|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did it take Fletcher to travel from Bass Trail to Phantom Ranch?
2. At the beginning of "Chapter 10, Exit," what does Fletcher say caught up with him while he was washing in the Nankoweap Creek?
3. Where did Fletcher spend four days walking on his journey from Bass Trail to Phantom Ranch?
4. Why did Fletcher sound strange when he spoke to Jim Bailey in "Chapter 6, Rock?"
5. At the beginning of "Chapter 8, Life" what did Fletcher say he should have known "would drag me back into the present?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Epilogue, Fletcher approaches the subject of preserving the Grand Canyon and other natural wonders. Explain what danger faced the Grand Canyon at that time. Give details about who was proposing the plan, what they intended to do, and what Fletcher believed could happen to the Canyon if they were allowed to continue. Include Fletcher's viewpoint on the matter.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author develop the concept of becoming one with nature or connecting to nature? Give some examples of how his connection with the Canyon changes throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe different examples of how the Fletcher's experience living the simple life on other treks helps him survive and even thrive on the long journey through the Canyon.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)