|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fletcher say his book could become if the Grand Canyon was not protected?
2. Whom does Fletcher quote at the end of "Part 4, Epilogue" as saying the Grand Canyon should be left alone?
3. What was Fletcher afraid would be the most tragic loss for the Grand Canyon if the proposed water plan went through?
4. What disease did Fletcher say plagued William Wallace Bass?
5. Where were William Wallace Bass's ashes scattered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a footnote, Fletcher briefly describes his life as a compulsive walker and gives a few details about another long journey he took in the past. In your own words, describe the lifestyle of a compulsive walker and give reasons why this lifestyle helped Fletcher have a successful journey through the Grand Canyon.
Essay Topic 2
Compare different aspects of Fletcher's personality. Include specific details from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author develop the concept of becoming one with nature or connecting to nature? Give some examples of how his connection with the Canyon changes throughout the book.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)