|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Fletcher go to ask questions about the area in which he would be traveling?
2. What is the current age estimate of the second layer of the Grand Canyon?
3. With what event does "Chapter 5, Transition" begin?
4. What is another name for the Erosion Surface?
5. What river still runs at the bottom of the Grand Canyon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe one "compulsive walking" trip Fletcher mentions in a footnote of "Chapter 2, Dreams."
2. What types of information can be obtained from the graph on the first page of "Part 3, The Journey?"
3. Where did Fletcher decide to spend the last two weeks of his trip. What did he call the place, and what did he plan to learn there?
4. Briefly describe Fletcher's relationship with Dr. Harvey Butchart. Include a description of who Harvey Butchart was and how he helped Fletcher.
5. What were some changes Fletcher noticed soon after he left the platform over Hualpai Canyon?
6. At the end of the Epilogue are two updates. One is about information from "Part I, The Place." What is this update?
7. In "Chapter 5, Transition," why did Fletcher decide to proceed to Bass Camp along the terrace rather than forging a trail down Fossil Canyon to the Colorado River?
8. Explain what Fletcher states as the explanation for the formation of the Grand Canyon.
9. What are some ways Fletcher describes the Havasupai Indians in "Interlude?"
10. Describe the appearance of the Canyon as Fletcher describes it in "Chapter 2, The Dream."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two encounters Fletcher has with the wildlife in the Canyon. Compare his observations and experiences.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Fletcher's experience when he spends four days gathering information with Doug Powell near the end of his journey. Include positive and negative elements. Include information about who Powell is and explain whether or not this experience would have been the same if they had the same meeting under different circumstances.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two dangers Fletcher faces during his journey. Explain how he prepared for such dangers. Give details about the dangers and events if any where they could have changed the outcome of the journey. Conclude your essay with how Fletcher avoided the dangers and what would have happened if he had acted differently.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)