|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far away from Kingston is Savannah La Mar?
2. The message that Bond finds at the display stand in the Kingston airport mentions SLM. What is SLM?
3. When Bond asks Scaramanga for a list of meeting attendees, who is the first person Scaramanga mentions?
4. What was the name of the circus elephant that had been killed as a young Scaramanga was trying to protect it?
5. How does Scaramanga introduce Bond to the meeting attendees?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Porterfield and what does Porterfield pride himself on being?
2. Why is James Bond so pleased to learn the identity of Head of Station J's secretary?
3. What does Bond tell Goodnight about his mission before sending her back to Kingston?
4. Describe the simple trap that Bond puts in front of his door before going to bed at the Thunderbird Hotel.
5. What does the message say that Bond finds at the display stand in the Kingston airport?
6. When Bond tests his gun after arriving at the Thunderbird Hotel, why does the gun aim an inch high?
7. What is the "War Book"?
8. According to Bond's guess, how much money and how much time are needed in order to bring the Thunderbird Hotel to what Scaramanga's vision is?
9. After fingerprints confirm Bond's identity, why does the Chief of Staff caution M to not see Bond?
10. Why does the girl who manages 3 ½ Love Lane go by such an unusual name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many ways, the novel is a series of contrasts designed to heighten the reader's awareness and draw the reader deeper into the story, and the intricacies of each of the story's characters. Identify at least three contrasts that are used in the novel. Describe these contrasts and determine how they impact the story's plot, as well as the reader's emotional involvement in the characters' lives. If these identified contrasts were not included in the story, what impact would their absence have on the storyline, the characters' development, and the readers' involvement?
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes in this novel involves deceptive appearances.
a. Identify three characters that use deceptive appearances to further their interests.
b. Why do these characters rely on deception?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not been deceptive? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, there are several situations where Bond's life is in danger.
a. Identify at least three instances where Bond's life is in danger. Describe the situation and how Bond survives.
b. Compare and contrast the dangerous situations in which others are attempting to kill Bond. What is the motivation in each of these situations to kill Bond?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)