|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aboard the train, Scaramanga asks to see some gun play from Bond. What does Scaramanga tell Bond to shoot?
2. Aboard the train, who accidentally shoots the train's driver?
3. What was the name of the British agent that Scaramanga killed a few days earlier?
4. How far from the Thunderbird Hotel is the train station?
5. Before the negotiations begin, who does Scaramanga ask to leave the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the other man at Scaramanga's morning meeting asks Scaramanga how he allowed James Bond into the middle of The Group's negotiations, what does Scaramanga say?
2. When Scaramanga tells Bond that they "must have a shooting match one of these days", how does Bond respond?
3. What is the award conferred upon James Bond in his hospital room as he is recovering from his wounds?
4. According to Scaramanga, only one thing changes now that Scaramanga has heard what the other man at the morning meeting has to say. What is the one thing that changes?
5. Why does the poison that Scaramanga tipped his bullets with not kill Bond?
6. According to Scaramanga's reminder as the men begin to argue with each other, what was the first agreement the men made when the Co-operative was first formed?
7. According to the "Gleaner", who was killed when the bridge near Green Island Harbour "collapsed"?
8. According to Scaramanga, why is having the ships anchored outside the U.S. harbors a risky business?
9. As Bond hunts for Scaramanga in the Morass, why does Bond pull up his coat collar?
10. As the train hurtles forward towards the object blocking the tracks, what does Bond realize is the only thing that can stop the train in time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James Bond wears different masks in the story. Both a secret agent, a personal assistant, and an insurance investigator, James has many personas to maintain. Identify, then compare and contrast the personas Bond employs. How are they similar? How are they different? What tricks does Bond use to keep his personas straight - and avoid detection? Why is it necessary for Bond to wear different masks?
Essay Topic 2
Scaramanga is a man who is supremely confident. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Scaramanga helped by his utter confidence? How is Scaramanga hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
Essay Topic 3
Several times in the story, Bond is helped by other people in order to move forward in both his investigation into Scaramanga and in his personal life.
a. Identify at least three times in the story in which Bond reaches out for help.
b. Compare and contrast each of these events in terms of the situation Bond is trying to understand, the effect of his asking for help, and the situation that immediately follows this time.
c. How might Bond's actions have impacted the story's plot if he hadn't reached out for help from others?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)