|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When James Bond first places the call to the Ministry of Defense and asks to speak to M, what department is Bond's call first routed to?
2. Who was in charge of James Bond while he was in captivity?
3. After being captured, where was Bond taken to?
4. What is Scaramanga's first name?
5. Of all the meeting attendees, who is the very first to arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the manager of 3 ½ Love Lane characterize her "business"?
2. Who is Porterfield and what does Porterfield pride himself on being?
3. What is the custom at M's lunchtime restaurant?
4. After fingerprints confirm Bond's identity, why does the Chief of Staff caution M to not see Bond?
5. Why did the Hard Man lose his job as a police superintendent before coming to work for the Ministry of Defense?
6. What is the Silver Greyhound that Bond is carrying as he waits for his connecting flight in the Kingston airport?
7. How does the manager of 3 ½ Love Lane react when she hears footsteps on the stairs above?
8. According to the Chief Security Officer, what was always odd to him about James Bond's death?
9. Why does the girl who manages 3 ½ Love Lane go by such an unusual name?
10. What does the message say that Bond finds at the display stand in the Kingston airport?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes in this novel involves deceptive appearances.
a. Identify three characters that use deceptive appearances to further their interests.
b. Why do these characters rely on deception?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not been deceptive? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the character of James Bond changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of his character when he is first introduced in the story, when he receives his mission to kill Scaramanga, when he is introduced as Scaramanga's personal assistant, and when he finally kills Scaramanga in the swamp. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There is no doubt that James Bond has been greatly affected by his imprisonment and brainwashing experience at the hands of the Russian KGB. Discuss how Bond's imprisonment by the KGB affects his confidence levels, his world outlook, and his ability to interact with those around him. How do his experiences help - and hinder - Bond's ability to do his job?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)