|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bond finds a bug in his room, where is the bug hidden?
2. After Scaramanga shoots the manager's two birds, what does Bond tell the manager to do?
3. What room is Bond assigned at the Thunderbird Hotel?
4. What is Scaramanga's first name?
5. How long is Captain Walker supposed to keep James Bond on the line so that the call can be traced?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to James Bond, what is the first law for a secret agent?
2. Why did the Hard Man lose his job as a police superintendent before coming to work for the Ministry of Defense?
3. After Bond finds and reads the message he sees at the display stand in the Kingston airport, what does Bond do next?
4. Who is Porterfield and what does Porterfield pride himself on being?
5. What is the "War Book"?
6. Describe the simple trap that Bond puts in front of his door before going to bed at the Thunderbird Hotel.
7. Why does the girl who manages 3 ½ Love Lane go by such an unusual name?
8. According to the briefing Bond gets from Head of Station J's secretary, why is it in Cuba's best interest to disrupt the Jamaican sugar crop?
9. Why does Mary Goodnight insist on accompanying Bond to Savannah La Mar?
10. According to the Chief Security Officer, what was always odd to him about James Bond's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Planning is an essential part of the story for several characters, as well as for the author to ensure that his plot moves forward. Identify instances in which James Bond and Francisco Scaramanga plan for their final showdown. Identify instances in which each of these men fails to plan well. What is revealed about each of these characters through their ability - or lack thereof - to plan? How is the strength of the author revealed in his ability to have his characters adequately plan? Be sure to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Scaramanga is a man who is supremely confident. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Scaramanga helped by his utter confidence? How is Scaramanga hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
Essay Topic 3
There is no doubt that James Bond has been greatly affected by his imprisonment and brainwashing experience at the hands of the Russian KGB. Discuss how Bond's imprisonment by the KGB affects his confidence levels, his world outlook, and his ability to interact with those around him. How do his experiences help - and hinder - Bond's ability to do his job?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)