|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did Ulrich's lover do for a living?
(a) Sang in a cabaret.
(b) Waited tables.
(c) Cooked meals.
(d) Danced nude.
2. Why was Ulrich in a mess in Chapter 6?
(a) Because he had been in a street fight.
(b) Because he had been in an accident.
(c) Because he had been feeling sick.
(d) Because he had been shot.
3. Which of the following traits did Ulrich seem most enamored by in his lover?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her singing.
(c) Her speech.
(d) Her dancing.
4. Where did Musil relocate when the Nazis' power grew?
5. How many children did the woman who rescued Ulrich have?
6. Which of the following groups of writers shared the same literary lineage with Musil?
(a) Milton, Yeats, and Balzac.
(b) Spencer, Wordsworth, and Shakespeare.
(c) Tolstoy, Balzac, and Dostoevsky.
(d) Goethe, Marx, and Whitmore.
7. According to Musil, which of the following types of behaviors were expected of women?
(a) Being demanding and unrelenting.
(b) Being talkative and pushy.
(c) Being provocative and bold.
(d) Being alluring - yet shy.
8. Which of the following was the War in which Musil served?
(a) World War II.
(b) Korean War.
(c) Austro-Hungarian War.
(d) World War I.
9. For which of the following did Diotoma carry the proverbial torch in Chapter 26?
(a) For the Political Campaign.
(b) For the Species Campaign.
(c) For the Cultural Campaign.
(d) For the Collateral Campaign.
10. In Chapter 1, what was uncertain at the scene when the ambulance arrived?
(a) Whether Ulrich was guilty.
(b) Whether the driver was present.
(c) Whether Ulrich would defend himself.
(d) Whether the victim was dead or alive.
11. Which of the following did Ulrich notice that the country that he visited was moving toward in Chapter 21?
(b) Political stalemate.
(c) Civil war.
12. Where did Ulrich spend time with his lover?
(a) Both - in private quarters and out in public.
(b) In private quarters.
(c) Out in public.
(d) In the rural countryside.
13. When her friendship with Ulrich escalated, which of the following types of intimacy developed between them in Chapter 12?
14. Whose sanity was under question in Chapter 32?
15. Which of the following countries were close-knit rivals in Chapter 21?
(a) England, Holland, and Germany.
(b) Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Yugoslavia.
(c) France, England, and Luxembourg.
(d) Austria, Germany, and Prussia.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ulrich in Chapter 11, what was the paradoxical power of engineering?
2. How many people did Ulrich face in Chapter 6?
3. Which of the following did the person whom Ulrich met leave him with in Chapter 20?
4. Whom of the following did Ulrich visit in Chapter 21?
5. What was the name of the person whom people wanted Ulrich to meet in Chapter 22?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)