|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Ulrich in a mess in Chapter 6?
(a) Because he had been in a street fight.
(b) Because he had been feeling sick.
(c) Because he had been shot.
(d) Because he had been in an accident.
2. What affair ended in Chapter 33?
(a) The one between Ulrich and Clarisse.
(b) The one between Moosbrugger and Clarisse.
(c) The one between Ulrich and Bonadea.
(d) The one between Arnheim and Bonadea.
3. Which of the following cases did Ulrich discuss with his acquaintance in Chapter 20?
(a) Lichendeit. Feudalist.
4. Where did Ulrich travel in Chapter 21?
(a) To Australia.
(b) To France.
(c) To Prague.
(d) To Liege.
5. Whose sanity was under question in Chapter 32?
6. In Chapter 6, who found Ulrich in a dreadful condition and sent him home in a cab?
(a) A woman.
(b) A fireman.
(c) A policeman.
(d) A priest.
7. Where did Ulrich spend time with his lover?
(a) In private quarters.
(b) Out in public.
(c) In the rural countryside.
(d) Both - in private quarters and out in public.
8. How many children did the woman who rescued Ulrich have?
9. Which of the following was affected by the defendant's alleged actions in Chapter 30?
(a) A bank.
(b) A young woman.
(c) A young man.
(d) A storefront.
10. Which of the following types of commoner was Diotoma's husband?
11. Where did Ulrich go after leaving the cavalry?
(a) To drama school.
(b) To offer his services for rescue work.
(c) Into the civil engineering field.
(d) Into the education field.
12. How many chapters are included in the two-volume set of The Man Without Qualities?
13. How did Diotoma react when her husband did not take her new endeavor seriously?
(a) She was angry.
(b) She was distressed.
(c) She was not perturbed.
(d) She was jealous.
14. According to Ulrich in Chapter 11, which of the following gave humans tremendous power through their use?
15. Which of the following did Ulrich's lover do for a living?
(a) Cooked meals.
(b) Waited tables.
(c) Danced nude.
(d) Sang in a cabaret.
Short Answer Questions
1. When her friendship with Ulrich escalated, which of the following types of intimacy developed between them in Chapter 12?
2. Which of the following was the name of the affected party at the trial in Chapter 30?
3. Which of the following groups of writers shared the same literary lineage with Musil?
4. Whom of the following did Ulrich meet in Chapter 20?
5. What city did Musil live in later in life as a post-Expressionist writer?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)