|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why isn't Ulrich surprised by the relationship that Arnheim and Diotima have?
(a) Arnheim had all the same qualities that caused Diotima to fall in love with her husband.
(b) He never understood why her husband tolerated Arnheim's attentions toward her.
(c) Diotima had a propensity for becoming infatuated with men she couldn't have.
(d) Arnheim had told Ulrich about his plan to woo Diotima.
2. What does Ulrich do when he encounters a prostitute in Chapter 122?
(a) He spits on her and walks away.
(b) He gives her money in exchange for services.
(c) He gives her money but doesn't want her services.
(d) Nothing; he ignores her and walks on.
3. What does Racheal realize in Chapter 104?
(a) How much better her life could be if she purchased her freedom.
(b) How unimportant her well-being is, to her mistress.
(c) How rich Arnheim really is.
(d) How much Soliman cares for her.
4. What phrase is used to describe the Kakanians in Chapter 108?
(a) "Extraneous persons."
(b) "Unrequited lovers."
(d) "Unredeemed nationalities."
5. Who is the gathered crowd protesting in Chapter 120?
(a) The General.
(b) Count Leinsdorf.
6. Why does Ulrich attempt to sleep with Gerda in Chapter 119?
(a) He wants to ruin her relationship with her fiance.
(b) He has been attracted to her for years.
(c) He doesn't really want to but feels obligated to.
(d) He wants to be able to blackmail her later.
7. What is the concept of "diminished responsibility," as defined in Chapter 110?
(a) The less control a person had over their actions when a crime was committed, the less sane they were, and the less severe their punishment will be.
(b) The fact that a criminal will often feel that his partner committed the majority of the crime, regardless of how large or small his role was.
(c) The more witnesses there were to a crime, the less likely it is that any individual will come forward.
(d) The way a criminal feels less remorse for his crimes the longer he remains in prison.
8. Who ended Ulrich and Bonadea's affair?
(a) Ulrich's wife.
(b) Bonadea's husband.
9. What do Ulrich and Arnheim decide regarding Moosbrugger in Chapter 121?
(a) Protecting the community from him is more important than his welfare.
(b) That if he were executed, it would save the community a great deal of money.
(c) That it is a shame that he was imprisoned, but there isn't anything they can do about it.
(d) That they should raise money for him to appeal his sentencing.
10. What does Count Leinsdorf advise Diotima to study in Chapter 114?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The behavior of certain birds.
(c) The writings of Karl Marx.
(d) The Makart.
11. What does Arnheim believe about moral and material wealth?
(a) They are one and the same.
(b) They go together.
(c) They are mutually exclusive.
(d) They sometimes coexist.
12. Arnheim is convinced in Chapter 112 that Ulrich is doing what?
(a) Trying to sabotage Arnheim's business ventures.
(b) Trying to push Arnheim away from Diotima, so that he can be with her.
(c) Using Arnheim as a means to garner favor with Count Leinsdorf.
(d) Speaking poorly of Arnheim to others, including Diotima.
13. Where are Rachel and Soliman in Chapter 104?
(a) At a party which their employers have attended.
(b) At a hotel.
(c) At Rache's house.
(d) At Soliman's house.
14. What is the ultimate result of Ulrich and Gerda's interactions in Chapter 119?
(a) Ulrich is disappointed, and Gerda is mortified.
(b) Ulrich is satisfied, but Gerda is disappointed.
(c) Ulrich comforts Gerda, and both are all right.
(d) Both are satisfied and glad they did it.
15. What is Gerda's reaction when Ulrich tries to take her to bed in Chapter 119?
(a) She slaps him in the face.
(b) She reluctantly acquiesces.
(c) She panics and screams.
(d) She eagerly complies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ulrich decide not to write a book in Chapter 103?
2. Who expresses concern in Chapter 107, about Arnheim's relationship with Diotima?
3. According to the author in Chapter 112, at what point does a great man cease to be great?
4. How does Ulrich respond during the demonstrations in Chapter 120?
5. Why do Rachel and Soliman find it difficult to be together in Chapter 117?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)