musil live in later in life as a post-Expressionist writer?
3. Which of the following cases did Ulrich discuss with his acquaintance in Chapter 20?
4. To which of the following did Ulrich compare the effects of the defendant in Chapter 31?
5. Which of the following were women expected to emphasize while remaining demure in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ulrich's lack of concern for Bonadea and its effect on their relationship in Chapter 29.
2. Describe the love interest that friends pushed Ulrich to make in Chapter 22.
3. What did Ulrich think about engineering in Chapter 11?
4. How did the Count handle his correspondence in Chapter 58?
5. Describe Leo Fischel who is mentioned in Chapter 35.
6. How did the author show that the nouveau rich had improved their castles in Chapter 68?
7. How was Klementine's relationship with her husband in Chapter 51?
8. What was considered to be a good sign in Chapter 47 regarding Diotima?
9. Describe the contrast that Diotima experienced in her relationship with her husband and the Count regarding her new salon business venture.
10. Describe Arnheim.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)