|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The morning of the train trip, who asks for a secure telephone line because the telephone in his room is "not secure enough"?
2. Who is the first meeting attendee to accept the call to provide one million dollars?
3. According to what Scaramanga tells Bond in the Morass, how many men has Scaramanga killed in his lifetime?
4. When Bond arrives at the conference prior to Scaramanga's morning meeting, what does he notice is different about the chair where Rotkopf must have sat the previous day?
5. When Bond arrives at the conference prior to Scaramanga's morning meeting, what does he notice?
Essay Topic 1
Scaramanga is a man who is supremely confident. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Scaramanga helped by his utter confidence? How is Scaramanga hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast James Bond and Felix Leiter.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Looking forward, how might surviving the train ride impact each of these men as they move forward with their lives? Will they be similarly affected or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,517 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)