|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fletcher says while studying the Grand Canyon he realized the silence there was not a timeless one as he first thought. How does he define it instead?
2. The Grand Canyon is found in the northern part of what state?
3. When did Fletcher's journey through the Grand Canyon begin?
4. What urge came to Fletcher's mind as he witnessed the different sights at the Rim?
5. What kind of condition was Fletcher in at the beginning of his trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe Fletcher's relationship with Dr. Harvey Butchart. Include a description of who Harvey Butchart was and how he helped Fletcher.
2. Describe one "compulsive walking" trip Fletcher mentions in a footnote of "Chapter 2, Dreams."
3. What were some adjustments Fletcher realized he must make during the beginning of his journey?
4. What were some changes Fletcher noticed soon after he left the platform over Hualpai Canyon?
5. Name and describe another aspect of the Canyon other than its appearance that struck Fletcher.
6. What realization did Fletcher come to and write about in his journal as he noticed all the signs of man beside Nankoweap Creek in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
7. What was one part of his surroundings that Fletcher describes as he is in the cave and how does he describe it?
8. In "Chapter 4, Challenge," Fletcher details several "stupidities" that caused delays in his trip toward Sinyala Canyon. Describe one of these "stupidities."
9. Explain what Fletcher states as the explanation for the formation of the Grand Canyon.
10. What were some ways Fletcher planned to deal with the barriers and challenges he expected to face on his journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe five different physical challenges that face Fletcher on his journey and how he overcomes them.
Essay Topic 2
Fletcher might have been impulsive in some ways, but he planned the necessary parts of his journey carefully. Give some examples of different ways he planned before his trip and describe how these preparations saved him from disaster during the journey.
Essay Topic 3
Although Fletcher is in great physical shape and has lived a solitary simple lifestyle before, he has an adjustment period upon entering the Canyon. Describe the process Fletcher goes through to change himself physically and mentally to adapt to the journey during the first week.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)