|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gerda decide to tell the person she tells in Chapter 119?
(a) She wanted to befriend that person.
(b) She wanted a reason to talk to someone above her social standing.
(c) She wanted an excuse to communicate with the person.
(d) She wanted to blackmail the person with her knowledge.
2. Who initiated the affair between Ulrich and Bonadea?
(a) It is never stated.
(d) No one; it was a mutual decision.
3. How is the Collateral Campaign viewed as of Chapter 116?
(a) As an aristocratic hobby.
(b) As having great political significance.
(c) As a diversion for Diotima.
(d) As a place to make business connections.
4. What is Rachel's main concern at the end of Chapter 117?
(a) She may be pregnant.
(b) She might get fired.
(c) Soliman might be hurt.
(d) Her sister needs her help.
5. What is Bonadea's husband's rank in the military?
6. How does General Stumm's relationship with Ulrich develop?
(a) The General doesn't understand why he has begun feeling as though he can confide in Ulrich.
(b) The General feels that he should be careful what he tells Ulrich because he doesn't trust him completely.
(c) The General feels that he can tell Ulrich anything and can trust Ulrich not to betray him.
(d) Ulrich doesn't really want the General to confide in him, but he does it anyway.
7. What did Ulrich do to offend Arnheim in Chapter 112?
(a) Spoke too directly with him.
(b) Showed up late to one of his parties.
(c) Related his disgust with a political figure, whom Arnheim supported.
(d) Presumed to criticize Arnheim's sense of fashion.
8. Which individual is not mentioned by Ulrich as one of his long-term friends in Chapter 103?
9. How does Ulrich respond during the demonstrations in Chapter 120?
(a) He watches from a distance.
(b) He stands to defend the person they are protesting.
(c) He tries to calm the crowd.
(d) He gets involved in the protest.
10. To whom does Gerda go with her knowledge of Arnheim's motives in Chapter 119?
11. It is revealed in Chapter 116 that Arnheim is working for whom?
(a) The King of Prussia.
(b) The President of the United States.
(c) The Permanent Secretary of Austria.
(d) The Czar of Russia.
12. What does Bonadea do to maintain a semblance of decorum and discretion as described in Chapter 109?
(a) Cleverly and desperately hides the fact that she is living well beyond her means.
(b) Attends functions with her husband, and plays the part of the dutiful wife, even though they can't stand one another.
(c) Deceives people about the true nature of her married life and her extramarital affairs.
(d) Attempts to hide her drinking habit, even from those who know her best.
13. Which other character cares deeply about the topic discussed by Ulrich and Arnheim in Chapter 121?
(a) Permanent Secretary Tuzzi.
(d) Count Leinsdorf.
14. For whom does Rachel work?
(b) General Stumm.
(d) The Tuzzis.
15. According to Chapter 113, what is the position of the child and servant?
(a) One is property, while the other is family.
(b) Both are legally considered property but are typically treated as family.
(c) They are seen as property.
(d) There is no legal definition of the child's position as there is for the servant's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the gathered crowd protesting in Chapter 120?
2. What is the ultimate result of Ulrich and Gerda's interactions in Chapter 119?
3. What societal problem is present in the novel for the first time in Chapter 120?
4. Why do Rachel and Soliman find it difficult to be together in Chapter 117?
5. Who are the Kakanians?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)