|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Ulrich get to see Diotima when he goes to visit her in Chapter 121?
(a) She is ill.
(b) She is not in.
(c) Her husband won't let her see anyone.
(d) She is visiting with someone else.
2. What is Diotima's reaction when Ulrich discusses the relationship between herself and Arnheim in Chapter 101?
(a) She admits that they have affection for one another and doesn't appear to see anything wrong with it.
(b) She laughs and asks who told him such a story.
(c) She blushes deeply and admits that love has grown between them.
(d) She dismisses his concerns but appears somewhat uncomfortable.
3. What surfaces during a heated argument between Walter and Clarisse in Chapter 118?
(a) Clarisse's love for Ulrich.
(b) Clarisse's resentment at Walter's inability to provide for her in the manner to which she is accustomed.
(c) Walter's jealousy over Ulrich's relationship with his wife.
(d) Walter's lack of romantic feelings toward his wife.
4. What is the result of the position of the child and servant, according to the author in Chapter 113?
(a) Both are able to better their positions, but only with difficulty.
(b) They are treated in a similar fashion.
(c) They are prone to abuse.
(d) They are usually the loser in court cases.
5. According to the author in Chapter 112, at what point does a great man cease to be great?
(a) When he is publicly criticized.
(b) When he does something to forever tarnish his reputation.
(c) When no one takes any notice of him.
(d) When he loses all of his money.
6. Where does General Stumm take Ulrich, in Chapter 100?
(a) To his uncle's grave.
(b) To a banquet held in the General's honor.
(c) To his family home.
(d) To the State Library.
7. Why does Gerda decide to tell the person she tells in Chapter 119?
(a) She wanted an excuse to communicate with the person.
(b) She wanted a reason to talk to someone above her social standing.
(c) She wanted to befriend that person.
(d) She wanted to blackmail the person with her knowledge.
8. Who is the gathered crowd protesting in Chapter 120?
(b) Count Leinsdorf.
(d) The General.
9. How does Ulrich respond during the demonstrations in Chapter 120?
(a) He gets involved in the protest.
(b) He stands to defend the person they are protesting.
(c) He watches from a distance.
(d) He tries to calm the crowd.
10. Why does Arnheim make some irrational presumptions about wealth, according to the author in Chapter 106?
(a) He doesn't want to be wealthy and doesn't appreciate the opportunities being wealthy has given him.
(b) He was born into wealth instead of having to work his way into it.
(c) He doesn't understand the ideals and motivations of middle-class people.
(d) His family had some strange ideas about wealth.
11. Ulrich notices in Chapter 122 that Arnheim refers to Goethe in what way?
(a) As an example of a talented person who didn't know how to properly execute his ideas.
(b) As an authority figure when Arnheim needs the support.
(c) As someone who, Arnheim feels, represents the spirit of his campaign.
(d) As an example of a person who knew how to execute ideas, but who didn't have much talent.
12. Arnheim is revealed in Chapter 116 to be acting as what?
(a) A representative for a much larger corporation.
(b) A combat tactician.
(c) An informal spy.
(d) A reservist soldier.
13. Who initiated the affair between Ulrich and Bonadea?
(b) No one; it was a mutual decision.
(c) It is never stated.
14. How does Ulrich feel about his relationship with Arnheim in Chapter 112?
(a) Arnheim wants to have a relationship with him, but he doesn't want one.
(b) It is odd, at best.
(c) They are quite close, and trust one another.
(d) Ulrich feels that Arnheim is just using him.
15. How does Ulrich respond to Arnheim's offer in Chapter 121?
(a) He accepts and is excited and grateful to Arnheim.
(b) He accepts, but only because he feels obligated to.
(c) He declines because he is suspicious of Arnheim's motives.
(d) He declines because it is not really in his best interests.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Soliman have extra money in Chapter 104?
2. Who expresses concern in Chapter 107, about Arnheim's relationship with Diotima?
3. What is Rachel's main concern at the end of Chapter 117?
4. From what ailment is Bonadea suffering in Chapter 115?
5. According to the author in Chapter 116, there is sometimes a relationship between what two concepts?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)