Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the girl who serves Bond a drink at 3 1/2 Love Lane planning to do when the property is sold?
2. As James Bond arrives at the Thunderbird Hotel, how far away is Bond's nearest contact?
3. When Bond checks the display stand holding messages for incoming and outgoing passengers, what name does Bond use for the British Secret Service's new cover organization?
4. When Bond asks Scaramanga for a list of meeting attendees, who is the first person Scaramanga mentions?
5. When James Bond first places the call to the Ministry of Defense and asks to speak to M, what department is Bond's call first routed to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important message does the first speaker at the meeting have for the Chairman?
2. As Bond hunts for Scaramanga in the Morass, why does Bond pull up his coat collar?
3. According to the "Gleaner", who was killed when the bridge near Green Island Harbour "collapsed"?
4. Why does Mary Goodnight insist on accompanying Bond to Savannah La Mar?
5. What event did the beginning of Scaramanga's career coincide with?
6. While Bond is meeting with Nicholson and Leiter in the back office, what do the three men decide?
7. What or who is "The Infuriator"?
8. When Bond finds the bug in his room at the Thunderbird Hotel, what does Bond briefly toy with the idea of doing?
9. Why did the Hard Man lose his job as a police superintendent before coming to work for the Ministry of Defense?
10. What is the custom at M's lunchtime restaurant?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Scaramanga is a man who is supremely confident. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Scaramanga helped by his utter confidence? How is Scaramanga hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
Essay Topic 3
In addition to deception, greed is a central theme of this novel.
a. Identify three characters that are motivated by greed. Describe their reasons for being greedy.
b. How does greed affect these characters, their decisions, and their actions?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not been greedy? Explain your answer.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)