|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the current age estimate of the sixth layer of the Grand Canyon?
2. What are layers 4 through 6 of the Grand Canyon called?
3. What did Fletcher find difficult, if not impossible, to mentally grasp and understand in "Chapter 1, Entrance?"
4. How long did Dr. Harvey Butchart study the Grand Canyon?
5. When Fletcher's idea was first fully formed, what doubts bugged him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some intrusions on the interior of the Grand Canyon that man would make to accomplish the projects Fletcher discusses in the Epilogue?
2. In "Chapter 2, The Dream," where did Fletcher decide to plant two caches of food supplies and why?
3. What decision did Fletcher make in regard to obtaining information about the Canyon before his trip and why did he make this decision?
4. Briefly describe Fletcher's relationship with Dr. Harvey Butchart. Include a description of who Harvey Butchart was and how he helped Fletcher.
5. During his week at Phantom Ranch, Fletcher experienced a change. What was this change, and what was one thing that contributed to it?
6. In "Chapter 4, Challenge," Fletcher details several "stupidities" that caused delays in his trip toward Sinyala Canyon. Describe one of these "stupidities."
7. What were some of the "signs of man" Fletcher noticed as he approaches Phantom Ranch?
8. How does Fletcher say the new perspective and understanding he gained on his journey changed him in society?
9. Several incidents surrounded the time Fletcher spent with David Powell in "Chapter 9, Man" Describe one of these incidents.
10. Explain what Fletcher states as the explanation for the formation of the Grand Canyon.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, Fletcher details many mishaps, which he calls "stupidities." Discuss three of these giving details about the events, how Fletcher dealt with them, and the outcomes. Describe what Fletcher's reaction to these events says about his character.
Essay Topic 2
Compare different aspects of Fletcher's personality. Include specific details from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Although Fletcher is in great physical shape and has lived a solitary simple lifestyle before, he has an adjustment period upon entering the Canyon. Describe the process Fletcher goes through to change himself physically and mentally to adapt to the journey during the first week.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)