|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ulrich view Arnheim, according to the information presented in Chapter 112?
(a) As ungrateful and rude.
(b) As vastly more influential than himself.
(c) As undeserving of his wealth and status.
(d) As presumptuous and deluded.
2. What does Ulrich do when he encounters a prostitute in Chapter 122?
(a) He spits on her and walks away.
(b) He gives her money but doesn't want her services.
(c) Nothing; he ignores her and walks on.
(d) He gives her money in exchange for services.
3. What does Arnheim do for the first time in Chapter 116?
(a) Sits through an entire meeting without saying a word.
(b) Makes reference to the current delicate political situation.
(c) Speaks for the Germans as if he is one and not as an outsider.
(d) Speaks to everyone in attendance, men and women alike, as equals.
4. Ulrich notices in Chapter 122 that Arnheim refers to Goethe in what way?
(a) As an example of a person who knew how to execute ideas, but who didn't have much talent.
(b) As an example of a talented person who didn't know how to properly execute his ideas.
(c) As someone who, Arnheim feels, represents the spirit of his campaign.
(d) As an authority figure when Arnheim needs the support.
5. It is revealed in Chapter 116 that Arnheim is working for whom?
(a) The President of the United States.
(b) The Czar of Russia.
(c) The King of Prussia.
(d) The Permanent Secretary of Austria.
6. Arnheim is convinced in Chapter 112 that Ulrich is doing what?
(a) Trying to push Arnheim away from Diotima, so that he can be with her.
(b) Using Arnheim as a means to garner favor with Count Leinsdorf.
(c) Speaking poorly of Arnheim to others, including Diotima.
(d) Trying to sabotage Arnheim's business ventures.
7. What do Ulrich and Arnheim decide regarding Moosbrugger in Chapter 121?
(a) That it is a shame that he was imprisoned, but there isn't anything they can do about it.
(b) Protecting the community from him is more important than his welfare.
(c) That they should raise money for him to appeal his sentencing.
(d) That if he were executed, it would save the community a great deal of money.
8. Why does Bonadea take an interest in Moosbrugger's welfare in Chapter 115?
(a) She has a gut feeling that he is innocent.
(b) Her motives are never explicitly stated.
(c) She sees a picture of him, and finds him attractive.
(d) She feels maternal toward him because he is much younger.
9. What is General Stumm's reason for recommending a certain author to Ulrich in Chapter 100?
(a) The author's point of view was very different from Ulrich's, and General Stumm wanted him to consider the opposing viewpoint.
(b) The author was a relative of General Stumm's, and he was trying to drum up business for him.
(c) Many intellectuals with whom Stumm associated had read this author, and Ulrich needed to be able to discuss his works with them.
(d) The author explored the limitations of intellect and perception, something which Ulrich is interested in exploring.
10. According to the author in Chapter 116, there is sometimes a relationship between what two concepts?
(a) Love and anger.
(b) Violence and deceit.
(c) Anger and peace.
(d) Deceit and love.
11. How does Gerda learn of Arnheim's ulterior motives in Chapter 119?
(a) From her father.
(b) By reading his mail.
(c) From Diotima.
(d) By eavesdropping on his conversations.
12. What country is mentioned with regard to the challenge of keeping diverse forces united in Chapter 116?
13. What is Gerda's reaction when Ulrich tries to take her to bed in Chapter 119?
(a) She reluctantly acquiesces.
(b) She panics and screams.
(c) She eagerly complies.
(d) She slaps him in the face.
14. How does Ulrich respond during the demonstrations in Chapter 120?
(a) He gets involved in the protest.
(b) He stands to defend the person they are protesting.
(c) He watches from a distance.
(d) He tries to calm the crowd.
15. What does Count Leinsdorf advise Diotima to study in Chapter 114?
(a) The behavior of certain birds.
(b) The writings of Karl Marx.
(c) The Makart.
(d) The Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Diotima's husband feel about the revelations regarding Arnheim in Chapter 116?
2. Arnheim is revealed in Chapter 116 to be acting as what?
3. What surfaces during a heated argument between Walter and Clarisse in Chapter 118?
4. What is the purpose of the laws regarding children and slaves, according to the information in Chapter 113?
5. What is Bonadea's husband's rank in the military?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)