|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Head of Station J?
2. When James Bond first places the call to the Ministry of Defense and asks to speak to M, what department is Bond's call first routed to?
3. By what name does Bond go by when he introduces himself to the girl who serves him a drink at 3 1/2 Love Lane?
4. What does M usually eat for lunch?
5. Of all the meeting attendees, who is the very first to arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Bond hunts for Scaramanga in the Morass, why does Bond pull up his coat collar?
2. While Bond is meeting with Nicholson and Leiter in the back office, what do the three men decide?
3. As the train hurtles forward towards the object blocking the tracks, what does Bond realize is the only thing that can stop the train in time?
4. Why does the wine committee at M's lunchtime restaurant stock wine that is not allowed to be on the restaurant's wine list?
5. While Bond is meeting with Nicholson and Leiter in the back office, what do the three men absolutely agree on?
6. When the stowaway shows himself on the train, what is the stowaway's plan for Bond?
7. When Bond witnesses the train running over the object on the train tracks, what does Bond suddenly realize?
8. Why is the paper Bond purchases from the shop at the Kingston airport one of his favorites?
9. When Scaramanga and the person he was meeting with leave the conference room, what do their expressions make Bond feel like?
10. What or who is "The Infuriator"?
Essay Topic 1
Planning is an essential part of the story for several characters, as well as for the author to ensure that his plot moves forward. Identify instances in which James Bond and Francisco Scaramanga plan for their final showdown. Identify instances in which each of these men fails to plan well. What is revealed about each of these characters through their ability - or lack thereof - to plan? How is the strength of the author revealed in his ability to have his characters adequately plan? Be sure to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
The entire story takes place primarily in two different locations. Compare and contrast the following locations in the story - in London and in Savannah La Mar. Be sure to include how the characters are treated in each of these locations, as well as how they live and interact with each other. Of these two locations in the story, which location would you most prefer to live in, and why?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Scaramanga's loyalties, for instance, lie only with himself, while Leiter is loyal both to the United States and to James Bond. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of Scaramanga, James Bond, Hendriks, Felix Leiter, and Mary Goodnight. Support your observations.
This section contains 1,988 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)