|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fletcher say his book could become if the Grand Canyon was not protected?
2. How did Fletcher feel about the Grand Canyon during his time at Phantom Ranch?
3. What was one sad reflection Fletcher recorded in his notebook in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
4. What action by William Wallace Bass did Fletcher disagree with?
5. As Fletcher approached Phantom Ranch, what did he begin to notice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Epilogue, Fletcher approaches the subject of preserving the Grand Canyon and other natural wonders. Explain what danger faced the Grand Canyon at that time. Give details about who was proposing the plan, what they intended to do, and what Fletcher believed could happen to the Canyon if they were allowed to continue. Include Fletcher's viewpoint on the matter.
Essay Topic 2
Describe different examples of how the Fletcher's experience living the simple life on other treks helps him survive and even thrive on the long journey through the Canyon.
Essay Topic 3
Describe five different physical challenges that face Fletcher on his journey and how he overcomes them.
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)