|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Diotima's reaction when Ulrich discusses the relationship between herself and Arnheim in Chapter 101?
(a) She laughs and asks who told him such a story.
(b) She blushes deeply and admits that love has grown between them.
(c) She dismisses his concerns but appears somewhat uncomfortable.
(d) She admits that they have affection for one another and doesn't appear to see anything wrong with it.
2. What type of person is Ulrich in terms of his relationships?
(a) An adulterer.
(b) A bigamist.
(c) A polygamist.
(d) A serial monogamist.
3. What does Ulrich notice about his own behavior in Chapter 103?
(a) He can be very manipulative when he wants to be and has no intention of changing that.
(b) He is unable to conform to societal standards that he doesn't think are justified.
(c) There have been inconsistencies in his behavior throughout his life, and that probably won't change.
(d) His behavior used to be inconsistent, but he has been working on that, and getting better.
4. How does Bonadea feel about her husband?
(a) She used to love him, but doesn't anymore.
(b) Her feelings about him are never explicitly stated.
(c) She didn't love him when they got married but now feels affectionate toward him.
(d) She never loved him.
5. For whom does Soliman work?
(c) General Stumm.
(d) The Tuzzis.
6. What does Arnheim ask Diotima in Chapter 105?
(a) To divorce her husband.
(b) To run away with him.
(c) To have an affair with him.
(d) To marry him.
7. What country is mentioned with regard to the challenge of keeping diverse forces united in Chapter 116?
8. Why does Bonadea take an interest in Moosbrugger's welfare in Chapter 115?
(a) Her motives are never explicitly stated.
(b) She feels maternal toward him because he is much younger.
(c) She sees a picture of him, and finds him attractive.
(d) She has a gut feeling that he is innocent.
9. What concept is being showcased in Chapter 119?
(a) Serial monogamy.
(b) Social pressure.
(c) Consequences of adultery.
(d) Violence in the media.
10. Why do Rachel and Soliman find it difficult to be together in Chapter 117?
(a) Their master and mistress, whether intentionally or not, keep interfering with their plans.
(b) They are not allowed to leave their respective homes.
(c) There is no place for them to rendezvous without being caught.
(d) They both have too much work to do, and can't find time to be alone.
11. What is the main interest outsiders seem to show in Moosbrugger, according to the information presented in Chapter 110?
(a) Whether he can be rehabilitated.
(b) Whether he feels remorse for his crime.
(c) Whether he is crazy.
(d) Whether he was really guilty of committing a crime.
12. What does Racheal realize in Chapter 104?
(a) How rich Arnheim really is.
(b) How much better her life could be if she purchased her freedom.
(c) How much Soliman cares for her.
(d) How unimportant her well-being is, to her mistress.
13. Ulrich notices in Chapter 122 that Arnheim refers to Goethe in what way?
(a) As an authority figure when Arnheim needs the support.
(b) As an example of a talented person who didn't know how to properly execute his ideas.
(c) As someone who, Arnheim feels, represents the spirit of his campaign.
(d) As an example of a person who knew how to execute ideas, but who didn't have much talent.
14. For whom does Rachel work?
(b) The Tuzzis.
(c) General Stumm.
15. It is revealed in Chapter 116 that Arnheim is working for whom?
(a) The King of Prussia.
(b) The Permanent Secretary of Austria.
(c) The Czar of Russia.
(d) The President of the United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ulrich decide not to write a book in Chapter 103?
2. Arnheim is convinced in Chapter 112 that Ulrich is doing what?
3. The people wish that there were a living generation to experience what, according to Chapter 108?
4. How is the Collateral Campaign viewed as of Chapter 116?
5. What is the result of the position of the child and servant, according to the author in Chapter 113?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)