|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the address of the property being auctioned off in Savannah La Mar?
2. When Bond checks the display stand holding messages for incoming and outgoing passengers, what does Bond check under "H" for?
3. What is the name on Bond's forged British passport?
4. What is Scaramanga's nickname?
5. What is the name of the hotel Scaramanga is staying at?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the paper Bond purchases from the shop at the Kingston airport one of his favorites?
2. According to Bond's guess, how much money and how much time are needed in order to bring the Thunderbird Hotel to what Scaramanga's vision is?
3. According to the briefing Bond gets from Head of Station J's secretary, why is it in Cuba's best interest to disrupt the Jamaican sugar crop?
4. When Bond tests his gun after arriving at the Thunderbird Hotel, why does the gun aim an inch high?
5. Who is Porterfield and what does Porterfield pride himself on being?
6. What is the Silver Greyhound that Bond is carrying as he waits for his connecting flight in the Kingston airport?
7. What does Bond tell Goodnight about his mission before sending her back to Kingston?
8. When Bond finds the bug in his room at the Thunderbird Hotel, what does Bond briefly toy with the idea of doing?
9. How does the manager of 3 ½ Love Lane characterize her "business"?
10. Describe Scaramanga's weapon of choice.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is no doubt that James Bond has been greatly affected by his imprisonment and brainwashing experience at the hands of the Russian KGB. Discuss how Bond's imprisonment by the KGB affects his confidence levels, his world outlook, and his ability to interact with those around him. How do his experiences help - and hinder - Bond's ability to do his job?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the groups of people trying to gain control of the sugar market. Compare and contrast these groups in terms of overall number, organization, overall motivation, ability to plan, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different? Did any one group of people actually end up controlling the sugar market? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the story.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)