|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country was the mission that James Bond supposedly died while working on?
2. What was the name of the circus elephant that had been killed as a young Scaramanga was trying to protect it?
3. What is the name of the neurologist M sent Bond to?
4. How far away from Kingston is Savannah La Mar?
5. In what newspaper did Bond's obituary appear?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Scaramanga begins his morning meeting, what is the first thing he learns from the other man at the meeting?
2. Why does Mary Goodnight insist on accompanying Bond to Savannah La Mar?
3. According to the Chief Security Officer, what was always odd to him about James Bond's death?
4. When Scaramanga and the person he was meeting with leave the conference room, what do their expressions make Bond feel like?
5. Why does the girl who manages 3 ½ Love Lane go by such an unusual name?
6. How does Bond characterize the evening ahead of him after dinner is served before Scaramanga tells Bond to make the evening go better?
7. What is the award conferred upon James Bond in his hospital room as he is recovering from his wounds?
8. Although the description of Scaramanga in Records is exact, what does the description fail to catch?
9. According to Scaramanga's reminder as the men begin to argue with each other, what was the first agreement the men made when the Co-operative was first formed?
10. After fingerprints confirm Bond's identity, why does the Chief of Staff caution M to not see Bond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James Bond wears different masks in the story. Both a secret agent, a personal assistant, and an insurance investigator, James has many personas to maintain. Identify, then compare and contrast the personas Bond employs. How are they similar? How are they different? What tricks does Bond use to keep his personas straight - and avoid detection? Why is it necessary for Bond to wear different masks?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, there are several situations where Bond's life is in danger.
a. Identify at least three instances where Bond's life is in danger. Describe the situation and how Bond survives.
b. Compare and contrast the dangerous situations in which others are attempting to kill Bond. What is the motivation in each of these situations to kill Bond?
Essay Topic 3
Planning is an essential part of the story for several characters, as well as for the author to ensure that his plot moves forward. Identify instances in which James Bond and Francisco Scaramanga plan for their final showdown. Identify instances in which each of these men fails to plan well. What is revealed about each of these characters through their ability - or lack thereof - to plan? How is the strength of the author revealed in his ability to have his characters adequately plan? Be sure to support your reasoning.
This section contains 1,937 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)