|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bond arrives at the conference prior to Scaramanga's morning meeting, how does he guess that Rotkopf had died?
2. What does Bond offer to send over to the musician's leader in order to help them liven up Scaramanga's dinner party?
3. Aboard the train, who sits in the first seat behind the coal tender?
4. Who is the first meeting attendee to object to the amount of money Scaramanga is asking for?
5. According to the "official" report, which group was NOT among those represented at the Thunderbird Hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the meeting taking place in Bond's hospital room for?
2. As Bond hunts for Scaramanga in the Morass, why does Bond pull up his coat collar?
3. As the train hurtles forward towards the object blocking the tracks, what does Bond realize is the only thing that can stop the train in time?
4. In the opinion of Scaramanga's chief, what is the only consideration of Mafia men?
5. When Scaramanga tells Bond that they "must have a shooting match one of these days", how does Bond respond?
6. How does the Resident Medical Officer characterize his patient in Number Twelve?
7. When Scaramanga and the person he was meeting with leave the conference room, what do their expressions make Bond feel like?
8. What important message does the first speaker at the meeting have for the Chairman?
9. At Scaramanga's dinner, what does Bond notice about all of the meeting attendees as he tries to make small talk with them?
10. According to the other man at Scaramanga's morning meeting, what identifying mark solidified the positive identification of Scaramanga's personal assistant as James Bond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast James Bond and Felix Leiter.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Looking forward, how might surviving the train ride impact each of these men as they move forward with their lives? Will they be similarly affected or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
James Bond wears different masks in the story. Both a secret agent, a personal assistant, and an insurance investigator, James has many personas to maintain. Identify, then compare and contrast the personas Bond employs. How are they similar? How are they different? What tricks does Bond use to keep his personas straight - and avoid detection? Why is it necessary for Bond to wear different masks?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Scaramanga's loyalties, for instance, lie only with himself, while Leiter is loyal both to the United States and to James Bond. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of Scaramanga, James Bond, Hendriks, Felix Leiter, and Mary Goodnight. Support your observations.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)