|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who rescued Ulrich in Chapter 12?
2. What was one of the country's characteristics that had changed that Ulrich noticed in Chapter 21?
(a) Its flag.
(b) Its people.
(c) Its food.
(d) Its architecture.
3. Which of the following did Ulrich notice that the country that he visited was moving toward in Chapter 21?
(b) Civil war.
(d) Political stalemate.
4. What kind of woman was Ulrich's rescuer?
5. How many chapters are included in the two-volume set of The Man Without Qualities?
6. How did Diotoma react when her husband did not take her new endeavor seriously?
(a) She was distressed.
(b) She was jealous.
(c) She was not perturbed.
(d) She was angry.
7. What did the judge state that the defendant did regularly with other people in Chapter 30?
(a) Blame them.
(b) Fight them.
(c) Deceived them.
(d) Steal from them.
8. Who did Ulrich meet and become attracted to in Chapter 22?
9. According to Ulrich in Chapter 11, what was the paradoxical power of engineering?
(a) That it empowered and enslaved.
(b) That more equipment would end up being broken than getting fixed.
(c) That it led those in the profession to fight and then make peace.
(d) That jobs in the field would open, and then close up.
10. Why was Ulrich in a mess in Chapter 6?
(a) Because he had been in a street fight.
(b) Because he had been feeling sick.
(c) Because he had been shot.
(d) Because he had been in an accident.
11. Whom of the following did Ulrich visit in Chapter 21?
12. Which of the following did Diotoma establish in Chapter 25?
(a) A bakery.
(b) A philanthropic organization.
(c) A salon.
(d) A company.
13. What year was Musil born?
14. Where did Musil relocate when the Nazis' power grew?
15. Which of the following specialty areas best described Ulrich's education?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ulrich spend time with his lover?
2. For which of the following did Diotoma carry the proverbial torch in Chapter 26?
3. Which of the following brought about a story shift in Chapter 22?
4. Whose sanity was under question in Chapter 32?
5. What did Ulrich do to the woman in Chapter 12?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)