|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the 2nd intrusion from the outside world that Fletcher describes in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
2. What was the 3rd intrusion from the outside world that Fletcher describes in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
3. In what ancient living quarters did Fletcher sleep in "Chapter 9, Man?"
4. What place did Fletcher pass on his way to Phantom Ranch that he said was derelict and dry-rotting?
5. According to Fletcher, what was the motivation behind the Pacific Southwest Water Plan engineers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two dangers Fletcher faces during his journey. Explain how he prepared for such dangers. Give details about the dangers and events if any where they could have changed the outcome of the journey. Conclude your essay with how Fletcher avoided the dangers and what would have happened if he had acted differently.
Essay Topic 2
Silence is a theme revisited repeatedly in The Man Who Walked Through Time. How does the author first introduce us to the idea of silence? How does he develop the theme? How does his perception of silence and his attitude toward it change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Although Fletcher is in great physical shape and has lived a solitary simple lifestyle before, he has an adjustment period upon entering the Canyon. Describe the process Fletcher goes through to change himself physically and mentally to adapt to the journey during the first week.
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)