|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following groups of writers shared the same literary lineage with Musil?
(a) Goethe, Marx, and Whitmore.
(b) Spencer, Wordsworth, and Shakespeare.
(c) Tolstoy, Balzac, and Dostoevsky.
(d) Milton, Yeats, and Balzac.
2. Which of the following did Ulrich notice that the country that he visited was moving toward in Chapter 21?
(c) Political stalemate.
(d) Civil war.
3. How many people did Ulrich face in Chapter 6?
4. Which of the following did Ulrich notice that the country he visited was in during a protracted period in Chapter 21?
(a) Civil war.
(b) Political stalemate.
5. In Chapter 6, who found Ulrich in a dreadful condition and sent him home in a cab?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A priest.
(c) A fireman.
(d) A woman.
6. In Chapter 1, what was uncertain at the scene when the ambulance arrived?
(a) Whether the victim was dead or alive.
(b) Whether Ulrich would defend himself.
(c) Whether Ulrich was guilty.
(d) Whether the driver was present.
7. What type of communication did Ulrich find among the people whom he studied and worked with in Chapter 10?
8. Which of the following was affected by the defendant's alleged actions in Chapter 30?
(a) A storefront.
(b) A young man.
(c) A bank.
(d) A young woman.
9. What was different about Diotoma compared to many women of her social sphere in Chapter 25?
(a) She was more determined.
(b) She was more supportive.
(c) She was unfriendlier.
(d) She was more masculine.
10. According to Musil, which of the following characterized the previous Century?
(a) Music and philosophy.
(b) War and disease.
(c) Art, music, and poetry.
(d) Technological advancement and social progress.
11. According to Ulrich in Chapter 11, what was the paradoxical power of engineering?
(a) That it led those in the profession to fight and then make peace.
(b) That more equipment would end up being broken than getting fixed.
(c) That jobs in the field would open, and then close up.
(d) That it empowered and enslaved.
12. How was Diotoma transforming herself in Chapter 25?
(a) She was becoming more mature.
(b) She was becoming more loving.
(c) She was becoming colder.
(d) She was becoming more difficult.
13. What year was Musil born?
14. Where did Musil spend most of his life?
15. For which of the following did Diotoma carry the proverbial torch in Chapter 26?
(a) For the Political Campaign.
(b) For the Collateral Campaign.
(c) For the Cultural Campaign.
(d) For the Species Campaign.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ulrich spend time with his lover?
2. What did the relationship that Ulrich and his rescuer share carry as an ominous feeling?
3. Which of the following did Ulrich join after he finished school?
4. Who was Ulrich's lover in Chapter 5?
5. How many children did the woman who rescued Ulrich have?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)