|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Bond dictates his return message to M, how much longer will it be before Bond returns to London?
2. When Bond receives an "Eyes Only" message from M, how many groups are there?
3. According to the plan Scaramanga lays out for his guests, where will the train stop?
4. Who refuses to help Scaramanga dispose of the dead body - citing that he's a good Catholic?
5. Before the negotiations begin, who does Scaramanga ask to leave the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the poison that Scaramanga tipped his bullets with not kill Bond?
2. According to Scaramanga, why is having the ships anchored outside the U.S. harbors a risky business?
3. What is the meeting taking place in Bond's hospital room for?
4. Why is Bond slightly nervous just before the "official" meeting gets underway in his hospital room?
5. According to Scaramanga's reminder as the men begin to argue with each other, what was the first agreement the men made when the Co-operative was first formed?
6. According to Scaramanga, when will the ships anchored outside U.S. harbors finally anchor?
7. How does Bond characterize the evening ahead of him after dinner is served before Scaramanga tells Bond to make the evening go better?
8. When the stowaway shows himself on the train, what is the stowaway's plan for Bond?
9. As Bond enters the conference room at the start of Scaramanga's meeting, what are Scaramanga's instructions to Bond?
10. While Bond is meeting with Nicholson and Leiter in the back office, what do the three men decide to do while the body of Rotkopf is being disposed of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James Bond wears different masks in the story. Both a secret agent, a personal assistant, and an insurance investigator, James has many personas to maintain. Identify, then compare and contrast the personas Bond employs. How are they similar? How are they different? What tricks does Bond use to keep his personas straight - and avoid detection? Why is it necessary for Bond to wear different masks?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: James Bond, Felix Leiter, Scaramanga, Hendriks, and M.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the groups of people trying to gain control of the sugar market. Compare and contrast these groups in terms of overall number, organization, overall motivation, ability to plan, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different? Did any one group of people actually end up controlling the sugar market? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the story.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)