|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ulrich respond to Arnheim's offer in Chapter 121?
(a) He declines because he is suspicious of Arnheim's motives.
(b) He accepts and is excited and grateful to Arnheim.
(c) He accepts, but only because he feels obligated to.
(d) He declines because it is not really in his best interests.
2. What country is mentioned with regard to the challenge of keeping diverse forces united in Chapter 116?
3. Arnheim is convinced in Chapter 112 that Ulrich is doing what?
(a) Speaking poorly of Arnheim to others, including Diotima.
(b) Using Arnheim as a means to garner favor with Count Leinsdorf.
(c) Trying to sabotage Arnheim's business ventures.
(d) Trying to push Arnheim away from Diotima, so that he can be with her.
4. What does Arnheim believe about moral and material wealth?
(a) They sometimes coexist.
(b) They go together.
(c) They are mutually exclusive.
(d) They are one and the same.
5. What did Ulrich do to offend Arnheim in Chapter 112?
(a) Spoke too directly with him.
(b) Related his disgust with a political figure, whom Arnheim supported.
(c) Presumed to criticize Arnheim's sense of fashion.
(d) Showed up late to one of his parties.
6. How does Diotima's husband feel about the revelations regarding Arnheim in Chapter 116?
(a) He tries to get Arnheim to introduce him to his important political connections.
(b) He immediately tries to recruit Arnheim for his own personal uses.
(c) He already knew and is using the information to further his own agenda.
(d) He is shocked and appalled that his wife was spending so much time with Arnheim.
7. What is Diotima's reaction when Ulrich discusses the relationship between herself and Arnheim in Chapter 101?
(a) She admits that they have affection for one another and doesn't appear to see anything wrong with it.
(b) She blushes deeply and admits that love has grown between them.
(c) She dismisses his concerns but appears somewhat uncomfortable.
(d) She laughs and asks who told him such a story.
8. What is Rachel's main concern at the end of Chapter 117?
(a) Soliman might be hurt.
(b) Her sister needs her help.
(c) She may be pregnant.
(d) She might get fired.
9. How does Ulrich respond during the demonstrations in Chapter 120?
(a) He tries to calm the crowd.
(b) He stands to defend the person they are protesting.
(c) He gets involved in the protest.
(d) He watches from a distance.
10. Why does Ulrich attempt to sleep with Gerda in Chapter 119?
(a) He has been attracted to her for years.
(b) He wants to ruin her relationship with her fiance.
(c) He wants to be able to blackmail her later.
(d) He doesn't really want to but feels obligated to.
11. What happens between Gerda and Ulrich in Chapter 119?
(a) They kiss.
(b) They stop seeing one another.
(c) They have an argument.
(d) They plan a secret rendezvous.
12. What phrase is used to describe the Kakanians in Chapter 108?
(a) "Extraneous persons."
(b) "Unredeemed nationalities."
(c) "Unrequited lovers."
13. Why do Rachel and Soliman find it difficult to be together in Chapter 117?
(a) They both have too much work to do, and can't find time to be alone.
(b) Their master and mistress, whether intentionally or not, keep interfering with their plans.
(c) There is no place for them to rendezvous without being caught.
(d) They are not allowed to leave their respective homes.
14. When Moosbrugger's trial reached the courts, what type of issue did it become?
15. What author does General Stumm recommend to Ulrich in Chapter 100?
Short Answer Questions
1. Ulrich notices in Chapter 122 that Arnheim refers to Goethe in what way?
2. Why does Bonadea take an interest in Moosbrugger's welfare in Chapter 115?
3. What does Arnheim do for the first time in Chapter 116?
4. To whom does Gerda go with her knowledge of Arnheim's motives in Chapter 119?
5. Why does Arnheim make some irrational presumptions about wealth, according to the author in Chapter 106?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)