|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of "Chapter 8, Life" what did Fletcher say he should have known "would drag me back into the present?"
(a) Becoming ill.
(b) The Great Unconformity.
(c) Phantom Ranch.
(d) Seeing a little boy playing in the dirt.
2. What does Fletcher mainly address in "Part 4, Epilogue?"
(a) Fletcher's writings after his journey through the Grand Canyon.
(b) Environmental concerns for the Grand Canyon.
(c) Fletcher's day-to-day routines outside the Grand Canyon.
(d) The need for a progressive tourism industry in the Grand Canyon.
3. In "Chapter 9, Man," Fletcher planned to spend several days with a friend researching the Canyon. Who was this friend?
(a) John Wesley Powell.
(b) Jim Bailey.
(c) Dr. Harvey Butchart.
(d) Doug Powell.
4. In "Part 4, Epilogue" what does Fletcher say no man has a right to do?
(a) Stop the progress of other men.
(b) Vandalize a natural museum.
(c) Build dams.
(d) Build cities.
5. What did Fletcher say would be different about how he will fit into society?
(a) He planned to camp outside the Canyon protesting tourists.
(b) He planned to live as a hermit.
(c) He thought he would be a better citizen because of his new insights.
(d) He was afraid he would not fit in well after spending so much time alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of "Chapter 6, Rock" what was one of the things Fletcher noticed and described that was in the cave where his first cache was stored?
2. How did Fletcher feel about the meeting he attended in "Part 4, Epiogue?"
3. To what did Fletcher attribute the distance traveled from Bass Trail to Phantom Ranch?
4. As Fletcher approached Phantom Ranch, what did he begin to notice?
5. What was one sad reflection Fletcher recorded in his notebook in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)