|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to what Scaramanga tells the man he is meeting with, from where did Scaramanga hire the two managers to handle the hotel people for Scaramanga's conference?
2. Aboard the train, who offers Bond a million dollars if only Bond will get the remaining mobsters out of the mess they find themselves in?
3. What was the name of the British agent that Scaramanga killed a few days earlier?
4. When Bond escapes from Scaramanga's dinner party and returns to his room, what time is it?
5. During the train ride, approximately how far away from Bond is Scaramanga?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Bond is meeting with Nicholson and Leiter in the back office, what do the three men decide to do while the body of Rotkopf is being disposed of?
2. According to Scaramanga, why is having the ships anchored outside the U.S. harbors a risky business?
3. When the other man at Scaramanga's morning meeting asks Scaramanga how he allowed James Bond into the middle of The Group's negotiations, what does Scaramanga say?
4. How does Bond characterize the evening ahead of him after dinner is served before Scaramanga tells Bond to make the evening go better?
5. When Bond asks the stowaway why the stowaway had thought Scaramanga was dead, what does the stowaway say?
6. While Bond is meeting with Nicholson and Leiter in the back office, what do the three men absolutely agree on?
7. What important message does the first speaker at the meeting have for the Chairman?
8. According to the first speaker, what was decided at the committee's meeting six months earlier?
9. What is the award conferred upon James Bond in his hospital room as he is recovering from his wounds?
10. As the train hurtles forward towards the object blocking the tracks, what does Bond realize is the only thing that can stop the train in time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Scaramanga's loyalties, for instance, lie only with himself, while Leiter is loyal both to the United States and to James Bond. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of Scaramanga, James Bond, Hendriks, Felix Leiter, and Mary Goodnight. Support your observations.
Essay Topic 2
In addition to deception, greed is a central theme of this novel.
a. Identify three characters that are motivated by greed. Describe their reasons for being greedy.
b. How does greed affect these characters, their decisions, and their actions?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not been greedy? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Several times in the story, Bond is helped by other people in order to move forward in both his investigation into Scaramanga and in his personal life.
a. Identify at least three times in the story in which Bond reaches out for help.
b. Compare and contrast each of these events in terms of the situation Bond is trying to understand, the effect of his asking for help, and the situation that immediately follows this time.
c. How might Bond's actions have impacted the story's plot if he hadn't reached out for help from others?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)