|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Grand Canyon is found in the northern part of what state?
2. What lifestyle does Fletcher describe in a footnote in "Part 2, The Dream?"
3. What material comprises the sixth layer of the Grand Canyon?
4. What material makes up the seventh layer of the Grand Canyon?
5. Where did Fletcher go to ask questions about the area in which he would be traveling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was one part of his surroundings that Fletcher describes as he is in the cave and how does he describe it?
2. Briefly describe Fletcher's relationship with Dr. Harvey Butchart. Include a description of who Harvey Butchart was and how he helped Fletcher.
3. Name and describe another aspect of the Canyon other than its appearance that struck Fletcher.
4. How does Fletcher say the new perspective and understanding he gained on his journey changed him in society?
5. Describe Fletcher's reaction upon reaching the Esplanade at the beginning of "Chapter 4, Challenge."
6. What town did Fletcher say he wanted to drive through on his way home from his journey through the Grand Canyon and why?
7. As Fletcher talked with Jim Bailey and a park naturalist in a cave at the beginning of "Chapter 6, Rock," he noticed something behind the words of Bailey and the other man. Describe what he noticed and what happened to it after they left.
8. What were some changes Fletcher noticed soon after he left the platform over Hualpai Canyon?
9. At the very beginning of the Epilogue, what does Fletcher say might happen if man is not careful?
10. What does Fletcher say is the bottom line reason for the proposed projects in the Epilogue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the transformation of how Fletcher perceives the Havasupai Indians from the time he first encounters them in their village to when he leaves. Include details about his theories on how the influence of civilized man changed them.
Essay Topic 2
Compare different aspects of Fletcher's personality. Include specific details from the book.
Essay Topic 3
In the Epilogue, Fletcher quotes Joseph Wood Krutch as saying, "When a man despoils a work of art we call him a vandal, when he despoils a work of nature we call him a developer." Discuss what this comment means and why it gives the reader insight into Fletcher's viewpoint on nature versus urban development.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)