|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did it take to for the Grand Canyon to form?
2. In "Chapter 4, Challenge," Fletcher describes the Esplanade as a maze. What constant choice does he say a traveler had to make all along the Esplanade?
3. What cheerful tribal tourist manager did Fletcher meet in "Chapter 3, Interlude?"
4. What did the note found in Fletcher's care package say?
5. According to the Fletcher, how did the changes in the earth that formed the Grand Canyon happen?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Fletcher began to research the Grand Canyon in preparation for his journey, what were some of the barriers and challenges Fletcher realized he would need to consider?
2. What are some ways Fletcher describes the Havasupai Indians in "Interlude?"
3. What were some of the "signs of man" Fletcher noticed as he approaches Phantom Ranch?
4. What type of conference did Fletcher attend a few weeks after the end of his journey through the Grand Canyon, and what did he learn there?
5. Where did Fletcher make camp his first night and how did he describe the area he picked for a campsite?
6. If performed as proposed, what were some of the possible effects of the proposed projects Fletcher warns the reader about in the Epilogue?
7. In "Chapter 10, Exit," what were three of the things, serious or not, Fletcher says he had gained from his journey?
8. At the very beginning of the Epilogue, what does Fletcher say might happen if man is not careful?
9. Describe the appearance of the Canyon as Fletcher describes it in "Chapter 2, The Dream."
10. Describe Fletcher's reaction upon reaching the Esplanade at the beginning of "Chapter 4, Challenge."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give five examples of imagery Fletcher uses in the book. Include details and reasons why imagery is such an important component of the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Fletcher's experience when he spends four days gathering information with Doug Powell near the end of his journey. Include positive and negative elements. Include information about who Powell is and explain whether or not this experience would have been the same if they had the same meeting under different circumstances.
Essay Topic 3
Describe five different physical challenges that face Fletcher on his journey and how he overcomes them.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)