Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the girl who serves Bond a drink at 3 1/2 Love Lane planning to do when the property is sold?
2. As James Bond arrives at the Thunderbird Hotel, how far away is Bond's nearest contact?
3. When Bond checks the display stand holding messages for incoming and outgoing passengers, what name does Bond use for the British Secret Service's new cover organization?
4. When Bond asks Scaramanga for a list of meeting attendees, who is the first person Scaramanga mentions?
5. When James Bond first places the call to the Ministry of Defense and asks to speak to M, what department is Bond's call first routed to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important message does the first speaker at the meeting have for the Chairman?
2. As Bond hunts for Scaramanga in the Morass, why does Bond pull up his coat collar?
3. According to the "Gleaner", who was killed when the bridge near Green Island Harbour "collapsed"?
4. Why does Mary Goodnight insist on accompanying Bond to Savannah La Mar?
5. What event did the beginning of Scaramanga's career coincide with?
6. While Bond is meeting with Nicholson and Leiter in the back office, what do the three men decide?
7. What or who is "The Infuriator"?
8. When Bond finds the bug in his room at the Thunderbird Hotel, what does Bond briefly toy with the idea of doing?
9. Why did the Hard Man lose his job as a police superintendent before coming to work for the Ministry of Defense?
10. What is the custom at M's lunchtime restaurant?
Essay Topic 1
The book is entitled, "The Man with the Golden Gun". Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of both the protagonist and the antagonist, and the determination of James Bond to end up on top?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the groups of people trying to gain control of the sugar market. Compare and contrast these groups in terms of overall number, organization, overall motivation, ability to plan, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different? Did any one group of people actually end up controlling the sugar market? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
James Bond wears different masks in the story. Both a secret agent, a personal assistant, and an insurance investigator, James has many personas to maintain. Identify, then compare and contrast the personas Bond employs. How are they similar? How are they different? What tricks does Bond use to keep his personas straight - and avoid detection? Why is it necessary for Bond to wear different masks?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)