|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Ulrich and Arnheim decide regarding Moosbrugger in Chapter 121?
(a) That it is a shame that he was imprisoned, but there isn't anything they can do about it.
(b) That they should raise money for him to appeal his sentencing.
(c) Protecting the community from him is more important than his welfare.
(d) That if he were executed, it would save the community a great deal of money.
2. What is said about Diotima in Chapter 108?
(a) She is praised for maintaining an appropriate, nonsexual relationship with Arnheim, despite her feelings for him.
(b) She is credited with having an interest in the concept of redemption.
(c) She is criticized for allowing herself to fall in love with another man.
(d) She is praised for her involvement in social service.
3. Who expresses concern in Chapter 107, about Arnheim's relationship with Diotima?
(a) General Stumm.
(c) Count Leinsdorf.
(d) Diotima's husband.
4. What surfaces during a heated argument between Walter and Clarisse in Chapter 118?
(a) Walter's jealousy over Ulrich's relationship with his wife.
(b) Clarisse's resentment at Walter's inability to provide for her in the manner to which she is accustomed.
(c) Walter's lack of romantic feelings toward his wife.
(d) Clarisse's love for Ulrich.
5. How is the Collateral Campaign viewed as of Chapter 116?
(a) As a diversion for Diotima.
(b) As an aristocratic hobby.
(c) As a place to make business connections.
(d) As having great political significance.
6. What author does General Stumm recommend to Ulrich in Chapter 100?
7. Ulrich notices in Chapter 122 that Arnheim refers to Goethe in what way?
(a) As someone who, Arnheim feels, represents the spirit of his campaign.
(b) As an example of a person who knew how to execute ideas, but who didn't have much talent.
(c) As an example of a talented person who didn't know how to properly execute his ideas.
(d) As an authority figure when Arnheim needs the support.
8. From what ailment is Bonadea suffering in Chapter 115?
(a) Nausea and vomiting.
(b) Stomach aches.
(d) Dizzy spells.
9. How did Gerda meet Hans Sepp?
(a) He was a tutor hired by Gerda's father.
(b) He was one of Gerda's father's employees.
(c) He was an officer in the military, and she met him at a military function.
(d) He was the brother of one of her good friends.
10. What happens between Gerda and Ulrich in Chapter 119?
(a) They have an argument.
(b) They plan a secret rendezvous.
(c) They stop seeing one another.
(d) They kiss.
11. What concept is being showcased in Chapter 119?
(a) Social pressure.
(b) Consequences of adultery.
(c) Serial monogamy.
(d) Violence in the media.
12. How does Ulrich feel about Clarisse?
(a) He is not attracted to her in the slightest.
(b) He is attracted to her at times, but is comfortable with the idea that nothing is going to happen between them.
(c) He has never thought about her in a romantic way.
(d) He is attracted to her and fervently wishes he could convince her to sleep with him.
13. What changes about Rachel as a result of her relationship with Soliman in Chapter 104?
(a) She is no longer happy living the life of a slave.
(b) She begins to be insubordinate and talks back to her master.
(c) She starts saving money to run away.
(d) She becomes sneaky and snoopish.
14. What do Ulrich and Arnheim talk about in Chapter 121?
(a) Galician oil fields.
(c) Count Leinsdorf.
(d) The Kakanians.
15. Where does General Stumm take Ulrich, in Chapter 100?
(a) To his uncle's grave.
(b) To the State Library.
(c) To a banquet held in the General's honor.
(d) To his family home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the ultimate result of Ulrich and Gerda's interactions in Chapter 119?
2. What country is mentioned with regard to the challenge of keeping diverse forces united in Chapter 116?
3. What does Arnheim believe about moral and material wealth?
4. According to the author in Chapter 112, at what point does a great man cease to be great?
5. How does Ulrich respond to Arnheim's offer in Chapter 121?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)