|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far away from Kingston is Savannah La Mar?
2. As James Bond arrives at the Thunderbird Hotel, how far away is Bond's nearest contact?
3. What kind of beer does Bond drink when he's at 3 1/2 Love Lane?
4. What kind of gun does James Bond carry?
5. What is the name of Head of Station J?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to James Bond, what is the first law for a secret agent?
2. What does the message say that Bond finds at the display stand in the Kingston airport?
3. Why does the girl who manages 3 ½ Love Lane go by such an unusual name?
4. Who is Porterfield and what does Porterfield pride himself on being?
5. According to Bond's guess, how much money and how much time are needed in order to bring the Thunderbird Hotel to what Scaramanga's vision is?
6. Why did the Hard Man lose his job as a police superintendent before coming to work for the Ministry of Defense?
7. How does the manager of 3 ½ Love Lane characterize her "business"?
8. What is the Silver Greyhound that Bond is carrying as he waits for his connecting flight in the Kingston airport?
9. Why is James Bond so pleased to learn the identity of Head of Station J's secretary?
10. Why does Mary Goodnight insist on accompanying Bond to Savannah La Mar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several characters introduced in the story who do not survive until the end of the story. Identify at least three people killed as the novel progresses. Compare and contrast each of these deaths, being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, who was responsible for the character's death, and what impact on the overall plot the character's death had. What could have - or should have - been learned from each of these deaths by the other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the character of James Bond changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of his character when he is first introduced in the story, when he receives his mission to kill Scaramanga, when he is introduced as Scaramanga's personal assistant, and when he finally kills Scaramanga in the swamp. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In addition to deception, greed is a central theme of this novel.
a. Identify three characters that are motivated by greed. Describe their reasons for being greedy.
b. How does greed affect these characters, their decisions, and their actions?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not been greedy? Explain your answer.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)