|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the girl who serves Bond a drink at 3 1/2 Love Lane planning to do when the property is sold?
2. As James Bond arrives at the Thunderbird Hotel, how far away is Bond's nearest contact?
3. When Bond checks the display stand holding messages for incoming and outgoing passengers, what name does Bond use for the British Secret Service's new cover organization?
4. When Bond asks Scaramanga for a list of meeting attendees, who is the first person Scaramanga mentions?
5. When James Bond first places the call to the Ministry of Defense and asks to speak to M, what department is Bond's call first routed to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important message does the first speaker at the meeting have for the Chairman?
2. As Bond hunts for Scaramanga in the Morass, why does Bond pull up his coat collar?
3. According to the "Gleaner", who was killed when the bridge near Green Island Harbour "collapsed"?
4. Why does Mary Goodnight insist on accompanying Bond to Savannah La Mar?
5. What event did the beginning of Scaramanga's career coincide with?
6. While Bond is meeting with Nicholson and Leiter in the back office, what do the three men decide?
7. What or who is "The Infuriator"?
8. When Bond finds the bug in his room at the Thunderbird Hotel, what does Bond briefly toy with the idea of doing?
9. Why did the Hard Man lose his job as a police superintendent before coming to work for the Ministry of Defense?
10. What is the custom at M's lunchtime restaurant?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast James Bond and Scaramanga.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
Planning is an essential part of the story for several characters, as well as for the author to ensure that his plot moves forward. Identify instances in which James Bond and Francisco Scaramanga plan for their final showdown. Identify instances in which each of these men fails to plan well. What is revealed about each of these characters through their ability - or lack thereof - to plan? How is the strength of the author revealed in his ability to have his characters adequately plan? Be sure to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Scaramanga is a man who is supremely confident. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Scaramanga helped by his utter confidence? How is Scaramanga hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
This section contains 1,903 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)