|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Diotoma react when her husband did not take her new endeavor seriously?
(a) She was jealous.
(b) She was not perturbed.
(c) She was angry.
(d) She was distressed.
2. What did the judge try to bring into question about the defendant in Chapter 30?
(a) Anger, but no regret.
(b) Remorse, but no regret.
(c) Regret, but no remorse.
(d) Forgiveness, but no vengeance.
3. Which of the following cases did Ulrich discuss with his acquaintance in Chapter 20?
(b) Lichendeit. Feudalist.
4. How many children did the woman who rescued Ulrich have?
5. Where did Musil end up living later in life?
6. Which of the following did Ulrich notice that the country that he visited was moving toward in Chapter 21?
(b) Political stalemate.
(d) Civil war.
7. Where did Ulrich spend time with his lover?
(a) Both - in private quarters and out in public.
(b) Out in public.
(c) In private quarters.
(d) In the rural countryside.
8. Whom of the following was Ulrich apparently better at implementation than in Chapter 15?
9. To which of the following did Ulrich compare the effects of the defendant in Chapter 31?
(a) A priest.
(b) A dog.
(c) A cat.
(d) A broker.
10. Which of the following did Musil write about as being affected by changes at the turn of the Century?
11. According to Ulrich in Chapter 11, what was the paradoxical power of engineering?
(a) That it led those in the profession to fight and then make peace.
(b) That it empowered and enslaved.
(c) That jobs in the field would open, and then close up.
(d) That more equipment would end up being broken than getting fixed.
12. Which of the following were women expected to emphasize while remaining demure in Chapter 15?
(a) Curves and smiles.
(b) Eyes and makeup.
(c) Hair and legs.
(d) Bosoms and behinds.
13. How was Diotoma transforming herself in Chapter 25?
(a) She was becoming more mature.
(b) She was becoming more difficult.
(c) She was becoming colder.
(d) She was becoming more loving.
14. What affair ended in Chapter 33?
(a) The one between Ulrich and Clarisse.
(b) The one between Ulrich and Bonadea.
(c) The one between Moosbrugger and Clarisse.
(d) The one between Arnheim and Bonadea.
15. What year was Musil born?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Musil, which of the following characterized the previous Century?
2. Which of the following did Ulrich notice that the country he visited was in during a protracted period in Chapter 21?
3. Whom of the following was Ulrich curious about in order to understand what a man of importance was like?
4. Where did Musil relocate when the Nazis' power grew?
5. Whom of the following did Ulrich meet in Chapter 20?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)