|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the last person, aside from Bond, to arrive at the conference room for Scaramanga's meeting?
2. Aboard the train, who accidentally shoots the train's driver?
3. According to what Scaramanga tells Bond in the Morass, how many men has Scaramanga killed in his lifetime?
4. What is the name of the Supreme Court justice present at the "official" meeting that takes place in Bond's hospital room?
5. When everyone boards the train, where does Scaramanga tell Bond to sit?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the train hurtles forward towards the object blocking the tracks, what does Bond realize is the only thing that can stop the train in time?
2. While Bond is meeting with Nicholson and Leiter in the back office, what do the three men decide?
3. When the other man at Scaramanga's morning meeting asks Scaramanga how he allowed James Bond into the middle of The Group's negotiations, what does Scaramanga say?
4. According to the "Gleaner", who was killed when the bridge near Green Island Harbour "collapsed"?
5. How does the Resident Medical Officer characterize his patient in Number Twelve?
6. According to Scaramanga's reminder as the men begin to argue with each other, what was the first agreement the men made when the Co-operative was first formed?
7. According to Scaramanga, why is having the ships anchored outside the U.S. harbors a risky business?
8. While Bond is meeting with Nicholson and Leiter in the back office, what do the three men decide to do while the body of Rotkopf is being disposed of?
9. When Bond witnesses the train running over the object on the train tracks, what does Bond suddenly realize?
10. Why does the poison that Scaramanga tipped his bullets with not kill Bond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the groups of people trying to gain control of the sugar market. Compare and contrast these groups in terms of overall number, organization, overall motivation, ability to plan, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different? Did any one group of people actually end up controlling the sugar market? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Scaramanga is a man who is supremely confident. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Scaramanga helped by his utter confidence? How is Scaramanga hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
Essay Topic 3
Several times in the story, Bond is helped by other people in order to move forward in both his investigation into Scaramanga and in his personal life.
a. Identify at least three times in the story in which Bond reaches out for help.
b. Compare and contrast each of these events in terms of the situation Bond is trying to understand, the effect of his asking for help, and the situation that immediately follows this time.
c. How might Bond's actions have impacted the story's plot if he hadn't reached out for help from others?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)