|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom of the following was Ulrich apparently better at implementation than in Chapter 15?
2. Why was the woman in Chapter 15 sad about her husband?
(a) Because he was not intellectual.
(b) Because he was not prominent.
(c) Because he was not a hard worker.
(d) Because he was not handsome.
3. Which of the following groups of writers shared the same literary lineage with Musil?
(a) Spencer, Wordsworth, and Shakespeare.
(b) Milton, Yeats, and Balzac.
(c) Goethe, Marx, and Whitmore.
(d) Tolstoy, Balzac, and Dostoevsky.
4. What kind of woman was Ulrich's rescuer?
5. Where did Musil end up living later in life?
6. According to Musil, which of the following characterized the previous Century?
(a) Art, music, and poetry.
(b) Music and philosophy.
(c) War and disease.
(d) Technological advancement and social progress.
7. In Chapter 8, which of the following did the narrator describe as a form of intimacy that was not right?
8. Between which of the following did Ulrich draw a comparison in Chapter 30?
(a) Bonadea's infidelity and Moosbrugger's murders.
(b) Moosbrugger's theft and Bonadea's murders.
(c) Moosabrugger's complicity and Arnheim's theft.
(d) Clarisse's murders and Moosbrugger's theft.
9. Where did Musil spend most of his life?
10. In Chapter 6, who found Ulrich in a dreadful condition and sent him home in a cab?
(a) A fireman.
(b) A policeman.
(c) A priest.
(d) A woman.
11. Which of the following did Ulrich join after he finished school?
(a) A choir.
(b) The military.
(c) An alumni association.
(d) A union.
12. Where did Ulrich travel in Chapter 21?
(a) To France.
(b) To Liege.
(c) To Prague.
(d) To Australia.
13. Which of the following cases did Ulrich discuss with his acquaintance in Chapter 20?
(c) Lichendeit. Feudalist.
14. What was different about Diotoma compared to many women of her social sphere in Chapter 25?
(a) She was more supportive.
(b) She was unfriendlier.
(c) She was more masculine.
(d) She was more determined.
15. What year was Musil born?
Short Answer Questions
1. To which of the following did Ulrich compare the effects of the defendant in Chapter 31?
2. According to Musil, which of the following presented a paradox at the turn of the Century?
3. Who did Ulrich meet and become attracted to in Chapter 22?
4. With whom did Ulrich discuss the crime in Chapter 30?
5. What type of communication did Ulrich find among the people whom he studied and worked with in Chapter 10?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)