|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to what Bond's visitor tells him, where does HQ think Bond is?
2. After the "official" meeting in Bond's hospital room concludes, who does Bond ask to stay behind for a few minutes?
3. What was the name of the British agent that Scaramanga killed a few days earlier?
4. After Scaramanga challenges Bond to make the evening better, what does Bond ask Scaramanga for?
5. After hearing the bribe Bond was offered on the train, how much money does Scaramanga raise his bribe offering to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the award conferred upon James Bond in his hospital room as he is recovering from his wounds?
2. When Scaramanga and the person he was meeting with leave the conference room, what do their expressions make Bond feel like?
3. When Bond witnesses the train running over the object on the train tracks, what does Bond suddenly realize?
4. While Bond is meeting with Nicholson and Leiter in the back office, what do the three men decide to do while the body of Rotkopf is being disposed of?
5. How does the Resident Medical Officer characterize his patient in Number Twelve?
6. In the opinion of Scaramanga's chief, what is the only consideration of Mafia men?
7. Why does the poison that Scaramanga tipped his bullets with not kill Bond?
8. According to the first speaker, what was decided at the committee's meeting six months earlier?
9. According to Scaramanga, why is having the ships anchored outside the U.S. harbors a risky business?
10. When Scaramanga tells Bond that they "must have a shooting match one of these days", how does Bond respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is no doubt that James Bond has been greatly affected by his imprisonment and brainwashing experience at the hands of the Russian KGB. Discuss how Bond's imprisonment by the KGB affects his confidence levels, his world outlook, and his ability to interact with those around him. How do his experiences help - and hinder - Bond's ability to do his job?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the character of James Bond changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of his character when he is first introduced in the story, when he receives his mission to kill Scaramanga, when he is introduced as Scaramanga's personal assistant, and when he finally kills Scaramanga in the swamp. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
James Bond wears different masks in the story. Both a secret agent, a personal assistant, and an insurance investigator, James has many personas to maintain. Identify, then compare and contrast the personas Bond employs. How are they similar? How are they different? What tricks does Bond use to keep his personas straight - and avoid detection? Why is it necessary for Bond to wear different masks?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)