|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was different about Diotoma compared to many women of her social sphere in Chapter 25?
(a) She was more masculine.
(b) She was more supportive.
(c) She was unfriendlier.
(d) She was more determined.
2. According to Musil, which of the following characterized the previous Century?
(a) War and disease.
(b) Music and philosophy.
(c) Technological advancement and social progress.
(d) Art, music, and poetry.
3. According to Musil, what portion of the female body was covered up in clothing?
(a) Neck downward.
(b) Waist upward.
(c) Bosom downward.
(d) Stomach upward.
4. Who did Ulrich meet and become attracted to in Chapter 22?
5. Why was the woman in Chapter 15 sad about her husband?
(a) Because he was not prominent.
(b) Because he was not handsome.
(c) Because he was not a hard worker.
(d) Because he was not intellectual.
6. For which of the following did Diotoma carry the proverbial torch in Chapter 26?
(a) For the Political Campaign.
(b) For the Cultural Campaign.
(c) For the Collateral Campaign.
(d) For the Species Campaign.
7. According to Ulrich in Chapter 11, which of the following gave humans tremendous power through their use?
8. Where did Ulrich travel in Chapter 21?
(a) To Prague.
(b) To Australia.
(c) To Liege.
(d) To France.
9. In Chapter 1, what was uncertain at the scene when the ambulance arrived?
(a) Whether Ulrich was guilty.
(b) Whether the driver was present.
(c) Whether the victim was dead or alive.
(d) Whether Ulrich would defend himself.
10. Which of the following statements best describes what the Count said to Diotoma about her idea in Chapter 25?
(a) That it was too difficult to comprehend.
(b) That it was too expensive.
(c) That it was a point of cultural development.
(d) That it was a foolish idea.
11. Which of the following trait types were discovered with the newness of the Century?
(a) Paradoxical and contradictory.
(b) Long and muted.
(c) Fashionable and appealing.
(d) Similar and equitable.
12. When her friendship with Ulrich escalated, which of the following types of intimacy developed between them in Chapter 12?
13. Where did Musil end up living later in life?
14. How many people did Ulrich face in Chapter 6?
15. How was Diotoma transforming herself in Chapter 25?
(a) She was becoming colder.
(b) She was becoming more mature.
(c) She was becoming more loving.
(d) She was becoming more difficult.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did the person whom Ulrich met leave him with in Chapter 20?
2. What city did Musil live in later in life as a post-Expressionist writer?
3. Which of the following did Diotoma establish in Chapter 25?
4. Which of the following did Musil write about as being affected by changes at the turn of the Century?
5. What did Ulrich do to the woman in Chapter 12?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)