|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the ultimate result of Ulrich and Gerda's interactions in Chapter 119?
(a) Both are satisfied and glad they did it.
(b) Ulrich is satisfied, but Gerda is disappointed.
(c) Ulrich is disappointed, and Gerda is mortified.
(d) Ulrich comforts Gerda, and both are all right.
2. What is one of the main reasons Walter doesn't trust Ulrich?
(a) Ulrich once stole Walter's girlfriend.
(b) Ulrich has had affairs with married women.
(c) Ulrich has expressed an attraction toward Clarisse.
(d) Ulrich stole money from Walter.
3. What changes about Rachel as a result of her relationship with Soliman in Chapter 104?
(a) She becomes sneaky and snoopish.
(b) She starts saving money to run away.
(c) She is no longer happy living the life of a slave.
(d) She begins to be insubordinate and talks back to her master.
4. What is the result of the position of the child and servant, according to the author in Chapter 113?
(a) They are prone to abuse.
(b) They are treated in a similar fashion.
(c) Both are able to better their positions, but only with difficulty.
(d) They are usually the loser in court cases.
5. According to Chapter 113, what is the position of the child and servant?
(a) One is property, while the other is family.
(b) There is no legal definition of the child's position as there is for the servant's.
(c) Both are legally considered property but are typically treated as family.
(d) They are seen as property.
6. What did Ulrich do to offend Arnheim in Chapter 112?
(a) Showed up late to one of his parties.
(b) Spoke too directly with him.
(c) Related his disgust with a political figure, whom Arnheim supported.
(d) Presumed to criticize Arnheim's sense of fashion.
7. Why isn't Ulrich surprised by the relationship that Arnheim and Diotima have?
(a) He never understood why her husband tolerated Arnheim's attentions toward her.
(b) Arnheim had told Ulrich about his plan to woo Diotima.
(c) Arnheim had all the same qualities that caused Diotima to fall in love with her husband.
(d) Diotima had a propensity for becoming infatuated with men she couldn't have.
8. Who are the Kakanians?
(a) Austrians who emigrated to the countries surrounding Austria.
(b) The author never expressly defines the term.
(c) Refugees who fled to Austria during World War I.
(d) People from a mountainous range north of Austria.
9. To whom does Gerda go with her knowledge of Arnheim's motives in Chapter 119?
10. What is Diotima's reaction when Ulrich discusses the relationship between herself and Arnheim in Chapter 101?
(a) She admits that they have affection for one another and doesn't appear to see anything wrong with it.
(b) She blushes deeply and admits that love has grown between them.
(c) She dismisses his concerns but appears somewhat uncomfortable.
(d) She laughs and asks who told him such a story.
11. What type of person is Ulrich in terms of his relationships?
(a) A polygamist.
(b) An adulterer.
(c) A bigamist.
(d) A serial monogamist.
12. What concept does Arnheim ponder in Chapter 106?
13. When Moosbrugger's trial reached the courts, what type of issue did it become?
14. What role, formerly belonging to Arnheim, is usurped by Hans Sepp in Chapter 113?
(a) The role of acting as a go-between for the middle and upper classes.
(b) The role of helping the less fortunate to educate themselves.
(c) The role of representing the Germans at Diotima's salons.
(d) The role of showering attention on Diotima and causing her to become infatuated with him.
15. Arnheim is revealed in Chapter 116 to be acting as what?
(a) A representative for a much larger corporation.
(b) An informal spy.
(c) A reservist soldier.
(d) A combat tactician.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is giving a speech in Chapter 116?
2. During the protests in Chapter 120, Arnheim is viewed as a representative of what country?
3. What concept is being showcased in Chapter 119?
4. Who ended Ulrich and Bonadea's affair?
5. What is Gerda's reaction when Ulrich tries to take her to bed in Chapter 119?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)