|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As James Bond waits for his next flight at the Kingston airport, where is Bond heading to?
2. According to what Bond tells Scaramanga when introducing himself, what business does Bond tell Scaramanga he is in?
3. What is the name of the girl who serves Bond a drink at 3 1/2 Love Lane?
4. What is the national bird of Jamaica?
5. As Bond waits in the Kingston airport for his connecting flight, how many other passengers are waiting in the airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the briefing Bond gets from Head of Station J's secretary, why is it in Cuba's best interest to disrupt the Jamaican sugar crop?
2. Describe Scaramanga's weapon of choice.
3. What or who is "The Infuriator"?
4. How does the manager of 3 ½ Love Lane characterize her "business"?
5. Why does the wine committee at M's lunchtime restaurant stock wine that is not allowed to be on the restaurant's wine list?
6. Who is Porterfield and what does Porterfield pride himself on being?
7. According to Bond's guess, how much money and how much time are needed in order to bring the Thunderbird Hotel to what Scaramanga's vision is?
8. When Bond tests his gun after arriving at the Thunderbird Hotel, why does the gun aim an inch high?
9. What is the Silver Greyhound that Bond is carrying as he waits for his connecting flight in the Kingston airport?
10. As Bond follows Scaramanga to the Thunderbird Hotel, how does Bond feel as they arrive at the darkened hotel, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is no doubt that James Bond has been greatly affected by his imprisonment and brainwashing experience at the hands of the Russian KGB. Discuss how Bond's imprisonment by the KGB affects his confidence levels, his world outlook, and his ability to interact with those around him. How do his experiences help - and hinder - Bond's ability to do his job?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the character of James Bond changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of his character when he is first introduced in the story, when he receives his mission to kill Scaramanga, when he is introduced as Scaramanga's personal assistant, and when he finally kills Scaramanga in the swamp. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Planning is an essential part of the story for several characters, as well as for the author to ensure that his plot moves forward. Identify instances in which James Bond and Francisco Scaramanga plan for their final showdown. Identify instances in which each of these men fails to plan well. What is revealed about each of these characters through their ability - or lack thereof - to plan? How is the strength of the author revealed in his ability to have his characters adequately plan? Be sure to support your reasoning.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)