Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 4, Challenge," Fletcher describes the Esplanade as a maze. What constant choice does he say a traveler had to make all along the Esplanade?
2. What did Fletcher say he saw even before he came close to the Grand Canyon?
3. What did "Part II, The Dream" describe?
4. Why was the place where Fletcher arrived in "Chapter 4, Challenge" such a relief to his spirit?
5. The Grand Canyon is found in the northern part of what state?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name and describe another aspect of the Canyon other than its appearance that struck Fletcher.
2. Whom did Fletcher plan to meet in "the museum" in "Chapter 9, Man," and what connection did this person have to the history of the Canyon?
3. Near the end of "Chapter 9, Man," what physical challenge did Fletcher have to conquer to reach his last air-drop and his route out of the Canyon?
4. Tell about one thing Fletcher says in "Chapter 10, Exit," that did not turn out as he thought it would.
5. Where did Fletcher decide to spend the last two weeks of his trip. What did he call the place, and what did he plan to learn there?
6. Fletcher decided to spend a week in an area just outside the Supai village. Describe what he did during that week.
7. What were some of the "signs of man" Fletcher noticed as he approaches Phantom Ranch?
8. During his week at Phantom Ranch, Fletcher experienced a change. What was this change, and what was one thing that contributed to it?
9. What were some intrusions on the interior of the Grand Canyon that man would make to accomplish the projects Fletcher discusses in the Epilogue?
10. At the end of the Epilogue are two updates. One is about information from the original Epilogue. Summarize the information in this update.
Essay Topic 1
Describe five different physical challenges that face Fletcher on his journey and how he overcomes them.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two dangers Fletcher faces during his journey. Explain how he prepared for such dangers. Give details about the dangers and events if any where they could have changed the outcome of the journey. Conclude your essay with how Fletcher avoided the dangers and what would have happened if he had acted differently.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two encounters Fletcher has with the wildlife in the Canyon. Compare his observations and experiences.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)