|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two things does the General compare when talking to Ulrich in Chapter 100?
(a) Warfare and politics.
(b) Schools and libraries.
(c) Politics and school.
(d) Warfare and libraries.
2. How does Ulrich respond during the demonstrations in Chapter 120?
(a) He tries to calm the crowd.
(b) He stands to defend the person they are protesting.
(c) He gets involved in the protest.
(d) He watches from a distance.
3. What point of view does the author use in Chapter 119 to relate the thoughts and feelings of Ulrich and Gerda?
(a) First-person omniscient.
(c) Third-person omniscient.
(d) Third-person limited.
4. How is the Collateral Campaign viewed as of Chapter 116?
(a) As a diversion for Diotima.
(b) As an aristocratic hobby.
(c) As a place to make business connections.
(d) As having great political significance.
5. What author does General Stumm recommend to Ulrich in Chapter 100?
6. What is Gerda's reaction when Ulrich tries to take her to bed in Chapter 119?
(a) She panics and screams.
(b) She slaps him in the face.
(c) She reluctantly acquiesces.
(d) She eagerly complies.
7. What is said about Diotima in Chapter 108?
(a) She is praised for maintaining an appropriate, nonsexual relationship with Arnheim, despite her feelings for him.
(b) She is criticized for allowing herself to fall in love with another man.
(c) She is credited with having an interest in the concept of redemption.
(d) She is praised for her involvement in social service.
8. According to the author in Chapter 116, there is sometimes a relationship between what two concepts?
(a) Love and anger.
(b) Deceit and love.
(c) Anger and peace.
(d) Violence and deceit.
9. Where are Rachel and Soliman in Chapter 104?
(a) At a party which their employers have attended.
(b) At Soliman's house.
(c) At Rache's house.
(d) At a hotel.
10. Why doesn't Ulrich get to see Diotima when he goes to visit her in Chapter 121?
(a) She is ill.
(b) Her husband won't let her see anyone.
(c) She is visiting with someone else.
(d) She is not in.
11. How does Ulrich feel about his relationship with Arnheim in Chapter 112?
(a) Arnheim wants to have a relationship with him, but he doesn't want one.
(b) It is odd, at best.
(c) They are quite close, and trust one another.
(d) Ulrich feels that Arnheim is just using him.
12. Who is the gathered crowd protesting in Chapter 120?
(b) Count Leinsdorf.
(d) The General.
13. What is the concept of "diminished responsibility," as defined in Chapter 110?
(a) The fact that a criminal will often feel that his partner committed the majority of the crime, regardless of how large or small his role was.
(b) The less control a person had over their actions when a crime was committed, the less sane they were, and the less severe their punishment will be.
(c) The more witnesses there were to a crime, the less likely it is that any individual will come forward.
(d) The way a criminal feels less remorse for his crimes the longer he remains in prison.
14. What is one of the main reasons Walter doesn't trust Ulrich?
(a) Ulrich has expressed an attraction toward Clarisse.
(b) Ulrich stole money from Walter.
(c) Ulrich has had affairs with married women.
(d) Ulrich once stole Walter's girlfriend.
15. How does General Stumm's relationship with Ulrich develop?
(a) The General doesn't understand why he has begun feeling as though he can confide in Ulrich.
(b) The General feels that he should be careful what he tells Ulrich because he doesn't trust him completely.
(c) Ulrich doesn't really want the General to confide in him, but he does it anyway.
(d) The General feels that he can tell Ulrich anything and can trust Ulrich not to betray him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ulrich and Arnheim decide regarding Moosbrugger in Chapter 121?
2. According to the author in Chapter 112, at what point does a great man cease to be great?
3. What is the result of the position of the child and servant, according to the author in Chapter 113?
4. Why isn't Ulrich surprised by the relationship that Arnheim and Diotima have?
5. Arnheim is convinced in Chapter 112 that Ulrich is doing what?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)