|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the circus elephant that had been killed as a young Scaramanga was trying to protect it?
2. What company has recently been accepted as the new cover for the British Secret Service?
3. What kind of poison does James Bond try to shoot M with?
4. What is the girl who serves Bond a drink at 3 1/2 Love Lane planning to do when the property is sold?
5. What is the name of the girl who serves Bond a drink at 3 1/2 Love Lane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the simple trap that Bond puts in front of his door before going to bed at the Thunderbird Hotel.
2. What event did the beginning of Scaramanga's career coincide with?
3. What does Bond tell Goodnight about his mission before sending her back to Kingston?
4. Why is James Bond so pleased to learn the identity of Head of Station J's secretary?
5. What is the custom at M's lunchtime restaurant?
6. Describe Scaramanga's weapon of choice.
7. According to Bond's guess, how much money and how much time are needed in order to bring the Thunderbird Hotel to what Scaramanga's vision is?
8. How does the manager of 3 ½ Love Lane react when she hears footsteps on the stairs above?
9. When Bond tests his gun after arriving at the Thunderbird Hotel, why does the gun aim an inch high?
10. According to the Chief Security Officer, what was always odd to him about James Bond's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times in the story, Bond is helped by other people in order to move forward in both his investigation into Scaramanga and in his personal life.
a. Identify at least three times in the story in which Bond reaches out for help.
b. Compare and contrast each of these events in terms of the situation Bond is trying to understand, the effect of his asking for help, and the situation that immediately follows this time.
c. How might Bond's actions have impacted the story's plot if he hadn't reached out for help from others?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Scaramanga's loyalties, for instance, lie only with himself, while Leiter is loyal both to the United States and to James Bond. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of Scaramanga, James Bond, Hendriks, Felix Leiter, and Mary Goodnight. Support your observations.
Essay Topic 3
Scaramanga is a man who is supremely confident. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Scaramanga helped by his utter confidence? How is Scaramanga hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)