|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does "Part 1, The Place" begin?
2. When Fletcher's idea was first fully formed, what doubts bugged him?
3. What substance comprises the fourth layer of the Grand Canyon?
4. Why did Fletcher rule out following a route along the Colorado River?
5. What was Fletcher's only concern about the proposed trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What realization did Fletcher come to and write about in his journal as he noticed all the signs of man beside Nankoweap Creek in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
2. Tell about one thing Fletcher says in "Chapter 10, Exit," that did not turn out as he thought it would.
3. What president does Fletcher quote at the end of book, and what did the president say about the Canyon?
4. Several incidents surrounded the time Fletcher spent with David Powell in "Chapter 9, Man" Describe one of these incidents.
5. Describe the different ways Fletcher arranged to receive supplies during his journey.
6. Where did Fletcher make camp his first night and how did he describe the area he picked for a campsite?
7. If performed as proposed, what were some of the possible effects of the proposed projects Fletcher warns the reader about in the Epilogue?
8. Describe one aspect of the Havasupai Indians' current life that troubled or saddened Fletcher?
9. What were some adjustments Fletcher realized he must make during the beginning of his journey?
10. Describe the appearance of the Canyon as Fletcher describes it in "Chapter 2, The Dream."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Epilogue, Fletcher approaches the subject of preserving the Grand Canyon and other natural wonders. Explain what danger faced the Grand Canyon at that time. Give details about who was proposing the plan, what they intended to do, and what Fletcher believed could happen to the Canyon if they were allowed to continue. Include Fletcher's viewpoint on the matter.
Essay Topic 2
Fletcher might have been impulsive in some ways, but he planned the necessary parts of his journey carefully. Give some examples of different ways he planned before his trip and describe how these preparations saved him from disaster during the journey.
Essay Topic 3
Although Fletcher is in great physical shape and has lived a solitary simple lifestyle before, he has an adjustment period upon entering the Canyon. Describe the process Fletcher goes through to change himself physically and mentally to adapt to the journey during the first week.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)