|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why isn't Ulrich surprised by the relationship that Arnheim and Diotima have?
(a) Arnheim had all the same qualities that caused Diotima to fall in love with her husband.
(b) He never understood why her husband tolerated Arnheim's attentions toward her.
(c) Arnheim had told Ulrich about his plan to woo Diotima.
(d) Diotima had a propensity for becoming infatuated with men she couldn't have.
2. How does Ulrich feel about Clarisse?
(a) He is not attracted to her in the slightest.
(b) He has never thought about her in a romantic way.
(c) He is attracted to her and fervently wishes he could convince her to sleep with him.
(d) He is attracted to her at times, but is comfortable with the idea that nothing is going to happen between them.
3. From what ailment is Bonadea suffering in Chapter 115?
(a) Nausea and vomiting.
(c) Stomach aches.
(d) Dizzy spells.
4. Who ended Ulrich and Bonadea's affair?
(b) Ulrich's wife.
(d) Bonadea's husband.
5. What is one of the main reasons Walter doesn't trust Ulrich?
(a) Ulrich once stole Walter's girlfriend.
(b) Ulrich has expressed an attraction toward Clarisse.
(c) Ulrich has had affairs with married women.
(d) Ulrich stole money from Walter.
6. How does Bonadea feel about her husband?
(a) She used to love him, but doesn't anymore.
(b) She never loved him.
(c) She didn't love him when they got married but now feels affectionate toward him.
(d) Her feelings about him are never explicitly stated.
7. Which individual is not mentioned by Ulrich as one of his long-term friends in Chapter 103?
8. Who initiated the affair between Ulrich and Bonadea?
(b) It is never stated.
(c) No one; it was a mutual decision.
9. What concept is being showcased in Chapter 119?
(a) Consequences of adultery.
(b) Violence in the media.
(c) Serial monogamy.
(d) Social pressure.
10. What did Ulrich do to offend Arnheim in Chapter 112?
(a) Spoke too directly with him.
(b) Showed up late to one of his parties.
(c) Presumed to criticize Arnheim's sense of fashion.
(d) Related his disgust with a political figure, whom Arnheim supported.
11. What societal problem is present in the novel for the first time in Chapter 120?
(a) Political unrest.
12. What is the main interest outsiders seem to show in Moosbrugger, according to the information presented in Chapter 110?
(a) Whether he can be rehabilitated.
(b) Whether he was really guilty of committing a crime.
(c) Whether he is crazy.
(d) Whether he feels remorse for his crime.
13. How is the Collateral Campaign viewed as of Chapter 116?
(a) As having great political significance.
(b) As a diversion for Diotima.
(c) As a place to make business connections.
(d) As an aristocratic hobby.
14. What does Count Leinsdorf advise Diotima to study in Chapter 114?
(a) The Makart.
(b) The writings of Karl Marx.
(c) The Bible.
(d) The behavior of certain birds.
15. What idea does Ulrich have regarding life in Chapter 120?
(a) It is nearly impossible for a person to succeed in life because the odds are against them.
(b) Most people don't know how to succeed, which is why they fail.
(c) A person can do well in their life, but for that to happen they must give up a degree of control.
(d) It is only possible to succeed in life if you maintain as much control over your life as possible.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ulrich respond during the demonstrations in Chapter 120?
2. Of what offense does Diotima accuse Ulrich in Chapter 101?
3. What does Ulrich do when he encounters a prostitute in Chapter 122?
4. Why doesn't Ulrich get to see Diotima when he goes to visit her in Chapter 121?
5. What does Racheal realize in Chapter 104?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)