|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For whom does Soliman work?
(b) The Tuzzis.
(c) General Stumm.
2. Why do Rachel and Soliman find it difficult to be together in Chapter 117?
(a) Their master and mistress, whether intentionally or not, keep interfering with their plans.
(b) They both have too much work to do, and can't find time to be alone.
(c) They are not allowed to leave their respective homes.
(d) There is no place for them to rendezvous without being caught.
3. What is Rachel's main concern at the end of Chapter 117?
(a) She might get fired.
(b) Her sister needs her help.
(c) Soliman might be hurt.
(d) She may be pregnant.
4. What is the result of the position of the child and servant, according to the author in Chapter 113?
(a) They are usually the loser in court cases.
(b) They are prone to abuse.
(c) Both are able to better their positions, but only with difficulty.
(d) They are treated in a similar fashion.
5. What is the purpose of the laws regarding children and slaves, according to the information in Chapter 113?
(a) To ensure that the process of transferring ownership is smooth and free of complications.
(b) To give them legal recourse in case they are mistreated.
(c) To ensure that they are protected by the individuals to whom they belong.
(d) To outline their rights so that they don't overstep their boundaries.
6. How does Ulrich feel about his relationship with Arnheim in Chapter 112?
(a) It is odd, at best.
(b) They are quite close, and trust one another.
(c) Arnheim wants to have a relationship with him, but he doesn't want one.
(d) Ulrich feels that Arnheim is just using him.
7. What two things does the General compare when talking to Ulrich in Chapter 100?
(a) Warfare and libraries.
(b) Warfare and politics.
(c) Schools and libraries.
(d) Politics and school.
8. What is the main interest outsiders seem to show in Moosbrugger, according to the information presented in Chapter 110?
(a) Whether he feels remorse for his crime.
(b) Whether he is crazy.
(c) Whether he was really guilty of committing a crime.
(d) Whether he can be rehabilitated.
9. Why doesn't Ulrich get to see Diotima when he goes to visit her in Chapter 121?
(a) She is ill.
(b) She is not in.
(c) Her husband won't let her see anyone.
(d) She is visiting with someone else.
10. Why does Bonadea take an interest in Moosbrugger's welfare in Chapter 115?
(a) She has a gut feeling that he is innocent.
(b) Her motives are never explicitly stated.
(c) She feels maternal toward him because he is much younger.
(d) She sees a picture of him, and finds him attractive.
11. What is Gerda's reaction when Ulrich tries to take her to bed in Chapter 119?
(a) She reluctantly acquiesces.
(b) She eagerly complies.
(c) She panics and screams.
(d) She slaps him in the face.
12. What does Bonadea do to maintain a semblance of decorum and discretion as described in Chapter 109?
(a) Attends functions with her husband, and plays the part of the dutiful wife, even though they can't stand one another.
(b) Deceives people about the true nature of her married life and her extramarital affairs.
(c) Cleverly and desperately hides the fact that she is living well beyond her means.
(d) Attempts to hide her drinking habit, even from those who know her best.
13. What surfaces during a heated argument between Walter and Clarisse in Chapter 118?
(a) Clarisse's resentment at Walter's inability to provide for her in the manner to which she is accustomed.
(b) Clarisse's love for Ulrich.
(c) Walter's jealousy over Ulrich's relationship with his wife.
(d) Walter's lack of romantic feelings toward his wife.
14. Who expresses concern in Chapter 107, about Arnheim's relationship with Diotima?
(b) General Stumm.
(c) Count Leinsdorf.
(d) Diotima's husband.
15. To whom does Gerda go with her knowledge of Arnheim's motives in Chapter 119?
Short Answer Questions
1. What point of view does the author use in Chapter 119 to relate the thoughts and feelings of Ulrich and Gerda?
2. Why does Ulrich decide not to write a book in Chapter 103?
3. According to Chapter 113, what is the position of the child and servant?
4. It is revealed in Chapter 116 that Arnheim is working for whom?
5. What is the concept of "diminished responsibility," as defined in Chapter 110?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)