|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Diotoma transforming herself in Chapter 25?
(a) She was becoming more mature.
(b) She was becoming more loving.
(c) She was becoming more difficult.
(d) She was becoming colder.
2. What was one of the country's characteristics that had changed that Ulrich noticed in Chapter 21?
(a) Its flag.
(b) Its food.
(c) Its architecture.
(d) Its people.
3. Which of the following was affected by the defendant's alleged actions in Chapter 30?
(a) A storefront.
(b) A young man.
(c) A bank.
(d) A young woman.
4. What happened to Ulrich while he was out drinking in Chapter 1?
(a) He was involved in an accident.
(b) He shattered the goblet from which he was drinking.
(c) He was mugged.
(d) He fell down.
5. In Chapter 6, who found Ulrich in a dreadful condition and sent him home in a cab?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A woman.
(c) A fireman.
(d) A priest.
6. Which of the following trait types were discovered with the newness of the Century?
(a) Similar and equitable.
(b) Long and muted.
(c) Fashionable and appealing.
(d) Paradoxical and contradictory.
7. Which of the following traits did Ulrich seem most enamored by in his lover?
(a) Her speech.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her dancing.
(d) Her singing.
8. Who did Ulrich meet and become attracted to in Chapter 22?
9. What was the position in the country that was held by Diotoma's husband in Chapter 25?
(c) Permanent Secretary.
10. Where did Ulrich travel in Chapter 21?
(a) To Australia.
(b) To France.
(c) To Liege.
(d) To Prague.
11. Which of the following was the name of the affected party at the trial in Chapter 30?
(a) Jimmy's store.
(c) First Union Bank.
12. Which of the following countries were close-knit rivals in Chapter 21?
(a) France, England, and Luxembourg.
(b) England, Holland, and Germany.
(c) Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Yugoslavia.
(d) Austria, Germany, and Prussia.
13. What did the judge try to bring into question about the defendant in Chapter 30?
(a) Forgiveness, but no vengeance.
(b) Anger, but no regret.
(c) Remorse, but no regret.
(d) Regret, but no remorse.
14. Whose sanity was under question in Chapter 32?
15. Who rescued Ulrich in Chapter 12?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, which of the following did the narrator describe as a form of intimacy that was not right?
2. Where did Ulrich go after leaving the cavalry?
3. Which of the following did the Northern Europeans lack in terms of literature?
4. According to Musil, which of the following presented a paradox at the turn of the Century?
5. Whom of the following was Ulrich curious about in order to understand what a man of importance was like?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)