|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The people wish that there were a living generation to experience what, according to Chapter 108?
(a) A classless society.
(b) A world without war.
(c) The presence of the Messiah.
(d) A society where there was no one extremely poor or extremely rich.
2. What is the result of the position of the child and servant, according to the author in Chapter 113?
(a) Both are able to better their positions, but only with difficulty.
(b) They are prone to abuse.
(c) They are treated in a similar fashion.
(d) They are usually the loser in court cases.
3. What is Rachel's main concern at the end of Chapter 117?
(a) Soliman might be hurt.
(b) Her sister needs her help.
(c) She might get fired.
(d) She may be pregnant.
4. Which individual is not mentioned by Ulrich as one of his long-term friends in Chapter 103?
5. What point of view does the author use in Chapter 119 to relate the thoughts and feelings of Ulrich and Gerda?
(a) Third-person limited.
(b) First-person omniscient.
(c) Third-person omniscient.
6. What phrase is used to describe the Kakanians in Chapter 108?
(a) "Unrequited lovers."
(c) "Extraneous persons."
(d) "Unredeemed nationalities."
7. Arnheim is revealed in Chapter 116 to be acting as what?
(a) A representative for a much larger corporation.
(b) A reservist soldier.
(c) A combat tactician.
(d) An informal spy.
8. For whom does Rachel work?
(a) General Stumm.
(b) The Tuzzis.
9. What type of person is Ulrich in terms of his relationships?
(a) A bigamist.
(b) A serial monogamist.
(c) An adulterer.
(d) A polygamist.
10. Why does Ulrich attempt to sleep with Gerda in Chapter 119?
(a) He wants to be able to blackmail her later.
(b) He wants to ruin her relationship with her fiance.
(c) He has been attracted to her for years.
(d) He doesn't really want to but feels obligated to.
11. According to Chapter 113, what is the position of the child and servant?
(a) They are seen as property.
(b) Both are legally considered property but are typically treated as family.
(c) One is property, while the other is family.
(d) There is no legal definition of the child's position as there is for the servant's.
12. It is revealed in Chapter 116 that Arnheim is working for whom?
(a) The Czar of Russia.
(b) The King of Prussia.
(c) The Permanent Secretary of Austria.
(d) The President of the United States.
13. Ulrich notices in Chapter 122 that Arnheim refers to Goethe in what way?
(a) As an example of a talented person who didn't know how to properly execute his ideas.
(b) As someone who, Arnheim feels, represents the spirit of his campaign.
(c) As an example of a person who knew how to execute ideas, but who didn't have much talent.
(d) As an authority figure when Arnheim needs the support.
14. How does Ulrich feel about Clarisse?
(a) He has never thought about her in a romantic way.
(b) He is not attracted to her in the slightest.
(c) He is attracted to her at times, but is comfortable with the idea that nothing is going to happen between them.
(d) He is attracted to her and fervently wishes he could convince her to sleep with him.
15. Who expresses concern in Chapter 107, about Arnheim's relationship with Diotima?
(a) General Stumm.
(c) Count Leinsdorf.
(d) Diotima's husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bonadea feel about her husband?
2. What country is mentioned with regard to the challenge of keeping diverse forces united in Chapter 116?
3. Why does Soliman have extra money in Chapter 104?
4. What surfaces during a heated argument between Walter and Clarisse in Chapter 118?
5. When Moosbrugger's trial reached the courts, what type of issue did it become?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)