|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Fletcher, what physical effects could the Pacific Southwest Water Plan have had on the Grand Canyon?
2. At the beginning of "Chapter 10, Exit," what does Fletcher say caught up with him while he was washing in the Nankoweap Creek?
3. What does Fletcher mainly address in "Part 4, Epilogue?"
4. How did Fletcher feel about leaving the Canyon in "Chapter 10 Exit?"
5. On his journey from Bass Trail to Phantom Ranch, where did Fletcher spend a day doing reconnaissance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Epilogue, Fletcher quotes Joseph Wood Krutch as saying, "When a man despoils a work of art we call him a vandal, when he despoils a work of nature we call him a developer." Discuss what this comment means and why it gives the reader insight into Fletcher's viewpoint on nature versus urban development.
Essay Topic 2
Give five examples of imagery Fletcher uses in the book. Include details and reasons why imagery is such an important component of the book.
Essay Topic 3
In the Epilogue, Fletcher approaches the subject of preserving the Grand Canyon and other natural wonders. Explain what danger faced the Grand Canyon at that time. Give details about who was proposing the plan, what they intended to do, and what Fletcher believed could happen to the Canyon if they were allowed to continue. Include Fletcher's viewpoint on the matter.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)