|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements best describes what the Count said to Diotoma about her idea in Chapter 25?
(a) That it was a point of cultural development.
(b) That it was too expensive.
(c) That it was a foolish idea.
(d) That it was too difficult to comprehend.
2. What did the relationship that Ulrich and his rescuer share carry as an ominous feeling?
(c) Temporary nature.
3. Which of the following did Musil write about as being affected by changes at the turn of the Century?
4. In Chapter 1, what was uncertain at the scene when the ambulance arrived?
(a) Whether the driver was present.
(b) Whether Ulrich was guilty.
(c) Whether the victim was dead or alive.
(d) Whether Ulrich would defend himself.
5. How was Diotoma transforming herself in Chapter 25?
(a) She was becoming more difficult.
(b) She was becoming colder.
(c) She was becoming more mature.
(d) She was becoming more loving.
6. Which of the following specialty areas best described Ulrich's education?
7. What year was Musil born?
8. What did the judge try to bring into question about the defendant in Chapter 30?
(a) Forgiveness, but no vengeance.
(b) Anger, but no regret.
(c) Remorse, but no regret.
(d) Regret, but no remorse.
9. What did the issue of sanity do for the person in question in Chapter 32?
(a) Removed obstacles.
(b) Bring forth a pardon.
(c) Offered sympathy.
(d) Lighten the sentence.
10. Which of the following trait types were discovered with the newness of the Century?
(a) Paradoxical and contradictory.
(b) Fashionable and appealing.
(c) Long and muted.
(d) Similar and equitable.
11. Which of the following was the War in which Musil served?
(a) Korean War.
(b) World War I.
(c) Austro-Hungarian War.
(d) World War II.
12. With whom did Ulrich discuss the crime in Chapter 30?
13. How did Diotoma react when her husband did not take her new endeavor seriously?
(a) She was distressed.
(b) She was jealous.
(c) She was not perturbed.
(d) She was angry.
14. Who was Diotoma's husband?
15. Who did Ulrich meet and become attracted to in Chapter 22?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following traits did Ulrich seem most enamored by in his lover?
2. For which of the following did Diotoma carry the proverbial torch in Chapter 26?
3. Which of the following did Ulrich's lover do for a living?
4. Who rescued Ulrich in Chapter 12?
5. What affair ended in Chapter 33?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)