|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens between Gerda and Ulrich in Chapter 119?
(a) They kiss.
(b) They have an argument.
(c) They stop seeing one another.
(d) They plan a secret rendezvous.
2. Why do Rachel and Soliman find it difficult to be together in Chapter 117?
(a) There is no place for them to rendezvous without being caught.
(b) They both have too much work to do, and can't find time to be alone.
(c) Their master and mistress, whether intentionally or not, keep interfering with their plans.
(d) They are not allowed to leave their respective homes.
3. Who initiated the affair between Ulrich and Bonadea?
(b) It is never stated.
(d) No one; it was a mutual decision.
4. What societal problem is present in the novel for the first time in Chapter 120?
(d) Political unrest.
5. What surfaces during a heated argument between Walter and Clarisse in Chapter 118?
(a) Walter's jealousy over Ulrich's relationship with his wife.
(b) Walter's lack of romantic feelings toward his wife.
(c) Clarisse's love for Ulrich.
(d) Clarisse's resentment at Walter's inability to provide for her in the manner to which she is accustomed.
6. How does Ulrich view Arnheim, according to the information presented in Chapter 112?
(a) As vastly more influential than himself.
(b) As undeserving of his wealth and status.
(c) As presumptuous and deluded.
(d) As ungrateful and rude.
7. What does Arnheim believe about moral and material wealth?
(a) They are mutually exclusive.
(b) They go together.
(c) They sometimes coexist.
(d) They are one and the same.
8. Where are Rachel and Soliman in Chapter 104?
(a) At Rache's house.
(b) At a party which their employers have attended.
(c) At Soliman's house.
(d) At a hotel.
9. During the protests in Chapter 120, Arnheim is viewed as a representative of what country?
10. Why doesn't Ulrich get to see Diotima when he goes to visit her in Chapter 121?
(a) Her husband won't let her see anyone.
(b) She is visiting with someone else.
(c) She is not in.
(d) She is ill.
11. Why does Ulrich attempt to sleep with Gerda in Chapter 119?
(a) He doesn't really want to but feels obligated to.
(b) He wants to ruin her relationship with her fiance.
(c) He wants to be able to blackmail her later.
(d) He has been attracted to her for years.
12. According to Chapter 113, what is the position of the child and servant?
(a) They are seen as property.
(b) There is no legal definition of the child's position as there is for the servant's.
(c) Both are legally considered property but are typically treated as family.
(d) One is property, while the other is family.
13. Why isn't Ulrich surprised by the relationship that Arnheim and Diotima have?
(a) He never understood why her husband tolerated Arnheim's attentions toward her.
(b) Diotima had a propensity for becoming infatuated with men she couldn't have.
(c) Arnheim had all the same qualities that caused Diotima to fall in love with her husband.
(d) Arnheim had told Ulrich about his plan to woo Diotima.
14. What type of person is Ulrich in terms of his relationships?
(a) A serial monogamist.
(b) An adulterer.
(c) A bigamist.
(d) A polygamist.
15. What is Diotima's reaction when Ulrich discusses the relationship between herself and Arnheim in Chapter 101?
(a) She laughs and asks who told him such a story.
(b) She blushes deeply and admits that love has grown between them.
(c) She dismisses his concerns but appears somewhat uncomfortable.
(d) She admits that they have affection for one another and doesn't appear to see anything wrong with it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rachel's main concern at the end of Chapter 117?
2. What is General Stumm's reason for recommending a certain author to Ulrich in Chapter 100?
3. When Moosbrugger's trial reached the courts, what type of issue did it become?
4. What point of view does the author use in Chapter 119 to relate the thoughts and feelings of Ulrich and Gerda?
5. How does Ulrich feel about his relationship with Arnheim in Chapter 112?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)