|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the circus elephant that had been killed as a young Scaramanga was trying to protect it?
2. In what country was the mission that James Bond supposedly died while working on?
3. Which of the meeting attendees does Bond recognize as belonging to the Purple Gang in Detroit?
4. What is the name of the head waitress at M's usual lunchtime restaurant?
5. When Bond checks the display stand holding messages for incoming and outgoing passengers, what name does Bond use for the British Secret Service's new cover organization?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to M's explanation, why had M chosen Bond for the previous assignment on which he was supposedly killed?
2. Describe the simple trap that Bond puts in front of his door before going to bed at the Thunderbird Hotel.
3. Although the description of Scaramanga in Records is exact, what does the description fail to catch?
4. What is the "War Book"?
5. After fingerprints confirm Bond's identity, why does the Chief of Staff caution M to not see Bond?
6. According to the Chief Security Officer, what was always odd to him about James Bond's death?
7. Why does Bond select the hotel he checks into when he first arrives in London?
8. What does Bond tell Goodnight about his mission before sending her back to Kingston?
9. After Bond finds and reads the message he sees at the display stand in the Kingston airport, what does Bond do next?
10. What is the Silver Greyhound that Bond is carrying as he waits for his connecting flight in the Kingston airport?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the groups of people trying to gain control of the sugar market. Compare and contrast these groups in terms of overall number, organization, overall motivation, ability to plan, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different? Did any one group of people actually end up controlling the sugar market? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
The book is entitled, "The Man with the Golden Gun". Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of both the protagonist and the antagonist, and the determination of James Bond to end up on top?
Essay Topic 3
In addition to deception, greed is a central theme of this novel.
a. Identify three characters that are motivated by greed. Describe their reasons for being greedy.
b. How does greed affect these characters, their decisions, and their actions?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not been greedy? Explain your answer.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)