|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what did Fletcher begin to worry in "Chapter 3, Interlude?"
2. What is considered the top layer of the Grand Canyon?
3. How long did it take to for the Grand Canyon to form?
4. How long after he saw the Grand Canyon for the first time did Fletcher begin his trip?
5. According to the Fletcher, how did the changes in the earth that formed the Grand Canyon happen?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Fletcher talked with Jim Bailey and a park naturalist in a cave at the beginning of "Chapter 6, Rock," he noticed something behind the words of Bailey and the other man. Describe what he noticed and what happened to it after they left.
2. In "Chapter 5, Transition," why did Fletcher decide to proceed to Bass Camp along the terrace rather than forging a trail down Fossil Canyon to the Colorado River?
3. What were some adjustments Fletcher realized he must make during the beginning of his journey?
4. How long did it take Fletcher to travel from Bass Camp to Phantom Ranch, and how was that time period broken up?
5. At the beginning of "Chapter 5, Transition," Fletcher details how the airdrop has affected him. Describe this realization.
6. Briefly describe the event that sparked Fletcher's desire to travel through the Grand Canyon alone.
7. At the end of the Epilogue are two updates. One is about information from "Part I, The Place." What is this update?
8. What were the first three signs of man that Fletcher noticed after washing in Nankoweap Creek near the end of his journey in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
9. What were some intrusions on the interior of the Grand Canyon that man would make to accomplish the projects Fletcher discusses in the Epilogue?
10. Several incidents surrounded the time Fletcher spent with David Powell in "Chapter 9, Man" Describe one of these incidents.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fletcher might have been impulsive in some ways, but he planned the necessary parts of his journey carefully. Give some examples of different ways he planned before his trip and describe how these preparations saved him from disaster during the journey.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two people who influenced Fletcher either before, during, or after his journey. Give detailed descriptions of who they were and how they became part of Fletcher's experience. Compare their lives and the ways they influenced Fletcher.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Fletcher's re-entrance into civilization. What steps did he take to make sure he didn't go about it too quickly, and how did he react to society?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)