|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how thick is the first layer of the Grand Canyon?
2. What is the area directly underneath the seventh layer of the Grand Canyon?
3. What is the current age estimate of the third layer of the Grand Canyon?
4. In "Chapter 4, Challenge," Fletcher describes the Esplanade as a maze. What constant choice does he say a traveler had to make all along the Esplanade?
5. In "Chapter 2, Reconnaissance," what does Fletcher say he realized during his trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Fletcher talked with Jim Bailey and a park naturalist in a cave at the beginning of "Chapter 6, Rock," he noticed something behind the words of Bailey and the other man. Describe what he noticed and what happened to it after they left.
2. Describe one realization Fletcher reached while sitting under the juniper tree in "Chapter 2, Dreams."
3. Explain what Fletcher states as the explanation for the formation of the Grand Canyon.
4. What type of conference did Fletcher attend a few weeks after the end of his journey through the Grand Canyon, and what did he learn there?
5. If performed as proposed, what were some of the possible effects of the proposed projects Fletcher warns the reader about in the Epilogue?
6. Describe the different ways Fletcher arranged to receive supplies during his journey.
7. What was the difference between how Fletcher viewed the area around Phantom Ranch and how those visiting more recently from the outside world viewed it in "Chapter 8, Life?"
8. What decision did Fletcher make in regard to obtaining information about the Canyon before his trip and why did he make this decision?
9. Describe one "compulsive walking" trip Fletcher mentions in a footnote of "Chapter 2, Dreams."
10. What was one part of his surroundings that Fletcher describes as he is in the cave and how does he describe it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Epilogue, Fletcher quotes Joseph Wood Krutch as saying, "When a man despoils a work of art we call him a vandal, when he despoils a work of nature we call him a developer." Discuss what this comment means and why it gives the reader insight into Fletcher's viewpoint on nature versus urban development.
Essay Topic 2
Describe five different physical challenges that face Fletcher on his journey and how he overcomes them.
Essay Topic 3
Describe different examples of how the Fletcher's experience living the simple life on other treks helps him survive and even thrive on the long journey through the Canyon.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)