|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Fletcher feel about leaving the Canyon in "Chapter 10 Exit?"
(a) He was disappointed that he could not stay another week.
(b) He was so sad, he cried.
(c) He was ready to be up and out.
(d) He wanted to stay and build a dude ranch.
2. What was on the sheets of paper Fletcher found in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
(a) A daily bulletin from 1947 about a Colorado River expedition.
(b) Instructions from Jim Bailey.
(c) Instructions for exiting the Grand Canyon safely.
(d) A note from Doug Powell.
3. What other changes was Fletcher concerned would occur if the Pacific Southwest Water Plan passed.
(a) The Grand Canyon would be used as a landfill.
(b) The tourist industry at the Grand Canyon would die, taking money with it.
(c) Fletcher's book wouldn't sell because no one would want to visit the Grand Canyon anymore.
(d) Graffiti and pollution would spoil the surfaces of the cliff dwellings.
4. How does Fletcher describe the last barrier he passed after leaving Phantom Ranch as he made his way toward his next air drop?
(a) An area with a high population of mountain lions.
(b) A cliff with "snaggle-toothed projections" on its face.
(c) A deep ravine that drops off into another canyon.
(d) A rapid flowing portion of the river with sharp rocks and no bridge.
5. In contrast to people fresh from the city, how did Fletcher view the area near Phantom Ranch?
(a) As a dirty and run-down slum.
(b) As an animal sanctuary.
(c) As a scientific research center.
(d) As civilization, padded with comforts such as fresh food, electricity, and swimming pools.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Fletcher, what physical effects could the Pacific Southwest Water Plan have had on the Grand Canyon?
2. What was one sad reflection Fletcher recorded in his notebook in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
3. At the beginning of "Chapter 6, Rock" what was one of the things Fletcher noticed and described that was in the cave where his first cache was stored?
4. At the beginning of "Chapter 10, Exit," what does Fletcher say caught up with him while he was washing in the Nankoweap Creek?
5. What was Fletcher afraid would be the most tragic loss for the Grand Canyon if the proposed water plan went through?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)