|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aboard the train, who offers Bond a million dollars if only Bond will get the remaining mobsters out of the mess they find themselves in?
2. How much time passes between when Bond shoots Scaramanga in the Morass and when Bond regains consciousness in the hospital?
3. What does the colloquialism "buckra" mean?
4. According to the person who remains behind in Bond's hospital room, what line of work is Bond in?
5. When Bond begins listening at the door to the meeting in the conference room, who is speaking?
Essay Topic 1
Several times in the story, Bond is helped by other people in order to move forward in both his investigation into Scaramanga and in his personal life.
a. Identify at least three times in the story in which Bond reaches out for help.
b. Compare and contrast each of these events in terms of the situation Bond is trying to understand, the effect of his asking for help, and the situation that immediately follows this time.
c. How might Bond's actions have impacted the story's plot if he hadn't reached out for help from others?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the groups of people trying to gain control of the sugar market. Compare and contrast these groups in terms of overall number, organization, overall motivation, ability to plan, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different? Did any one group of people actually end up controlling the sugar market? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
In addition to deception, greed is a central theme of this novel.
a. Identify three characters that are motivated by greed. Describe their reasons for being greedy.
b. How does greed affect these characters, their decisions, and their actions?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not been greedy? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,489 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)