|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Grand Canyon is found in the northern part of what state?
2. What was Fletcher's reaction upon his first trip to the Rim?
3. What is the current age estimate of the sixth layer of the Grand Canyon?
4. How long is the Grand Canyon?
5. With what event does "Chapter 5, Transition" begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some intrusions on the interior of the Grand Canyon that man would make to accomplish the projects Fletcher discusses in the Epilogue?
2. What were some changes Fletcher noticed soon after he left the platform over Hualpai Canyon?
3. Describe the different ways Fletcher arranged to receive supplies during his journey.
4. What were some ways Fletcher planned to deal with the barriers and challenges he expected to face on his journey?
5. Describe the reasons behind Fletcher's decision to make his trip in mid-April.
6. Where did Fletcher make camp his first night and how did he describe the area he picked for a campsite?
7. How long did it take Fletcher to travel from Bass Camp to Phantom Ranch, and how was that time period broken up?
8. What doubts, if any, did Fletcher have about the trek through the Canyon after he decided he wanted to do it?
9. In "Chapter 10, Exit," what were three of the things, serious or not, Fletcher says he had gained from his journey?
10. Fletcher decided to spend a week in an area just outside the Supai village. Describe what he did during that week.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare different aspects of Fletcher's personality. Include specific details from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Give five examples of imagery Fletcher uses in the book. Include details and reasons why imagery is such an important component of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe five different physical challenges that face Fletcher on his journey and how he overcomes them.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)