|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Racheal realize in Chapter 104?
(a) How much Soliman cares for her.
(b) How rich Arnheim really is.
(c) How much better her life could be if she purchased her freedom.
(d) How unimportant her well-being is, to her mistress.
2. Why does Ulrich attempt to sleep with Gerda in Chapter 119?
(a) He wants to ruin her relationship with her fiance.
(b) He wants to be able to blackmail her later.
(c) He doesn't really want to but feels obligated to.
(d) He has been attracted to her for years.
3. The people wish that there were a living generation to experience what, according to Chapter 108?
(a) The presence of the Messiah.
(b) A world without war.
(c) A classless society.
(d) A society where there was no one extremely poor or extremely rich.
4. Who is giving a speech in Chapter 116?
(a) Hans Sepp.
(c) General Stumm.
5. What does Arnheim do for the first time in Chapter 116?
(a) Speaks for the Germans as if he is one and not as an outsider.
(b) Sits through an entire meeting without saying a word.
(c) Speaks to everyone in attendance, men and women alike, as equals.
(d) Makes reference to the current delicate political situation.
6. Where does General Stumm take Ulrich, in Chapter 100?
(a) To the State Library.
(b) To his uncle's grave.
(c) To his family home.
(d) To a banquet held in the General's honor.
7. Who expresses concern in Chapter 107, about Arnheim's relationship with Diotima?
(b) Count Leinsdorf.
(c) General Stumm.
(d) Diotima's husband.
8. Which individual is not mentioned by Ulrich as one of his long-term friends in Chapter 103?
9. What phrase is used to describe the Kakanians in Chapter 108?
(a) "Unrequited lovers."
(c) "Extraneous persons."
(d) "Unredeemed nationalities."
10. What concept is being showcased in Chapter 119?
(a) Serial monogamy.
(b) Social pressure.
(c) Consequences of adultery.
(d) Violence in the media.
11. How does Ulrich view Arnheim, according to the information presented in Chapter 112?
(a) As vastly more influential than himself.
(b) As ungrateful and rude.
(c) As presumptuous and deluded.
(d) As undeserving of his wealth and status.
12. What is Rachel's main concern at the end of Chapter 117?
(a) Soliman might be hurt.
(b) Her sister needs her help.
(c) She might get fired.
(d) She may be pregnant.
13. Who initiated the affair between Ulrich and Bonadea?
(b) No one; it was a mutual decision.
(d) It is never stated.
14. According to the author in Chapter 112, at what point does a great man cease to be great?
(a) When he does something to forever tarnish his reputation.
(b) When no one takes any notice of him.
(c) When he loses all of his money.
(d) When he is publicly criticized.
15. What role, formerly belonging to Arnheim, is usurped by Hans Sepp in Chapter 113?
(a) The role of helping the less fortunate to educate themselves.
(b) The role of representing the Germans at Diotima's salons.
(c) The role of showering attention on Diotima and causing her to become infatuated with him.
(d) The role of acting as a go-between for the middle and upper classes.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is revealed in Chapter 116 that Arnheim is working for whom?
2. What is the concept of "diminished responsibility," as defined in Chapter 110?
3. Arnheim is convinced in Chapter 112 that Ulrich is doing what?
4. What surfaces during a heated argument between Walter and Clarisse in Chapter 118?
5. When Moosbrugger's trial reached the courts, what type of issue did it become?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)