|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Moosbrugger's trial reached the courts, what type of issue did it become?
2. What is one of the main reasons Walter doesn't trust Ulrich?
(a) Ulrich once stole Walter's girlfriend.
(b) Ulrich stole money from Walter.
(c) Ulrich has had affairs with married women.
(d) Ulrich has expressed an attraction toward Clarisse.
3. What does Racheal realize in Chapter 104?
(a) How much Soliman cares for her.
(b) How much better her life could be if she purchased her freedom.
(c) How rich Arnheim really is.
(d) How unimportant her well-being is, to her mistress.
4. According to the author in Chapter 112, at what point does a great man cease to be great?
(a) When he loses all of his money.
(b) When no one takes any notice of him.
(c) When he is publicly criticized.
(d) When he does something to forever tarnish his reputation.
5. How does Ulrich feel about his relationship with Arnheim in Chapter 112?
(a) It is odd, at best.
(b) They are quite close, and trust one another.
(c) Arnheim wants to have a relationship with him, but he doesn't want one.
(d) Ulrich feels that Arnheim is just using him.
6. According to the author in Chapter 116, what is the main thing that is holding Ulrich back?
(a) He suppresses parts of his personality.
(b) His wife.
(c) He is not as intelligent as he tries to make people believe he is.
(d) His social status.
7. What does Arnheim do for the first time in Chapter 116?
(a) Speaks to everyone in attendance, men and women alike, as equals.
(b) Speaks for the Germans as if he is one and not as an outsider.
(c) Makes reference to the current delicate political situation.
(d) Sits through an entire meeting without saying a word.
8. What does Arnheim believe about moral and material wealth?
(a) They are one and the same.
(b) They go together.
(c) They are mutually exclusive.
(d) They sometimes coexist.
9. What point of view does the author use in Chapter 119 to relate the thoughts and feelings of Ulrich and Gerda?
(a) First-person omniscient.
(b) Third-person limited.
(d) Third-person omniscient.
10. Why do Rachel and Soliman find it difficult to be together in Chapter 117?
(a) They are not allowed to leave their respective homes.
(b) Their master and mistress, whether intentionally or not, keep interfering with their plans.
(c) They both have too much work to do, and can't find time to be alone.
(d) There is no place for them to rendezvous without being caught.
11. How does General Stumm's relationship with Ulrich develop?
(a) The General doesn't understand why he has begun feeling as though he can confide in Ulrich.
(b) The General feels that he should be careful what he tells Ulrich because he doesn't trust him completely.
(c) Ulrich doesn't really want the General to confide in him, but he does it anyway.
(d) The General feels that he can tell Ulrich anything and can trust Ulrich not to betray him.
12. Which other character cares deeply about the topic discussed by Ulrich and Arnheim in Chapter 121?
(b) Count Leinsdorf.
(c) Permanent Secretary Tuzzi.
13. Who is the gathered crowd protesting in Chapter 120?
(b) The General.
(c) Count Leinsdorf.
14. How does Gerda learn of Arnheim's ulterior motives in Chapter 119?
(a) By eavesdropping on his conversations.
(b) From Diotima.
(c) By reading his mail.
(d) From her father.
15. What does Ulrich notice about his own behavior in Chapter 103?
(a) He is unable to conform to societal standards that he doesn't think are justified.
(b) His behavior used to be inconsistent, but he has been working on that, and getting better.
(c) He can be very manipulative when he wants to be and has no intention of changing that.
(d) There have been inconsistencies in his behavior throughout his life, and that probably won't change.
Short Answer Questions
1. What societal problem is present in the novel for the first time in Chapter 120?
2. Arnheim is convinced in Chapter 112 that Ulrich is doing what?
3. What is Rachel's main concern at the end of Chapter 117?
4. How does Ulrich respond during the demonstrations in Chapter 120?
5. Of what offense does Diotima accuse Ulrich in Chapter 101?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)