|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the manager at 3 1/2 Love Lane feed to her birds?
2. When Bond first sees Scaramanga the morning after he arrives at the Thunderbird Hotel, what is Scaramanga using to exercise?
3. What does M usually eat for lunch?
4. As the story opens, how long has it been since the story of James Bond's death was reported to the press?
5. The message that Bond finds at the display stand in the Kingston airport mentions SLM. What is SLM?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the manager of 3 ½ Love Lane react when she hears footsteps on the stairs above?
2. Describe the simple trap that Bond puts in front of his door before going to bed at the Thunderbird Hotel.
3. Describe Scaramanga's weapon of choice.
4. When Bond tests his gun after arriving at the Thunderbird Hotel, why does the gun aim an inch high?
5. What is the custom at M's lunchtime restaurant?
6. According to Bond's guess, how much money and how much time are needed in order to bring the Thunderbird Hotel to what Scaramanga's vision is?
7. Why does Mary Goodnight insist on accompanying Bond to Savannah La Mar?
8. According to James Bond, what is the first law for a secret agent?
9. After Bond finds and reads the message he sees at the display stand in the Kingston airport, what does Bond do next?
10. What does the message say that Bond finds at the display stand in the Kingston airport?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how the character of James Bond changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of his character when he is first introduced in the story, when he receives his mission to kill Scaramanga, when he is introduced as Scaramanga's personal assistant, and when he finally kills Scaramanga in the swamp. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
James Bond wears different masks in the story. Both a secret agent, a personal assistant, and an insurance investigator, James has many personas to maintain. Identify, then compare and contrast the personas Bond employs. How are they similar? How are they different? What tricks does Bond use to keep his personas straight - and avoid detection? Why is it necessary for Bond to wear different masks?
Essay Topic 3
There is no doubt that James Bond has been greatly affected by his imprisonment and brainwashing experience at the hands of the Russian KGB. Discuss how Bond's imprisonment by the KGB affects his confidence levels, his world outlook, and his ability to interact with those around him. How do his experiences help - and hinder - Bond's ability to do his job?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)