|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the current age estimate of the eighth layer of the Grand Canyon.
2. What did Fletcher pass and nearly miss altogether in "Chapter 4, Challenge?"
3. What lifestyle does Fletcher describe in a footnote in "Part 2, The Dream?"
4. What material makes up the first and youngest layer of the Grand Canyon?
5. How long after he saw the Grand Canyon for the first time did Fletcher begin his trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of "Chapter 5, Transition," Fletcher details how the airdrop has affected him. Describe this realization.
2. Describe the different ways Fletcher arranged to receive supplies during his journey.
3. In "Chapter 5, Transition," why did Fletcher decide to proceed to Bass Camp along the terrace rather than forging a trail down Fossil Canyon to the Colorado River?
4. Whom did Fletcher plan to meet in "the museum" in "Chapter 9, Man," and what connection did this person have to the history of the Canyon?
5. What were the first three signs of man that Fletcher noticed after washing in Nankoweap Creek near the end of his journey in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
6. How long did it take Fletcher to travel from Bass Camp to Phantom Ranch, and how was that time period broken up?
7. At the end of the Epilogue are two updates. One is about information from "Part I, The Place." What is this update?
8. Describe the appearance of the Canyon as Fletcher describes it in "Chapter 2, The Dream."
9. At the very beginning of the Epilogue, what does Fletcher say might happen if man is not careful?
10. What does Fletcher say was part of the problem with trying to convince engineers that the projects were a bad idea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two dangers Fletcher faces during his journey. Explain how he prepared for such dangers. Give details about the dangers and events if any where they could have changed the outcome of the journey. Conclude your essay with how Fletcher avoided the dangers and what would have happened if he had acted differently.
Essay Topic 2
In a footnote, Fletcher briefly describes his life as a compulsive walker and gives a few details about another long journey he took in the past. In your own words, describe the lifestyle of a compulsive walker and give reasons why this lifestyle helped Fletcher have a successful journey through the Grand Canyon.
Essay Topic 3
Compare different aspects of Fletcher's personality. Include specific details from the book.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)