|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Musil, which of the following geographical areas emphasized decorum, yet allure in dress?
(a) America and Canada.
(b) England and France.
(c) Asia and the Pacific.
(d) Austria and Germany.
2. When her friendship with Ulrich escalated, which of the following types of intimacy developed between them in Chapter 12?
3. According to Ulrich in Chapter 11, what was the paradoxical power of engineering?
(a) That it empowered and enslaved.
(b) That more equipment would end up being broken than getting fixed.
(c) That jobs in the field would open, and then close up.
(d) That it led those in the profession to fight and then make peace.
4. Which of the following did Ulrich notice that the country that he visited was moving toward in Chapter 21?
(c) Civil war.
(d) Political stalemate.
5. Which of the following groups of writers shared the same literary lineage with Musil?
(a) Spencer, Wordsworth, and Shakespeare.
(b) Tolstoy, Balzac, and Dostoevsky.
(c) Goethe, Marx, and Whitmore.
(d) Milton, Yeats, and Balzac.
6. What was the defendant on trial for in Chapter 30?
7. Who did Ulrich meet and become attracted to in Chapter 22?
8. Who rescued Ulrich in Chapter 12?
9. What affair ended in Chapter 33?
(a) The one between Ulrich and Bonadea.
(b) The one between Moosbrugger and Clarisse.
(c) The one between Ulrich and Clarisse.
(d) The one between Arnheim and Bonadea.
10. With whom did Ulrich discuss the crime in Chapter 30?
11. Which of the following did Ulrich join after he finished school?
(a) A choir.
(b) The military.
(c) A union.
(d) An alumni association.
12. Who was Ulrich's lover in Chapter 5?
13. Which of the following traits did Ulrich seem most enamored by in his lover?
(a) Her dancing.
(b) Her singing.
(c) Her speech.
(d) Her beauty.
14. What did Ulrich do to the woman in Chapter 12?
(a) Criticized her.
(b) Pulled her away.
(c) Flattered her.
(d) Pushed her.
15. Which of the following did Ulrich's lover do for a living?
(a) Cooked meals.
(b) Danced nude.
(c) Waited tables.
(d) Sang in a cabaret.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, which of the following did the narrator describe as a form of intimacy that was not right?
2. Where did Ulrich travel in Chapter 21?
3. Which of the following statements best describes what the Count said to Diotoma about her idea in Chapter 25?
4. How many children did the woman who rescued Ulrich have?
5. What happened to Ulrich while he was out drinking in Chapter 1?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)