|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the person who remains behind in Bond's hospital room, what line of work is Bond in?
2. When a voice erupts from the back of the train, who does the voice of the stowaway belong to?
3. According to the excuse Bond gives to Scaramanga after Scaramanga appears in Bond's hotel room, why has Bond's visitor come to see him?
4. According to the "official" report, who were Leiter, Nicholson, and Bond working under the direction of?
5. Who refuses to take part in the phony Notes?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the train hurtles forward towards the object blocking the tracks, what does Bond realize is the only thing that can stop the train in time?
2. What important message does the first speaker at the meeting have for the Chairman?
3. At Scaramanga's dinner, what does Bond notice about all of the meeting attendees as he tries to make small talk with them?
4. While Bond is meeting with Nicholson and Leiter in the back office, what do the three men absolutely agree on?
5. As Bond enters the conference room at the start of Scaramanga's meeting, what are Scaramanga's instructions to Bond?
6. According to Scaramanga, only one thing changes now that Scaramanga has heard what the other man at the morning meeting has to say. What is the one thing that changes?
7. Why does the poison that Scaramanga tipped his bullets with not kill Bond?
8. What is the meeting taking place in Bond's hospital room for?
9. When Bond witnesses the train running over the object on the train tracks, what does Bond suddenly realize?
10. According to Scaramanga, why is having the ships anchored outside the U.S. harbors a risky business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The entire story takes place primarily in two different locations. Compare and contrast the following locations in the story - in London and in Savannah La Mar. Be sure to include how the characters are treated in each of these locations, as well as how they live and interact with each other. Of these two locations in the story, which location would you most prefer to live in, and why?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Scaramanga's loyalties, for instance, lie only with himself, while Leiter is loyal both to the United States and to James Bond. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of Scaramanga, James Bond, Hendriks, Felix Leiter, and Mary Goodnight. Support your observations.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the groups of people trying to gain control of the sugar market. Compare and contrast these groups in terms of overall number, organization, overall motivation, ability to plan, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different? Did any one group of people actually end up controlling the sugar market? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the story.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)