|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Scaramanga's first name?
2. As James Bond waits for his next flight at the Kingston airport, where is Bond heading to?
3. What does Bond order from room service after he arrives at the Thunderbird Hotel?
4. What does the manager at 3 1/2 Love Lane feed to her birds?
5. As Bond waits in the Kingston airport for his connecting flight, how many other passengers are waiting in the airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Hard Man lose his job as a police superintendent before coming to work for the Ministry of Defense?
2. When Bond tests his gun after arriving at the Thunderbird Hotel, why does the gun aim an inch high?
3. What or who is "The Infuriator"?
4. According to Bond's guess, how much money and how much time are needed in order to bring the Thunderbird Hotel to what Scaramanga's vision is?
5. Why does the girl who manages 3 ½ Love Lane go by such an unusual name?
6. According to M's explanation, why had M chosen Bond for the previous assignment on which he was supposedly killed?
7. According to the Chief Security Officer, what was always odd to him about James Bond's death?
8. Why is James Bond so pleased to learn the identity of Head of Station J's secretary?
9. What is the "War Book"?
10. Why does Bond select the hotel he checks into when he first arrives in London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Scaramanga is a man who is supremely confident. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Scaramanga helped by his utter confidence? How is Scaramanga hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
Essay Topic 2
The entire story takes place primarily in two different locations. Compare and contrast the following locations in the story - in London and in Savannah La Mar. Be sure to include how the characters are treated in each of these locations, as well as how they live and interact with each other. Of these two locations in the story, which location would you most prefer to live in, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Planning is an essential part of the story for several characters, as well as for the author to ensure that his plot moves forward. Identify instances in which James Bond and Francisco Scaramanga plan for their final showdown. Identify instances in which each of these men fails to plan well. What is revealed about each of these characters through their ability - or lack thereof - to plan? How is the strength of the author revealed in his ability to have his characters adequately plan? Be sure to support your reasoning.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)