|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the "official" report, who were Leiter, Nicholson, and Bond working under the direction of?
2. As Bond's visitor supports the excuse Bond gives to Scaramanga, by what name does Bond's visitor call Scaramanga?
3. As Bond dictates his return message to M, how much longer will it be before Bond returns to London?
4. Who does Bond believe Nick Nicholson is with?
5. As shots are fired aboard the train, Bond is hit. Where is Bond shot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes in this novel involves deceptive appearances.
a. Identify three characters that use deceptive appearances to further their interests.
b. Why do these characters rely on deception?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not been deceptive? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In many ways, the novel is a series of contrasts designed to heighten the reader's awareness and draw the reader deeper into the story, and the intricacies of each of the story's characters. Identify at least three contrasts that are used in the novel. Describe these contrasts and determine how they impact the story's plot, as well as the reader's emotional involvement in the characters' lives. If these identified contrasts were not included in the story, what impact would their absence have on the storyline, the characters' development, and the readers' involvement?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast James Bond and Scaramanga.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice - both positively and negatively?
This section contains 1,490 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)