|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what offense does Diotima accuse Ulrich in Chapter 101?
(a) Trying to pry into her personal affairs.
(b) Trying to undermine Arnheim.
(c) Trying to steal one of her best friends.
(d) Trying to manipulate her.
2. What point of view does the author use in Chapter 119 to relate the thoughts and feelings of Ulrich and Gerda?
(a) Third-person omniscient.
(b) First-person omniscient.
(d) Third-person limited.
3. What is one of the main reasons Walter doesn't trust Ulrich?
(a) Ulrich has expressed an attraction toward Clarisse.
(b) Ulrich stole money from Walter.
(c) Ulrich once stole Walter's girlfriend.
(d) Ulrich has had affairs with married women.
4. The people wish that there were a living generation to experience what, according to Chapter 108?
(a) A classless society.
(b) A society where there was no one extremely poor or extremely rich.
(c) A world without war.
(d) The presence of the Messiah.
5. How does Gerda learn of Arnheim's ulterior motives in Chapter 119?
(a) By reading his mail.
(b) From Diotima.
(c) By eavesdropping on his conversations.
(d) From her father.
6. What country is mentioned with regard to the challenge of keeping diverse forces united in Chapter 116?
7. What did Ulrich do to offend Arnheim in Chapter 112?
(a) Showed up late to one of his parties.
(b) Related his disgust with a political figure, whom Arnheim supported.
(c) Spoke too directly with him.
(d) Presumed to criticize Arnheim's sense of fashion.
8. How does Diotima's husband feel about the revelations regarding Arnheim in Chapter 116?
(a) He is shocked and appalled that his wife was spending so much time with Arnheim.
(b) He immediately tries to recruit Arnheim for his own personal uses.
(c) He tries to get Arnheim to introduce him to his important political connections.
(d) He already knew and is using the information to further his own agenda.
9. What type of person is Ulrich in terms of his relationships?
(a) A polygamist.
(b) A serial monogamist.
(c) A bigamist.
(d) An adulterer.
10. According to the author in Chapter 112, at what point does a great man cease to be great?
(a) When he does something to forever tarnish his reputation.
(b) When he loses all of his money.
(c) When no one takes any notice of him.
(d) When he is publicly criticized.
11. Who initiated the affair between Ulrich and Bonadea?
(b) It is never stated.
(c) No one; it was a mutual decision.
12. What concept is being showcased in Chapter 119?
(a) Violence in the media.
(b) Social pressure.
(c) Serial monogamy.
(d) Consequences of adultery.
13. What is the concept of "diminished responsibility," as defined in Chapter 110?
(a) The way a criminal feels less remorse for his crimes the longer he remains in prison.
(b) The fact that a criminal will often feel that his partner committed the majority of the crime, regardless of how large or small his role was.
(c) The less control a person had over their actions when a crime was committed, the less sane they were, and the less severe their punishment will be.
(d) The more witnesses there were to a crime, the less likely it is that any individual will come forward.
14. Which individual is not mentioned by Ulrich as one of his long-term friends in Chapter 103?
15. Why does Ulrich decide not to write a book in Chapter 103?
(a) He doesn't know how to get it published.
(b) A woman gave birth to him, not an ink well.
(c) No one seems interested in his ideas.
(d) He doesn't think he is intelligent enough to do it.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is revealed in Chapter 116 that Arnheim is working for whom?
2. What concept does Arnheim ponder in Chapter 106?
3. According to Chapter 113, what is the position of the child and servant?
4. Where does General Stumm take Ulrich, in Chapter 100?
5. What role, formerly belonging to Arnheim, is usurped by Hans Sepp in Chapter 113?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)