|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ulrich do to offend Arnheim in Chapter 112?
(a) Spoke too directly with him.
(b) Presumed to criticize Arnheim's sense of fashion.
(c) Showed up late to one of his parties.
(d) Related his disgust with a political figure, whom Arnheim supported.
2. Why does Gerda decide to tell the person she tells in Chapter 119?
(a) She wanted to blackmail the person with her knowledge.
(b) She wanted an excuse to communicate with the person.
(c) She wanted to befriend that person.
(d) She wanted a reason to talk to someone above her social standing.
3. What is the result of the position of the child and servant, according to the author in Chapter 113?
(a) Both are able to better their positions, but only with difficulty.
(b) They are usually the loser in court cases.
(c) They are treated in a similar fashion.
(d) They are prone to abuse.
4. What is the ultimate result of Ulrich and Gerda's interactions in Chapter 119?
(a) Ulrich comforts Gerda, and both are all right.
(b) Ulrich is satisfied, but Gerda is disappointed.
(c) Ulrich is disappointed, and Gerda is mortified.
(d) Both are satisfied and glad they did it.
5. Who are the Kakanians?
(a) Refugees who fled to Austria during World War I.
(b) The author never expressly defines the term.
(c) People from a mountainous range north of Austria.
(d) Austrians who emigrated to the countries surrounding Austria.
6. Who is giving a speech in Chapter 116?
(c) General Stumm.
(d) Hans Sepp.
7. What phrase is used to describe the Kakanians in Chapter 108?
(b) "Unrequited lovers."
(c) "Extraneous persons."
(d) "Unredeemed nationalities."
8. It is revealed in Chapter 116 that Arnheim is working for whom?
(a) The Czar of Russia.
(b) The President of the United States.
(c) The King of Prussia.
(d) The Permanent Secretary of Austria.
9. What societal problem is present in the novel for the first time in Chapter 120?
(c) Political unrest.
10. What does Ulrich do when he encounters a prostitute in Chapter 122?
(a) Nothing; he ignores her and walks on.
(b) He gives her money but doesn't want her services.
(c) He gives her money in exchange for services.
(d) He spits on her and walks away.
11. What author does General Stumm recommend to Ulrich in Chapter 100?
12. Arnheim is convinced in Chapter 112 that Ulrich is doing what?
(a) Speaking poorly of Arnheim to others, including Diotima.
(b) Trying to sabotage Arnheim's business ventures.
(c) Using Arnheim as a means to garner favor with Count Leinsdorf.
(d) Trying to push Arnheim away from Diotima, so that he can be with her.
13. What is Rachel's main concern at the end of Chapter 117?
(a) She might get fired.
(b) She may be pregnant.
(c) Her sister needs her help.
(d) Soliman might be hurt.
14. What happens between Gerda and Ulrich in Chapter 119?
(a) They stop seeing one another.
(b) They kiss.
(c) They have an argument.
(d) They plan a secret rendezvous.
15. What does Arnheim ask Diotima in Chapter 105?
(a) To run away with him.
(b) To have an affair with him.
(c) To marry him.
(d) To divorce her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ulrich and Arnheim decide regarding Moosbrugger in Chapter 121?
2. What country is mentioned with regard to the challenge of keeping diverse forces united in Chapter 116?
3. According to the author in Chapter 112, at what point does a great man cease to be great?
4. How does Gerda learn of Arnheim's ulterior motives in Chapter 119?
5. To whom does Gerda go with her knowledge of Arnheim's motives in Chapter 119?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)