|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Arnheim believe about moral and material wealth?
(a) They are one and the same.
(b) They go together.
(c) They are mutually exclusive.
(d) They sometimes coexist.
2. Who initiated the affair between Ulrich and Bonadea?
(a) No one; it was a mutual decision.
(c) It is never stated.
3. Arnheim is revealed in Chapter 116 to be acting as what?
(a) A combat tactician.
(b) An informal spy.
(c) A representative for a much larger corporation.
(d) A reservist soldier.
4. According to the author in Chapter 116, there is sometimes a relationship between what two concepts?
(a) Love and anger.
(b) Deceit and love.
(c) Anger and peace.
(d) Violence and deceit.
5. How is the Collateral Campaign viewed as of Chapter 116?
(a) As a place to make business connections.
(b) As having great political significance.
(c) As an aristocratic hobby.
(d) As a diversion for Diotima.
6. What is the main interest outsiders seem to show in Moosbrugger, according to the information presented in Chapter 110?
(a) Whether he feels remorse for his crime.
(b) Whether he was really guilty of committing a crime.
(c) Whether he can be rehabilitated.
(d) Whether he is crazy.
7. What type of person is Ulrich in terms of his relationships?
(a) An adulterer.
(b) A serial monogamist.
(c) A polygamist.
(d) A bigamist.
8. What surfaces during a heated argument between Walter and Clarisse in Chapter 118?
(a) Walter's jealousy over Ulrich's relationship with his wife.
(b) Clarisse's love for Ulrich.
(c) Clarisse's resentment at Walter's inability to provide for her in the manner to which she is accustomed.
(d) Walter's lack of romantic feelings toward his wife.
9. What is one of the main reasons Walter doesn't trust Ulrich?
(a) Ulrich once stole Walter's girlfriend.
(b) Ulrich stole money from Walter.
(c) Ulrich has expressed an attraction toward Clarisse.
(d) Ulrich has had affairs with married women.
10. How does Ulrich respond to Arnheim's offer in Chapter 121?
(a) He accepts and is excited and grateful to Arnheim.
(b) He declines because it is not really in his best interests.
(c) He declines because he is suspicious of Arnheim's motives.
(d) He accepts, but only because he feels obligated to.
11. Why does Arnheim make some irrational presumptions about wealth, according to the author in Chapter 106?
(a) He was born into wealth instead of having to work his way into it.
(b) He doesn't want to be wealthy and doesn't appreciate the opportunities being wealthy has given him.
(c) His family had some strange ideas about wealth.
(d) He doesn't understand the ideals and motivations of middle-class people.
12. How did Gerda meet Hans Sepp?
(a) He was a tutor hired by Gerda's father.
(b) He was one of Gerda's father's employees.
(c) He was an officer in the military, and she met him at a military function.
(d) He was the brother of one of her good friends.
13. What is Rachel's main concern at the end of Chapter 117?
(a) She might get fired.
(b) Soliman might be hurt.
(c) Her sister needs her help.
(d) She may be pregnant.
14. What is the concept of "diminished responsibility," as defined in Chapter 110?
(a) The way a criminal feels less remorse for his crimes the longer he remains in prison.
(b) The less control a person had over their actions when a crime was committed, the less sane they were, and the less severe their punishment will be.
(c) The more witnesses there were to a crime, the less likely it is that any individual will come forward.
(d) The fact that a criminal will often feel that his partner committed the majority of the crime, regardless of how large or small his role was.
15. According to the author in Chapter 116, what is the main thing that is holding Ulrich back?
(a) He is not as intelligent as he tries to make people believe he is.
(b) His wife.
(c) His social status.
(d) He suppresses parts of his personality.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who expresses concern in Chapter 107, about Arnheim's relationship with Diotima?
2. What does Bonadea do to maintain a semblance of decorum and discretion as described in Chapter 109?
3. Of what offense does Diotima accuse Ulrich in Chapter 101?
4. What does Count Leinsdorf advise Diotima to study in Chapter 114?
5. Which individual is not mentioned by Ulrich as one of his long-term friends in Chapter 103?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)