|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of communication did Ulrich find among the people whom he studied and worked with in Chapter 10?
2. What trait of a married woman was under discussion in Chapter 25?
(a) Her choice.
(b) Her role.
(c) Her soul.
(d) Her beauty.
3. Where did Ulrich spend time with his lover?
(a) In the rural countryside.
(b) Out in public.
(c) In private quarters.
(d) Both - in private quarters and out in public.
4. According to Musil, which of the following presented a paradox at the turn of the Century?
5. Which of the following was Robert Musil's nationality?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, which of the following did the narrator describe as a form of intimacy that was not right?
2. What was the name of the person whom people wanted Ulrich to meet in Chapter 22?
3. When her friendship with Ulrich escalated, which of the following types of intimacy developed between them in Chapter 12?
4. To which of the following did Ulrich compare the effects of the defendant in Chapter 31?
5. Who rescued Ulrich in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Musil think about Moosbrugger's personal life that contributed to his behavior in Chapter 61?
2. How did the author show that the nouveau rich had improved their castles in Chapter 68?
3. What about Ulrich's colleagues made him desperate to leave the profession of engineering in Chapter 14?
4. Why did Soliman get jealous and angry when he grew up?
5. What did Arnheim say about the arts in Chapter 40?
6. How did the Count handle his correspondence in Chapter 58?
7. Describe the premise behind Moosbrugger's sentence in Chapter 60.
8. Describe Diotima's role at the 70th Jubilee Celebration of His Majesty in Chapter 71.
9. What did Musil notice about the men at the event in Chapter 72?
10. Describe Bonadea.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)