|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect did the intrusions have on Fletcher?
(a) He realized they had ruined his search for the gallery marked "Man."
(b) They made him angry at civilization.
(c) They made him miss his loved ones.
(d) They made him want to turn around and return to the interior of the Canyon.
2. In "Chapter 9, Man," Fletcher planned to spend several days with a friend researching the Canyon. Who was this friend?
(a) John Wesley Powell.
(b) Doug Powell.
(c) Jim Bailey.
(d) Dr. Harvey Butchart.
3. Whom does Fletcher quote at the end of "Part 4, Epilogue" as saying the Grand Canyon should be left alone?
(a) President Theodore Roosevelt.
(b) John Wayne.
(c) Roy Rogers.
(d) President Ronald Reagan.
4. According to Fletcher, what was the motivation behind the Pacific Southwest Water Plan engineers?
(a) They were concerned for wildlife that was dying because of a drought.
(b) They wanted to divert water from the Grand Canyon so it would stop changing and remain beautiful forever.
(c) They wanted to divert tourism away from the Grand Canyon to preserve it.
(d) They wanted the challenge and were trying to save their jobs.
5. What did Fletcher say would be different about how he would fit into society after his experience in the Grand Canyon?
(a) He planned to camp outside the Canyon protesting tourists.
(b) He was afraid he would not fit in well after spending so much time alone.
(c) He planned to live as a hermit.
(d) He thought he would be a better citizen because of his new insights.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jim Bailey and the Park naturalist carry with them back over the Rim after speaking with Fletcher in the limestone cave?
2. What was the 2nd intrusion from the outside world that Fletcher describes in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
3. How long did it take Fletcher to travel from Bass Trail to Phantom Ranch?
4. In what ancient living quarters did Fletcher sleep in "Chapter 9, Man?"
5. What creatures did Fletcher enjoy observing after passing the last barrier past Phantom Ranch?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)