|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ulrich in Chapter 11, which of the following gave humans tremendous power through their use?
2. Who rescued Ulrich in Chapter 12?
3. To whom did her husband appear more gifted than Ulrich in Chapter 15?
4. Which of the following were women expected to emphasize while remaining demure in Chapter 15?
(a) Bosoms and behinds.
(b) Curves and smiles.
(c) Eyes and makeup.
(d) Hair and legs.
5. What was the position in the country that was held by Diotoma's husband in Chapter 25?
(b) Permanent Secretary.
6. Which of the following did Musil write about as being affected by changes at the turn of the Century?
7. What did the judge state that the defendant did regularly with other people in Chapter 30?
(a) Fight them.
(b) Steal from them.
(c) Blame them.
(d) Deceived them.
8. Which of the following did Ulrich notice that the country he visited was in during a protracted period in Chapter 21?
(a) Political stalemate.
(c) Civil war.
9. Where did Ulrich go after leaving the cavalry?
(a) To offer his services for rescue work.
(b) To drama school.
(c) Into the education field.
(d) Into the civil engineering field.
10. What year was Musil born?
11. Which of the following was affected by the defendant's alleged actions in Chapter 30?
(a) A young woman.
(b) A young man.
(c) A storefront.
(d) A bank.
12. Which of the following traits possessed by Ulrich's lover did not become apparent at first, but rather became evident later?
13. Where did Ulrich spend time with his lover?
(a) In private quarters.
(b) Both - in private quarters and out in public.
(c) Out in public.
(d) In the rural countryside.
14. What did the issue of sanity do for the person in question in Chapter 32?
(a) Removed obstacles.
(b) Lighten the sentence.
(c) Bring forth a pardon.
(d) Offered sympathy.
15. Where did Musil end up living later in life?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was on trial in Chapter 30?
2. Where did Musil spend most of his life?
3. For which of the following did Diotoma carry the proverbial torch in Chapter 26?
4. Who arrived at the end of Chapter 25?
5. Which of the following countries were close-knit rivals in Chapter 21?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)