|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bond arrives at the conference prior to Scaramanga's morning meeting, what does he notice is different about the chair where Rotkopf must have sat the previous day?
2. Where is the secret door that Scaramanga uses to enter Bond's hotel room?
3. According to the plan Scaramanga lays out for his guests, how long will the train trip be?
4. Aboard the train, who sits in the first seat behind the coal tender?
5. Just as Bond is about to shoot Scaramanga, Scaramanga makes one final request. What does Scaramanga ask Bond for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bond slightly nervous just before the "official" meeting gets underway in his hospital room?
2. In the opinion of Scaramanga's chief, what is the only consideration of Mafia men?
3. What important message does the first speaker at the meeting have for the Chairman?
4. While Bond is meeting with Nicholson and Leiter in the back office, what do the three men absolutely agree on?
5. When Bond asks the stowaway why the stowaway had thought Scaramanga was dead, what does the stowaway say?
6. What is the award conferred upon James Bond in his hospital room as he is recovering from his wounds?
7. When Scaramanga begins his morning meeting, what is the first thing he learns from the other man at the meeting?
8. At Scaramanga's dinner, what does Bond notice about all of the meeting attendees as he tries to make small talk with them?
9. As the train hurtles forward towards the object blocking the tracks, what does Bond realize is the only thing that can stop the train in time?
10. According to Scaramanga, why is having the ships anchored outside the U.S. harbors a risky business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is no doubt that James Bond has been greatly affected by his imprisonment and brainwashing experience at the hands of the Russian KGB. Discuss how Bond's imprisonment by the KGB affects his confidence levels, his world outlook, and his ability to interact with those around him. How do his experiences help - and hinder - Bond's ability to do his job?
Essay Topic 2
In addition to deception, greed is a central theme of this novel.
a. Identify three characters that are motivated by greed. Describe their reasons for being greedy.
b. How does greed affect these characters, their decisions, and their actions?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not been greedy? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes in this novel involves deceptive appearances.
a. Identify three characters that use deceptive appearances to further their interests.
b. Why do these characters rely on deception?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not been deceptive? Explain your answer.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)