|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Musil, which of the following characterized the previous Century?
(a) Technological advancement and social progress.
(b) War and disease.
(c) Music and philosophy.
(d) Art, music, and poetry.
2. What happened to Ulrich while he was out drinking in Chapter 1?
(a) He fell down.
(b) He was mugged.
(c) He shattered the goblet from which he was drinking.
(d) He was involved in an accident.
3. Who influenced Ulrich in his study?
4. According to Musil, what portion of the female body was covered up in clothing?
(a) Stomach upward.
(b) Neck downward.
(c) Waist upward.
(d) Bosom downward.
5. Which of the following did Ulrich notice that the country he visited was in during a protracted period in Chapter 21?
(a) Political stalemate.
(c) Civil war.
6. Where did Musil end up living later in life?
7. Where did Ulrich spend time with his lover?
(a) Both - in private quarters and out in public.
(b) Out in public.
(c) In the rural countryside.
(d) In private quarters.
8. What did the relationship that Ulrich and his rescuer share carry as an ominous feeling?
(a) Temporary nature.
9. When her friendship with Ulrich escalated, which of the following types of intimacy developed between them in Chapter 12?
10. Who was Ulrich's lover in Chapter 5?
11. Which of the following did the person whom Ulrich met leave him with in Chapter 20?
(a) A sense of hard work.
(b) A sense of aristocracy.
(c) A sense of humility.
(d) A sense of laziness.
12. Which of the following were women expected to emphasize while remaining demure in Chapter 15?
(a) Hair and legs.
(b) Bosoms and behinds.
(c) Curves and smiles.
(d) Eyes and makeup.
13. Who was on trial in Chapter 30?
14. Which of the following did Ulrich join after he finished school?
(a) The military.
(b) An alumni association.
(c) A union.
(d) A choir.
15. Where did Musil relocate when the Nazis' power grew?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the judge try to bring into question about the defendant in Chapter 30?
2. In Chapter 8, which of the following did the narrator describe as a form of intimacy that was not right?
3. What did the issue of sanity do for the person in question in Chapter 32?
4. Which of the following was a factor that led Ulrich's rescuer into extramarital affairs?
5. Where did Musil spend most of his life?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)