|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was Robert Musil's nationality?
2. Who was Diotoma's husband?
3. How many children did the woman who rescued Ulrich have?
4. Which of the following did Ulrich's lover do for a living?
(a) Waited tables.
(b) Cooked meals.
(c) Danced nude.
(d) Sang in a cabaret.
5. What affair ended in Chapter 33?
(a) The one between Moosbrugger and Clarisse.
(b) The one between Ulrich and Clarisse.
(c) The one between Arnheim and Bonadea.
(d) The one between Ulrich and Bonadea.
6. Which of the following was affected by the defendant's alleged actions in Chapter 30?
(a) A young man.
(b) A bank.
(c) A storefront.
(d) A young woman.
7. Where did Ulrich spend time with his lover?
(a) Both - in private quarters and out in public.
(b) Out in public.
(c) In the rural countryside.
(d) In private quarters.
8. Which of the following statements best describes what the Count said to Diotoma about her idea in Chapter 25?
(a) That it was too difficult to comprehend.
(b) That it was a foolish idea.
(c) That it was too expensive.
(d) That it was a point of cultural development.
9. With whom did Ulrich discuss the crime in Chapter 30?
10. Which of the following did the Northern Europeans lack in terms of literature?
(a) Gothic literature.
(b) Sturm und Drang.
11. According to Musil, which of the following types of behaviors were expected of women?
(a) Being demanding and unrelenting.
(b) Being provocative and bold.
(c) Being talkative and pushy.
(d) Being alluring - yet shy.
12. How did Diotoma react when her husband did not take her new endeavor seriously?
(a) She was jealous.
(b) She was angry.
(c) She was not perturbed.
(d) She was distressed.
13. According to Musil, which of the following geographical areas emphasized decorum, yet allure in dress?
(a) America and Canada.
(b) Asia and the Pacific.
(c) England and France.
(d) Austria and Germany.
14. What was one of the country's characteristics that had changed that Ulrich noticed in Chapter 21?
(a) Its flag.
(b) Its architecture.
(c) Its food.
(d) Its people.
15. Which of the following traits possessed by Ulrich's lover did not become apparent at first, but rather became evident later?
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did her husband appear more gifted than Ulrich in Chapter 15?
2. Whom of the following was Ulrich curious about in order to understand what a man of importance was like?
3. What did the judge try to bring into question about the defendant in Chapter 30?
4. Which of the following did the person whom Ulrich met leave him with in Chapter 20?
5. In Chapter 8, which of the following did the narrator describe as a form of intimacy that was not right?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)