|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Fletcher, what physical effects could the Pacific Southwest Water Plan have had on the Grand Canyon?
(a) It would have no real effect.
(b) The walls of the Grand Canyon would crumble.
(c) The dams would flood the whole Canyon.
(d) The Colorado River could disappear and wildlife would die.
2. What was one sad reflection Fletcher recorded in his notebook in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
(a) He said he would miss the beavers.
(b) He said he dreaded sleeping in a house again.
(c) He said for a while other places would look dull.
(d) He said he would probably never visit the Grand Canyon again.
3. On his journey from Bass Trail to Phantom Ranch, where did Fletcher spend a day doing reconnaissance?
(a) The Inner Gorge.
(b) The Steel Bridge.
(c) The Colorado River.
(d) The Supai Village.
4. In what ancient living quarters did Fletcher sleep in "Chapter 9, Man?"
(a) An adobe hut on beside the Colorado River.
(b) A natural cave.
(c) An ancient oak.
(d) Cliff dwellings.
5. According to Fletcher, what was the motivation behind the Pacific Southwest Water Plan engineers?
(a) They wanted the challenge and were trying to save their jobs.
(b) They wanted to divert tourism away from the Grand Canyon to preserve it.
(c) They wanted to divert water from the Grand Canyon so it would stop changing and remain beautiful forever.
(d) They were concerned for wildlife that was dying because of a drought.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Fletcher get along with his friend during their time studying the Grand Canyon?
2. What animal does Fletcher say lived in significant numbers in the area past the head of Forester Canyon?
3. In contrast to people fresh from the city, how did Fletcher view the area near Phantom Ranch?
4. How does Fletcher describe the last barrier he passed after leaving Phantom Ranch as he made his way toward his next air drop?
5. Why did Fletcher sound strange when he spoke to Jim Bailey in "Chapter 6, Rock?"
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)