|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who expresses concern in Chapter 107, about Arnheim's relationship with Diotima?
(a) General Stumm.
(b) Count Leinsdorf.
(c) Diotima's husband.
2. How does Ulrich respond during the demonstrations in Chapter 120?
(a) He watches from a distance.
(b) He gets involved in the protest.
(c) He stands to defend the person they are protesting.
(d) He tries to calm the crowd.
3. How does Bonadea feel about her husband?
(a) She didn't love him when they got married but now feels affectionate toward him.
(b) She used to love him, but doesn't anymore.
(c) Her feelings about him are never explicitly stated.
(d) She never loved him.
4. What does Ulrich notice about his own behavior in Chapter 103?
(a) He can be very manipulative when he wants to be and has no intention of changing that.
(b) He is unable to conform to societal standards that he doesn't think are justified.
(c) His behavior used to be inconsistent, but he has been working on that, and getting better.
(d) There have been inconsistencies in his behavior throughout his life, and that probably won't change.
5. Who is the gathered crowd protesting in Chapter 120?
(a) The General.
(c) Count Leinsdorf.
6. What is Diotima's reaction when Ulrich discusses the relationship between herself and Arnheim in Chapter 101?
(a) She admits that they have affection for one another and doesn't appear to see anything wrong with it.
(b) She laughs and asks who told him such a story.
(c) She blushes deeply and admits that love has grown between them.
(d) She dismisses his concerns but appears somewhat uncomfortable.
7. For whom does Rachel work?
(a) The Tuzzis.
(b) General Stumm.
8. What does Count Leinsdorf advise Diotima to study in Chapter 114?
(a) The Makart.
(b) The writings of Karl Marx.
(c) The Bible.
(d) The behavior of certain birds.
9. What concept does Arnheim ponder in Chapter 106?
10. Who are the Kakanians?
(a) People from a mountainous range north of Austria.
(b) The author never expressly defines the term.
(c) Austrians who emigrated to the countries surrounding Austria.
(d) Refugees who fled to Austria during World War I.
11. According to the author in Chapter 116, there is sometimes a relationship between what two concepts?
(a) Violence and deceit.
(b) Love and anger.
(c) Anger and peace.
(d) Deceit and love.
12. What is Rachel's main concern at the end of Chapter 117?
(a) She might get fired.
(b) She may be pregnant.
(c) Soliman might be hurt.
(d) Her sister needs her help.
13. How did Gerda meet Hans Sepp?
(a) He was one of Gerda's father's employees.
(b) He was the brother of one of her good friends.
(c) He was a tutor hired by Gerda's father.
(d) He was an officer in the military, and she met him at a military function.
14. What does Arnheim believe about moral and material wealth?
(a) They sometimes coexist.
(b) They are one and the same.
(c) They are mutually exclusive.
(d) They go together.
15. Why does Gerda decide to tell the person she tells in Chapter 119?
(a) She wanted to blackmail the person with her knowledge.
(b) She wanted a reason to talk to someone above her social standing.
(c) She wanted to befriend that person.
(d) She wanted an excuse to communicate with the person.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is mentioned with regard to the challenge of keeping diverse forces united in Chapter 116?
2. What is Bonadea's husband's rank in the military?
3. What does Racheal realize in Chapter 104?
4. How does Diotima's husband feel about the revelations regarding Arnheim in Chapter 116?
5. What is the purpose of the laws regarding children and slaves, according to the information in Chapter 113?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)