|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Bond dictates his return message to M, how much longer will it be before Bond returns to London?
2. In order to organize the next day's train trip, who does Scaramanga tell Bond to talk with in the morning?
3. Just as Bond is about to shoot Scaramanga, Scaramanga makes one final request. What does Scaramanga ask Bond for?
4. How many men are present, including Scaramanga, at his meeting?
5. As Gengerella enters the discussion, who does he acknowledge - somewhat snidely - are good traders?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bond slightly nervous just before the "official" meeting gets underway in his hospital room?
2. According to Scaramanga, when will the ships anchored outside U.S. harbors finally anchor?
3. According to Scaramanga's reminder as the men begin to argue with each other, what was the first agreement the men made when the Co-operative was first formed?
4. As the train hurtles forward towards the object blocking the tracks, what does Bond realize is the only thing that can stop the train in time?
5. In the opinion of Scaramanga's chief, what is the only consideration of Mafia men?
6. As Bond hunts for Scaramanga in the Morass, why does Bond pull up his coat collar?
7. When Scaramanga tells Bond that they "must have a shooting match one of these days", how does Bond respond?
8. When the other man at Scaramanga's morning meeting asks Scaramanga how he allowed James Bond into the middle of The Group's negotiations, what does Scaramanga say?
9. According to Scaramanga, why is having the ships anchored outside the U.S. harbors a risky business?
10. According to the first speaker, what was decided at the committee's meeting six months earlier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the groups of people trying to gain control of the sugar market. Compare and contrast these groups in terms of overall number, organization, overall motivation, ability to plan, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different? Did any one group of people actually end up controlling the sugar market? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Scaramanga is a man who is supremely confident. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Scaramanga helped by his utter confidence? How is Scaramanga hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, there are several situations where Bond's life is in danger.
a. Identify at least three instances where Bond's life is in danger. Describe the situation and how Bond survives.
b. Compare and contrast the dangerous situations in which others are attempting to kill Bond. What is the motivation in each of these situations to kill Bond?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)