|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the story opens, how long has it been since the story of James Bond's death was reported to the press?
2. According to Scaramanga's directions, where does Scaramanga want Bond stationed during the negotiations?
3. According to Scaramanga's file, when did Scaramanga begin his "career"?
4. What does Bond order from room service after he arrives at the Thunderbird Hotel?
5. When Bond first sees Scaramanga the morning after he arrives at the Thunderbird Hotel, what is Scaramanga using to exercise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary Goodnight insist on accompanying Bond to Savannah La Mar?
2. Describe the simple trap that Bond puts in front of his door before going to bed at the Thunderbird Hotel.
3. When Bond finds the bug in his room at the Thunderbird Hotel, what does Bond briefly toy with the idea of doing?
4. Why is the paper Bond purchases from the shop at the Kingston airport one of his favorites?
5. When Bond tests his gun after arriving at the Thunderbird Hotel, why does the gun aim an inch high?
6. What does Bond tell Goodnight about his mission before sending her back to Kingston?
7. According to James Bond, what is the first law for a secret agent?
8. What is the Silver Greyhound that Bond is carrying as he waits for his connecting flight in the Kingston airport?
9. Describe Scaramanga's weapon of choice.
10. According to Bond's guess, how much money and how much time are needed in order to bring the Thunderbird Hotel to what Scaramanga's vision is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes in this novel involves deceptive appearances.
a. Identify three characters that use deceptive appearances to further their interests.
b. Why do these characters rely on deception?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not been deceptive? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Scaramanga's loyalties, for instance, lie only with himself, while Leiter is loyal both to the United States and to James Bond. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of Scaramanga, James Bond, Hendriks, Felix Leiter, and Mary Goodnight. Support your observations.
Essay Topic 3
Planning is an essential part of the story for several characters, as well as for the author to ensure that his plot moves forward. Identify instances in which James Bond and Francisco Scaramanga plan for their final showdown. Identify instances in which each of these men fails to plan well. What is revealed about each of these characters through their ability - or lack thereof - to plan? How is the strength of the author revealed in his ability to have his characters adequately plan? Be sure to support your reasoning.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)