|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Fletcher's observations, how did people fresh from the city view the area near Phantom Ranch?
(a) As a luxury vacation spot.
(b) As a sanctuary and the end of civilization.
(c) As a tourist trap.
(d) As paradise.
2. What was the 3rd intrusion from the outside world that Fletcher describes in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
(a) A family putting in a boat at the shore of the Colorado River.
(b) Jim Bailey landing a plane on an airstrip.
(c) A stone cairn containing a rusty can.
(d) A skywriter writing a marriage proposal in the sky.
3. In "Chapter 7, Rhythm," how does Fletcher describe the change in how he connected to the Canyon?
(a) It began as a search for undiscovered wildlife and ended as a successful research trip.
(b) It began as a dream and ended as a tragedy.
(c) It began as fragmented parts and sights and ended as a crystallized, cohesive experience.
(d) It began as an enjoyable adventure and ended in pain and discouragement.
4. What other changes was Fletcher concerned would occur if the Pacific Southwest Water Plan passed?
(a) Graffiti and pollution would spoil the surfaces of the cliff dwellings.
(b) The tourist industry at the Grand Canyon would die, taking money with it.
(c) Fletcher's book wouldn't sell because no one would want to visit the Grand Canyon anymore.
(d) The Grand Canyon would be used as a landfill.
5. What did Fletcher say would be different about how he would fit into society after his experience in the Grand Canyon?
(a) He planned to camp outside the Canyon protesting tourists.
(b) He planned to live as a hermit.
(c) He thought he would be a better citizen because of his new insights.
(d) He was afraid he would not fit in well after spending so much time alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first intrusion from the outside world that Fletcher outlines in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
2. What realization did Fletcher reach as he spent time observing wildlife on the sand bar?
3. What action by William Wallace Bass did Fletcher disagree with?
4. What types of activities did Fletcher describe in "Chapter 7, Rhythm?"
5. As Fletcher approached Phantom Ranch, what did he begin to notice?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)