|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Grand Canyon is found in the northern part of what state?
2. What river still runs at the bottom of the Grand Canyon?
3. What part of nature is not described in "Part 2, The Dream?"
4. What places were presumably named for a member of Lorenzo Sinyala's family?
5. What is the current age estimate of the eighth layer of the Grand Canyon.
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell about one thing Fletcher says in "Chapter 10, Exit," that did not turn out as he thought it would.
2. What type of conference did Fletcher attend a few weeks after the end of his journey through the Grand Canyon, and what did he learn there?
3. What are some ways Fletcher describes the Havasupai Indians in "Interlude?"
4. How long did it take Fletcher to travel from Bass Camp to Phantom Ranch, and how was that time period broken up?
5. What types of information did Fletcher receive from the National Park Visitor Center when he began to prepare for his trip?
6. At the end of the Epilogue are two updates. One is about information from "Part I, The Place." What is this update?
7. What were some adjustments Fletcher realized he must make during the beginning of his journey?
8. If performed as proposed, what were some of the possible effects of the proposed projects Fletcher warns the reader about in the Epilogue?
9. Briefly describe Fletcher's relationship with Dr. Harvey Butchart. Include a description of who Harvey Butchart was and how he helped Fletcher.
10. In "Chapter 5, Transition," why did Fletcher decide to proceed to Bass Camp along the terrace rather than forging a trail down Fossil Canyon to the Colorado River?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Fletcher's experience when he spends four days gathering information with Doug Powell near the end of his journey. Include positive and negative elements. Include information about who Powell is and explain whether or not this experience would have been the same if they had the same meeting under different circumstances.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Fletcher's re-entrance into civilization. What steps did he take to make sure he didn't go about it too quickly, and how did he react to society?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Fletcher's admiration and disapproval of William Wallace Bass.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)