|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the plan Scaramanga lays out for his guests, where will the train stop?
2. Who does Bond believe Hendriks is with?
3. How does M sign his communications?
4. Just as Bond is about to shoot Scaramanga, Scaramanga makes one final request. What does Scaramanga ask Bond for?
5. What time is the train supposed to depart with Scaramanga's guests on board?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bond slightly nervous just before the "official" meeting gets underway in his hospital room?
2. According to the first speaker, what was decided at the committee's meeting six months earlier?
3. When Bond asks the stowaway why the stowaway had thought Scaramanga was dead, what does the stowaway say?
4. In the opinion of Scaramanga's chief, what is the only consideration of Mafia men?
5. Why does the poison that Scaramanga tipped his bullets with not kill Bond?
6. While Bond is meeting with Nicholson and Leiter in the back office, what do the three men absolutely agree on?
7. While Bond is meeting with Nicholson and Leiter in the back office, what do the three men decide?
8. As Bond hunts for Scaramanga in the Morass, why does Bond pull up his coat collar?
9. According to Scaramanga, when will the ships anchored outside U.S. harbors finally anchor?
10. When Bond witnesses the train running over the object on the train tracks, what does Bond suddenly realize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The entire story takes place primarily in two different locations. Compare and contrast the following locations in the story - in London and in Savannah La Mar. Be sure to include how the characters are treated in each of these locations, as well as how they live and interact with each other. Of these two locations in the story, which location would you most prefer to live in, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Scaramanga is a man who is supremely confident. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Scaramanga helped by his utter confidence? How is Scaramanga hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)