|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Fletcher say he saw even before he came close to the Grand Canyon?
2. What type of graphic is found at the beginning of "Part 3, The Journey?"
3. Where did Fletcher arrive in "Chapter 4, Challenge" that was such a relief to him?
4. Fletcher says while studying the Grand Canyon he realized the silence there was not a timeless one as he first thought. How does he define it instead?
5. What was Fletcher's reaction upon his first trip to the Rim?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who drove Fletcher to the starting point of his trip into the Canyon? Where was he from and how did he interact with and help Fletcher at the beginning of his journey?
2. In "Chapter 4, Challenge," Fletcher details several "stupidities" that caused delays in his trip toward Sinyala Canyon. Describe one of these "stupidities."
3. Describe Fletcher's reaction upon reaching the Esplanade at the beginning of "Chapter 4, Challenge."
4. What does Fletcher say happened to him when he arrived at Phantom Ranch?
5. What realization did Fletcher come to and write about in his journal as he noticed all the signs of man beside Nankoweap Creek in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
6. As Fletcher began to research the Grand Canyon in preparation for his journey, what were some of the barriers and challenges Fletcher realized he would need to consider?
7. During his week at Phantom Ranch, Fletcher experienced a change. What was this change, and what was one thing that contributed to it?
8. What are some ways Fletcher describes the Havasupai Indians in "Interlude?"
9. Describe one realization Fletcher reached while sitting under the juniper tree in "Chapter 2, Dreams."
10. How did Fletcher spend the year between his decision to travel through the Canyon and his actual start date?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Fletcher's experience when he spends four days gathering information with Doug Powell near the end of his journey. Include positive and negative elements. Include information about who Powell is and explain whether or not this experience would have been the same if they had the same meeting under different circumstances.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Fletcher's re-entrance into civilization. What steps did he take to make sure he didn't go about it too quickly, and how did he react to society?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two encounters Fletcher has with the wildlife in the Canyon. Compare his observations and experiences.
This section contains 1,695 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)