|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Arnheim is convinced in Chapter 112 that Ulrich is doing what?
(a) Trying to push Arnheim away from Diotima, so that he can be with her.
(b) Trying to sabotage Arnheim's business ventures.
(c) Speaking poorly of Arnheim to others, including Diotima.
(d) Using Arnheim as a means to garner favor with Count Leinsdorf.
2. What type of person is Ulrich in terms of his relationships?
(a) A serial monogamist.
(b) A bigamist.
(c) A polygamist.
(d) An adulterer.
3. Which individual is not mentioned by Ulrich as one of his long-term friends in Chapter 103?
4. What is the relationship between Ulrich and Diotima?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) She is his aunt.
(c) They are siblings.
(d) He is her brother-in-law.
5. According to Chapter 113, what is the position of the child and servant?
(a) There is no legal definition of the child's position as there is for the servant's.
(b) They are seen as property.
(c) One is property, while the other is family.
(d) Both are legally considered property but are typically treated as family.
6. What is one of the main reasons Walter doesn't trust Ulrich?
(a) Ulrich has had affairs with married women.
(b) Ulrich once stole Walter's girlfriend.
(c) Ulrich has expressed an attraction toward Clarisse.
(d) Ulrich stole money from Walter.
7. Of what offense does Diotima accuse Ulrich in Chapter 101?
(a) Trying to steal one of her best friends.
(b) Trying to pry into her personal affairs.
(c) Trying to manipulate her.
(d) Trying to undermine Arnheim.
8. Why does Arnheim make some irrational presumptions about wealth, according to the author in Chapter 106?
(a) His family had some strange ideas about wealth.
(b) He doesn't understand the ideals and motivations of middle-class people.
(c) He was born into wealth instead of having to work his way into it.
(d) He doesn't want to be wealthy and doesn't appreciate the opportunities being wealthy has given him.
9. Where are Rachel and Soliman in Chapter 104?
(a) At a party which their employers have attended.
(b) At Rache's house.
(c) At Soliman's house.
(d) At a hotel.
10. Where does General Stumm take Ulrich, in Chapter 100?
(a) To a banquet held in the General's honor.
(b) To his uncle's grave.
(c) To his family home.
(d) To the State Library.
11. Why does Gerda decide to tell the person she tells in Chapter 119?
(a) She wanted to blackmail the person with her knowledge.
(b) She wanted a reason to talk to someone above her social standing.
(c) She wanted to befriend that person.
(d) She wanted an excuse to communicate with the person.
12. What author does General Stumm recommend to Ulrich in Chapter 100?
13. Why isn't Ulrich surprised by the relationship that Arnheim and Diotima have?
(a) Arnheim had all the same qualities that caused Diotima to fall in love with her husband.
(b) Arnheim had told Ulrich about his plan to woo Diotima.
(c) Diotima had a propensity for becoming infatuated with men she couldn't have.
(d) He never understood why her husband tolerated Arnheim's attentions toward her.
14. What does Ulrich do when he encounters a prostitute in Chapter 122?
(a) He spits on her and walks away.
(b) Nothing; he ignores her and walks on.
(c) He gives her money but doesn't want her services.
(d) He gives her money in exchange for services.
15. Why doesn't Ulrich get to see Diotima when he goes to visit her in Chapter 121?
(a) Her husband won't let her see anyone.
(b) She is not in.
(c) She is ill.
(d) She is visiting with someone else.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the laws regarding children and slaves, according to the information in Chapter 113?
2. What societal problem is present in the novel for the first time in Chapter 120?
3. What role, formerly belonging to Arnheim, is usurped by Hans Sepp in Chapter 113?
4. What is the ultimate result of Ulrich and Gerda's interactions in Chapter 119?
5. According to the author in Chapter 116, there is sometimes a relationship between what two concepts?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)