|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 9, Man," Fletcher planned to spend several days with a friend researching the Canyon. Who was this friend?
2. Where was Fletcher headed at the beginning of "Chapter 9, Man?"
3. At the beginning of "Chapter 6, Rock" what was one of the things Fletcher noticed and described that was in the cave where his first cache was stored?
4. In "Part 4, Epilogue" what does Fletcher say no man has a right to do?
5. Where was Fletcher headed at the beginning of "Chapter 9, Man"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Epilogue, Fletcher quotes Joseph Wood Krutch as saying, "When a man despoils a work of art we call him a vandal, when he despoils a work of nature we call him a developer." Discuss what this comment means and why it gives the reader insight into Fletcher's viewpoint on nature versus urban development.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two dangers Fletcher faces during his journey. Explain how he prepared for such dangers. Give details about the dangers and events if any where they could have changed the outcome of the journey. Conclude your essay with how Fletcher avoided the dangers and what would have happened if he had acted differently.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 4, Fletcher details many mishaps, which he calls "stupidities." Discuss three of these giving details about the events, how Fletcher dealt with them, and the outcomes. Describe what Fletcher's reaction to these events says about his character.
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)