|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what ailment is Bonadea suffering in Chapter 115?
(a) Nausea and vomiting.
(c) Stomach aches.
(d) Dizzy spells.
2. What is Gerda's reaction when Ulrich tries to take her to bed in Chapter 119?
(a) She slaps him in the face.
(b) She eagerly complies.
(c) She reluctantly acquiesces.
(d) She panics and screams.
3. What is the relationship between Ulrich and Diotima?
(a) He is her brother-in-law.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) She is his aunt.
(d) They are siblings.
4. Why do Rachel and Soliman find it difficult to be together in Chapter 117?
(a) There is no place for them to rendezvous without being caught.
(b) Their master and mistress, whether intentionally or not, keep interfering with their plans.
(c) They are not allowed to leave their respective homes.
(d) They both have too much work to do, and can't find time to be alone.
5. Where are Rachel and Soliman in Chapter 104?
(a) At Soliman's house.
(b) At a party which their employers have attended.
(c) At Rache's house.
(d) At a hotel.
6. Why isn't Ulrich surprised by the relationship that Arnheim and Diotima have?
(a) He never understood why her husband tolerated Arnheim's attentions toward her.
(b) Diotima had a propensity for becoming infatuated with men she couldn't have.
(c) Arnheim had all the same qualities that caused Diotima to fall in love with her husband.
(d) Arnheim had told Ulrich about his plan to woo Diotima.
7. What changes about Rachel as a result of her relationship with Soliman in Chapter 104?
(a) She is no longer happy living the life of a slave.
(b) She starts saving money to run away.
(c) She begins to be insubordinate and talks back to her master.
(d) She becomes sneaky and snoopish.
8. What is General Stumm's reason for recommending a certain author to Ulrich in Chapter 100?
(a) The author explored the limitations of intellect and perception, something which Ulrich is interested in exploring.
(b) The author was a relative of General Stumm's, and he was trying to drum up business for him.
(c) The author's point of view was very different from Ulrich's, and General Stumm wanted him to consider the opposing viewpoint.
(d) Many intellectuals with whom Stumm associated had read this author, and Ulrich needed to be able to discuss his works with them.
9. How is the Collateral Campaign viewed as of Chapter 116?
(a) As a place to make business connections.
(b) As having great political significance.
(c) As an aristocratic hobby.
(d) As a diversion for Diotima.
10. During the protests in Chapter 120, Arnheim is viewed as a representative of what country?
11. To whom does Gerda go with her knowledge of Arnheim's motives in Chapter 119?
12. What does Arnheim do for the first time in Chapter 116?
(a) Speaks for the Germans as if he is one and not as an outsider.
(b) Sits through an entire meeting without saying a word.
(c) Makes reference to the current delicate political situation.
(d) Speaks to everyone in attendance, men and women alike, as equals.
13. What is Diotima's reaction when Ulrich discusses the relationship between herself and Arnheim in Chapter 101?
(a) She admits that they have affection for one another and doesn't appear to see anything wrong with it.
(b) She laughs and asks who told him such a story.
(c) She dismisses his concerns but appears somewhat uncomfortable.
(d) She blushes deeply and admits that love has grown between them.
14. What does Racheal realize in Chapter 104?
(a) How much Soliman cares for her.
(b) How rich Arnheim really is.
(c) How much better her life could be if she purchased her freedom.
(d) How unimportant her well-being is, to her mistress.
15. How does Ulrich feel about his relationship with Arnheim in Chapter 112?
(a) It is odd, at best.
(b) Ulrich feels that Arnheim is just using him.
(c) They are quite close, and trust one another.
(d) Arnheim wants to have a relationship with him, but he doesn't want one.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Moosbrugger's trial reached the courts, what type of issue did it become?
2. According to the author in Chapter 116, there is sometimes a relationship between what two concepts?
3. For whom does Rachel work?
4. What does Bonadea do to maintain a semblance of decorum and discretion as described in Chapter 109?
5. How does General Stumm's relationship with Ulrich develop?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)