|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ulrich respond to Arnheim's offer in Chapter 121?
(a) He declines because he is suspicious of Arnheim's motives.
(b) He accepts, but only because he feels obligated to.
(c) He accepts and is excited and grateful to Arnheim.
(d) He declines because it is not really in his best interests.
2. Which other character cares deeply about the topic discussed by Ulrich and Arnheim in Chapter 121?
(c) Count Leinsdorf.
(d) Permanent Secretary Tuzzi.
3. Who are the Kakanians?
(a) People from a mountainous range north of Austria.
(b) Refugees who fled to Austria during World War I.
(c) Austrians who emigrated to the countries surrounding Austria.
(d) The author never expressly defines the term.
4. What do Ulrich and Arnheim talk about in Chapter 121?
(a) Galician oil fields.
(b) The Kakanians.
(d) Count Leinsdorf.
5. What idea does Ulrich have regarding life in Chapter 120?
(a) A person can do well in their life, but for that to happen they must give up a degree of control.
(b) It is nearly impossible for a person to succeed in life because the odds are against them.
(c) It is only possible to succeed in life if you maintain as much control over your life as possible.
(d) Most people don't know how to succeed, which is why they fail.
6. What is the relationship between Ulrich and Diotima?
(a) He is her brother-in-law.
(b) They are siblings.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) She is his aunt.
7. How does Ulrich respond during the demonstrations in Chapter 120?
(a) He stands to defend the person they are protesting.
(b) He gets involved in the protest.
(c) He watches from a distance.
(d) He tries to calm the crowd.
8. Of what offense does Diotima accuse Ulrich in Chapter 101?
(a) Trying to steal one of her best friends.
(b) Trying to pry into her personal affairs.
(c) Trying to undermine Arnheim.
(d) Trying to manipulate her.
9. During the protests in Chapter 120, Arnheim is viewed as a representative of what country?
10. What does Count Leinsdorf advise Diotima to study in Chapter 114?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The writings of Karl Marx.
(c) The behavior of certain birds.
(d) The Makart.
11. Who ended Ulrich and Bonadea's affair?
(b) Bonadea's husband.
(c) Ulrich's wife.
12. To whom does Gerda go with her knowledge of Arnheim's motives in Chapter 119?
13. Why does Ulrich decide not to write a book in Chapter 103?
(a) He doesn't know how to get it published.
(b) He doesn't think he is intelligent enough to do it.
(c) No one seems interested in his ideas.
(d) A woman gave birth to him, not an ink well.
14. What is General Stumm's reason for recommending a certain author to Ulrich in Chapter 100?
(a) The author's point of view was very different from Ulrich's, and General Stumm wanted him to consider the opposing viewpoint.
(b) The author explored the limitations of intellect and perception, something which Ulrich is interested in exploring.
(c) Many intellectuals with whom Stumm associated had read this author, and Ulrich needed to be able to discuss his works with them.
(d) The author was a relative of General Stumm's, and he was trying to drum up business for him.
15. According to the author in Chapter 112, at what point does a great man cease to be great?
(a) When he loses all of his money.
(b) When he is publicly criticized.
(c) When no one takes any notice of him.
(d) When he does something to forever tarnish his reputation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Arnheim make some irrational presumptions about wealth, according to the author in Chapter 106?
2. Who initiated the affair between Ulrich and Bonadea?
3. Why doesn't Ulrich get to see Diotima when he goes to visit her in Chapter 121?
4. Why does Gerda decide to tell the person she tells in Chapter 119?
5. What concept does Arnheim ponder in Chapter 106?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)