|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bond is asked by the manager to step into his office and meet his assistant, who is actually waiting in the manager's office for Bond?
2. As James Bond waits for his next flight at the Kingston airport, where is Bond heading to?
3. When Bond checks the display stand holding messages for incoming and outgoing passengers and finds a message, where does Bond go to read the message?
4. As Bond waits for his connecting flight in the Kingston airport, how long has he been chasing after Scaramanga?
5. Who does the manager of 3 ½ Love Lane hope will put a hex on Scaramanga for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the paper Bond purchases from the shop at the Kingston airport one of his favorites?
2. What is the Silver Greyhound that Bond is carrying as he waits for his connecting flight in the Kingston airport?
3. Why does Mary Goodnight insist on accompanying Bond to Savannah La Mar?
4. According to Bond's guess, how much money and how much time are needed in order to bring the Thunderbird Hotel to what Scaramanga's vision is?
5. When Bond tests his gun after arriving at the Thunderbird Hotel, why does the gun aim an inch high?
6. Why does the wine committee at M's lunchtime restaurant stock wine that is not allowed to be on the restaurant's wine list?
7. What does the message say that Bond finds at the display stand in the Kingston airport?
8. Why does Bond select the hotel he checks into when he first arrives in London?
9. According to the Chief Security Officer, what was always odd to him about James Bond's death?
10. How does the manager of 3 ½ Love Lane react when she hears footsteps on the stairs above?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, there are several situations where Bond's life is in danger.
a. Identify at least three instances where Bond's life is in danger. Describe the situation and how Bond survives.
b. Compare and contrast the dangerous situations in which others are attempting to kill Bond. What is the motivation in each of these situations to kill Bond?
Essay Topic 2
In addition to deception, greed is a central theme of this novel.
a. Identify three characters that are motivated by greed. Describe their reasons for being greedy.
b. How does greed affect these characters, their decisions, and their actions?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not been greedy? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In many ways, the novel is a series of contrasts designed to heighten the reader's awareness and draw the reader deeper into the story, and the intricacies of each of the story's characters. Identify at least three contrasts that are used in the novel. Describe these contrasts and determine how they impact the story's plot, as well as the reader's emotional involvement in the characters' lives. If these identified contrasts were not included in the story, what impact would their absence have on the storyline, the characters' development, and the readers' involvement?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)