Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the girl who serves Bond a drink at 3 1/2 Love Lane planning to do when the property is sold?
2. As James Bond arrives at the Thunderbird Hotel, how far away is Bond's nearest contact?
3. When Bond checks the display stand holding messages for incoming and outgoing passengers, what name does Bond use for the British Secret Service's new cover organization?
4. When Bond asks Scaramanga for a list of meeting attendees, who is the first person Scaramanga mentions?
5. When James Bond first places the call to the Ministry of Defense and asks to speak to M, what department is Bond's call first routed to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important message does the first speaker at the meeting have for the Chairman?
2. As Bond hunts for Scaramanga in the Morass, why does Bond pull up his coat collar?
3. According to the "Gleaner", who was killed when the bridge near Green Island Harbour "collapsed"?
4. Why does Mary Goodnight insist on accompanying Bond to Savannah La Mar?
5. What event did the beginning of Scaramanga's career coincide with?
6. While Bond is meeting with Nicholson and Leiter in the back office, what do the three men decide?
7. What or who is "The Infuriator"?
8. When Bond finds the bug in his room at the Thunderbird Hotel, what does Bond briefly toy with the idea of doing?
9. Why did the Hard Man lose his job as a police superintendent before coming to work for the Ministry of Defense?
10. What is the custom at M's lunchtime restaurant?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, there are several situations where Bond's life is in danger.
a. Identify at least three instances where Bond's life is in danger. Describe the situation and how Bond survives.
b. Compare and contrast the dangerous situations in which others are attempting to kill Bond. What is the motivation in each of these situations to kill Bond?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Scaramanga's loyalties, for instance, lie only with himself, while Leiter is loyal both to the United States and to James Bond. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of Scaramanga, James Bond, Hendriks, Felix Leiter, and Mary Goodnight. Support your observations.
Essay Topic 3
James Bond wears different masks in the story. Both a secret agent, a personal assistant, and an insurance investigator, James has many personas to maintain. Identify, then compare and contrast the personas Bond employs. How are they similar? How are they different? What tricks does Bond use to keep his personas straight - and avoid detection? Why is it necessary for Bond to wear different masks?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)