|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the meeting attendees is described as a big shot in the entertainment world?
2. What does M usually eat for lunch?
3. What is the number of Bond's friend who is currently the Head of Station in Berlin?
4. Which of the meeting attendees does Bond recognize as belonging to the Purple Gang in Detroit?
5. Of all the meeting attendees, who is the very first to arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Bond finds and reads the message he sees at the display stand in the Kingston airport, what does Bond do next?
2. Why is James Bond so pleased to learn the identity of Head of Station J's secretary?
3. According to the Chief Security Officer, what was always odd to him about James Bond's death?
4. According to the briefing Bond gets from Head of Station J's secretary, why is it in Cuba's best interest to disrupt the Jamaican sugar crop?
5. What is the "War Book"?
6. Why does Mary Goodnight insist on accompanying Bond to Savannah La Mar?
7. According to Bond's guess, how much money and how much time are needed in order to bring the Thunderbird Hotel to what Scaramanga's vision is?
8. Although the description of Scaramanga in Records is exact, what does the description fail to catch?
9. According to James Bond, what is the first law for a secret agent?
10. What is the Silver Greyhound that Bond is carrying as he waits for his connecting flight in the Kingston airport?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James Bond wears different masks in the story. Both a secret agent, a personal assistant, and an insurance investigator, James has many personas to maintain. Identify, then compare and contrast the personas Bond employs. How are they similar? How are they different? What tricks does Bond use to keep his personas straight - and avoid detection? Why is it necessary for Bond to wear different masks?
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes in this novel involves deceptive appearances.
a. Identify three characters that use deceptive appearances to further their interests.
b. Why do these characters rely on deception?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not been deceptive? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast James Bond and Scaramanga.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice - both positively and negatively?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)