|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Fletcher say lived in significant numbers in the area past the head of Forester Canyon?
2. What realization did Fletcher reach as he spent time observing wildlife on the sand bar?
3. How did Fletcher feel about leaving the Canyon in "Chapter 10 Exit?"
4. What was one sad reflection Fletcher recorded in his notebook in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
5. What does Fletcher say his book could become if the Grand Canyon was not protected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two people who influenced Fletcher either before, during, or after his journey. Give detailed descriptions of who they were and how they became part of Fletcher's experience. Compare their lives and the ways they influenced Fletcher.
Essay Topic 2
In the Epilogue, Fletcher approaches the subject of preserving the Grand Canyon and other natural wonders. Explain what danger faced the Grand Canyon at that time. Give details about who was proposing the plan, what they intended to do, and what Fletcher believed could happen to the Canyon if they were allowed to continue. Include Fletcher's viewpoint on the matter.
Essay Topic 3
In the Epilogue, Fletcher quotes Joseph Wood Krutch as saying, "When a man despoils a work of art we call him a vandal, when he despoils a work of nature we call him a developer." Discuss what this comment means and why it gives the reader insight into Fletcher's viewpoint on nature versus urban development.
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)