|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What questions does Fletcher say he hoped he would find some solutions for as he traveled the Grand Canyon?
2. Who is the "The Man" in The Man Who Walked Through Time?
3. How did Fletcher redefine the path of his trip?
4. Whom does Fletcher credit with giving him the most knowledge of the Grand Canyon?
5. What did Fletcher say he saw even before he came close to the Grand Canyon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of information did Fletcher receive from the National Park Visitor Center when he began to prepare for his trip?
2. Shortly after beginning his journey, Fletcher found himself standing still on a rock platform over Hualpai Canyon. What did he notice while standing there?
3. Briefly describe the event that sparked Fletcher's desire to travel through the Grand Canyon alone.
4. Whom did Fletcher plan to meet in "the museum" in "Chapter 9, Man," and what connection did this person have to the history of the Canyon?
5. Several incidents surrounded the time Fletcher spent with David Powell in "Chapter 9, Man" Describe one of these incidents.
6. What does Fletcher say happened to him when he arrived at Phantom Ranch?
7. Describe the lifestyle of a compulsive walker as explained by Fletcher.
8. Explain what Fletcher states as the explanation for the formation of the Grand Canyon.
9. In "Chapter 4, Challenge," Fletcher details several "stupidities" that caused delays in his trip toward Sinyala Canyon. Describe one of these "stupidities."
10. Briefly describe the events surrounding the first supply drop Fletcher describes in "Chapter 4, Challenge."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two encounters Fletcher has with the wildlife in the Canyon. Compare his observations and experiences.
Essay Topic 2
Compare different aspects of Fletcher's personality. Include specific details from the book.
Essay Topic 3
In the Epilogue, Fletcher quotes Joseph Wood Krutch as saying, "When a man despoils a work of art we call him a vandal, when he despoils a work of nature we call him a developer." Discuss what this comment means and why it gives the reader insight into Fletcher's viewpoint on nature versus urban development.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)